Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I'm going to buy the iPhone XR tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Ruffian Price posted:

Don't you have to hold the finger for half a second? You could totally input four digits in 0.3s, saving the 200ms for productivity tasks

:hmmyes:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

echinopsis posted:

Originally when I got touchid, I never bothered because the 4 digit pin was faster

but then the next ios update made it so that you have to fail the touchid for the pin entry to come up, so it became faster to use touchid

fuckin hell apple

if you never used touchid why did you not disable it, forcing the phone to exclusively use pin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

if you never used touchid why did you not disable it, forcing the phone to exclusively use pin

coz I never fuckin' thought of that did I

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
incompetence is a genuine reason for many things, not simply an excuse

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

was going to write something entirely wrong, as i had somehow missed that biometrics have been brought back to being legally on the same level as passcodes relatively recently: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...s/#6ab6728442b7

i still do the pin for a combination of simple security advantages and because it punishes me a little bit for excessively checking my phone, but the case is pretty weak now.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
im gonna wanna buy a sonos thing maybe this black friday so itd be cool if theres a new homepod and its better than the current one

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

was going to write something entirely wrong, as i had somehow missed that biometrics have been brought back to being legally on the same level as passcodes relatively recently: https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...s/#6ab6728442b7

i still do the pin for a combination of simple security advantages and because it punishes me a little bit for excessively checking my phone, but the case is pretty weak now.

use a passphrase

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

poty posted:

im gonna wanna buy a sonos thing maybe this black friday so itd be cool if theres a new homepod and its better than the current one

just buy the ikea one

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have the smaller ikea speaker and it owns

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

PCjr sidecar posted:

just buy the ikea one

this.

You can just yank the guts out of it and hook it into whatever higher-quality speaker you want, since its got 2 amplifiers built-in and the crossover is done with software – plug it into the woofer and tweeter then run the calibration app and it tunes itself to that specific speaker perfectly

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Jimmy Carter posted:

this.

You can just yank the guts out of it and hook it into whatever higher-quality speaker you want, since its got 2 amplifiers built-in and the crossover is done with software – plug it into the woofer and tweeter then run the calibration app and it tunes itself to that specific speaker perfectly

im sure it sounds fine

and if it doesnt then return them and buy better ones

i dont have a million speakers lying around im not qirex

Zoodpipe
Jun 24, 2004

This is an important call. So, shut the fuck up.
Fallen Rib

poty posted:

im sure it sounds fine

and if it doesnt then return them and buy better ones

i dont have a million speakers lying around im not qirex

Jimmy Carter posted:

this.

from tear down videos, it appears to have the same drivers and components as the Sonos 1 for $50+ less

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
BTW if you're scared of cops, you can mash the side button 6 times or something to disable faceid and touchid. I tend to do that whenever I notice police around.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

jit bull transpile posted:

BTW if you're scared of cops, you can mash the side button 6 times or something to disable faceid and touchid. I tend to do that whenever I notice police around.

yah this is good I’m glad they added it

acab

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

my feelings on police have changed so dramatically over the last 10 years.

the fact the canadian police didn't even blink when the government passed an idiotic law allowing them to breathalyze you 3 hours after you may or may not have been drinking (so if you got home and started drinking lol get owned) really made me question things.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

SRQ posted:

the fact the canadian police didn't even blink when the government passed an idiotic law allowing them to breathalyze you 3 hours after you may or may not have been drinking (so if you got home and started drinking lol get owned) really made me question things.

Did you mean to write '3 hours after you may or may not have been driving'?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
oh hey it’s pissflaps

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Uptime Sinclair posted:

oh hey it’s pissflaps
cool!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Ruffian Price posted:

Don't you have to hold the finger for half a second? You could totally input four digits in 0.3s, saving the 200ms for productivity tasks

yeah maybe on the 5S it was like that, even by 6 it was near instantaneous

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SRQ posted:

so u can get busted for drink driving without them catching you in the act?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

echinopsis posted:

so u can get busted for drink driving without them catching you in the act?

https://twitter.com/PaulDoroshenko/status/1147635612381581312

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i understand that on average your bac goes down about 0.01 units each hour after you stop drinking

so why don't they just drop the limit by 0.02

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

i don't believe this is real

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Pissflaps posted:

Did you mean to write '3 hours after you may or may not have been driving'?

cool its pissflaps

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The law was changed because "everyone" (particularly problem drinkers) knew that you could beat the charges with the defense "I had a few stiff drinks from this here flask after the accident/getting pulled over".

Hit something while drunk? Good christ, do not remain at scene. Go home and drink a lot immediately, the penalty for the hit and run is way less than impaired driving. Etc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is uber touching their fingers into the legislation

I guess I understand why this exists, but how do they know when you stopped driving? can you simply plant car keys on a drunk person you don’t like and call the cops?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

James Baud posted:

Hit something while drunk? Good christ, do not remain at scene. Go home and drink a lot immediately, the penalty for the hit and run is way less than impaired driving. Etc

huh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Jonny 290 posted:

cool its pissflaps

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the charitable interpretation is that lawmakers looked at that behaviour and decided that wanted to do something about it, but didn't even consider what other reasonable behaviour they would also be making illegal

a better way would be to just make penalties for hit-and-run stuff more severe, if you cause an accident and then gently caress off without even checking whether the person you hit is alright then you deserve it even if you're stone-cold sober.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

cool its pissflaps

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
do they make breathalyzers you can plug into an iPhone?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jimmy Carter posted:

do they make breathalyzers you can plug into an iPhone?

you must be __this__ drunk to unlock Grindr for Saturday nights

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Holy :lol: they've been been in existence since at least April 2013, at least 8 of them according to Google.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

the idea is if you're drunk and cause a wreck, the dui will cost at a minimum $5000 and most likely closer to $10000 depending on the extent of the damage. a citation for hit and run, otoh, will cost your insurance deductible and the cost of the ticket.

instead of waiting to get arrested for the dui post crash, you high tail it somewhere with booze and start drinking. then when police show up, you are drunk from the alcohol you just drank - not from before the crash. you were sober then. note that this is extremely dumb, reckless, and isn't guaranteed. you're likely to still end up with the dui pursuing this course of action, but sometimes it is effective.

a law prohibiting you from having a bac above the legal limit a couple of hours after driving is meant to counter this specific scenario.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

when are new iphones
are they gonna be any good
when is the next iPhone that isn't a phablet

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Bloody posted:

when are new iphones

tomorrow, release two Fridays from now probably
they're the same as last year's
probably a new budget model (maybe new SE, maybe 8 with new internals) in the spring

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

how is the apple card

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bloody posted:

when are new iphones

tomorrow
probably
the iphone 6 came out years ago, so there's constantly been on available