Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

There's no way to tell if having the UP as part of Wisconsin is an honest mistake or a subtle troll and I appreciate that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Considering that Florida seems to have been successfully sawed off the rest of the US, I'd say yes to both.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

I get it's the "most of the hated thing" from each country map but i don't get why Thailand get admiral Akbar?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Connecticut apparently hates no pot?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Toplowtech posted:

I get it's the "most of the hated thing" from each country map but i don't get why Thailand get admiral Akbar?

"It's a trap" as in transsexual.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Do they have a breakdown of what these are, and/or an explanation for why that was selected? The Swastika seems like a kind of odd thing to select for Switzerland.

For most countries/regions it seems to be "strongest dislike of", but a few seem to be more like "greatest fear of" (e.g. California) or "greatest shame of" (Switzerland possibly if it is Nazi gold), although often I guess it could be the same thing.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Sep 8, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Minenfeld! posted:

Connecticut apparently hates no pot?

I mean I guess recently like... more and more of the nearby states are getting it and that is sad for us? Pretty weak.
Should have been something about the Atlantic ocean, but I dunno how you visualize that, let alone is a tiny space like that.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
switzerland = nazi gold

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Saladman posted:

Do they have a breakdown of what these are, and/or an explanation for why that was selected? The Swastika seems like a kind of odd thing to select for Switzerland.

For most countries/regions it seems to be "strongest dislike of", but a few seem to be more like "greatest fear of" (e.g. California) or "greatest shame of" (Switzerland possibly if it is Nazi gold), although often I guess it could be the same thing.

I thought maybe it was most downvoted images or something but now I don’t think it makes sense for a lot of them and I’m pretty someone just picked these.

The ontario one is a little puzzling. Do we hate speed limits? Traffic? The metric system?? I’ve never really heard someone complain about speed limits (everyone knows 100 is the winter speed limit anyway and you won’t get pulled over for 120)

Edit: apparently it’s a “world trigger map” which explains New Zealand

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 8, 2019

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I have never met a Canadian, Quebecois or non-Quebecois, who hates poutine apart from edgelords on the internet.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Rhode Island is a hand doing the "itty bitty" gesture I think.
No idea what Mass is supposed to be. It looks like clam chowder and a tomato??
Jersey is that photo of Chris Christie on the beach I think.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

No idea what Mass is supposed to be. It looks like clam chowder and a tomato??

putting tomato in clam chowder is called "manhattan style" and it makes new england chowder purists mad

quote:

Manhattan clam chowder remained "a notable heresy." In 1939 a Maine legislator introduced a bill outlawing the use of tomatoes in chowder. In 1940, Eleanor Early, lambasted the "terrible pink mixture" in her book New England Sampler. Manhattan clam chowder, she wrote, "is only a vegetable soup and not to be confused with New England Clam Chowder, nor spoken of in the same breath. Tomatoes and clams," she wrote, "have no more affinity than ice cream and horseradish."

i agree it should not be called chowder but it's still tasty. your level of caremad will depend on if you have adopted chowder as an iconic dish of your regional culture

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 8, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

HookShot posted:

I have never met a Canadian, Quebecois or non-Quebecois, who hates poutine apart from edgelords on the internet.

It's not the poutine, it's the Canadian flag on it. It's cultural appropriation by the perfidious anglos!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Saladman posted:

It's "what will trigger [insert country here] the most" if I remember right. I've seen it somewhere before.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What the hell is Maryland supposed to be?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Soricidus posted:

guillotine. sorry.

It was a kickstarter thing a few years ago. I got interested in the calendar after reading Graydon Saunders' The March North; his commonweal world uses a three-decade month calendar which I assume was inspired by the Republican Calendar.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112031092/french-republican-wall-calendar
https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/21801573-the-march-north
https://jamesdavisnicoll.com/review/a-world-of-ancient-magics

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

luxury handset posted:

putting tomato in clam chowder is called "manhattan style" and it makes new england chowder purists mad

Wait THAT's the only difference between the two??
I live right on the cultural fault line between NYC and New England, and so yeah I've had my Manhattans and my NE styles. But Manhattan is more than just tomato having, it's super watery rather than creamy. Or is that the effect of smashing a tomato in the NE style?

To be frank though, clam chowder is something Mass should be happy about, because NE style is a million times better than Manhattan. I imagine them as smug rather than mad about it. But pure New Englanders get mad about NYC over lots of stuff (including my state being culturally mixed with it lol).

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Manhattan is better. Fight me.

And it's not just a tomato. It's a tomato base with a different mix of vegetables.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I like how Texas seems to be a competition between Whataburger and In-N-Out. Having moved to Texas from California, I thought they were joking when they suggested it was even a comparison.

Whataburger isn't bad, but it's just another grease bomb joint like any of the others. Compare it to Jack in the Box, not In-N-Out.

Mr. Belpit
Nov 11, 2008

Kassad posted:

It's "what will trigger [insert country here] the most" if I remember right. I've seen it somewhere before.

South Korea's makes no sense though: a Barbie doll, apparently, which would get an "uh, okay?" reaction from Koreans at most. I get it refers to how much plastic surgery goes on here, but a) Koreans don't really make that kind of allegorical connection between cosmetic surgery and Barbie dolls and b) the high rates of cosmetic surgery seem to bother non-Koreans more than anyone else.

