Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

LRADIKAL posted:

Lololol.
If you want advice from us, probably ask before you buy it. You can't futureproof, you can only spend money today.

I took my advice from a good friend whose built before, but in the future, I can always cross-reference back here

leave me to my money pit, I've already put a good sunk cost into all of this :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Paul MaudDib posted:

For a new card, 1660 Ti, 2060 Super, or 2070 Super

I'd go for a 5700 or a 5700 XT over a 2060 Super (and maybe 2070 Super), way better value for the money.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 7, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I *think* a 5700 may have better cooler compatibility then <2080 Turing cards. If that matters (it does to me, g10 / Morpheus 2 swap cru).

Interested if that's not the case.

eames
May 9, 2009

O/T but that Morpheus 2 is really that good. Bought one for my lowly 1070 because one fan died and life‘s too short for ASUS customer service, can’t get GPU temp over 50 Celsius with max power target and two 120mm fans.
I don’t even bother with a fan curve or zero rpm mode because the fans at 650rpm are inaudible both idle and load and higher fan speeds don’t drop the temperature further. Would really like to try this with a 5700XT but I’m locked into G-sync for now.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

O/T but that Morpheus 2 is really that good. Bought one for my lowly 1070 because one fan died and life‘s too short for ASUS customer service, can’t get GPU temp over 50 Celsius with max power target and two 120mm fans.
I don’t even bother with a fan curve or zero rpm mode because the fans at 650rpm are inaudible both idle and load and higher fan speeds don’t drop the temperature further. Would really like to try this with a 5700XT but I’m locked into G-sync for now.

I have one, waiting to go onto a 1080 tonight. Good to know it's overkill on a 1070.

eames
May 9, 2009

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I have one, waiting to go onto a 1080 tonight. Good to know it's overkill on a 1070.

Neat, keep an eye out for GPU sag. It’s pretty easy to fix with some creativity, I’ve seen people use custom made brackets, black straws, shrinkwrapped chop sticks or transparent fishing line...
I’d recommend mounting the fans in a way so the VRMs (wherever they are on your board) aren’t in the deadzone of a fan motor. I found this matters because the highly effective heatsink lets you run the fans much slower with a weaker and less focused airflow over the VRMs.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Victory Position posted:

I asked for "give me a video card that stays cool forever" and was pointed to this thing: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sapphire-rx-vega-64-nitro,5388.html

"cool" as in "it is extremely good at cooling itself, so don't worry about overheating"

Are you sure your friend didn't mishear or troll you? Because the card he recommended is an inefficient monstrosity that puts out a ton of heat.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

eames posted:

Neat, keep an eye out for GPU sag. It’s pretty easy to fix with some creativity, I’ve seen people use custom made brackets, black straws, shrinkwrapped chop sticks or transparent fishing line...
I’d recommend mounting the fans in a way so the VRMs (wherever they are on your board) aren’t in the deadzone of a fan motor. I found this matters because the highly effective heatsink lets you run the fans much slower with a weaker and less focused airflow over the VRMs.

Np - this case has the GPU mounted vertically, hanging down.

I wanted a 5700 but found a very cheap 1080. I still might get one, though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

Are you sure your friend didn't mishear or troll you? Because the card he recommended is an inefficient monstrosity that puts out a ton of heat.

I'm starting to get upset hearing this, but I think he honestly thought he knew what he was doing. I've still put a lot down on this, so going another way is going to take a good while.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Its performance is going to be fine mind you, it just doesn't have a giant 3 fan x 2.5 slot cooler because the designers thought it would look pretty.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Is all this 1080p hating turbo nerd poo poo? because I have dual 27 inch 1080p monitors about 25 inches in front of me and they are great. Multiple windows in each monitor, tons of room to work and no tiny rear end text or bumping up UI scale in everything.

Every time I try a 4k or 1440 monitor poo poo is way too small or I run into a hosed up scaling issue within minutes trying to install something.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
do you have coke-bottle glasses like bubbles from TPB?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm playing on an 18.5" monitor at 1366x768 :3: the RX 560 is treating me well tho

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Laranzu posted:

Is all this 1080p hating turbo nerd poo poo? because I have dual 27 inch 1080p monitors about 25 inches in front of me and they are great. Multiple windows in each monitor, tons of room to work and no tiny rear end text or bumping up UI scale in everything.

Every time I try a 4k or 1440 monitor poo poo is way too small or I run into a hosed up scaling issue within minutes trying to install something.

I don't like using dual monitors for my home machine because it's for gaming and I keep a laptop on my left.

I have one 27" 1080p monitor 40" from my face and it's just fine.

Nerds just love to see bigger number, regardless of suitability, see also the number of cell phones with 1080p+ resolutions in a < 10" package.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm playing on an 18.5" monitor at 1366x768 :3: the RX 560 is treating me well tho

The future is 500hz 1366x768.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

The future is 500hz 1366x768.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG_a7Qs2odc

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Once you get a resolution where you can have photorealistic graphics at a reasonable size, and the framerate matches what you expect from film or video, any more is pointless.

I personally hate high refresh rate TVs at sports bars and poo poo because it looks unnatural.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I use a 27" 1080p display. I have extremely poor eyesight. I don't think I'd be able to read text on a 4k screen this size.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I personally hate high refresh rate TVs at sports bars and poo poo because it looks unnatural.
It only looks unnatural when fake interpolation creates intermediate frames that don't exist in the source material. That can and should be turned off.

