Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Munin posted:

I presume that is getting patched though.

Devs are too busy fixing exploits allowing to make Aztecs not completely useless.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with that Shogun vassal swarm. I haven't tried it myself but I understand it makes you somewhat vulnerable and your vassals are less useful than normal vassals. They can fight each other instead of your enemies. And in MP it's easy for a human player to get a huge warscore against you by occupying your personal land.

Anyway if you want to form Japan for roleplaying reasons than know that big powerful daymos can ruin your day afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
You want them to fight each other tho cause every time someone declares a war you can force them to commit seppuku and get rewards for it

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

ilitarist posted:

Devs are too busy fixing exploits allowing to make Aztecs not completely useless.

Anyway, I don't see a problem with that Shogun vassal swarm. I haven't tried it myself but I understand it makes you somewhat vulnerable and your vassals are less useful than normal vassals. They can fight each other instead of your enemies. And in MP it's easy for a human player to get a huge warscore against you by occupying your personal land.

Anyway if you want to form Japan for roleplaying reasons than know that big powerful daymos can ruin your day afterward.

If you form Japan with the huge Daimyo swarm does it all turn into Japan?

Also, what is the Aztec exploit they are obsessing over?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

probably some form of reforming off a released vassal or developed returned core or something

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
One of the adjacent countries to Aztec is Pagan which isn't banned from getting Institutions like the other American countries. So you temporarily switch Pagan, develop for Feudalism, switch back to Aztec via zealots, release the Pagan country, and continue Blossom Warring until fully reformed without having to wait for the colonizers to show up.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Munin posted:

Also, what is the Aztec exploit they are obsessing over?

There were several times when Paradox fixed some very obscure exploits that some players used with Native Americans or Aztecs etc. This is strange cause very few people play there and when they do they're really limited in what they can do anyway. Whether you are and average or a great player you'll spend a lot of time sitting there hoping Europeans show up and bring the wonders of Feudalism with them. And AI can take its time.

But in general I just jest about Paradox fixes priority. Of course in real world it might mean that dev knows exactly what causes the exploit so it takes him half an hour to fix it and test it, but what looks like a more important issue will take weeks to track and investigate so it doesn't get fixed.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

The early game as shogun probably will revolve around diplo-annexing since you at least want to be the biggest guy in the neighborhood to keep loyalty up. In the midgame you'd probably want to annex all of the japan-proper daimyo for the "own your whole culture group" mission.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Castile: We should attack the Pope! We have double their troops and their allies, Portugal and Burgundy wont join!
Also Castile: Their troops have 5.4 morale to our 4.2, what could go wrong?

Literally the best thing that could have happened to me, thanks Castile!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Detheros posted:

Castile: We should attack the Pope! We have double their troops and their allies, Portugal and Burgundy wont join!
Also Castile: Their troops have 5.4 morale to our 4.2, what could go wrong?

Literally the best thing that could have happened to me, thanks Castile!

Not sure I understand the point of annulling treaties with Portugal. With a truce timer that large, won't they just ally again by the time you can attack them without truce breaking? Unless you break Castile so hard that Portugal thinks they have a chance attacking them as well.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Spite

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

trapped mouse posted:

Not sure I understand the point of annulling treaties with Portugal. With a truce timer that large, won't they just ally again by the time you can attack them without truce breaking? Unless you break Castile so hard that Portugal thinks they have a chance attacking them as well.
In the time after the treaties are annulled, but before they are allowed to renew the treaties, either party may end up using the open diplomatic slot with a different country.

A different neighbor could attack them while they are weaker without such a strong ally.

You can also do only an annul in the peace deal and your truce with them will be shorter than their truce with the one whose treaty you just annulled. You can use this to peel Portugal out of their alliance this war (say, when they are a secondary participant and it is more expensive/punishing to take their land) so that in ~6 years or whatever you can attack them as the Primary target.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Got the burgundian inheritance as Holland.

Strat: Get enough independence support day 1 that burgundy says gently caress it and throw you out. Royal marry burgundy, ally France and electors voting for Austria. Watch as the first emperor lives to 73, get elected, declare war on burgundy and force the inheritance. The event actually fired for me within 2 months without a single casualty.

Pretty easy to replicate, and I did nothing but develop and get money/innovativeness for the first 40 years. You could conquer land but the margins for getting votes is very thin and illegal territory and AE could lose you some.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
600 IQ follow-up: I conquered all the eastern HRE provinces that go to the English Channel trade node and Liege. Caused an HRE wide coalition, allied Denmark in addition to France and bohemia. Made France give up Nevers and Denmark give up holstein without suffering a casualty of my own. Lost the AE, bought long truces with my biggest threats, weakened my future rivals. Reformed spawned, went for it once my tenure as emperor was up due to Dutch Goverment. Left the HRE to focus fire on western Europe. Now making close to 100 gold a month in like 1530.

