Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

You know there's a thread in ADTRW about Magical Girls right? That might be a better place to take this discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Mulva posted:

Yeah but people want a game that's actually good at dealing with that theme.

e: Fundamentally your skill set is too high and your opposition actually doesn't care about literally every bad thing out, so you eventually have to deal with the question of "Why are there still Vampires in a world where Mages exist?", and replace Vampires with literally anything the Exarchs aren't personally invested in perpetuating. And the only reasonable answer is they don't give a poo poo about dealing with those things. Maybe some particular Mage does, but then that's not a widespread push to rescue humanity. Which of course is not what Mage society is about, and it never has been. Which is why it's not the greatest game to do Hunter or Princess or any other "You are stuck in in the CoD with everything else: Now deal with it" centered game.

From the point of view of a mage, there is pretty much no point. It's not that vampires are the worst thing that abuses humanity – the Exarchs, followed by the God-Machine, leave little competition. You could even argue their presence may be beneficial in the long run, as an encounter with them could theoretically provide the push for someone to Awaken.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Also I think trying to convince mages that vampires (or whatever) are the real baddies is going to cause a lot of pulled collars and yikes faces. Mages are like a 1/4 chance of being as dangerous if not more so to humans as the average vampire. Consider paradox, abyssal summonings, casual hubris, left handed paths, and so on. Vampires on the whole are a net negative for humanity but I think you'd have a hard time convincing mage society, which tends to run a bit in the navel gazing direction, that they all deserve to die.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mendrian posted:

Also I think trying to convince mages that vampires (or whatever) are the real baddies is going to cause a lot of pulled collars and yikes faces. Mages are like a 1/4 chance of being as dangerous if not more so to humans as the average vampire. Consider paradox, abyssal summonings, casual hubris, left handed paths, and so on. Vampires on the whole are a net negative for humanity but I think you'd have a hard time convincing mage society, which tends to run a bit in the navel gazing direction, that they all deserve to die.

Hey now, let's not be too harsh on the vampires. They bring one immense benefit to humanity that no other supernatural force provides.

They act as hate sinks for the Strix. An act that typically keeps them from directly loving with humanity on a larger level. :v:

Edit: To be serious though, I feel like a low wisdom mage might be able to talk themselves into going after vampires while avoiding a "Hans, am I the baddy?" moment. It does seem like it'd mostly be a local effort though.

Of course if a mage is willing to go after vampires then this also begs the question of why they wouldn't inevitably just go full on Punisher meets banisher against other mages too. Since like you said --- they're way more dangerous to your average person when matched up against some bloodsucker that usually just wants to keep existing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Sep 9, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Why does it need to be a big noble Crusade thing? Just play a mage who thinks Vampires are bad in a pretty general abstract way, and just spends a spare weekend here and there exterminating then with his power.

Just kind like you and your buddies going deer hunting a few weekends out of the year.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

Mendrian posted:

It's not much of a contest between your average Mage and average Vampire. Your average Mage, at worst, is Constantine, which'll maybe provoke some issues, but they're still not an aristocratic parasite. But on a broader scale, Mages are probably responsible for the most near-misses with various apocalypses.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol aristocratic parasite

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

I’m back, I want to thank you all for the advice, I won’t be returning to that group until things change. I feel like perhaps I can contribute to the discourse!

Taking a macro, broad stroke approach to whether or not vampires or mages are better or worse for Humanity is not very helpful. It is entirely based on an individual basis. Some vampires are great with Humans, or want to protect Humans. They might feed on them but many go out of their way from killing them. Of course there are bad examples of them out there, but the exact same thing can be said of Mages.

Neither or better or worse than the other unless they explicitly decide to be.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I feel like any amount of predation, even from a Humanity 10 Salubri or whatever, still imposes a cost upon the mortal population that you just don't see from a Mage. Granted, the mage might instead unleash a Nightmare Monster from Beyond Hell's Horizon, but on a case by case basis I think Mages would inflict less deliberate violence than your average vamp.

