Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

ad090 posted:

I'm assuming the port nerf is part of their difficulty increase across the board they mentioned in the patch notes. Basically a dead slot in certain provinces further hampers your ability to income and army.

That's dumb as poo poo. What I'd like Ports to be is like a hybrid growth/income place that works at maybe 66% of the other basic structures so they're more efficient space-wise but not as overall effective. If you're feeling mean maybe give them a public order penalty or something, but just saying "lol, these provinces are have dead slots" when realistically port access should be a boon is...pretty loving dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
They're still going to be a boon for races with +port income. Maybe spread those buffs out a bit more. Like I imagine a dwarf port is going to be more desirable than a greenskin port in like, all circumstances.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if it's a bug. Well, wait and see I guess.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
The special ports are all also nerfed as well, someone said 600 max income now, doesn't seem like a bug. It was definitely done to nerf the player, with their recent AI changes to make the AI factions care about PO and corruption, etc, they can't really just give the AI massive bonuses again to buff it, the obvious solution left is to just nerf the player.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just making everything give you poo poo for income is dumb though. SFO hits the economy hard but it does it by increasing your expenses and rewarding being able to keep provinces at high stability and develop them. And ports in that give you loads of money so they're something you actually want to beeline for, that and gold mines.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Like I said, this seems too drastic a change for them to just throw out, a reasonable nerf would be to put ports in line with the Tailor's guild tree. I expect a hotfix soon. It sounds like they *set* the incomes to what they meant to *reduce* incomes by.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

ad090 posted:

I'm assuming the port nerf is part of their difficulty increase across the board they mentioned in the patch notes. Basically a dead slot in certain provinces further hampers your ability to income and army.
Probably, yeah. And sure, some of the unique ports could have used a hit with the nerf bat. But a flat nerf across the board like this just to make the game more ~difficult~ seems like the dumbest possible option to go with.
If you don't want to player to roll around with doom stacks, introduce Tomb Kings style unit caps so the player actually has to make army composition choices. If you want AI to stay threatening past the early game, program it so it can build infrastructure and create decent armies. And you know, a better combat AI wouldn't hurt.

Honestly I doubt this will have a real impact the game's difficulty anyway. I mean, the only immediate effect I can see this having on the gameplay is it making the early & mid game for several faction more boring. You're going to pass turns without doing poo poo way more because someone thought taking away a good chunk of the one resource you need to do anything was a fabulous idea.

Fangz posted:

I wonder if it's a bug. Well, wait and see I guess.
It was mentioned in the patch notes. It's not a bug.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Raygereio posted:

It was mentioned in the patch notes. It's not a bug.

It was mentioned that they reduced port incomes, not the amount.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Fangz posted:

It was mentioned that they reduced port incomes, not the amount.

Thank god you’re cute.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Raygereio posted:

Honestly I doubt this will have a real impact the game's difficulty anyway. I mean, the only immediate effect I can see this having on the gameplay is it making the early & mid game for several faction more boring. You're going to pass turns without doing poo poo way more because someone thought taking away a good chunk of the one resource you need to do anything was a fabulous idea.

Yeah this is my issue honestly. One of the biggest issues TWW has in terms of campaign design is that every faction has tons of wonderful flavor and awesome units you want to play around with...and the resource income and growth mechanics mean that you spend your first 60-100 turns fielding cheap stacks of tier 1-2 crap because upkeep is murderous and additional stacks of cheap stuff are better than fewer, better stacks until supply lines stomps your rear end in. You only get to play around with the cool stuff much later, and usually that "much later" is when you've largely stabilized and are in the "unstoppable momentum" phase.

This change will simply exacerbate that instead of adding any real difficulty.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 8, 2019

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Kanos posted:

Yeah this is my issue honestly. One of the biggest issues TWW has in terms of campaign design is that every faction has tons of wonderful flavor and awesome units you want to play around with...and the resource income and growth mechanics mean that you spend your first 60-100 turns fielding cheap stacks of tier 1-2 crap because upkeep is murderous and additional stacks of cheap stuff are better than fewer, better stacks until supply lines stomps your rear end in. You only get to play around with the cool stuff much later, and usually that "much later" is when you've largely stabilized and are in the "unstoppable momentum" phase.

every tw should have an early/late development start option

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ammanas posted:

every tw should have an early/late development start option

Til then I just get one of those mods that gives you like 50x growth or something so everyone hits high tier really early.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Eimi posted:

Til then I just get one of those mods that gives you like 50x growth or something so everyone hits high tier really early.

