Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sincx has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Mar 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
oh boy I can't wait to see what next fallacy I break from yourlogicalfallacyis.com

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
is this strawman? I must know what i get!!! from yourlogicalfallacyis.com

sincx: all cops are bad

me: true

sincx: protesters mostly good

me: also true

sincx: some are bad

me: eh, gotta look at the situation in HK, its kinda complic-

sincx: jimmy lai is a pro-imperialist extremist!!

me: what does that have to do with protes-

sincx: MOVING GOALPOSTS!!!

me: ok i'll bite

sincx: here's a cold war quote! that means he is pro-imperialist

me: he's advocating for HK and comparing US ideals as being closer to HK than China's authorit-

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

- All cops are bad
- Most of the protestors (those asking for greater autonomy, withdrawal of the extradition legislation, and an investigation into the cops) are good
- The minority of protestors waving US/colonial flags, sucking off Trump/Pence, demanding independence or "self-determination," and inciting violence (generally the same people) are bad

Don't try to ignore the fact that the number of protestors went from millions to a few thousand after the government compromised with the withdrawal earlier this week.

And bad cops don't magically make the bad protestors good

edit: I have been very consistent in saying that cops are bad and these HK cops have been especially terrible. If the HK government was competent and actually followed the autonomy provisions in the Basic Law, this would never have gotten to this point, and these pro-imperialist extremists would never have gotten the platform they're now getting.

I don't know why you might think we're disagreeing, since I agree with all of those points. My stance on this has and continues to be that the protests are a complex thing with actors all across the political spectrum. I agree gently caress pro-imperialist people, I just hate that whenever they're brought up they're treated as representing the entirety of the protests.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

BrokenGameboy posted:

I agree gently caress pro-imperialist people, I just hate that whenever they're brought up they're treated as representing the entirety of the protests.

I actually don't really know any pro-imperialists, except those framed as such by tankies

Hong kongers just want HK to be free, man

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
From my (admittedly limited) understanding they're mostly a part of some right wing localist group. I'll need to look back and see if any of them explicitly called for us intervention, but placing their faith in America and trump is dumb by itself.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Desperate people praying for foreign intervention is also not the same thing as being a fifth column or whatever.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The foreign intervention being the amendment to the United States–Hong Kong Policy Act, that allows for HK to have special trading arrangements with the US, rather than boots on the ground kind of intervention (sorry if I am moving goalposts again, bad habit). Pretty sure this was the kind of stuff that Jimmy Lai and Joshua Wong were meeting the US government officials about that everyone likes to frame as pro-imperialist extremists collaborating with CIA to take down Hong Kong and China.

The amendment just adds more clauses to make sure HK is 'sufficiently autonomous' so that the policy can remain in place, as well as a bunch of other protections for HK people from being chased down and persecuted by HK/China governments. It's a lot of stuff.

Kill All Cops has issued a correction as of 05:39 on Sep 9, 2019

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bloodnose posted:

Desperate people praying for foreign intervention is also not the same thing as being a fifth column or whatever.

agreed, but disagreed on "desperate" lol

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Lady Galaga posted:

The foreign intervention being the amendment to the United States–Hong Kong Policy Act, that allows for HK to have special trading arrangements with the US, rather than boots on the ground kind of intervention (sorry if I am moving goalposts again, bad habit).

There is language going around like asking the US to "liberate" HK that sounds a lot more like boots on the ground than passing a foreign policy act though. This particular demonstration was for movement on that legislation, but there have been less specific calls for intervention that, again, are born out of desperation, frustration, hopelessness with the state of the Hong Kong and Chinese governments.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Lady Galaga posted:

is this strawman? I must know what i get!!! from yourlogicalfallacyis.com

sincx: all cops are bad

me: true

sincx: protesters mostly good

me: also true

sincx: some are bad

me: eh, gotta look at the situation in HK, its kinda complic-

sincx: jimmy lai is a pro-imperialist extremist!!

me: what does that have to do with protes-

me: ok i'll bite

sincx: here's a cold war quote! that means he is pro-imperialist

me: he's advocating for HK and comparing US ideals as being closer to HK than China's authorit-

nice meltdown

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Make Hong Kong Great Somehow

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Bloodnose posted:

when was the last time normal people actually begged for foreigners to invade their countries in the sincere belief that war would somehow improve their lives

