Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

It's not fascism when BoJo is enacting the Divine Will of the People through His Personal Mandate to crush the traitors within.

Oh ...

Edit: 2013/142/EU: are recommendations to make sure the European Parliament is a more democratic institution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Can...can they make the Queen PM?

I think trying that had something to do with the civil war.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

I think trying that had something to do with the civil war.

If the Queen tried it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jedit posted:

If the Queen tried it.
She's the compromise caretaker PM liberals are crying out for.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

VideoGames posted:

What on earth is going on.

UKMT June 2016 to the inevitable heat death of the universe - What on earth is going on

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Pretty sure the French set the precedent for what to do when someone decides parliament isn't sovereign

And the Russians perfected it. Run to the winter palace Liz! It'll do you no good!

Eschenique fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 9, 2019

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I'm sure there's a brexit or Johnson metaphor here somewhere:

quote:

Sulfur-breathing creatures that feed on fool’s gold in caves have been found thousands of feet below the earth’s surface - a discovery which scientists say has the potential to unlock the secrets of how life began on earth and how it might survive on other planets.

Life has continued to thrive in the cave and others like it despite being sealed off from the world in a state of never-ending darkness.

In particular, Pyrite, known as fool’s gold, was found to be sustaining the life forms - which have evolved to not require oxygen or sunlight.

“It's a fascinating system where the organisms are literally eating fool's gold to survive"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/deep-cave-microbe-kidd-mine-university-toronto-aliens-evolution-a9097341.html

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jedit posted:

If the Queen tried it.
Wouldn't the Queen Minister have to enter the House of Commons to address Parliament? That's something that constitutionally she can't do. I don't think it's written anywhere but the last one that tried it was Charles I.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is there a rule that says the prime minister can't just yell through the door?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

bump_fn posted:

what’s the way you could challenge bojo ignoring / misconstruing the law? take him to court?

Based on assorted Barristers comments on this

1) Court order compelling him to obey the law or be found in contempt of court

2) Being arrested and charged with Misconduct in public office contrary to section 1(1) of the Criminal Law Act 1977 (and everyone encouraging him to do would be open to conspiracy charges for the above)

3) Not that it would stop him, but he'd also be open to a civil tort for misfeasance in a public office, damages for which would have to be assessed inline with the harm every part of the UK experienced because of that misfeasance. So bankruptcy.

PST fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Sep 9, 2019

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot of options, essentially, but like all politics what matters is whether people are willing to pursue them, because I'm not sure if you can make a political system that works against the desires of all its constituent components.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Is the meeting on the 18th the only chance we get to ask for an extension?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

notaspy posted:

He can send an email anytime he wants up until the deadline. But the act passed requires him to do it by the 18th in the event of, etc.

And as he's proroguing, he can't have an acceptable deal to parliament passed by then (not that he was trying to) so he has to do it on the 18th (or before).

PST fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Sep 9, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a rule that says the prime minister can't just yell through the door?
The Commons sits in the Palace of Westminster and the Queen Minister and Sinn Fein MPs sit in O'Connor's Pub in Leicester Square communicating with them by Skype.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Following the age-old template of just deciding to ignore convention and see what happens, hoping that nobody has the balls to stand up to it. Emergency powers no doubt on the horizon. No doubt he thinks he's loving Caesar or something.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

Nice piece of fish posted:

Ol' Boris didn't really handle his defeat very graciously did he? Now he's wanting to be in open defiance of parliament? How's that going to pan out?

John McDonnell hosting a civil war reenactment day immediately after Parliament closes.

https://youtu.be/jvhDQcfN-3c

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Boris Johnson is a loving moron, I think this threat to ignore the law is just some ridiculous gambit to try and get MPs to vote for an election at the cost of dignity, intelligence and reputation.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Turns out that that 19th century gentlemen's handshake doesn't actually prevent people from going hog wild on the law.

Who could have seen it coming?

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1171034427528343556

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Sanitary Naptime posted:

Haha oh my, sure thing well let you know when that ones coming.

We reckon it’ll be fairly quiet and we’re recording tomorrow night tbh, can’t see many more big resignations or massive developments in case everything goes tits up and we get a badly timed election through magic.

Worst case scenario we end up recording two episodes this week :v:

Adding to the chorus of people really enjoying the podcast.

One thing that struck me when you were reading that idiot's article in the first episode - it seemed like none of you had heard of Eliezer Yudkowsky. You owe it to yourself to read up a bit, particularly if you plan to do a Cummings ep at some point, the story is wild. It involves an atheist cult, a Harry Potter fanfic, and a volcano lair full of catgirls, among other things.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

notaspy posted:

No, but any other would require an emergency session.

Here's a fun thought: an emergency vote to amend the Benn Bill to invest plenipotentiary powers in an individual who will then ask for an extension on the PM's behalf. Honestly this should have been done in the first place, but nobody seriously considered that Boris would set himself above the law.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

I think the Sun's cartoonist got a headstart on this

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Goddamn look at that strong BoJo chin and muscular face.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jedit posted:

No, but any other would require an emergency session.

Here's a fun thought: an emergency vote to amend the Benn Bill to invest plenipotentiary powers in an individual who will then ask for an extension on the PM's behalf. Honestly this should have been done in the first place, but nobody seriously considered that Boris would set himself above the law.