Same. I do tier 4 capital start for all.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Kanos posted:

This is my view also, you'll probably have won before reaching tier 5 stuff.

Poor income leads too few bad armies, and just lot's of sieges, and almost never open battles.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
I feel like they could do alot to add extra challenge and difficulty in a fun way by adding complexity to the economic systems. Have options for regions to vary and focus their productions with differing gains and penalties. Something like giving the buildings individual options (with cooldown timers) so you have more customization. Give factions various forms of governors/ministers with a title/office system that is unique to the governors characters. Basically take an amalgamation of alot of systems from other TW games and give them a Warhammer flavor.

But also for all of these kind of things give AI auto-manage options if you aren’t in the mood to micro stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The AI outright refuses to give battle unless they have overwhelming odds and I swear that the AI cheats on the end turn to teleport armies right outside your campaign sight range so you attack one stack and they retaliate with three stacks next turn. You can't count on the AI getting into a war with other factions. If you're at war with them, they will drop everything and chase you across the map. It makes horde factions very frustrating because unless you can kill a faction in one or two turns with multiple coordinated siege assaults they will chase you everywhere and resettle razed territories (meaning they get stupid high replenishment bonuses on higher difficulties meaning you get to fight a full health stack immediately after they settled a place you just burned down)

Give Nakai's AI vassal faction mechanic to Chaos and Beastmen.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Dandywalken posted:

Same. I do tier 4 capital start for all.

A good mod.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Give Nakai's AI vassal faction mechanic to Chaos and Beastmen.

I like the idea of HoMM-style monster garrisons in most/all ruins. Greenskins, chaos, beastmen and Skaven all leaving behind randomized garrisons could be neat. Other places could get some random assortment of things like the various treefolk, dragons, monsters, etc as they settled into lairs. Idk.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah TBH when rogue armies were announced, along with ruin exploration, I was hoping it'd be a lot more HoMM-like than TW2 actually was on release. Thankfully, stuff like the sea treasure sites usually having battles is a good step towards it, but I imagine the game would need a significant rework to make battles a lot more plentiful outside of faction vs. faction stuff.

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019
Relating to that TW has always struggled with levels of conflict that aren't, well, Total War. It's particularly obnoxious when someone you have a NAP with has 6 armies in raiding stance right next to one of your cities and chasing them off makes you the bad guy. Raiding stance units should always be attackable without a formal declaration of war.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Or raiding should be an act of war.

Question for those with the blood and gore DLC: can it be easily toggled on and off after purchase, or is it permanently enabled if you buy it?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Enigma posted:

Or raiding should be an act of war.

Question for those with the blood and gore DLC: can it be easily toggled on and off after purchase, or is it permanently enabled if you buy it?

iirc it can be disabled in-game on the same page as the other graphics settings, and if you have the Steam version you can even uninstall just that DLC on the game's page in your Library

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Also, I think there's a mod to tone it down (because that really is an awful lot of blood).

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Blood for the blood god!

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Autism Sneaks posted:

iirc it can be disabled in-game on the same page as the other graphics settings, and if you have the Steam version you can even uninstall just that DLC on the game's page in your Library

In-game options->graphics->advanced options->blood effects checkbox

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 9, 2019

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
But also I feel bad when I disable it in a Bella campaign. She just wants to moisturize on the battlefield :)

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Reading back through the patch notes I noticed this that I missed the first time:

quote:

Added an option to the graphics settings to remove corpses over time.

Hopefully that helps some with dropped frames in huge battles.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is there a graphics option that changes things so I only disable tree foliage when I press spacebar? I like being able to see the battle but I don't like when I'm panning over a map and trees and buildings I see in the distance vanish when I get up close.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Really hope that they eventually do a revamp of city battle maps. At least make the provincial capitals have more complexity and multiple capture points like in Rome 2. Just current sieges get boring fast because of too little map diversity.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Kalessin ofSelidor posted:

Really hope that they eventually do a revamp of city battle maps. At least make the provincial capitals have more complexity and multiple capture points like in Rome 2. Just current sieges get boring fast because of too little map diversity.