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Autism Sneaks posted:

nice meltdown

I dont see what this is on yourlogicalfallacyis.com

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

when was the last time normal people actually begged for foreigners to invade their countries in the sincere belief that war would somehow improve their lives

I saw a lot of people unironically asking for US intervention ever since Duterte was elected over here, and especially after public perception was that he's kowtowing to PRC interests

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

nigerian evangelicals, to kill the muslims

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Some Guy TT posted:

Many Americans today

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Typo posted:

Many Americans today

since the calls of "please invade us president xi" are made by imperial chapo leftists who think china is double hitler im gonna go ahead and say those are jokes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I just want President Xi to invade for the career opportunities.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

thats the best looking manliest trump ive seen outside of a garrison cartoon

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
yea i saw it on my timeline earlier too

https://twitter.com/HongKongHermit/status/1170308932490817537

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
https://twitter.com/seizethememez/status/1170687044026109953?s=19

In the replies of the tweet you just posted saying it's one in ten thousand graffiti lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
did sincx just learn what "moving goalposts" means

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Ace of Baes posted:

https://twitter.com/seizethememez/status/1170687044026109953?s=19

In the replies of the tweet you just posted saying it's one in ten thousand graffiti lol

whoa a twitter reply said that

pack it in tankies discussions over

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Some Guy TT posted:

just thought it was funny it was so rare then there's a big crowd of hkers waving American flags shouting it 🤷‍♂️

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

sincx posted:

https://lihkg.com/thread/1544259/page/1

"we want Trump to invade with tanks"

totally normal people, these extremist protestors, and not far-right at all

edit: just noticed the machine-gunning eagle in the back. this thing's got artistic merit

Yeah the graffiti actually removed the irony from the original picture and added sincerity.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

like to take a moment to appreciate this threads use of tankies as a slur when the current point of contention is the relative size and influence of the protest faction that is trying to bring tanks into hong kong and doesnt even seem that picky about which country the tanks are coming from

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

sincx posted:

Tons of support within the protestor community though.

in the OP "推到比侵侵見到" "Upvote so Trump can see it"

tino posted:

Yeah the graffiti actually removed the irony from the original picture and added sincerity.

The fireworks? Or the "You're Fired" on the tank barrel?

Is this just a painting, or is the artist attempting to depict the male protester as god and the female protester is a below him and not equal? Sometimes art is just art

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
I think a lot of the conflict between posters comes from not knowing if someone belives the US flag wavers represent all/majority of the protesters or not. Can we just settle that real quick, because otherwise I feel like this thread is just going to keep going in circles.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

sincx posted:

psst... they aren't smart enough to realize the irony

The GBS China brigade is a group that consists of people who literally can only find jobs as grocery store clerks in the US

what was the last job you held in a western country

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know why it's so controversial to suggest that, however sincere and valid the original protest movement was (and still is), there's absolutely people out there who are either A. clamoring for lovely things because they have bad politics, or B. being co-opted by foreign actors with their own ulterior motives with regards the PRC.

Trying to say that "all protesters are CIA" or "all protesters are begging for colonialism to come back" is not productive, but neither is saying that none of them are.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
2244 likes on a trump tank image + bunch of people chanting trump liberate HK + jimmy lai are pro-imperialist extremists and NOT the majority of the Good Protesters, and all cops are bad, I believe we already reached consensus on that part

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

since the calls of "please invade us president xi" are made by imperial chapo leftists who think china is double hitler im gonna go ahead and say those are jokes

Please don't revoke my tankie card, but I'd imagine the HK protesters are just as sincere if they call for Trump to invade. China is not Venezuela, the US can't do poo poo and most everyone should know this.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Some Guy TT posted:

This is a thread where like 99% of pro-Beijing posts are just a tweet from some random idiot

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

genericnick posted:

Please don't revoke my tankie card, but I'd imagine the HK protesters are just as sincere if they call for Trump to invade. China is not Venezuela, the US can't do poo poo and most everyone should know this.

Trump couldn't even overthrow the pathetic failed state Venezuelan government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

when MY side posts a tweet we are engaged in a noble quest to shed the light of reality on the blighted hellscape that is this subforum. when THEIR side posts a tweet its just some dipshit idiot who sucks probably.