Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Spellman posted:

with no abrasive buttons

Wasn't the d-pad the second sharpest one ever made after the Dreamcast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Mulderman posted:

It's fun. The boss in the subway can eat a bag of dicks though.
oh goody, there's a boss worse than Hibari? Where the gimmick is "what if you were suddenly fighting a Robot Master from Mega Man, but one that is never within reach and has enemy encounters during it?"

The Merkinman fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Tirade posted:

Is the deadly premonition port any good? Everyone seems hyped for the sequel but I've never played the original.

It has visual and audio issues but is apparently getting an update. Maybe wait a bit.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Cartoon Violence posted:

So this is just a general Nintendo question technically but it now counts as a Switch question thanks to the SNESflix I got. Let's say I care about the story of Metroid games in the same way I care about Zelda story and lore, that is to say, a decent amount. I've never played a Metroid game before but love Metroidvanias. I know that there's actually a set timeline of Samus' story throughout the Metroid games that is different than the order the games came out. Are the stories interconnected enough that I should play the games in story order, or is it more like Zelda's "general setting timeline but every game is a separate mostly unrelated event"?

Super Metroid starts with a short cutscene to get you up to speed with the plot from NES Metroid and Metroid 2, so there's no real need to play those aside from maybe a historical interest of seeing how much of a huge leap of player experience it is to go from Metroid to super Metroid.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’d recommend playing Metroid 1 and 2 first before Super but play the remakes instead. Zero Mission and Samus Returns.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Super Metroid starts with a short cutscene to get you up to speed with the plot from NES Metroid and Metroid 2,

THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY

THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I’d recommend playing Metroid 1 and 2 first before Super but play the remakes instead. Zero Mission and Samus Returns.

This is a good idea, both are so much better than the originals.

Though Zero mission adds stuff but it doesn’t really matter

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Zero Mission is so drat good and may be my favorite of the serious. Now I want GBA games on Switch.:argh:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

It's definitely possible to sequence break in Super Metroid, even on accident. I don't think you can get yourself stuck, but you can definitely make the game a lot more difficult and confusing than it needs to be. The first time I played all the way through, I completely missed the high jump boots, x-ray scope, and grapple beam.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Now that we got SNES games, I'm ready to start complaining about the lack of GBA games.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BisterdDave posted:

Now that we got SNES games, I'm ready to start complaining about the lack of GBA games.

I hope we get GB and GBC games too.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Is river city girls good?

My opinion of it has progressed to 'aggressively mediocre.' The game has a lot of charm and visual flair but it fumbles just about all of gameplay elements to some degree or another. The enemy design gets incredibly hit-spongy, the bosses suck, the shopping never really got any more interesting, the Dojo is a massive money sink for how full of duds it winds up becoming (let me see or test these moves already, Jimmy!), and there's a lot of just baffling design decisions (like how your light attack button eventually does a thousand different things and 'throwing a punch' is at the bottom of the priority list.) It's not as good as RCR Underground and is about on par with Tokyo Rumble, which was also a charming but flawed game. It's not a bad game but I'm not exactly jonsing to dive back in for another go.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope we get GB and GBC games too.

I mean, to have temporary access to Nintendo's entire library would be a dream come true. Only Nintendo Online can make that dream happen!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Literally every WayForward game can be described as "charming from an artistic standpoint, with baffling design decisions that bog down an otherwise alright game"

The second Shantae game was pretty good though.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Violence posted:

So this is just a general Nintendo question technically but it now counts as a Switch question thanks to the SNESflix I got. Let's say I care about the story of Metroid games in the same way I care about Zelda story and lore, that is to say, a decent amount. I've never played a Metroid game before but love Metroidvanias. I know that there's actually a set timeline of Samus' story throughout the Metroid games that is different than the order the games came out. Are the stories interconnected enough that I should play the games in story order, or is it more like Zelda's "general setting timeline but every game is a separate mostly unrelated event"?

