Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Skinner for speaker to usher in maximum hellworld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Reveilled posted:

loving hell, the government toadies don't even do him the courtesy of applause.

The SNP got told off for clapping for some reason or other in 2015 after they got elected. It's generally frowned upon, they prefer complete loving nonsense like YARGH GARGH FLARB

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, a hung parliament like this should pick someone relatively impartial.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Non Brit here, an somebody clarify what the practical effect of Bercow resignation is?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
This sucks balls.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gove going on a weird one about holding the executive to account :/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gove stop slapping the loving table you weird fishman

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Guavanaut posted:

No way the Mogg gets elected by the House.

get used to him yelling for order while dozing on his divan

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

Gove stop slapping the loving table you weird fishman

it's gonna be him though isn't it

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I want Bercow to DM my next D&D campaign.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The speaker has to be elected by the whole house so it's going to be whoever the hell this lot can think of, which is almost certain to be some sort of "impartial" candidate given the makeup of the house.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Chris Bryant is a very early shout for the role.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

moostaffa posted:

Who's the toriest tory that could win a vote? That's who they'll pick

#moggmentum

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

OwlFancier posted:

The speaker has to be elected by the whole house so it's going to be whoever the hell this lot can think of, which is almost certain to be some sort of "impartial" candidate given the makeup of the house.

one of the ~brave 21~ then.

Sad that Bercow didn't last to see the end of brexit, but, really, neither will the rest of us

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if it gives a get out for one of the kicked out Tories. I'm not sure if any of them are suitable though.

sebzilla posted:

Chris Bryant is a very early shout for the role.

Yeah if it's a Labour MP that seems the obvious pick

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

archaeo posted:

T-34, Comrade :crossarms:

T-34 wasn’t that great. QA problems (those loving gearboxes), political interference (the original main gun was only used because one of Stalin’s appointees in charge of the artillery was mates with the designer) and some design flaws (they are pretty loving cramped inside, even for a small tank crew, because Christie suspension and sloped armour devour internal volume, and a cramped crew will not perform as well as a crew with adequate space to perform their roles) made it quite a lot more limited as a tank than it’s portrayed.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Looks like I picked a hell of a day to start drinking again

Erg portions of the tory bench have hosed off, somehats oop

Miss you bercow

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

moostaffa posted:

it'll be a centre-y centrist because that's where the bulk of the commons is at right now. it'll also be a labour mp by convention, and probably someone long-serving yet unknown and uncontroversial

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

moostaffa posted:

The (fairly recent) convention (also lol convention @ this juncture) is that the Speaker alternates between the two largest parties, so the loss of a vote alternates. So I can imagine a Labour melt or anti-Corbyn submission.

Or alternatively:

StarkingBarfish posted:

Skinner for speaker to usher in maximum hellworld

Or a CUKTIG speaker :lol:

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

coffeetable posted:

it'll be a centre-y centrist because that's where the bulk of the commons is at right now. it'll also be a labour mp by convention, and probably someone long-serving yet unknown and uncontroversial

This is hellworld, so Jess Philips.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
Chuka for speaka?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Mike Gapes is the only logical choice

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tindalos posted:

Her first act will be to tell Diane Abbott to gently caress off from the speaker's chair.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tindalos posted:

The Speaker of the House posted:

Order prostitutes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

Mike Gapes is the only logical choice

Speaker, not mewling miwker.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Does the speaker need to be an MP? Could Tweetman get in?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
the other side of being speaker is you aren't ever gonna be prime minister, so none of the MPs you see in the press are gonna go for it

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Put forward a committee of UKMT posters for speaker.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

lemonadesweetheart posted:

I believe they must be - otherwise Bercow wouldn't need to worry about reelection.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Well, if that is not the case, then call Brian Blessed asap.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

the state of these loving brainworms

even if we ignore the fact that the Speaker has to be an MP, a no-name last-place CUK Euro candidate wouldn't even make a thousand-person longlist

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Isn't convention that the party the Speaker is chosen from alternates? So Bercow was a Tory (at the start that is) and Labour are next. Of course convention is out the window now so who knows what will happen.

Seems like it could be a good opportunity for a centrist to get out with dignity though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

coffeetable posted:

Yeah a long serving quiet backbencher is usually the sort you want, and it should in theory be a labour MP this time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Comrade Fakename posted:

Isn't convention that the party the Speaker is chosen from alternates? So Bercow was a Tory (at the start that is) and Labour are next. Of course convention is out the window now so who knows what will happen.

Seems like it could be a good opportunity for a centrist to get out with dignity though.

It's convention not to prorogue parliament in times of crisis. it's convention for the PM to be bound by the rule of law.

Etc.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Comrade Fakename posted:

Hence all the jokes about Cuckold Umunna taking it.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

The (fairly recent) convention (also lol convention @ this juncture) is that the Speaker alternates between the two largest parties, so the loss of a vote alternates.

The Deputy Speaker is taken from the opposition for exactly this reason.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I'm mentioning Graham Stringer purely to rule him out.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Sir Lindsay Hoyle is the obvious Labour candidate for speaker, he's been an uncontroversial deputy speaker since 2010 and has never held any significant political position, unlike the other Labour deputy, former chief whip Rosie Winterton.

edit: if there's such a thing as a Brexiteer candidate it's surely got to be Nigel "I Voted For Swingeing Legal Aid Cuts And Then Lost My Life Savings Defending Myself" Evans, although I've no idea how the parliamentary arithmetic could possibly work for a true believer

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 9, 2019

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Comrade Fakename posted:

Kate Hoey is the new speaker and a finger on the monkeys paw curls closed...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008

HJB posted:

I'm mentioning Graham Stringer purely to rule him out.

Him being my MP, I can’t imagine anything worse.