Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I'm very ignorant of cured meats so I stared at the thumbnail for a solid five seconds wondering why you were posting grenades

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Spaced God posted:

I'm very ignorant of cured meats so I stared at the thumbnail for a solid five seconds wondering why you were posting grenades

They're flavor grenades. They go boom all over your palate.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Spaced God posted:

I thought they were armadillos at first

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

The Maestro posted:

Anybody have any recommendations for dining / cocktailing in Quito?

Swisshotel was loving legit. Food was great, service was impeccable, bill wasn’t half bad. It’s an upscale place, but it’s worth it for one night.

Not to be funny, but Govinda’s. They do a fixed price meal for $2. Your choice of white or brown rice, daal, soup, salad, dessert. It was filling and delicious. Not exactly upscale but far superior to any of the Hare Krishna places I’ve eaten at in USA.

Also, if you see someone selling humitas by the road side, do yourself a favour and get them. They are mind blowingly delicious. If you see someone who’s selling juice, ask if they offer “tomate del árbol” juice. If so, pay them the $1 or so, and get you a large. If you see a hole in the wall Chinese place, go in and get a thing. It’s a totally different experience from American Chinese.

Café Mosaico. This one’s got traditional Ecuadorean food. If you see chochos on the menu, get it. They’re this bean variety that I’ve only seen in Ecuador, and they’re available drat near anywhere.

Honestly, you’ll be hard pressed to find less than stellar food, even at the tourist traps like Mitad del Mundo and such.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

dino. posted:

Swisshotel was loving legit. Food was great, service was impeccable, bill wasn’t half bad. It’s an upscale place, but it’s worth it for one night.

Not to be funny, but Govinda’s. They do a fixed price meal for $2. Your choice of white or brown rice, daal, soup, salad, dessert. It was filling and delicious. Not exactly upscale but far superior to any of the Hare Krishna places I’ve eaten at in USA.

Also, if you see someone selling humitas by the road side, do yourself a favour and get them. They are mind blowingly delicious. If you see someone who’s selling juice, ask if they offer “tomate del árbol” juice. If so, pay them the $1 or so, and get you a large. If you see a hole in the wall Chinese place, go in and get a thing. It’s a totally different experience from American Chinese.

Café Mosaico. This one’s got traditional Ecuadorean food. If you see chochos on the menu, get it. They’re this bean variety that I’ve only seen in Ecuador, and they’re available drat near anywhere.

Honestly, you’ll be hard pressed to find less than stellar food, even at the tourist traps like Mitad del Mundo and such.

Thank you! Flying out from Bogotá today

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

big black turnout posted:

I thought they were armadillos at first

Yeah same, the shrunk image really makes them look like armadillos.

What does cured goat, even taste like. Goat is plenty funky (in a good way) even fresh.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

A Sometimes Food posted:

Yeah same, the shrunk image really makes them look like armadillos.

What does cured goat, even taste like. Goat is plenty funky (in a good way) even fresh.

You know what... I have no idea what cured goat tastes like. But I know it’s a common thing in Italy. So now I want to try it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
There’s a Jamaican place near me which makes the most delicious curry goat, rice and peas. I love lamb and goat is pretty close.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

therattle posted:

There’s a Jamaican place near me which makes the most delicious curry goat, rice and peas. I love lamb and goat is pretty close.

Yeah, there's a Guyanese stall at my local market and her goat curry in roti is just amazing.

