Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

hooman posted:

It's kind of sad that notable bigot Jacqui Lambie is one of the better members of parliament.

eh, I always considered her to be a pretty good representation of the average Australian. Bigoted and a bit dim but not deliberately malicious. The racism comes more from ignorance as opposed to the white supremacist beliefs of the libs and ON. Lambie isn't the one cackling about pacific islands sinking into the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
A Greens bill to establish a federal anti-corruption commission has passed the Senate with the backing of Labor and the minor parties, piling pressure on the Coalition to support the proposal.

In a tight vote in the Senate on Monday, the Greens were able to secure enough support for the bill to pass after One Nation’s two senators abstained.

The legislation passed 35 votes to 32, with Cory Bernardi siding with the government, and Labor, Centre Alliance and Jacqui Lambie joining the Greens.

some actually good news

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hanson abstained on anti-corruption? I thought toting taking down the larger parties would be right up her alley, except for the recent expose on her parties operating procedure I suppose.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
To paraphrase the note made in the grauniad liveblog, the Government controls the agenda in the house so that bill can be delayed indefinitely while Hanson doesn't have to be seen voting against keeping the Government honest

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

bandaid.friend posted:

Lambie's statement on drug testing is decent

shes only saying it because she likes to get high. notice her go to for government money on drugs is first abc journalists then pensioners, veterans and teachers but never politicians. i'd suspect shes purposefully trying to normalize the idea of drug testing abc journalists. anyway one person with some swabs, drug testing kits and access to the parliament house bathrooms closest to politicians offices would find a bunch of poo poo just wiping down countertops

Cartoon posted:

Well except the bit where he says "We've been adapting to a changing climate since we settled this country" Why not have a bit of climate denial thrown on the pyre at this point? Also Aw truups thrown in for good measure.

yeah hes a total fuckhead

journalist: with respect minister you didnt answer the question

rear end in a top hat littleprod: duuuuur yes i did

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

nankeen posted:

just a reminder, making welfare excruciating to live on is deliberate and the aim is to get people off welfare and into the military

there's no second step. destroying welfare is both the means and the end.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Venomous posted:

So considering that no Australian PM's lasted a whole term since Howard, is it fair to assume that Dutton will coup Morrison somewhere along the line?

Nope, Morrison is in until the next election at least, and probably beyond. He saved them in the hopeless election that had Libs resigning since they saw defeat as inevitable.

Polls won't spook the Libs now unless they get absurdly bad, and there isn't a strong opposition putting pressure on Morrison.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

shes only saying it because she likes to get high. notice her go to for government money on drugs is first abc journalists then pensioners, veterans and teachers but never politicians. i'd suspect shes purposefully trying to normalize the idea of drug testing abc journalists. anyway one person with some swabs, drug testing kits and access to the parliament house bathrooms closest to politicians offices would find a bunch of poo poo just wiping down countertops

She did mention this

quote:

The fact the government wants to throw drug tests at everybody but themselves shows plain as day what the real agenda is. It’s one rule for them, one for everyone else. They don’t want a breathalyser at the chamber doors after those long dinner breaks where half of them get on the sauce.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

starkebn posted:

As if the nicotine industry would let our government stop it's biggest demographic from smoking

Probably solved. There's already a fine balance between the price of a pack of smokes and the absolute maximum a pensioner can just afford.

Big supers already know they are going to do their shop at Aldi so tobacco is where they make it up.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Employers are urging independent senator Jacqui Lambie to support the government's union-busting legislation, regardless of whether John Setka resigns - saying the bill is "not about" the controversial CFMMEU Victorian construction branch secretary.

Senator Lambie has cemented her position this week that she will only support the industrial relations bill if Setka steps down as secretary of the union's Victorian construction division, urging him to resign for the sake of the 1.4 million union members who will be affected.

"You are doing more damage than good and it is time for you to go," Senator Lambie declared.

Australian Council of Trade Unions secretary Sally McManus is understood to be continuing to lobby Setka to stand down for the sake of the union movement, sparking employer fears that the bill - which would make it easier to deregister law-breaking unions and ban officials - may be defeated.

The Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry asked Senator Lambie to consider the wider problems of union corruption and workplace law breaches, including bullying on construction sites, arguing that the bill was needed to stop misconduct.

"Mr Setka is involved in a small proportion of the adverse [Federal Court] findings against the union," ACCI workplace relations adviser Scott Barklamb said.

"The bill is not ... in response to the conduct of any one individual or any one union."

Mr Barklamb said the reform was needed to tackle widespread union "lawlessness" uncovered by the 2016 trade union royal commission.

Master Builders Australia chief executive Denita Wawn said the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union had breached industrial laws 2164 times since 2004, with only 22 of the breaches committed by Setka.

"Calls for him to be gone from the union are entirely justified but he's just the tip of the iceberg," Ms Wawn said.

"The CFMMEU is harbouring many more John Setkas and since September 2017 there have been 80 Federal Court judgments against union officials, twelve of those against multiple repeat offenders."