The Japanese imperial flag would've worked best for South Korea tbh. If they were dead-set on each country having a unique image then really China could've had a Tibet flag or one of the proposed independent Taiwan flags to work just as well.

edit: A Japanese flag over Dokdo would work perfectly for Korea, actually.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tomato and clam are meant to be together, I don't care what purists think. Go argue about malts v. shakes instead.

The Falklands are also missing, which is a little odd. And does Japan really feel that strongly about whaling?

Rolabi Wizenard posted:

I like how Texas seems to be a competition between Whataburger and In-N-Out. Having moved to Texas from California, I thought they were joking when they suggested it was even a comparison.

Whataburger isn't bad, but it's just another grease bomb joint like any of the others. Compare it to Jack in the Box, not In-N-Out.

Whataburger is pretty good, but they stopped doing my favorite burger of theirs, so I stopped going out of my way to eat at it. Place I used to live was covered in Whataburgers, but now they're all real distant. I really liked how they made the burger as a whole thinner but wider, so that you can perfectly grab and stick the thing in your mouth instead of those dumb falling apart tall burgers some places do.

In-N-Out has various properties, but the primary one is being even further away from where I live than the Whataburgers, so to me it currently lacks the primary desired characteristic of fast food.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Minenfeld! posted:

And it's not just a tomato. It's a tomato base with a different mix of vegetables.

I would pledge allegiance to NYC over Boston in like 9/10 things, but never this.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Grape posted:

Wait THAT's the only difference between the two??

not the only difference, they are made differently, but the shorthand is tomato. manhattan style is a more mediterranian style vegetable seafood stew, it really shouldn't be called chowder at all. it's good though

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

HookShot posted:

there's a little thumbs down next to it as in quebecers hate people who hate poutine
the texas one is similar with a thumbs down for whataburger and thumbs up for in-n-out

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Minenfeld! posted:

Do you eat pineapple on your pizza too, you god drat monster?

And when you eat that pineapple pizza, do you eat it with a fork and knife?

(And yeah, I agree with luxury handset. Calling Manhattan clam chowder "chowder" is misleading and I would literally send it back in a restaurant if it had "clam chowder" listed and came with tomato, unless it was specified)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Grape posted:

I would pledge allegiance to NYC over Boston in like 9/10 things, but never this.
What about the day after?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Guavanaut posted:

Shiiii¡¡¡¡¡¡...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Guavanaut posted:

lol yowza

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Saladman posted:

(And yeah, I agree with luxury handset. Calling Manhattan clam chowder "chowder" is misleading and I would literally send it back in a restaurant if it had "clam chowder" listed and came with tomato, unless it was specified)

No pineapple or forks.

I like both; I prefer Manhattan. It seems year-round to me whereas I tend to associate New England clam chowder with fall.

I can't say I've ever seen it on a menu here in CT without it specifying New England or Manhattan.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Louisianna's coast is disappearing. Rising sea levels and all that, land is going underwater.

Except...uh, this little spur isn't getting with the program.

It's all part of the whole system of shifting coastline that created most of the area in the first place. Sediment being carried by the river along the way and being deposited at the coastline.

Except this has also been accidentally caused by human attempts at stopping flooding, thereby shooting sediment along the tube of levies out to sea much faster and stronger. It's all a mess, environmental engineering is hard, maybe we can do better in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiNmEWXPPM
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/WaxLake

Saladman posted:

It's fun to poo poo talk people about food and act all intensely aggressive about things that don't matter, but every so often I sit back and notice that food purism is basically a microcosm of conservatism.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Louisianna's coast is disappearing. Rising sea levels and all that, land is going underwater.

Except...uh, this little spur isn't getting with the program.

It's all part of the whole system of shifting coastline that created most of the area in the first place. Sediment being carried by the river along the way and being deposited at the coastline.

Except this has also been accidentally caused by human attempts at stopping flooding, thereby shooting sediment along the tube of levies out to sea much faster and stronger. It's all a mess, environmental engineering is hard, maybe we can do better in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFiNmEWXPPM
https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/world-of-change/WaxLake

It's fun to poo poo talk people about food and act all intensely aggressive about things that don't matter, but every so often I sit back and notice that food purism is basically a microcosm of conservatism.

I was going to say “I, too, have just watched that Tom Scott video”, and then you go and post it.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was, uh, not serious. If calling someone a "god damned monster" for preferring tomatoes to cream is a thing people seriously think or say in your social circles, you might want to find new social circles.

Also that 1932 map appears to have the Mississippi river itself above water. You can also go on Google Earth and play with the time slider to see it for yourself, there and in other places, although the map resolution is usually pretty terrible before about 1995.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/simongerman600/status/1171163877024948224

Get the gently caress outta here making a state named Bayou and not putting The Bayou City in it

buddhist nudist
May 16, 2019

No Safe Word posted:

Get the gently caress outta here making a state named Bayou and not putting The Bayou City in it

Both our current hellscape and our new hellscape have Michigan City outside of Michigan.

Probably for its own safety.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I'm two state Alaska

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

No Safe Word posted:

I'm Erie that no longer borders Lake Erie.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

PittTheElder posted:

I'm two state Alaska

Of course, Seward, AK, isn't in the state of Seward.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Just abolish the drat Senate and you don't have to make a lovely "alternate states" map.

e: okay, that's not its purpose, as the dumb "Seward" state proves, but abolish the Senate anyway.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Make the senate a less people than reps thing that still fits to certain population parameters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I like it.