as long as you stay away from the one game we don't mention you're gonna be fine

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Why has no other zelda game let you shoot arrows out of midair like LttP? It's dope.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Your Computer posted:

as long as you stay away from the one game we don't mention you're gonna be fine

Lol I literally forgot about that game til just now

At the time I liked the gameplay and look of it quite a bit. The flipping the Wiimote to go into first person view was cool. If you could strip every story element out of it I think it would be a pretty alright game.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Cartoon Violence posted:

I think Super Metroid is a good place to start. Metroid 1 and 2 come before it chronologically, but they're both pretty light on story, and I don't think you'll miss much by jumping to Super Metroid. Read a brief synopsis of the first two games if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Like Heath said, story is often in the background, and is mostly told through the setting and mood of the games, which are fantastic. It's fun to get absorbed in the setting and wonder what these foreign worlds are like, and what happened here before you arrived. In each of the games, Samus is the same Samus, but the narrative in each game is light enough that the order isn't very important. Another reason to start with Super Metroid: it's really good.

Metroid 1 captures the mood of being lost in a foreign, hostile world, but it's really directionless and lots of areas look similar, so it's easy to get lost and frustrated. (I played it as a kid, and had to draw out a map on paper for myself.) Metroid 2 (Return of Samus) is bland and repetitive, so I think it's generally skippable. The remakes of both 1 and 2 are pretty good, but there's something special about Super Metroid. I also like Fusion, which comes after Super Metroid. People also seem to like the Prime games, although I played the first one and it was a little too long for me, so I never finished it. So start with Super Metroid and, if you like it enough, go back and test out Metroid 1, but don't feel compelled to finish it if you aren't having fun. Then check out any of the games that interest you.

DorianGravy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 8, 2019

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

PantsBandit posted:

Why has no other zelda game let you shoot arrows out of midair like LttP? It's dope.

You can do this in breath of the wild, iirc.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Stop being such goons, you CLODS!

Yeah, I have the ability to play Prime Trilogy, Zero Mission, AM2R, Super Metroid, and Fusion and I guess wanted to know if going in story order would be more fun. Sounds like it would! Or at the very least starting with Zero Mission won't hurt. Had no idea that the Prime games took place before 2, and that Fusion is the end, for instance. Sounds like I've got some Metroiding to do while AutoHotKey grinds every Job on every character to 99 in Final Fantasy 3!

DorianGravy posted:

I think Super Metroid is a good place to start. Metroid 1 and 2 come before it chronologically, but they're both pretty light on story, and I don't think you'll miss much by jumping to Super Metroid. Read a brief synopsis of the first two games if you want, but I don't think it's necessary. Like Heath said, story is often in the background, and is mostly told through the setting and mood of the games, which are fantastic. It's fun to get absorbed in the setting and wonder what these foreign worlds are like, and what happened here before you arrived. In each of the games, Samus is the same Samus, but the narrative in each game is light enough that the order isn't very important. Another reason to start with Super Metroid: it's really good.

Metroid 1 captures the mood of being lost in a foreign, hostile world, but it's really directionless and lots of areas look similar, so it's easy to get lost and frustrated. (I played it as a kid, and had to draw out a map on paper for myself.) Metroid 2 (Return of Samus) is bland and repetitive, so I think it's generally skippable. The remakes of both 1 and 2 are pretty good, but there's something special about Super Metroid. I also like Fusion, which comes after Super Metroid. Fusion is also fun, and people seem to like the Prime games, although I played the first one and it was a little too long for me, so I never finished it. So start with Super Metroid and, if you like it enough, go back and test out Metroid 1, but don't feel compelled to finish it if you aren't having fun. Then check out any of the games that interest you.
Thank you and everyone else for the fast good replies! I think I'm definitely going to play Super Metroid soon. Maybe after Zero Mission and AM2R, or maybe just open palm slam it straight into my Switch.