Also her hot sauce is thermonuclear in the best way.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
This place in New Jersey had incredible goat biryani.
Paradise Biryani Pointe - 1677 Oak Tree Rd - http://4sq.com/cS7CQ1

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Stringent posted:

This place in New Jersey had incredible goat biryani.
Paradise Biryani Pointe - 1677 Oak Tree Rd - http://4sq.com/cS7CQ1

I'm gonna take my Accord down to Oak Tree Road
And eat looooootttsss of Indian food

I got biryani in the back
Extra Rita in the sack
Limes fresh as heck
Dum goat grilled to black
Riding my Accord
Left turn from abroad
I been all through Edison
You ain't been south of Metuchen

(My favorite biryani places are Good Food By Uzma, and Firangi)

Oak Tree Road deserves to be much more well known then it is. It's america's Little India, you won't find a greater concentration of Indian small businesses, chains, and restaurants in greater number anywhere. So much good stuff.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 5, 2019

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I finally had that 2x spicy korean ramen and it was not very spicy :(

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Extra Rita in the sack
Limes fresh as heck
Riding my Accord
Left turn from abroad

Oak Tree Road deserves to be much more well known then it is. It's america's Little India, you won't find a greater concentration of Indian small businesses, chains, and restaurants in greater number anywhere. So much good stuff.

:bisonyes:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Suspect Bucket posted:

Extra Rita in the sack
Limes fresh as heck
Riding my Accord
Left turn from abroad

drat, that Firangi place looks incredible. Almost (but not quite) worth going to New Jersey again.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Extra Rita in the sack
Limes fresh as heck
Riding my Accord
Left turn from abroad

:Stares in jersey city:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I've got 4lbs of boneless short rib all tied up like a roast. I want to braise it in my Dutch oven. Anyone got a go-to recipe? I'm thinking it would be treated like a chuck roast.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Galbi jjim

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Tortilla Press suggestions? Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

(Edit - I'm a moron and moved this to the General Questions thread.)

EVG fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 8, 2019

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

EVG posted:

Also best tortilla holder (not one of the microwave warmers, just one of the ones to keep 'em warm). I've been using a clean towel but would like something I can actually set out on the table. :) Should I just go for one of the bog standard plastic ones?

(Edit - I'm a moron and moved this to the General Questions thread.)

Why not just a wicker basket. Looks fairly neat and can be found for next to no money. Stick a clean towel inside it and put the tortillias in. Something like this:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80328145/

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

EVG posted:

Tortilla Press suggestions?

Where do you live? I bought a crappy aluminum one on Amazon which was horrible, then a nicer $25 cast iron from a local tienda. Check it to ensure there's no gap before you buy.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

BrianBoitano posted:

Where do you live? I bought a crappy aluminum one on Amazon which was horrible, then a nicer $25 cast iron from a local tienda. Check it to ensure there's no gap before you buy.

Good idea, I’m in Chicago so I’ll just check one of the little corner bodegas.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

EVG posted:

Good idea, I’m in Chicago so I’ll just check one of the little corner bodegas.

You want a cast iron one. Make sure that sucker is HEAVY, otherwise don’t buy it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Yep I've seen one of those sintered metal ones just shear in half when pressed. No bueno.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'll be in Philly for two days, one of which is business meals I can't pick. I have one dinner and one breakfast on my own, and I'm not against hitting a 24hr cheesesteak place for breakfast. Any recs?

Cocktail bars would be nice too. I'll also be near Vineland and Glassboro / Rowan university.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Jim’s Steaks is the non-racist of the two original cheesesteak places. I went in winter and it was below freezing and the line was outside around the corner. “One wit wiz and a yinglings” is the way to order. Somebody that actually lives there can probably clarify or correct if I’m wrong

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

SymmetryrtemmyS, have you checked your PMs recently?

Do you, umm... need me to send you a shorter one?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I'll be in Philly for two days, one of which is business meals I can't pick. I have one dinner and one breakfast on my own, and I'm not against hitting a 24hr cheesesteak place for breakfast. Any recs?

Cocktail bars would be nice too. I'll also be near Vineland and Glassboro / Rowan university.

What's the budget and what would it take to get you to just. Y'know. Not get a cheesesteak

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Sextro posted:

What's the budget and what would it take to get you to just. Y'know. Not get a cheesesteak

I'll spend whatever if it's worth it, and I'm not stuck on cheesesteak

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

I. M. Gei posted:

SymmetryrtemmyS, have you checked your PMs recently?