I mean, it wouldn't have passed originally, but it doesn't seem like a bad idea now

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

Wolfsbane posted:

It involves an atheist cult

An atheist cult that logics their way into being terrified of a wrathful god and reinventing Pascal's wager, no less!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Flayer posted:

Boris Johnson is a loving moron, I think this threat to ignore the law is just some ridiculous gambit to try and get MPs to vote for an election at the cost of dignity, intelligence and reputation.

Ask any American how placing your hopes in norms and institutions against the whims of a moron works out.

It doesn't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mahoning posted:

Ask any American how placing your hopes in norms and institutions against the whims of a moron works out.

It doesn't.

No see, British institutions are stronger!

PST
Jul 5, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

No see, British institutions are stronger!

I mean, having a written constitution isn't working so well for them when one branch of government is just ignoring it after all.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

lol BoJo is just trying to borrow a page from Trump's book and look alpha. I doubt it will A) work and B) that he has the balls

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Wolfsbane posted:

One thing that struck me when you were reading that idiot's article in the first episode - it seemed like none of you had heard of Eliezer Yudkowsky. You owe it to yourself to read up a bit, particularly if you plan to do a Cummings ep at some point, the story is wild. It involves an atheist cult, a Harry Potter fanfic, and a volcano lair full of catgirls, among other things.

Don't forget the Metal Snake Future AI

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Bug Squash posted:

I'm getting confused. This is the Lockerbie bombing yes? I thought it was pretty well established that was Libyan agents. Controversy existed on whether the ones brought to trial were the ones who did/ordered it though.

If there's been a major reversal in this outside conspiracy theories I'd very much appreciate a link about it.

According to the investigation report they found a piece of circuit board that was identified as part of an electronic timer. The popular conspiracy theories circle around some apparent sloppiness in evidence handling of this part and weird discrepancies like this, from the wikipedia article:

quote:

Mebo's owner, Edwin Bollier, testified at the trial that the Scottish police had originally shown him a fragment of a brown 8-ply circuit board from a prototype timer which had never been supplied to Libya. Yet the sample he was asked to identify at the trial was a green 9-ply circuit board that Mebo had indeed supplied to Libya. Bollier wanted to pursue this discrepancy, but was told by trial judge Lord Sutherland that he could not do so.[[57]]

and

quote:

On 18 July 2007, Ulrich Lumpert admitted he had lied at the trial.[[59]]In an affidavit before a Zurich notary public, Lumpert stated that he had stolen a prototype MST-13 printed circuit board from Mebo and gave it without permission on 22 June 1989, to "an official person investigating the Lockerbie case".[60] Dr Hans Köchler, a UN observer at the Lockerbie trial who received a copy of Lumpert's affidavit, said: "The Scottish authorities are now obliged to investigate this situation. Not only has Mr Lumpert admitted to stealing a sample of the timer, but to the fact he gave it to an official and then lied in court."

The most interesting Lockerbie conspiracy theory is a minority opinion arguing there wasn't a bomb explosion at all. According to this theory the cargo door failed mid flight, causing an instant depressurization event collapsing the adjacent passenger deck floor and forward bulkhead, leading to center fuel tank explosion and decapitation of the front of the plane, including the bit with the upper deck and the cockpit. The door failure mode according to this theory would be identical to the one of UA 811, the one that landed in Hawaii with a big chunk of skin missing, the difference being that the UA811 was a matter of luck and less powerful depressurization event owing to a lower flight altitude. The Lockerbie and 811 incidents occurred within months of each other, and the Lockerbie flight would not have had the cargo door fixes applied that became standard after 811.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Junior G-man posted:

Turns out that that 19th century gentlemen's handshake doesn't actually prevent people from going hog wild on the law.

Who could have seen it coming?

to be fair after cameron going hog wild is basically a british pm tradition

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Boris Johnson could never look alpha because the man is a shambling mess. It was an embarrassment seeing him creeping around with Trump.

He looks like an actual clown.

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
Do you guys think Cameron calls himself a sex pig

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not that the institutions are stronger, again, it's a matter of political will. I would suggest that if boris openly defies parliament then his former MPs really have no reason not to fuckbarrel him over it. Again they already threw in their prospects under this administration so they have really no reason at all to not double down on taking a big steamy dump on boris's ambitions to be cromwell 2 (cancel christmas, gently caress ireland, definitely not the king in a different hat)

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

Do you guys think Cameron calls himself a sex pig

Incredible Porker

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

We're back at
Is a greater breach of decorum for the PM to ignore parliament or is a greater breach of decorum to jail the PM

Probably the latter, parliament will shut up and take it before they impose real consequences on a fellow etonian

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Flayer posted:

Boris Johnson could never look alpha because the man is a shambling mess. It was an embarrassment seeing him creeping around with Trump.

He looks like an actual clown.

It's amazing that this guy manages to make Donald Trump look like an elder statesman.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

Wolfsbane posted:

Thanks pal! :)

drat, that sounds fuckin lmao, perhaps a bonus episode down the line with a deep dive on Cummings is in order. We’ve got so much we want to do and so little fuckin time, but I’ll file that away on the back burner because lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So after today are we just going out be in limbo for a month, waiting to see what last minute nonsense Johnson pulls to get out of this?