Cartoon Violence fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 8, 2019

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There is literally a Square game on the service

Square published the first BoF game in NA but it's a Capcom franchise, they haven't put any of their own games out there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

You can do this in breath of the wild, iirc.

That was my thought as well but I wasn't able to find any documentation...

I definitely have a new appreciation for the comparisons between BotW and LttP.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Artelier posted:

I'm used to switching off items I'm not using? Like how I power off my PS3 and PS4? I wanted to turn off the plug itself on the dock.

Not sure if there's any advantage or anything, just a habit I've got.

think of it more like your phone or a tablet, unless you also completely shut those down when you're not using them

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Cartoon Violence posted:

Yeah, I have the ability to play Prime Trilogy, Zero Mission, AM2R, Super Metroid, and Fusion and I guess wanted to know if going in story order would be more fun. Sounds like it would! Or at the very least starting with Zero Mission won't hurt. Had no idea that the Prime games took place before 2, and that Fusion is the end, for instance. Sounds like I've got some Metroiding to do while AutoHotKey grinds every Job on every character to 99 in Final Fantasy 3!

Thank you and everyone else for the fast good replies! I think I'm definitely going to play Super Metroid soon. Maybe after Zero Mission and AM2R, or maybe just open palm slam it straight into my Switch.

Personally I'm a fan of playing games in release order, regardless of where someone puts them on the timeline. The Metroid timeline is easy to comprehend, but they've been at this weird place where they keep adding prequels and side stories because they don't want to advance it after Fusion.

I think you should play SM first, not for any story reasons, but because it's this incredibly influential touchstone. Then if you like that, you could see what Zero Mission does with the formula.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Thanks to SNESflix, I was able to play Lttp, which is like one of the few Zelda titles I've never touched. It's pretty fun! I got lost on my way to the first palace and somehow didn't pick up on the fact that you were supposed to arrow down the Armos Knights. Ended up swording them all to death instead. I am good at video games. :downs:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Honestly, the gameplay evolution of Metroid makes it so that you could reasonably start with Super and treat Zero Mission like a prequel. That's effectively what it is.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Araxxor posted:

Thanks to SNESflix, I was able to play Lttp, which is like one of the few Zelda titles I've never touched. It's pretty fun! I got lost on my way to the first palace and somehow didn't pick up on the fact that you were supposed to arrow down the Armos Knights. Ended up swording them all to death instead. I am good at video games. :downs:

I always sword them anyways since it’s more fun. I like the boss design in LTTP since it’s not always related to the item you pick up in their dungeon. Like only a handful of the bosses are like that and there’s even one later where you need two items that aren’t in its dungeon to defeat.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Cartoon Violence posted:

Metroid is my favourite series and I do think you get a little bit more out of the series playing it in chronological order, but I wouldn't say it's critical to enjoying the games.
AM2R is a very cool game, easily one of the best fan games if not the best fan game. But as a fan game I know it doesn't count as a part of the series, and in the official remake they actually made a lot of changes to connect it to the rest of the series- So if you're looking to explore the lore and story of the metroid universe I have to recommend the offical remake on 3DS over AM2R, but of course they're both cool games worth playing.

aaaand now I'm just gonna jump to Other M
I have a soft spot for Other M, yes the game has major flaws and the story/dialog is bad. But I enjoy the fast and snappy gameplay and mostly the game has a poo poo ton of untapped or squandered potential that I find endlessly interesting when I play the game.
I would recommend playing Other M, but in a similar way I would recommend a bad movie- only to those who can enjoy the flaws and exploring the motivations behind a lot of the decisions

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

History Comes Inside! posted:

Ok. There's no advantage and you lose the ability to download game/system updates in sleep mode, remote download from the eshop, etc.

The only way to hard power it down is to go and press the power button. Like how you'd have to go and press the power button to turn it back on, which feels just as acceptable as having to go and press the button to shut it down so :shrug:

Split the difference and just turn off the dock at the wall with the console in sleep mode, battery drain will be pretty negligible anyway.

