Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Robocop 3 was the only, and i mean only, VHS my parents didn't bother to pack before we moved to Texas. After I watched it and the only choice for entertainment was to watch it again...i still didn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Someone bought it for me on VHS, and movies were more expensive back then. You made do with what you had. And Robocop 3 isn't the worst film I've seen, it's at least watchable.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Which one had the crack head robot?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

marshmallow creep posted:

Robocop 3 was the only, and i mean only, VHS my parents didn't bother to pack before we moved to Texas. After I watched it and the only choice for entertainment was to watch it again...i still didn't.

I like to imagine you left it standing on the porch and it reached out to you as you drove away.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Croatoan posted:

Which one had the crack head robot?

That's Cain in Robocop 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z392_rf26HY

My favorite subtle movie moment in Robocop 2 is comic book writer/artist Frank Miller (of The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City fame) is the drug manufacturer that gives Cain the Purple Haze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHST6w3A8es

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Which was worse: RoboCop 3 or Superman 4?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Superman 4: The Quest For Peace didn't have a second-rate actor replace Christopher Reeve.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
But that just meant we had to see Christopher Reeve debase himself for...that.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Imagined posted:

And isn't that one the one he wrote?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Coming off the best superhero movie ever in Superman 3 (I was young and didn’t know better) I can’t even accurately describe the betrayal I felt from Superman 4.

It might have been the first time I ever felt offended at something.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krispy Wafer posted:

Coming off the best superhero movie ever in Superman 3 (I was young and didn’t know better) I can’t even accurately describe the betrayal I felt from Superman 4.

It might have been the first time I ever felt offended at something.

Superman 3 is the only one I remember, because of that goddamned robot lady scene :gonk:

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Kramdar posted:

Why would you ever re-watch RoboCop 3.

When I'm working from home, I like to have a movie on in the background as distraction. If I'm under a tight deadline, I play Robocop 1, 2 and 3 as incentive to finish working inside of the first two movies.

If I'm in a super hurry, I do the same with Starship Troopers. Do you know how much you can get done if the alternative to meeting a deadline is watching Starship Troopers 2?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And isn't that one the one he wrote?

Close. He has a story credit but not a screenplay credit.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Reeve pushed really hard for the story to be about Superman doing something about all the nukes. Golan and Globus financed the movie and shot it in the UK because it was super cheap and their solution to making Milton Keynes look like Metropolis was to place US-style fire hydrants randomly in shots:

The budget was slashed in half during production which goes some way towards explaining why the film turned out as lovely as it did, and why so many effects shots got reused and why Superman uses his special "wall repairing vision power" to fix the Great Wall of China. He was supposed to rebuild it by hand at super speed but the budget didn't cover that so they just made up some dumb poo poo and called it a day. :v:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The budget was slashed in half during production which goes some way towards explaining why the film turned out as lovely as it did, and why so many effects shots got reused and why Superman uses his special "wall repairing vision power" to fix the Great Wall of China. He was supposed to rebuild it by hand at super speed but the budget didn't cover that so they just made up some dumb poo poo and called it a day. :v:

To be fair, Golden (silver?) age Superman had all kinds of weirdass powers so if you went back far enough I wouldnt be surprised if he has wall repairing vision in his playbook.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I do remember being really disappointed in some of the effects shots. His X-ray vision looked much jankier than any of the prior movies.

Some of the back story of Superman's productions are bananas:

quote:

Casting of Superman https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman_(1978_film)

It was initially decided to first sign an A-list actor for Superman before Richard Donner was hired as director. Robert Redford was offered a large sum, but felt he was too famous. Burt Reynolds also turned down the role, while Sylvester Stallone was interested, but nothing ever came of it. Paul Newman was offered his choice of roles as Superman, Lex Luthor or Jor-El for $4 million, turning down all three roles.[11]

When it was next decided to cast an unknown actor, casting director Lynn Stalmaster first suggested Christopher Reeve, but Donner and the producers felt he was too young and skinny.[13] Over 200 unknown actors auditioned for Superman.[25]

Olympic champion Bruce (Caitlyn) Jenner had auditioned for the title role.[11] Patrick Wayne was cast, but dropped out when his father John Wayne was diagnosed with stomach cancer.[23]

Both Neil Diamond and Arnold Schwarzenegger lobbied hard for the role, but were ignored. James Caan, James Brolin, Lyle Waggoner, Christopher Walken, Nick Nolte, Jon Voight, and Perry King were approached.[11][17] Kris Kristofferson and Charles Bronson were also considered for the title role.[26]

James Caan said he was offered the part but turned it down. "I just couldn't wear that suit."[27]

"We found guys with fabulous physique who couldn't act or wonderful actors who did not look remotely like Superman," creative consultant Tom Mankiewicz remembered. The search became so desperate that producer Ilya Salkind's wife's dentist was screen tested.[11][17]

Stalmaster convinced Donner and Ilya to have Reeve screen test in February 1977. Reeve stunned the director and producers, but he was told to wear a "muscle suit" to produce the desired muscular physique. Reeve refused,[14][28] undertaking a strict physical exercise regime headed by David Prowse. Prowse had wanted to portray Superman, but was denied an audition by the filmmakers because he was not American. Prowse also auditioned for Non. Reeve went from 188 to 212 pounds during pre-production and filming.[29] Reeve was paid a mere $250,000 for both Superman and Superman II, while his veteran co-stars received huge sums of money: $3.7 million for Brando and $2 million for Hackman for Superman I.[30] However, Reeve felt, "'Superman' brought me many opportunities, rather than closing a door in my face."[31] Jeff East portrays teenage Clark Kent. East's lines were overdubbed by Reeve during post-production. "I was not happy about it because the producers never told me what they had in mind," East commented. "It was done without my permission but it turned out to be okay. Chris did a good job but it caused tension between us. We resolved our issues with each other years later."[10] East also tore several thigh muscles when performing the stunt of racing alongside the train. He applied 3 to 4 hours of prosthetic makeup daily to facially resemble Reeve.[10]

Charles Bronson's Superman would have been dark.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Joey Freshwater posted:

To be fair, Golden (silver?) age Superman had all kinds of weirdass powers so if you went back far enough I wouldnt be surprised if he has wall repairing vision in his playbook.