Union leaders and Labor MPs are worried about the bill's impact on low-paid workers in sectors such as nursing and disability care to campaign for better wages and conditions.

Labor's industrial relations spokesman Tony Burke, who is personally lobbying Senator Lambie to oppose the bill, said Mr Setka must decide "whether or not he thinks he is bigger than the rest of the union movement".

"There are a whole lot of workers ... with a lot at stake here," Mr Burke said.

"But I am not encouraging Jacqui Lambie to vote for these reasons; I want her to oppose the bill because on merit it's a bad piece of legislation."

The Federal Court has described the CFMMEU - which paid out more than $4 million in fines for breaching workplace laws last financial year - as "the most recidivist corporate offender in Australian history".

The union's NSW construction division made headlines in June when its second most powerful official was arrested and charged with buying cocaine from two other officials who were allegedly dealing drugs from a union car in Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Former High Court judge Dyson Heydon's trade union royal commission report said a number of unions had committed "widespread misconduct ... in every polity in Australia except for the Northern Territory".

Former HSU Secretary Kathy Jackson will face court in October over alleged misappropriation of more than $1 million of union member funds, in a criminal trial that will coincide with the report of the Senate inquiry into the Ensuring Integrity Bill - and the likely timing of a Senate vote.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So great to have every bill resting on Jackie Lambie's decisions

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol that Labor’s response to a union busting bill is to try and convince a union leader to resign

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

We are so hosed my dudes

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

anyway one person with some swabs, drug testing kits and access to the parliament house bathrooms closest to politicians offices would find a bunch of poo poo just wiping down countertops

Oh we’ve finally found a use for that pathetic scrote Chris uhlmann

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Hungry Jacks is facing RAFFWU.

SDA's defence is interesting - 'our workers are too dumb to understand the agreement but smart enough to agree to it anyway'?

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
fire! fire! fire! fire

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

nankeen posted:

fire! fire! fire! fire

im alan jones
Feb 1, 2009

the muhammad ali of radio

lmfao

https://twitter.com/samanthamaiden/status/1171187700130467840?s=21

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Zenithe posted:

She did mention this

ha ha fair enuff

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Scomo bribes the boomers with lies
Palmer scares the boomers with lies
Shorten liberates the boomers with death

Biiiiiiiiiiiiiillllllllll

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Dav he's already dead, let it go.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

No bill is alive

See?

See?!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hollandia posted:

Dav he's already dead, let it go.

Honestly just lmao if you think he's given up that easily and doesn't want to be leader again.

That's not to say it will happen, just that I wouldn't be writing him off as buried just yet.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hollandia posted:

Hungry Jacks is facing RAFFWU.

SDA's defence is interesting - 'our workers are too dumb to understand the agreement but smart enough to agree to it anyway'?

I am so glad a union like RAFFWU exists now.

How many millions of people work in service jobs? How long did they only have "representation" by SDA?

Finally the most exploited work force has someone to stand up for them.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

He will grow a beard and save us.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Whitlam posted:

Honestly just lmao if you think he's given up that easily and doesn't want to be leader again.

That's not to say it will happen, just that I wouldn't be writing him off as buried just yet.

I just want Anidav to relax lol

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I won't relax, this wasn't supposed to happen.

The timeline has been corrupted.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Hollandia posted:

I just want Anidav to relax lol

He's dead, Jim Dav.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Albo is backing the governnent bill that puts vegans on the terror watchlist or whatever the gently caress

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts
e: too late

Graic Gabtar fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 10, 2019

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland's police commissioner Katrina Carroll said the Queensland fires are not due to climate change but due to Queensland arsonists which police are investigating.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can't believe* we are last in the OCD for economic performance

*actually can believe it

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Anthony "we're in the post election review phase so we'll just rubber stamp any policy" Albanese, Labor President For Life

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

bell jar posted:

Anthony "we're in the post election review phase so we'll just rubber stamp any policy" Albanese, Labor President For Life

At least he is living up to the ALPs true purpose. Being a loving doormat for the tory fucks in charge.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

Anidav posted:

Queensland's police commissioner Katrina Carroll said the Queensland fires are not due to climate change but due to Queensland arsonists which police are investigating.

What the gently caress is the point of this statement?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

trunkh posted:

We don't want farmers, to start panicking and considering the environmental impacts of human activity.

It was no good teenage firebugs.

Who all lit fires.

In the same week.

Some how.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

I won't relax, this wasn't supposed to happen.

The timeline has been corrupted.

Biiiiiillllll

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

trunkh posted:

Editor - "which articles can we insert anti-climate change sentiment into today?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Anidav posted:

We don't want farmers, to start panicking and considering the environmental impacts of human activity.

It was no good teenage firebugs.

Who all lit fires.

In the same week.

Some how.

The one who lit the fire in my town is a boomer.

Report said he decided to try backbiting during a total fire ban.