Do you, umm... need me to send you a shorter one?

sorry! It totally slipped my mind. I'll get on that asap

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

I'll spend whatever if it's worth it, and I'm not stuck on cheesesteak

They just won an award so it might be busy, but there's a cocktail bar called R&D I think is worth going out of your way for and it's within 2 blocks of an absolute ton of really excellent full restaurants (they just have a snack/small plates menu)

R&D
1206 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19125

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

hell yeah :cheers:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I’m running down to Cincy this weekend with the wife. Where should we drink downtown for the best cocktails?

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m running down to Cincy this weekend with the wife. Where should we drink downtown for the best cocktails?

You should come to my restaurant, Sartre OTR, our bar manager (formerly of Sundry & Vice) just rolled out a new cocktail menu and it’s pretty killer. Food ain’t too shabby either!

Sundry & Vice, Longfellow (if you’re a rum fan, make sure you go to the back bar, they have an insane collection), Lost and Found, Japp’s and Igby’s are all fantastic spots in downtown/Over the Rhine. Comfort Station is also excellent but it’s a little bit out of the way in Walnut Hills. I’ve heard good things about Aster but haven’t been myself.

coolanimedad
Apr 30, 2007
sup itt

Merkin Muffley posted:

You should come to my restaurant, Sartre OTR, our bar manager (formerly of Sundry & Vice) just rolled out a new cocktail menu and it’s pretty killer. Food ain’t too shabby either!

Sundry & Vice, Longfellow (if you’re a rum fan, make sure you go to the back bar, they have an insane collection), Lost and Found, Japp’s and Igby’s are all fantastic spots in downtown/Over the Rhine. Comfort Station is also excellent but it’s a little bit out of the way in Walnut Hills. I’ve heard good things about Aster but haven’t been myself.

Are the cocktails not what they are? Do they have an unlimited power of self-determination by which to choose themselves as cocktails?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Merkin Muffley posted:

Okay reserved a table for 7pm. I will try the rest of the list as we go. Where is the late night industry bar?

Merkin Muffley
Aug 1, 2006
The Ballsiest

coolanimedad posted:

Are the cocktails not what they are? Do they have an unlimited power of self-determination by which to choose themselves as cocktails?

Hahaha, something like that..., we’ve taken this freedom we’re condemned to and made ourselves tasty food and beverages from nearby something something.... I came on board after the place had been named, I just make good, responsible food and try to keep the existentialism out of it.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Okay reserved a table for 7pm. I will try the rest of the list as we go. Where is the late night industry bar?

Mecca, Longfellow, and Liberty’s. Rosedale and Queen City Radio to a lesser extent.

P.S. check your PMs!

Merkin Muffley fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 12, 2019

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Merkin Muffley posted:

Hahaha, something like that..., we’ve taken this freedom we’re condemned to and made ourselves tasty food and beverages from nearby something something.... I came on board after the place had been named, I just make good, responsible food and try to keep the existentialism out of it.

Mecca, Longfellow, and Liberty’s. Rosedale and Queen City Radio to a lesser extent.

P.S. check your PMs!

Cool! Also feel free to stop by the table. I have a big hipster beard that going mostly grey so I’m easy to spot thee days. If you go out Saturday let us know we always like people to drink with.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Wait, what's wrong with getting a cheesesteak? I mean, sure it's garbage food but it's good garbage food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Wait, what's wrong with getting a cheesesteak? I mean, sure it's garbage food but it's good garbage food.

Nothing, but. It's 2019, unless you live in the middle of nowhere you can get a cheesesteak anywhere on the east coast (and probably elsewhere, but I would just be guessing at that) and they're dead easy to make at home. Like if you're only picking a few meals to have in Philadelphia you're really doing yourself a disservice in passing up all the other options for something so easily found elsewhere.