Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Krankenstyle posted:

that take goes back decades online, probably centuries irl
I'd assume the argument goes back nearly all the way to the first time morality was judged to flow from God/divine beings. Like, the moment you say "This is bad because the divine says it's bad" you've laid the ground works for "And thus anyone who doesn't believe in the divine has no moral guide". It might not have been written down in a philosophical treatise*, but it's a really obvious angle of attack on atheists or people who do not believe in your god(s).

*Or it's one completely ignored in favor of the Western canon/was destroyed in some disaster during the intervening millenia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tunicate posted:

He didnt tho? Like titan is a totally desolate wreck, and thanos just rants about how it was because they didnt listen to him.

Ah sorry I was confusing Titan with Gamora's home planet. I think that's the one Thanos said became healthy and good after he killed half the people (though admittedly you kinda have to take him at his word on that).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Tulip posted:

People thought that Nietzsche was a nihilist even though "nihilism" was like his greatest enemy lol

I always thought of Nietzsche being more of a right wing constructivist who used nihilism as a baseline to develop new values that didn't depend on God for their validation.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Blast of Confetti posted:

christians admitting theyd be raping and murdering nonstop without the bible is a lol

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Ytlaya posted:

Ah sorry I was confusing Titan with Gamora's home planet. I think that's the one Thanos said became healthy and good after he killed half the people (though admittedly you kinda have to take him at his word on that).

This might have already been covered in-thread but according to the human alien police in Guardians 1 she was the last of her species.

Plenty of fan-theories around as to why but it's more likely an oversight.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I always thought of Nietzsche being more of a right wing constructivist who used nihilism as a baseline to develop new values that didn't depend on God for their validation.

His politics are all over the place, partially because he switched horses loving hard on "is Wagner good or not" midway through his career (early career: Wagner is good because beauty is the highest value; late career: Wagner is bad because anti-semitism is a disgusting weakness), but mostly because he just straight up doesn't share core values with either side.

He's definitely more friendly to right wing views because he's extremely anti-egalitarian, anti-utilitarian, and super misogynistic (he was a big dumb incel and this might be the actual core), but he's still pretty useless to right wing politics in practice because
  • Anti-nationalist
  • Hates anti-semites (not particularly for good reasons - Nietzsche viewed anti-semitism as a cowardly way to avoid taking responsibility for your own destiny)
  • His vision of anti-egalitarianism only sometimes falls on race lines (an ubermensch can come from any race but Germans specifically suck) and is implicitly anti-inheritance
  • Anti-traditionalist to the extreme but especially doubly so for Christianity

He's also a pain in the rear end to read in any straightforward manner because he dips in and out of sarcasm like 3 times a page and thinks that language is intrinsically dishonest. But his vision of a good world is a pan-Europe where all traditional power structures are burnt to ash to make way for the small number of ubermensch to ascend to titanic status that we might emulate them and create new ways of loving the world and loving our fates, freed of the chains placed on us by cowards.

Which is bad for the right because both the traditionalism and the power structures went bye-bye, and bad for the left because uh we don't fetishize suffering that way and more importantly don't believe that the world produces transcendental over-achievers.

tl;dr Nietzsche is fun to read but politically useless unless you're willing to HEAVILY edit out the parts you already disagree with and in which case just like use somebody else

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lollllllllll

https://twitter.com/fightforprop13/status/1169701736799494146

the 2020 ballot has a prop that will eliminate commercial properties from prop 13 tax exemptions and a buncha chambers of commerce are mad about it

H.P. Hovercraft has issued a correction as of 16:41 on Sep 8, 2019

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

What

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
please download my new app which connects you to a real black person and allows you to negotiate a fair price for a single use n-word pass

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Taintrunner posted:

please download my new app which connects you to a real black person and allows you to negotiate a fair price for a single use n-word pass

buying n-word passes in bulk to fix prices and cash in on the stand up comedian market

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Hey man can you spare some change?? I gotta write a paper on Huckleberry Finn but I'm strapped for cash atm

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

A little stock ticker plays at the bottom of a skeptic YouTube video that flashes the serial number of each n-word pass they use during the video

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

cool dance moves posted:

Hey man can you spare some change?? I gotta write a paper on Huckleberry Finn but I'm strapped for cash atm

our class had to take turns reading pages of all of huckleberry finn in middleschool and it was a wild ride

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

our class had to take turns reading pages of all of huckleberry finn in middleschool and it was a wild ride

our teacher asked us if we thought huck was racist or not and had everyone publicly vote on it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

turn off the TV posted:

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

steinrokkan posted:

Pascal's wager is the opposite - you can be moral without God, but what if your morality doesn't matter if you don't believe in God?

I'm gonna need more of an explanation here. I understand the first part, but trying to parse the rest is really loving my brain up :psyduck:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Blast of Confetti posted:

christians admitting theyd be raping and murdering nonstop without the bible is a lol

Weird that that would be a deterrent because there's fuckin tons of rape and murder in the bible

but it's not like they ever read it lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm gonna need more of an explanation here. I understand the first part, but trying to parse the rest is really loving my brain up :psyduck:
The idea being that you could live up to every moral rule God judges humans by, but you get sent to Hell after death because you didn't believe in God.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The idea being that you could live up to every moral rule God judges humans by, but you get sent to Hell after death because you didn't believe in God.

but wouldn't that also require me to believe in hell? :thunk:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

The existence of God (and Heaven/Hell) is independent of your belief.

