Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Sex Hobbit posted:

You're either younger than me or went to one that was wildly different from my local one. The one I shopped at in the late 90s/early 00s didn't sell anything like that. The closest it got to pop culture was Invader Zim, Tim Burton stuff and Happy Tree Friends. They 100% didn't have any anime stuff; that was the height of my DBZ/Gundam Wing phase so I would definitely remember that.

Early 30s myself. I remember my old hot topic had the exact logo that the one above did, the zig-zag neon green one. We got two NWO shirts there because it was the only place that had them and we weren't ordering them from over the phone.

Early 2000s they had the nintendo stuff, as that's where i got my overworn Nintendo Power jacket from.

Other than that I bought a lot of Jelly Bracelets and studded leather bracelets from there because I thought I was edgy as hell in high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/90smaniax/status/1169218901936263169?s=21

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

the official Nintendo soundtrack featuring Roy Oribson

yee-ow

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
At least the guy in the vest is having a good time.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Sep 5, 2019

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

the official Nintendo soundtrack featuring Roy Oribson

yee-ow

The booklet that comes with the Jellyfish box set talks about how they were the only ones who actually submitted a song about the subject matter.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
my local hot topic definitely had sailor moon merch in the late 90s, i remember finding it and thinking it was cool to find something anime related somewhere besides the "oriental gifts" store

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below
Kids love Crosby Stills & Nash.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I can hear this GIF. Well, both of them, but especially this one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doc M posted:

I can hear this GIF. Well, both of them, but especially this one.

:same:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I don’t know if there were any Hot Topics in NEOhio malls outside of Cleveland in the late ‘90s, so I had to go to local comic book shops for the Gundam models I was rubbish at painting. Now that I don’t care, poo poo’s loving everywhere.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Canada didn't get any hot topics until fairly recently. I have no idea where edgy kids got their clothes growing up.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Canada didn't get any hot topics until fairly recently. I have no idea where edgy kids got their clothes growing up.

Yeah growing up I only knew of hot topic through goth whispers on the neopets message boards. Our local bong shop, of all places?? filled the niche until Canada got its first hot topic in like 2010

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I'm pretty sure my metropolitan area had a Hot Topic in the late 90's but it was located at the "distant" mall, so I never went there when I would have been a prime target. By the time that I was going on those adventures I was squarely into True MetalTM so I wouldn't have been caught dead in a Hot Topic.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

twistedmentat posted:

They had to craft thir own from black jeans and chains and tire studs from the hardware store.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Played the poo poo out of KI and definitely KI2. Spinal, Glacier, Sabrewulf.

Laser etched in my brain and reflexes to this day.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
My hometown had a couple alt clothes stores where all the gothlings and punks would get their clothes, that and thrift stores. The guy I knew that ran Subterranea, which was one of the two places to get weird clothes, basiclaly shut down not long after Hot Topic finally showed up.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Dreadwroth2 posted:

My hometown had a couple alt clothes stores where all the gothlings and punks would get their clothes, that and thrift stores. The guy I knew that ran Subterranea, which was one of the two places to get weird clothes, basiclaly shut down not long after Hot Topic finally showed up.

A few places popped in my home town when the 90's new-hippie fad was booming. They'd sell like bootleg Grateful Dead concerts and tie-die everything and cheap 'mystical' style jewelry; black light posters etc. Turns out operating a store in a town of like 45k people that only maybe 100 of those people shopped in, most of them high school students, wasn't going to make rent so they all closed down pretty quick. They didn't sell bongs or smoking paraphernalia due to the conservative nature of the town (Midland, Michigan is basically the suburb of Dow Chemical) but if they had they probably would still be around since even republicans secretly like weed.

I remember that a giant mall was finished in the early 90s there as well but by the time I graduated in 96 half the spaces weren't occupied and it was mostly the theater/food court/anchor stores. I think it's still operating but man, finishing a big mall right before Amazon.com comes online is bad timing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

I don’t know if there were any Hot Topics in NEOhio malls outside of Cleveland in the late ‘90s, so I had to go to local comic book shops for the Gundam models I was rubbish at painting. Now that I don’t care, poo poo’s loving everywhere.

I know Canton got one by 01/02 but I'm not sure when exactly it replaced Natural Wonders at Beldon Village Mall Westville Shopping Center Beldon Village Mall

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYAEHE2GrM

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!