The Empire forts strike me as something that they're testing a bit for game 3.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm pretty sure they said on last week's stream that this is like a first step on changing siege battles.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is there a graphics option that changes things so I only disable tree foliage when I press spacebar? I like being able to see the battle but I don't like when I'm panning over a map and trees and buildings I see in the distance vanish when I get up close.

When you hold down spacebar in a battle for a couple seconds, a little menu comes up on the right side of the screen where you can set things like that. Each graphical setting has three states: always on, on when spacebar is pressed, and always off.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Anno posted:

I'm pretty sure they said on last week's stream that this is like a first step on changing siege battles.
Did they say how? I'm really curious what border forts would do in a Total War game to change up siege battles - by nature (of being a Total War game), borders never stay the same for long. And, on the other hand, by simply having more forts/places with walls doesnt that mean that there will be more fights with walls? I think they could fix a lot of problems by having minor settlements be able to get bigger garrisons but not be able to get walls. That way you can get more "field battles" without leaving minor settlements unprotected. I also think that different buildings you build should affect the composition of the garrison, to add more diversity to the town battles.

Krazyface posted:

When you hold down spacebar in a battle for a couple seconds, a little menu comes up on the right side of the screen where you can set things like that. Each graphical setting has three states: always on, on when spacebar is pressed, and always off.
This is great to know and i had no idea, thank you!

Anno
May 10, 2017

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Did they say how? I'm really curious what border forts would do in a Total War game to change up siege battles - by nature (of being a Total War game), borders never stay the same for long. And, on the other hand, by simply having more forts/places with walls doesnt that mean that there will be more fights with walls? I think they could fix a lot of problems by having minor settlements be able to get bigger garrisons but not be able to get walls. That way you can get more "field battles" without leaving minor settlements unprotected. I also think that different buildings you build should affect the composition of the garrison, to add more diversity to the town battles.

Not sure. The dev blog they put up talked mostly about expanding the design of the maps, so I assume that. More open space for cav to fight in, multiple layers of the map to fall back to, more natural positions for ranged units to be posted in a defensible position. Stuff like that.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Slow income is why I never can play tomb kings because by the time you get all your cool toys the game is over, 99% of the campaign is done with skeletons and chariots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've been playing a bit as Ungrim using that mod that just disables the entire new world in mortal empires and it owns.

e: like the dream would be going to Ulthuan and smashing the place up but I've given up on that playthrough more than once thanks to turn times.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

JBP posted:

I've been playing a bit as Ungrim using that mod that just disables the entire new world in mortal empires and it owns.

e: like the dream would be going to Ulthuan and smashing the place up but I've given up on that playthrough more than once thanks to turn times.

link to mod?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ammanas posted:

link to mod?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1855331610

"IMPORTANT BEFORE PLAYING
-This should be obvious but DO NOT CHOOSE ANY LEGENDARY LORD THAT WOULD NORMALLY SPAWN IN THE NEW WORLD.
-In case the penalties arent enough, its VERY important the player himself doesnt settle the new continents because that could spark an interest in the AI to go kill the player's settlement and end up settling it themselves. The public order penalties are also so large that rebellions will plop down immediately and that has the risk of rebels ressurrecting the original faction that was supposed to be there and so on."

This just makes me want to sail off and establish The Imperial People's Republic of Ulthuan to see what happens.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
it already exists unmodded you disgusting deviant

can a guy get a crying sword of khaine smilie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Thanks for the posts re: blood options.

I'm fine with the game looking like a Tarantino set, but occasionally my kid watches. He can handle clean dinosaurs "falling over." But I don't need the nightmares that would come with fountains of organs, so I'd want to be able to turn it off when he's around.

RoyalScion posted:

Slow income is why I never can play tomb kings because by the time you get all your cool toys the game is over, 99% of the campaign is done with skeletons and chariots.

CA seems to have realized that, though maybe not at a concious level, in recent DLCs. The VC can get cool toys pretty quickly. So could Ikit (not sure about Teeny-wan). Looks like the new DLC empire lord in Vortex follows suit with the supplied troops mechanic.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 9, 2019