Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
That is a very good Mana Leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I wonder if we're gonna get another series of color self-hosers like the Defeats or the Theros cycle.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Mr. Locke posted:

I wonder if we're gonna get another series of color self-hosers like the Defeats or the Theros cycle.

No idea what the red one could be, Murder with a discount against black targets would be good.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

BizarroAzrael posted:

No idea what the red one could be, Murder with a discount against black targets would be good.

it'll probably look like Chandra's Defeat or Fry

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BizarroAzrael posted:

Mood Blade

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

This is phenomenal.

Also they are really killing it with the flavor in this set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Once Upon a Time is pretty neat

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

first turn arclight with that, if you wanted to

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I like how the art for Return to Nature is Cinderella's carriage

E: actually this batch is straight up Cinderella's story, huh

Elyv fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Sep 9, 2019

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I love Once Upon a Time. I would have figured a Fairy Godmother would be more pwnage than a 1/1 flyer.

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
Would you be able to cast once upon a time on turn 1 or would you need to have enough resources to possibly cast it before being able to do it for free?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You don't need anything to pay no mana for something.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

This is phenomenal.

If blue is "Counter target spell" can you make it 1UU? It's free cost is narrow for Standard and we've seen strictly better Cancel be playable a hundred times.

It probably has to be a 1UU negate, though. Catching aggro's one-drop from the draw for no mana is probably too good even for Standard.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
Transforming the pumpkin back and forth to a carriage is great, but the juxtaposition with Turn Into a Pumpkin is odd. Are you turning actual living knights into a pumpkin? They can come back later, but you get to keep the pumpkin if you used enough blue mana.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Someone find the edge case where the draw player being able to play it on their opponent's first turn somehow matters.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I can't decide if this is great or awful in Infect, it's probably bad but nice that it can potentially get all of your infectors.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

resistentialism posted:

Someone find the edge case where the draw player being able to play it on their opponent's first turn somehow matters.

It probably has to do with finding Spirit Guide.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Making Magic article is a great read.

- There was originally just a Camelot set, but Magic's done High Fantasy so often. Playtesters didn't even notice they were playing a Camelot set because they just had a Knights deck, and Knights are everywhere in Magic. The average person also can't name more than about a dozen things to do with Camelot's stories. The Fairy Tale set combining with it gave the Knights something to fight.

- These cards make up the Cinderella story. Read the article, it's really neat. They experimented with a lot of key points of the story making it into cards, so even though he didn't say it, there's lots of material for a Return to Eldraine set.

- There's lots of overlap between fairy tales, like most stories have a handsome prince, the Big Bad Wolf is in Red Riding Hood and also The Three Little Pigs, etc. That made it easier to make cards that satisfy multiple stories, because you can have one card represent multiple fairy tale tropes. Rumpelstiltskin and the spinning wheel are mentioned, so it's likely he's getting a card. Other things mentioned are the Black Knight, the cow that got traded for magic beans, and of course the Gingerbread Man.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

drainpipe posted:

Would you be able to cast once upon a time on turn 1 or would you need to have enough resources to possibly cast it before being able to do it for free?

There's a little bit of "when should I cast the spell" because you don't always want to slam it right away, if you don't have 1-drops you want to cast on turn one

You might draw running lands turn one and two, and now when you cast it as your first spell of the game on Turn 2, you know that you're fishing for a creature instead of a land.

resistentialism posted:

Plays around Force of Negation

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Cactrot posted:

I can't decide if this is great or awful in Infect, it's probably bad but nice that it can potentially get all of your infectors.

Same with bogles. Like, having your turn one play is so crucial, but is it worth having a nearly dead card in your hand in multiples? Can't wait to play it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It also makes the dumb rider deck more consistent if that matter.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Can't you just slot this in as copies 5-8 of any creature combo piece? So long as you're trying to go off fast.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
My first thought with Once Upon a Time is amulet titan. Finding your Azusas and Prime Times as well as lands seems amazing.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

It also makes the dumb rider deck more consistent if that matter.

Not really. You don't really have room in the deck for any more cards and you would probably try to play eladamris call before this.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

It can't be somehow more efficient in tron. Right? RIGHT?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

- There was originally just a Camelot set, but Magic's done High Fantasy so often. Playtesters didn't even notice they were playing a Camelot set because they just had a Knights deck, and Knights are everywhere in Magic. The average person also can't name more than about a dozen things to do with Camelot's stories. The Fairy Tale set combining with it gave the Knights something to fight.

- These cards make up the Cinderella story. Read the article, it's really neat. They experimented with a lot of key points of the story making it into cards, so even though he didn't say it, there's lots of material for a Return to Eldraine set.

- There's lots of overlap between fairy tales, like most stories have a handsome prince, the Big Bad Wolf is in Red Riding Hood and also The Three Little Pigs, etc. That made it easier to make cards that satisfy multiple stories, because you can have one card represent multiple fairy tale tropes. Rumpelstiltskin and the spinning wheel are mentioned, so it's likely he's getting a card. Other things mentioned are the Black Knight, the cow that got traded for magic beans, and of course the Gingerbread Man.

I know that Maro likes to be build himself up as the hero who gave us what we wanted, but who are these goofs who kept shooting down Fairy Tale Plane but thought Arthurian legend was actually loving interesting, and when are they all going to be fired?

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

It can't be somehow more efficient in tron. Right? RIGHT?

There are like 8 creatures in Tron. Cycling stars has got to be way better.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

My first thought with Once Upon a Time is amulet titan. Finding your Azusas and Prime Times as well as lands seems amazing.

I had a similar thought for Valakut, which already has a couple of ramp spell flex spots. But it seems like it should be run as a four-of even though it might be worse than a ramp spell after turn 1.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lone Goat posted:

I know that Maro likes to be build himself up as the hero who gave us what we wanted, but who are these goofs who kept shooting down Fairy Tale Plane but thought Arthurian legend was actually loving interesting, and when are they all going to be fired?

there are real people walking around among us who hate the existence of the card noggin whack because it's Too Silly

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

There are like 8 creatures in Tron. Cycling stars has got to be way better.

"OR LAND"

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

This is the best idea for it that I've heard but it sounds really good

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

I always assumed MaRo gets whatever he wants eventually. Who in the pitch room was going to like, off-handedly slide HIS entire premise into the trash can based on a 2-3 minute presentation.

"What if we just knock off a bunch of Disney movies but with names like, Alsa, the Frigid Queen or whatever," is pretty much all any sensible room should have needed to hear.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

You're going to play Sylvan scrying and ancient stirrings before this and you probably still need eggs so that you can make mana for those cards as consistently as possible. I can read the card, if you hit only lands then it's really bad.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Maybe it's meant to be a drop in replacement if they ban ancient stirrings?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

fadam posted:

I love Once Upon a Time. I would have figured a Fairy Godmother would be more pwnage than a 1/1 flyer.

You need to wait for the mythic Fairy Mother reveal.

Legendary Creature - God

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

LifeLynx posted:

They talked about this in the Twitch stream last week. After Maro submitted the gingerbread Man he was told "Alright, this is too silly for the set, we'll allow this one but no more."

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

This is very good

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

My dream is that one of these goofy cards gets pushed as hell and ends up being a multi-format staple. Imagine if the names/art for Bake Into a Pie and Assassin’s Trophy flipped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Elyv posted:

This is very good

Holy gently caress.