Granted, you can do a lot with the metaphysical ramifications of feeding to change that. Jhonen Vasquez had this idea in one of his earlier comics (the one about being a serial killer?) where some people act as a "sewer" where they are the end point for all of humanity's negativity, if you had humans feeding mostly on negativity with blood as a carrier medium, that would tilt the moral scales a bit more.

Like, maybe the Kiss is an ecstatic feeling because you're getting the evil squeezed from your psychic anal glands. Vampires then can only feed on those who deserve it, and the subjects subconsciously seek out this kind of release. A blood tithe little different than a catholic indulgence.

Anyway, that's why I think equating feeding with sex is a boring cop out, it could be weirder.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The moral choices you go through with feeding can be fascinating, too. Greg Stole wrote the first Reqiuem novel, and the main character noted that to make sure she kept feeling like a 'good' person that at first she only fed on people she thought of as bad. The ones she saw being abusive, or hateful, or even just jerks. Then that went awry when she lost it and drank one of them dry and felt horrible about herself so then she only picked people she liked because she thought it would encourage her not to drain people to a husk and I believe this worked until it didn't.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

It feels weirdly liberating to be not attached to an awful DM either, really having an open kind of communication with your entire group is so nice. Especially if they understand my point of view. The DM was getting desperate to keep me attached to the campaign, he apologized profusely in front of the group offered me his unlimited pasta pass as a sign of goodwill while we were pregaming at Olive Garden. While I think the prospect of delicious breadsticks and pasta was appealing and I appreciated the goodwill gesture, I had my own mental health to worry about. Thank you all for the help!

Is tabletop in Discord any good? I imagine quality of gameplay is more all over the place.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Apologies for the double post, but I should add my take on mages and vampires being entirely on an individual basis is not based on any reading. I’ve only done tabletop which is explicitly a player driven medium.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
I get the impressions that earlier systems had intended much more time to be spent on the role play of feeding, but I guess player groups breezed over it so much V5 has abstracted it to a single roll more or less? Interesting how the audience shapes the designer's vision.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Naoto Shirogane posted:

Is tabletop in Discord any good? I imagine quality of gameplay is more all over the place.

Yeah my group uses discord for voice and roll20 for the dice and it works wonderfully

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I get the impressions that earlier systems had intended much more time to be spent on the role play of feeding, but I guess player groups breezed over it so much V5 has abstracted it to a single roll more or less? Interesting how the audience shapes the designer's vision.

Feeding takes many rolls if you don't have a herd

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Pretty much all my gaming is over Discord. There's good dicebots for it, and chat or pure-text asynchronous play for a PBP-like experience are both doable real easily.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I'm running one and playing in another game through Discord and it works great. My biggest struggle has been not being able to use facial expressions and body language to emote, so I've had to work on getting more expressive with my voice. That's been a fun challenge.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Naoto Shirogane posted:

All platforms have pros and cons, I'm pretty much exclusivly play by post since I work evenings and weekends and my gaming friends are scattered all over the world. So basically, we just make private facebook groups for our games and run them through there.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off for Brujah or playing a hoodie-wearing Nos is extremely fun when everyone skypes and acts the part. Helps you get into character

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Blitz7x posted:

Wearing a t-shirt with the sleeves cut off for Brujah or playing a hoodie-wearing Nos is extremely fun when everyone skypes and acts the part. Helps you get into character

Play a Hollow Mekhet by pointing a camera at an empty chair, having no mic and communicating entirely in text.

e: occasionally step on camera and use your mic to represent your reflection loving around with you and everyone else

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 9, 2019

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Play a country singer toreador in jorts at bulge level for the camera

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I think WoD games work well with just Discord because you don't need a live map for combat. I've been running a V5 game since April on Discord with no problems. I do use an outside app for relationship mapping and putting down points of interest in the city.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mors Rattus posted:

Play a Hollow Mekhet by pointing a camera at an empty chair, having no mic and communicating entirely in text.

e: occasionally step on camera and use your mic to represent your reflection loving around with you and everyone else

Holy poo poo this is an amazing idea.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

GimpInBlack posted:

Holy poo poo this is an amazing idea.