Uh, excuse me, Golden Age Superman would just use his heat vision to melt the wall around the damage, melting it to cover the hole.
:goonsay:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason that reminded me of the third Robocop where, after the samurai robot cuts off Murphy's arm with a sword, you can clearly see it in a black sleeve just tied behind his back throughout the rest of the scene. Like it's right loving there. I need to find a clip.

Same with Seven where the smackhead had his arm cut off but it's right there, laying under the prosthetic. Like he didn't even try and tuck it behind his back at all.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Krispy Wafer posted:

I do remember being really disappointed in some of the effects shots. His X-ray vision looked much jankier than any of the prior movies.

Some of the back story of Superman's productions are bananas:

Charles Bronson's Superman would have been dark.

Oh man, we could have had Cool Hand Luth!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Imagined posted:

Part of the reason he agreed to do it was because the producers agreed to finance another movie (Street Smart) that Reeve actually wanted to get made.

Android Apocalypse posted:

That's Cain in Robocop 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z392_rf26HY

My favorite subtle movie moment in Robocop 2 is comic book writer/artist Frank Miller (of The Dark Knight Returns and Sin City fame) is the drug manufacturer that gives Cain the Purple Haze.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHST6w3A8es

Miller worked on the script for Robocop 2 but I believe they didn't actually use a lot of what he came up with. His version did eventually see life in a comic book adaptation.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

muscles like this! posted:

Miller worked on the script for Robocop 2 but I believe they didn't actually use a lot of what he came up with. His version did eventually see life in a comic book adaptation.

Did it have Robocop protecting a prostitute with a heart of gold from a Muslim rapist who had a woman with swastika pasties as a sidekick?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

"You're a teef! I can get this two blocks down for two fitty!" whud crunch BRRRAP thuk thuk

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Screaming Idiot posted:

Did it have Robocop protecting a prostitute with a heart of gold from a Muslim rapist who had a woman with swastika pasties as a sidekick?

I didn't know Joker was Muslim.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

You never noticed he only ate HAHAHAHAlal meat?

:dadjoke:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

He was the Iranian ambassador that one time.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Guys. Mind blown.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stargate/comments/d14e43/in_stargate_continuum_when_they_arrive_in_the/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Update

I finished the outer wilds

The whole game is moment after moment of good game design and the ending was amazing

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

What? You didn't learn this in elementary school Earth science? Or is that :thejoke:?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beachcomber posted:

What? You didn't learn this in elementary school Earth science? Or is that :thejoke:?

It's :thejoke:

But also I didn't learn that until after highschool so you aren't wrong

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

It: Chapter II has a line from Carpenter's Thing that was a nice little surprise. Hint: A head grows legs...

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Eclipse12 posted:

It: Chapter II has a line from Carpenter's Thing that was a nice little surprise. Hint: A head grows legs...

Out of a fortune cookie?

Related:

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Out of a fortune cookie?

Related:

Whats the subtle moment here?

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

In S T A L K E R by tarkovsky

Around 50:05
https://youtu.be/Kgocncu6MBw

I implore you to look at the clip before despoilering,

in there is this scene that tracks up to a busted car, and peers through the window, frames the characters. But there is a bit of rubble that looks a bit like a gun, The whole thing has a mood of distrustworthyness and it sorta comes out of nowhere and makes you think there is an armed character stalking them.

It just caught me off guard and I was suckered into the movie

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Dude that is not rubble and you're absolutely supposed to notice it. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but it's the entire point of the shot

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
Ya, it's a German MG-34, which as a Russian movie company you probably could get cheap as props by digging them up out of the ground. :v:

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

RCarr posted:

The watermark. If you saw that in theaters, you could navigate to the site on your phone and receive a free rear end kicking for using your bright phone in the middle of a movie.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

RCarr posted:

The Joker.

and RE: the watermark, it's not out on BR or digital download yet so even though I saw it in a theater I had to get the pic elsewhere because I don't take screenshots in the theater with my phone

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Dude that is not rubble and you're absolutely supposed to notice it. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but it's the entire point of the shot

Well aware it's the point, and that, visually it's about as blunt as a sledgehammer. but that the entire thing is communicated visually, and that I could probably show someone on the street and them not "get it". But it's totally and undeniably there makes it a favourite moment

ElBrak posted:

Ya, it's a German MG-34, which as a Russian movie company you probably could get cheap as props by digging them up out of the ground. :v:

I meant rubble in the sense that it isn't a manned machine gun and for intents and purposes it might aswell be a pipe that was dug up, and that I may or may not have seen it in a less than optimal quality first time round

Jestery has a new favorite as of 22:44 on Sep 13, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wasn’t there a body next to the machine gun so it’s technically manned?

The YouTube copy is only subtitled in Spanish so I can follow the action at a preschool level at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wasn’t there a body next to the machine gun so it’s technically manned?

The YouTube copy is only subtitled in Spanish so I can follow the action at a preschool level at best.

Ya, that whole scene is them in the middle of the Military's first response to the zone, which was sending a bunch of soldiers in to see what was up. Obviously they all died horribly. But they did mark some of the anomalies, so mission success.