Of course, then you have the issue that things like OLED screens with high refresh rates look jittery while panning. But that's how the source is.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

FuturePastNow posted:

I use a 27" 1080p display. I have extremely poor eyesight. I don't think I'd be able to read text on a 4k screen this size.

You would just use 200% scaling and actually have a slightly easier time. Everything would be the exact same size, just better defined.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Once you get a resolution where you can have photorealistic graphics at a reasonable size, and the framerate matches what you expect from film or video, any more is pointless.

I believe tori because I live realistically

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Victory Position posted:

I took my advice from a good friend whose built before, but in the future, I can always cross-reference back here

leave me to my money pit, I've already put a good sunk cost into all of this :shrug:

Can I ask what you spent on the Nitro Vega 64? How long ago did you purchase

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
while there's no papering over Vega being a molten volcano of a gpu that is a complete failure at delivering the framerates you should be getting from putting a $400 GPU into 1080p gaming, you can definitely use Virtual Super Resolution to render your games at much higher resolutions and scale them down to your 1080p native resolution, it actually is good at doing higher-resolution stuff (i.e. VSR)

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Puddin posted:

Do you like spending hours tweaking settings, restarting and testing for stability?

Unironically love this poo poo

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I do too, just not at stock.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I gave up at that when the Ryzen DDR4 calculator's 3200 safe preset wouldn't even boot for my 3600 with DDR4-3200C16.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 8, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Puddin posted:

Do you like spending hours tweaking settings, restarting and testing for stability?

no kids / never married

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Statutory Ape posted:

no kids / never married

I had my two year old “help” me while I was installing an eiswolf aio onto my GPU and a Noctua nh-d15, this mostly consisted of her finding a screw driving then repeatedly attempting to to stab my motherboard with it and pulling thermal pads off the stock GPU cooler.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Updated to the latest Taichi X399 bios and GPU passtrough works without jump through hoops. I am actually pleasantly surprised.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'd love it more if I had a weight for my delete key so I didn't need to babysit my computer for 5 minutes when I screw up RAM to unbootable timings.

Just got 4x16 to boot at aggressive 3533 c14 timings. It sucked. Some obscure subtiming was holding me back. Now that it's configured, I'm probably not going to bother trying 3600/3733 because I'm lazy and 68.5-70ns (I have gear down enabled with 4 sticks) is good enough for me.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Updated to the latest Taichi X399 bios and GPU passtrough works without jump through hoops. I am actually pleasantly surprised.
I'm interested in details, too.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 8, 2019

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Oh man. KVM or another hypervisor?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I've seen that BIOS listed. An way earlier beta BIOS with the same TR-AGESA version was said to be problematic. Really no issues?

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

so Gamers Nexus have apparently gotten some info on the upcoming Threadripper platform:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Are those WRX8 platfroms going to support 2P Threadripper systems? Those PCIe lanes seem like yes. If so: holy poo poo.

eames
May 9, 2009

Seems like TR was enough of a (sales/marketing/mindshare) success this they’re going all in with the full EPYC stack this time.
Would be funny to see Intel flail around trying to respond to „HEDT branded“ 128C/256T at 3.4 Ghz with half a gig of L3 but realistically AMD won’t allow dual socket boards. Fun times (unless you’re Ryan Shrout :v:).

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sheeeeeeeeit, fun times unless you're Intel management. It's not like Intel puts crazy-rear end Apple-esque "using AMD is a fireable offense" clauses in their contracts, I'm sure Shrout and everybody else that Intel poached will love grabbing one of these new TR chips and loving around with it.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 9, 2019

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Khorne posted:

I'd love it more if I had a weight for my delete key so I didn't need to babysit my computer for 5 minutes when I screw up RAM to unbootable timings.

Just got 4x16 to boot at aggressive 3533 c14 timings. It sucked. Some obscure subtiming was holding me back. Now that it's configured, I'm probably not going to bother trying 3600/3733 because I'm lazy and 68.5-70ns (I have gear down enabled with 4 sticks) is good enough for me.
I'm interested in details, too.

NewFatMike posted:

Oh man. KVM or another hypervisor?

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've seen that BIOS listed. An way earlier beta BIOS with the same TR-AGESA version was said to be problematic. Really no issues?

The weird thing I have was that this morning my machine did not boot properly, power went on, light went on but no power to the USB mouse or anything on the displays. Could be a fluke, after a disconnect from the mains it worked again.

I am running KVM now on 5.2.13 ( No nvidia drivers though, they give a blank screen, how hard can it be? ).
And by jumping through hoops I mean recompiling my kernel for some PCIe reset issues on the bus. Tested my Windows 10 VM and it worked straight away where before it gave FLR messages in dmesg.
I am running 3.60 now.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 9, 2019

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
My 3200CL16 E-die runs perfect on XMP undervolted to 1.25V but will not even POST with the Ryzen DRAM calculator safe presets at 3200MHz at 1.35V, what gives? It makes no goddamn sense.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Lrdimm support hell yeah gonna make me a 1tb workstation monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I will NEVER download more ram