Believes in God, but God isn't real: You just cease to exist.
Belives in God, and God is real: You go to Heaven.
Doesn't believe in God, and God isn't real: You just cease to exist.
Doesn't believe in God, and God is real: You go to Hell.

Pascal's Wager is basically saying there's no upside to not believing in God, just a potential infinitely bad downside, while the opposite is true for believing. Thus the only rational thing is to believe in God.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Zipperelli. posted:

It's a pretty common Christian belief that you don't have to believe in Hell to get sent there, but you do have to believe in Heaven to get there, because God sends believers to Heaven and non-believers to Hell. (Maybe some adjustments for good works/unrepented sins, people who never got to hear about Jesus, etc.)

Pascal's Wager is the idea that if you think that version of Christianity might be correct - even a 1% chance - it's rational to believe in God in order to guarantee your chances of getting into Heaven. This was groundbreaking at the time because it was one of the first applications of rational decision theory, and because it provoked conversation about the limits thereof. Do we have such control over our minds that we can choose what we believe, and does God care about our faith if we adopt it for such cynical reasons?

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 21:09 on Sep 8, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's just rationalization, of course, since there are many gods to choose from and it might be worse to choose the wrong one than to abstain.

Hardly anyone considers Pascal's Wager 3D

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Civilized Fishbot posted:

It's a pretty common Christian belief that you don't have to believe in Hell to get sent there, but you do have to believe in Heaven to get there, because God sends believers to Heaven and non-believers to Hell. (Maybe some adjustments for good works/unrepented sins, people who never got to hear about Jesus, etc.)

Pascal's Wager is the idea that if you think that version of Christianity might be correct - even a 1% chance - it's rational to believe in God in order to guarantee your chances of getting into Heaven. This was groundbreaking at the time because it was one of the first applications of rational decision theory, and because it provoked conversation about the limits thereof. Do we have such control over our minds that we can choose what we believe, and does God care about our faith if we adopt it for such cynical reasons?

God is a massive rules lawyer and would just respect you more for gaming the system

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
unless you rules lawyer in a specific way you can’t predict, then he will just off you

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FFT posted:

It's just rationalization, of course, since there are many gods to choose from and it might be worse to choose the wrong one than to abstain.

Hardly anyone considers Pascal's Wager 3D

Diderot pointed this out, but I don't know of any religions other than (some forms of) Christianity that specifically stipulate that all non-believers go to hell. Obviously Zeus and Allah and Ahura Mazda would prefer you believed in them and played by their rules, but those faiths don't have ironclad rules that all-nonbelievers go to hell. So Christianity is your best bet because even if Allah sends you to Jahannam for 50,000 years for being a non-believer before judging you on your works and deeds, that's still nothing compared to an eternity in hell.

Civilized Fishbot has issued a correction as of 21:26 on Sep 8, 2019

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Diderot pointed this out, but I don't know of any religions other than (some forms of) Christianity that specifically stipulate that all non-believers go to hell. Obviously Zeus and Allah and Ahura Mazda would prefer you believed in them and played by their rules, but those faiths don't have ironclad rules that all-nonbelievers go to hell.

what if the texts weren't clear about that part because it wouldn't be a fair choice if you were pressured?

what if believing in the wrong god makes your heart heavier than a feather regardless of your morality?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

FFT posted:

what if the texts weren't clear about that part because it wouldn't be a fair choice if you were pressured?

what if believing in the wrong god makes your heart heavier than a feather regardless of your morality?

Then, of course, you're hosed. To be clear, Pascal was a mathematician and philosopher, not a priest - he wasn't trying to actually get people to believe in God, he was using a radical example to both introduce and undermine a new way to think about how we make choices. He was aware that this is a strange, silly way to think about belief - that's the point

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ok, I get it now. Appreciate the breakdown.

Religion is still dumb AF.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Then, of course, you're hosed. To be clear, Pascal was a mathematician and philosopher, not a priest - he wasn't trying to actually get people to believe in God, he was using a radical example to both introduce and undermine a new way to think about how we make choices. He was aware that this is a strange, silly way to think about belief - that's the point

"What if God is in a box and may or may not be dead when you observe It" is a bit hilarious

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FFT posted:

Pascal's Wager mainly deals with faith vs. atheism but I'm pretty sure a 17th century philosopher would draw an evidentiary distinction between a religion with holy texts that explicitly describe its god as jealous, and Supergod who's twice as vindictive as the Christian god but you just made him up.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Wokeness that never happened.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I was so proud when my 6 year old said "mommy, why is the baka gaijin on the tv violating the kokutai spirit?"

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I prefer my Wokeness Weeaboo flavored

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lord of Pie posted:

God is a massive rules lawyer and would just respect you more for gaming the system

this is also why "Gosh Darn It!" isn't taking the lord's name in vain. You changed a few letters, so even if the entire intent and feeling behind it was the same, :eng101: you technically didn't blaspheme!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
No one would be taking the Lᴏʀᴅ’s name in vain if he hadn’t specifically forbidden the practice.

It’s the world’s oldest example of the Streisand Effect.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

I mean I assume this happened in Japan

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

liberalism with an extra layer of being really badly phrased

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean I assume this happened in Japan

yes, but also, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
i ordered in perfect japanese and she asked me to marry her but i had to turn her down as it's against bushido code to marry