All these years later, this video still gets to me.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
This car has big 90's energy.

https://twitter.com/ao_s2k/status/1170121447684968448?s=20

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I asked one of my goth friends and he ordered a lot out of alternative press but there were clothing stores in our hometown that did sell edgy clothing. They were mostly hole in the wall places that you'd miss.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Anyone who lived in southern california in 1992 will remember people wearing t-shirts that said, “My wife said if I go surfing one more time, she would leave me. Gosh i’ll miss her.”

Also, Big Johnson t-shirts. Which were always worn by guys who looked like they had the smallest dicks.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ChocNitty posted:

Anyone who lived in southern california in 1992 will remember people wearing t-shirts that said, “My wife said if I go surfing one more time, she would leave me. Gosh i’ll miss her.”

Also, Big Johnson t-shirts. Which were always worn by guys who looked like they had the smallest dicks.

That and Co-Ed Naked Sport/Activity shirts. Even as a kid those shirts seemed lame to me.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

I always thought those blurry text t-shirts were dumb as hell too

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

ChocNitty posted:

My school preemptively banned these and the Co-Ed Naked <whatever> shirts before anyone could even show up in one.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The_Franz posted:

My school preemptively banned these and the Co-Ed Naked <whatever> shirts before anyone could even show up in one.

I don't know if my rural southern school system was naive or just didn't care because they didn't ban them. Big Johnson and Coed Naked were popular 5th and 6th grade years. The edgy T-shirt trend then turned to No Fear. Or, because middle school was so cliquish, its much less regarded (but borderline acceptable) knock-off, which I think was Fear Nothing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The_Franz posted:

I don't know if mine was oblivious or what but it took them months before Big Johnson was explicitly banned. The shirts becoming less subtle somehow over time may have been an influence. Weird how a mixture of redneck and conservative can find an equilibrium between "boys will be boys" and "that's disgusting" for so long.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Oh man No Fear shirts and wrestling was like the pre-teen male zeitgeist at the turn of the century.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

skooma512 posted:

Oh man No Fear shirts and wrestling was like the pre-teen male zeitgeist at the turn of the century.

My first car had a NO FEAR windscreen sticker across the top but that was around 2002 already cause I was always late on things.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Someone who lived near to us when I was growing up had the "No Fear" logo painted on their car. They also had one of those Christian fish things on the bumper, so my mum assumed that the logo was a Christian thing. And I suppose it wouldn't have been completely illogical if it was.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the Christian version was "Real Fear" I think

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Not really too notable, but I saw a “No Fear” sticker in Karachi, Pakistan when I went there around 2008. Same font as all the others that exist. Always struck me as kinda crazy. Sitting on a grimy little motorcycle outside the place we just had lunch.
How far did that sticker travel... did it come from China to the US and then back over there? Or did it come straight from China for some reason? Or maybe they were manufactured there for a while... idk

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A girl in my class came in one day wearing a South Park "kick the baby!" T-shirt. Boy did that get a response.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jaguars! posted:

A girl in my class came in one day wearing a South Park "kick the baby!" T-shirt. Boy did that get a response.

When I was in the third grade, the teachers sat down all the third and fourth grade students for a very special lecture to not watch that filthy disgusting new show South Park.

Most of us hadn't heard of South Park until they told us about it...

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Len posted:

I know Canton got one by 01/02 but I'm not sure when exactly it replaced Natural Wonders at Beldon Village Mall Westville Shopping Center Beldon Village Mall

ah, Natural Wonders, you sold me so many fountains I swore I would properly maintain and ended up having to throw out

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Neddy Seagoon posted:

When I was in the third grade, the teachers sat down all the third and fourth grade students for a very special lecture to not watch that filthy disgusting new show South Park.

Most of us hadn't heard of South Park until they told us about it...

Sounds like when 1994 we got cable, and my parents decided it was a good idea to explain why we weren't allowed to watch Beavis and Butthead (and MTV as a whole) by showing us an episode of Beavis and Butthead.

They recorded an episode, watched it, and then sat my brother and I down to watch it again. The episode in question was Closing Time. It's the one where they're working the late shift at Burger World and the health inspector arrives.

Just about every other minute my dad would pause the tape and tell us what would happen in "the real world." The only actual one I remember is when they were throwing hamburger at the ceiling fan, my dad said "do you know what just happened? They just LOST THEIR JOBS!"

Needless to say I was 13 at the time and that worked like catnip, and started me actually watching Beavis and Butthead.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Just about every other minute my dad would pause the tape and tell us what would happen in "the real world." The only actual one I remember is when they were throwing hamburger at the ceiling fan, my dad said "do you know what just happened? They just LOST THEIR JOBS!"

ahahahahahahaha this rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

There's nothing better than some sweet sweet backfiring