Also had my dynasty on the French throne event when I was normal feudal, but he must have died in waiting because when I looked at France it was a Regency for a baby Valois.

Really fun campaign, I recommend it for the achievements.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Munin posted:

I presume that is getting patched though.

never, it's perfect

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

"We've designed a punishment for pudding farming endless daimyos, it's called endless daimyos."

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
the draw back is the smell of melting silicon from your cpu trying to deal with your abuse.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh man, I'm going to have to do a Qing run after the Manchu update hits, it sounds like they're fixing some of the minor issues with MoH that I had.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-27th-of-august-2019.1235540/
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/development-diary-3-of-september-2019.1239791/

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

They add and rework countries faster than I can deal with it. I am not yet done with countries reworked in Wealth of Nations!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

great news yall, No Trail of Tears has been achieved...

that's right, bangers & mash have successfully been removed from the premises

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How do you handle all the corruption in a world conquest? I have huge vassals but "too many territories" is eating me alive, even with full corruption spending and occasional clicks from the Legalism -2 corruption button. It's only 1723, seems like corruption will be through the roof pretty soon.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

India is such an insane thunderdome for the first 200 years. I've been almost permanently on 0 manpower.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

How do you handle all the corruption in a world conquest? I have huge vassals but "too many territories" is eating me alive, even with full corruption spending and occasional clicks from the Legalism -2 corruption button. It's only 1723, seems like corruption will be through the roof pretty soon.

"Too many territories" caps out at .8 corruption/year so the only growth there should be when you're over-extended after a certain point. There's a couple policies and ideas that can be taken to also reduce corruption by .1/year (Espionage idea and -Administrative/Defensive policies, Defensive-Administrative policy). Secondly, conquest in trade company and colonial nation areas means they don't count towards extra territories, slightly reducing that gained corruption while also providing you with the ducats to pay it down from production and trade.

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

Sage Grimm posted:

"Too many territories" caps out at .8 corruption/year so the only growth there should be when you're over-extended after a certain point. There's a couple policies and ideas that can be taken to also reduce corruption by .1/year (Espionage idea and -Administrative/Defensive policies, Defensive-Administrative policy). Secondly, conquest in trade company and colonial nation areas means they don't count towards extra territories, slightly reducing that gained corruption while also providing you with the ducats to pay it down from production and trade.

Doesn't that second point only apply if you're a European?

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

pointsofdata posted:

India is such an insane thunderdome for the first 200 years. I've been almost permanently on 0 manpower.

tbh that's more because it's a hellscape of attrition jungles

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

jwalrus posted:

European gets access to all trade companies, yes. It's only if your capital is in the same continent as those places will they be considered normal: An African capital would still consider Asia territories as trade companies and vice versa.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

jwalrus posted:

Always move your capital to Europe. It's dumbo dumb, but mechanically a no-brainer.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

does the australia trick still work

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Yep, it's continental tag is Oceania!

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

oddium posted:

does the australia trick still work

The Australia Trick?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Presumably moving your capital to Oceania to gain access to asian and African trade companies.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

That's one of the main reasons the corruption changes got so many complaints: by far the optimal WC strategy was already to get your capital in Europe (although they made that harder separately) and conquer all the TC land first -- now it's just "even more" optimal.

At least if you're already capped you don't have to think about it anymore.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sage Grimm posted:

Thanks, I had no idea the penalty capped out. That's not so bad. I shouldn't have created gigantic marches that will take 60 years to annex, but I guess there's always next WC! :v:

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I haven't done a WC myself so I can't say this with 100% confidence but I'm pretty sure land controlled by vassals/marches/subjects counts toward a World Conquest.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It does! To distinguish a WC that is purely your country (because that's harder to accomplish and thus more "prestigious") the players tend to call it a One Tag. There is no achievement for this.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The only bearable WC is Austria-HRE cheese and feeding vassals endlessly until you hit the magic button and instantly gain the entire world under your control. Then quit and never do it again because it's still really boring.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Japanese daimyo mechanics are easier than the HRE to cheese but I wouldn't be surprised if the Manchu patch changed this.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Sage Grimm posted:

It does! To distinguish a WC that is purely your country (because that's harder to accomplish and thus more "prestigious") the players tend to call it a One Tag. There is no achievement for this.

this is still second tier to the True One Tag, where you have your capital in a colonial region so colonial nations never form

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Welp, my 5-year-old son has watched me play a little now and then, and is now developing a strong interest in staring at maps. Identifying countries, flags, capital cities, etc.

Also he got one wrong answer on an informal quiz because he thought the biggest country in the world was Austria. So it goes.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Groke posted:

Also he got one wrong answer on an informal quiz because he thought the biggest country in the world was Austria. So it goes.

:sever:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Well, it's my fault, really, for reasons that should be obvious.