Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
Ms A. how could you? Those pigs were two days away from retirement!

E: poo poo, 13/6/1956 the last of the British troops leave the Suez canal zone in Egypt

DiscoWitch fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

njsykora posted:

I did look at their post history and its almost entirely in a wargame thread about how good British tanks are though.

British tanks were bad though

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Outrageous but entirely unsurprising, also imagine being enough of a loser that you put "Rt Hon [name] MP" as your whatsapp name

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Yeah. Great fun but very easy to accidentally over do it. Start slow with a low dose, set the timer on your phone, never mix with even a drop of alcohol.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

feedmegin posted:

British tanks were bad though

Not in the most important sense, which is the meme potential.

We put the biggest willy extension on the sherman until it got sold to Israel.

DiscoWitch
Oct 16, 2009

uwu
The tortoise was my favourite british tank, and the covenanter.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

CGI Stardust posted:

If you're in the UK, sure; abroad might take some work to look at postage etc. but might still be doable. If you're just starting out, I could pin up some standard pin tumbler euros 2-pin, 3-pin, a couple of 4-pin, then one or two 5 or 6 pin? Whatever works; let me know what you're looking for.
I haven't yet fled the land of red, white and blue Brexit. Definitely starting out, is there a beginner's lockpick set that's particularly good value or is whatever has 4 or more stars on amazon fine?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my favorite british tank was the crusader because its a piece of poo poo in world of tanks

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I suppose the complicating factor is they're also used to grant access to carers/emergency workers to houses of vulnerable people.

This. My severely disabled single parent relative had one living alone with her young son, my elderly mother has one.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

When we have these discussions about rent and stuff it always seems a shame to me that we couldn't get some kind of UKMT housing co-op going.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Challenger II best tank :colbert:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Early-war British tanks were absolutely astonishing crap, late-war British tanks were quite good but flawed (they had paper armour and were ugly as sin, but they had very respectable guns and were blindingly fast), and we made one genuinely brilliant, revolutionary tank (the Centurion) just as the war was wrapping up.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The only good tanks are WW1 tanks.

The worst tanks are think tanks. Adam Smith Institute, I'm looking at you.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

This is pretty obviously written to be 'leaked'. Nobody talks like that IRL.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

StarkingBarfish posted:

MPs don't live IRL.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

StarkingBarfish posted:

Just look at how IDS's name is written. Who the hell has him in their contact list as Rt Hon?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

Just look at how IDS's name is written. Who the hell has him in their contact list as Rt Hon?

It'd be confusing if every Tory MP in your address was just "oval office"

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Darth Walrus posted:

Early-war British tanks were absolutely astonishing crap, late-war British tanks were quite good but flawed (they had paper armour and were ugly as sin, but they had very respectable guns and were blindingly fast), and we made one genuinely brilliant, revolutionary tank (the Centurion) just as the war was wrapping up.

We proved the concept of the Main Battle Tank when prior to the Centurion the standard thinking was that "Speed. Guns. Armor. Pick two." and that was it, so showing that we could actually have all three with a reasonable weight was pretty wild.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Endorph posted:

my favorite british tank was the crusader because its a piece of poo poo in world of tanks

The crusader is really good you're just a tomato OP

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The americans, russians, and germans all actually went with some kind of "generally good tank" idea, the british insistence of holding onto the interwar idea of making fast shooty tanks or slow crawly tanks was a bit of an oddity.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/GdnPolitics/status/1170727883351814144

quote:

Andrew Griffiths, 48, resigned as minister for small business last July after it was revealed he had sent 2,000 sexual texts to Imogen Treharne, a barmaid, and her friend in just 21 days, weeks after the birth of his first child. The watchdog said it had not found evidence that the Burton and Uttoxeter MP sent the messages while engaged in parliamentary activities and allegations that he breached the House of Commons code of conduct were not upheld.

Griffiths is said to have bombarded Treharne, 28, and her friend with messages in which he referred to himself as “Daddy” and asked for explicit photos.

A resolution letter said: “Mr Griffiths’ conduct has undoubtedly damaged his own reputation, as well as his health and family relationships. However damaging these events have been for Mr Griffths personally, I am not persuaded that the texts he exchanged with the two women have caused significant damage to the reputation of the House of Commons as a whole, or of its Members generally.”
The system works!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean that's true, we already know the government is full of sexual deviants.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Honestly 'sent thousands of harrassing texts' is probably a step up in reputation for most Tory MPs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

The americans, russians, and germans all actually went with some kind of "generally good tank" idea, the british insistence of holding onto the interwar idea of making fast shooty tanks or slow crawly tanks was a bit of an oddity.
Infantry tanks and cavalry tanks!

The real oddity is that you can rile war nerds by calling self propelled guns artillery tanks.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

They're all widely known to be a bunch of nonces, so harassing a 28-year old doesn't make them bat an eye

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

Infantry tanks and cavalry tanks!

The real oddity is that you can rile war nerds by calling self propelled guns artillery tanks.

US Tank Destroyer Doctrine.

Discuss.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

I mean that's true, we already know the government is full of sexual deviants.

Why else do you think the Tory party is so preoccupied with applying or withholding the whip?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a small mercy they never tried actually make a jousting tank.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

2000 in 21 days is quite a lot though.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

It's a small mercy they never tried actually make a jousting tank.
Didn't they do something like that during Waco?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah and they all got somewhere along the line and then we cannonballed into the fray with the Centurion and made them all look like assholes :laugh:

e; the real question is whether it will ever be possible for someone to build a "Main Battle 'Mech" or are we gonna have to keep running around in everything from Locusts to Atlas-IIs

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 8, 2019

archaeo
Nov 5, 2009

may the power of Hecate compel you

Ms Adequate posted:

We proved the concept of the Main Battle Tank when prior to the Centurion the standard thinking was that "Speed. Guns. Armor. Pick two." and that was it, so showing that we could actually have all three with a reasonable weight was pretty wild.

T-34, Comrade :crossarms:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

archaeo posted:

T-34, Comrade :crossarms:

Eh I guesssssss but...

actually I don't really have anything I guess I've just straight up forgotten an awful lot of knowledge about tanks in the last decade :v:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Found Exioce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyGND49CBYk

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Wow Stewart Lee looks so young and slim in that video. I saw his show last month and he is pretty fat now.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

We should all be storing mass. Brexit and all.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

marktheando posted:

Wow Stewart Lee looks so young and slim in that video. I saw his show last month and he is pretty fat now.

Terry Christian has let himself go.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

marktheando posted:

TBH given his well-documented gut problems that might not be a bad thing, depending on how well he's actually eating.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

OwlFancier posted:

The Americans didn't really get their act together until the end of the war, although then again they didn't really start fighting until the end of the war either so :shrug:

British tanks were especially bad though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, not exactly. Tanks at the time were divided into light, medium, and heavy machines (although British latewar cruisers were really medium-lights, big tanks with big guns, big engines, and zero armour). There were some fairly good medium tanks out there, like the T-34 and later the Panther, but they didn't have the firepower or survivability of true heavies, and even the lightest, fastest heavies like the Russian IS were still slow, lumbering beasts. That was what true main battle tanks like the Centurion brought to the table - proper heavy tank firepower on something that could actually climb hills and turn corners. It was great at everything, not merely OK at everything like a midwar medium.