Completely powering off the console is for the most part not necessary, but it might be good to do every once in a while. I remember there being some talk of memory leaks with some games like Breath of the Wild. People have also had some random issues pop up that have been solved with a hard shut off. I don't really understand why Nintendo made it so you can't turn the power off without holding down the power button. My PS4 has that functionality built in. It's not that hard.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Araxxor posted:

Eh, as long as you won't get stuck in the third dungeon for hours like I did back as a kid because you just couldn't wrap your head around the very easy solution to getting the main treasure chest, you're still good.

And while replaying LttP on my Switch over the weekend, the third boss still took like three times longer then boss 1 and 2 combined. That loving worm! :argh:

SeANMcBAY posted:

I always sword them anyways since it’s more fun. I like the boss design in LTTP since it’s not always related to the item you pick up in their dungeon. Like only a handful of the bosses are like that and there’s even one later where you need two items that aren’t in its dungeon to defeat.

I don't know, maybe it's because of my muscle memory, but I always mow the first boss down in like seconds. I just like to fire out arrows

Also I think at this point shooting arrows at those knight guys is so deeply ingrained into my brain, trying to use something besides my bow would probably cause a seizure or something :v:

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Mr. Locke posted:

My opinion of it has progressed to 'aggressively mediocre.' The game has a lot of charm and visual flair but it fumbles just about all of gameplay elements to some degree or another. The enemy design gets incredibly hit-spongy, the bosses suck, the shopping never really got any more interesting, the Dojo is a massive money sink for how full of duds it winds up becoming (let me see or test these moves already, Jimmy!), and there's a lot of just baffling design decisions (like how your light attack button eventually does a thousand different things and 'throwing a punch' is at the bottom of the priority list.) It's not as good as RCR Underground and is about on par with Tokyo Rumble, which was also a charming but flawed game. It's not a bad game but I'm not exactly jonsing to dive back in for another go.

Aw drat it, I got River City Ransom early and found it annoying, went back to it a few months later and it was just mediocre. I was hoping this'd be actually good.

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Thanks again for all the recommendations on how to enjoy the series. AM2R is what I'm planning on playing for 2 since I don't have a 3DS. If it came out on Switch I would've bought Samus Returns, though. After reading what everyone has to say I think I'm tentatively going in story order, though SM tempts me every time I open my Switch. Also I'm never playing Other M so its lovely story doesn't concern me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I have AM2R on Vita. It's pretty cool but I think it has a game-breaking bug that was never resolved.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
AM2R is legit the best 2D Metroid.

Yeah I said it :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Heath posted:

AM2R is legit the best 2D Metroid.

Yeah I said it :colbert:

It's actually hollow knight :smugmrgw:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

It's actually Symphony of the Night :smugmrgw:

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

What did you guys think of the Daemon X Machina demo? I bounced off it but I hope other people like the game. I did love the customization part.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd love GBA games on the Switch (well really just the Metroids and Minish Cap since everything else has been remade or improved in sequels) but I can't imagine they'd look great blown up on a 40 inch TV.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

What did you guys think of the Daemon X Machina demo? I bounced off it but I hope other people like the game. I did love the customization part.

It balms the part of my heart that desperately wants a new armored core game but knows that From Software is never getting off the Soulsborne train, and while it is significantly more anime than those games were, the actual gameplay tickles my nostalgia bones enough to spend money on it.

Also the prototype missions demo from a few months ago seems to have had a broader slice of the actual gameplay elements than this demo does, which seems more interested in showing off the release polish (the older demo had fire emblem style portrait cut ins instead of actual cutscenes, for example)

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Violence
Oct 30, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

I'd love GBA games on the Switch (well really just the Metroids and Minish Cap since everything else has been remade or improved in sequels) but I can't imagine they'd look great blown up on a 40 inch TV.

True, but at least the pixel art and spritework is usually solid and I bet they'd look great on an undocked Switch especially since it actually has a backlight.