It always sticks with me because one of my favorite details from Clanbook Mekhet was the author remembering that Frances can't use phones because her voice doesn't show up on recordings.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

Every table I've been a part of has done some mix of abstracted rolls and very personal asides. It depends on the pace of the story. Of course I don't advocate for running the game as a vampire simulator so I maintain it's not always appropriate to run long feeding scenes that almost never directly involve other player characters but it's nice about a half or quarter of the time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I loving Love the Mekhet, and it'S 100% because of their clanbook.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I exclusively run text TTRPGs over Discord and it's a great experience. You can be super choosy about who you play with in ways you might not be able to IRL, like I can go pick out a totally LGBT crew and know they're all solid.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
I don't recommend trying to actually play out feeding because it runs you head-long into the problem of how the gently caress the masquerade works for people who don't either subsist off animals or have three dots of Dominate.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

MonsieurChoc posted:

I loving Love the Mekhet, and it'S 100% because of their clanbook.

I love them for their original clan logo which featured a sun, moon, spider's web, and hourglass all together.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

I don't recommend trying to actually play out feeding because it runs you head-long into the problem of how the gently caress the masquerade works for people who don't either subsist off animals or have three dots of Dominate.

Eh, the Geek and Sundry V5 game I've been watching handles feeding pretty well, although I feel like they spend a ton of time on feeding scenes when they could be moving poo poo along.

But I also find their storyteller kinda dry in general so there's that too.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Gobbeldygook posted:

......... feeding is an important part of being a vampire

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Gobbeldygook posted:

Agreed but the opposite. V5 asks you to base your vamp’s personality around their feeding habits. Sure it generally ends up being a solo scene but they’re usually relatively short and can be fun character-building moments (recently my atheist hedonist Toreador DJ has been going to a church group early and “confessing their sins” to the pastor). Plus, if you’re cultivating resonance you can get some RP bonuses for not just breezing over the neck drinky part.

The game is called Vampire the Masquerade, it’s in the title, it’s like playing Dungeons and Dragons but skipping the dungeon to just get to the loot at the end

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 9, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Okay, so I got some confirmation from DriveThru about the new PDFs:

1) These are the PDFs they got from Paradox.
2) There aren't going to be any more.
3) They didn't send any PoD files, so these books won't go PoD.
4) There are no plans to go back to any of the existing books and fix the full-bleed issue.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Feeding is...an important part of the vampire experience. If it goes well yeah it tends to be filler but if it goes poorly? It’s a very interesting moment for character growth that leads to conflict or even the forming of a new touchstone or stain depending on how it goes.

I disagree with the idea of cutting it out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Metapod posted:

......... feeding is an important part of being a vampire

Eating is an important part of being a human, but it's also boring AF to watch other people do.

GNU Order posted:

Agreed but the opposite. V5 asks you to base your vamp’s personality around their feeding habits.

V5 does a lot of dumb poo poo.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Alternatively feeding where there are cameras adjacent and a crack CSI team can leave your ancilla Brujah headless so ymmv

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

Eating is an important part of being a human, but it's also boring AF to watch other people do.

V5 does a lot of dumb poo poo.

¿¿¿Watching people eat and review things is a very popular genre of video have you never watch robert Dyer???

Ah its because it's a v5 mechanic not because it's a bad mechanic that you think it's bad I see

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Attention paid to feeding being a dial you can crank between "just pass this roll okay done" to "good luck formulating and executing on a winning strategy in this elaborate multi-character scene I've set up for you (OPTIONAL: and by the by I've riddled it with landmines that will get your character executed if you step on them)" surely dates back to VtM Revised at the very least. I don't get why people think doing one or the other represents some kind of modern game design innovation.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

It’s generally the job of the player to really embrace being what they created to make it interesting. That’s not the fault of v5 as a system, it’s the fault of the player and DM for not making the feeding scenario entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gobbeldygook posted:

Go to the Rack, hit a crowded club. Jump in a crowded dance floor, take some sips while grinding all up ons your fellow dancers. It's not super hard.

Except when it is.