Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

AlternateAccount posted:

Shine a flashlight on it, see if you can see things...

OP, try this. I had a 2005 vintage LCD monitor die somewhat recently, and it was only the backlight that failed. I had to move the flashlight and my head around to see the image, since LCDs designed exclusively for backlighting are incredibly faint when lit from the front, but it was there.

If it is just the backlight it may be possible to get it fixed by an independent repair shop (Apple genius bars won’t touch it anymore). If you get a quote which makes it not worthwhile to fix, use the flashlight to get into Preferences and enable screen sharing so you can remote control the thing from another Mac long enough to copy files off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

zhar posted:

My dads old imac (9 years old or so) no longer turns on. Specifically there is no picture on the display, no start up chime but I can hear some fans / the hdd spinning inside the machine. I tried resetting the SMC, is there anything else to try?

e: I did remove all peripherals

e2: I tried resetting the PRAM and there was a startup chime so perhaps it is just the lcd display?

"9 years old or so" makes it sound like it might be the GPU issue that 2009 and 2010 iMacs are somewhat notorious for. I was talking about my 2009 iMac display making GBS threads the bed the same way a couple of pages ago.

If you had screen sharing or SSH enabled, try connecting to it (or if nothing else, try pinging it). It's very possible that the computer is up and running and the display is just off. If that's the case, you can either use it as a headless computer or roll the dice and try baking the GPU in the oven to reflow the solder.

zhar
May 3, 2019

Thanks, I read your old post and similar to you he decided it was time for a new one as it was showing its age regardless. I'll try to pick up a cable to use it headless or as a second monitor though.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now that Intel quad-core CPUs have come down in price, the 13" MacBook Pro pricing really isn't that bad unless you really want a touchscreen - a 13" XPS Quad-Core with 256GB is $1299 vs $1399 for the MacBook Pro (with free Beats headphones you can sell for $100).

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have to ask because I’ve been seeing a lot of surface advertising... do people really want / use the touch screen in their laptops? Especially if it’s windows or hell even Mac OS.

They tout it as a selling point but I’m like eh really??

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I have to ask because I’ve been seeing a lot of surface advertising... do people really want / use the touch screen in their laptops? Especially if it’s windows or hell even Mac OS.

Maybe if you really like taking notes by hand or drawing? I'm helping a friend buy a new laptop (she has one of those HP B&O convertible laptops) and she said she'd prefer if the MacBook Pro had a touchscreen.

I type faster than I write, and I'd hate getting fingerprints all over my display. Moving your hands all over a 13" display seems really cumbersome - most people only use the touchscreen on their laptops for scrolling. Assuming you use gestures, the Apple touchpad seems way more comfortable to use in most cases.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

MarcusSA posted:

I like using the touch screen on my surface while reading stuff, watching videos, and doing basic web browsing (the surface is essentially a beefed up tablet), but for actual productivity I stick with the keyboard and touchpad. I wouldn't really want a touch screen for a standard form-factor laptop - my old work laptop was and I never saw a good reason for it to be.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So along with my MacBook Pro, I have an Acer Aspire R7. If you followed tech news at the time, you might remember it--it's the laptop that had a strange hinge that allowed the screen to be moved forward to float over the base, covering up the trackpad (which was moved to behind the keyboard) in the process. Here's a picture:

The screen could also be rotated around and placed nearly flat on the base, to be used for drawing with a stylus, or as a dummy thicc tablet.

It's an absolutely facinating concept and a rather striking design, in my opinion.

It also makes for an absolutely garbage use-on-your-lap laptop. For starters, it's freaking huge and surprising heavy (it's nearly five pounds), and pushing the keyboard forward to the edge makes typing awkward, unless you use the included leather palm rest (hard to do on your lap).

As a desktop replacement to be used on a desk, perhaps with a Bluetooth mouse, though, it's quite good, and the fact that the screen floats and can be moved around as needed makes the touchscreen more practical than you'd think. That said, even though the whole point of the drat thing was "practical touchscreen laptop" it's still ultimately a failure because, well, Windows 10 still isn't a great touchscreen OS, even years later.

Adding a touchscreen to an laptop, even with clever design to make touchscreen practical and even preferable to traditional mouse + trackpad, doesn't mean poo poo if it's a pain to use the touchscreen to replace those things.

On Reddit the other day, I saw a post from a user who bought a MacBook Pro with a busted screen. Instead of replacing the screen, they modified the MBP to work headless, and installed a magnetic mount for their iPad Pro where the display had been. They then installed Catalina and set up sidecar, giving them an MacBook Pro with a "display" that could be removed and used separately as a tablet. Ultimately, I think that's the coolest "touchscreen" laptop I've seen, and what I've wanted from Apple for while--an iPad with a trackpad/keyboard dock that runs MacOS when docked, a "best of both worlds" scenario.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Apple trackpads are amazing but touchscreens are also great. Only when you get used to using one do you miss it (and sometimes look stupid when you poke non touch screens).

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
I want a touchscreen MacBook because I make iOS apps for a living and using the iPhone simulator with a mouse loving sucks.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Pretty much all chromebooks are touch screen and people seem to like them, especially since some of them can run android apps. I think if MacOS was built for it then it would be a good feature.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

The Surface's competition is really the iPad Pro + keyboard, not the Macs they target in their ads.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Luceo posted:

The Surface's competition is really the iPad Pro + keyboard, not the Macs they target in their ads.

Why is this something you believe?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Because it's the truth.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iPad Pro isn't running a desktop OS, even the Surface Go is more capable than iPad Pro in terms of the laptop vs. tablet divide. If you're talking about product category, Surface Laptop and Surface Book are very clearly like traditional laptops and Surface Go is more like a Chromebook. The iPad Pro is an entirely different product. Who is cross-shopping a Surface Laptop and an iPad Pro? It just doesn't make sense.

Plenty of people cross-shop the Surface lineup and MacBook Air / Pro though.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

iPad Pro isn't running a desktop OS, even the Surface Go is more capable than iPad Pro in terms of the laptop vs. tablet divide. If you're talking about product category, Surface Laptop and Surface Book are very clearly like traditional laptops and Surface Go is more like a Chromebook. The iPad Pro is an entirely different product. Who is cross-shopping a Surface Laptop and an iPad Pro? It just doesn't make sense.

Plenty of people cross-shop the Surface lineup and MacBook Air / Pro though.

Tons of C level people are fine with just a tablet.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Matt Zerella posted:

Tons of C level people are fine with just a tablet.

"Can I do my job on a tablet" is an entirely different discussion to whether the Surface lineup is a direct competitor to the iPad Pro, which it is not.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pivo posted:

"Can I do my job on a tablet" is an entirely different discussion to whether the Surface lineup is a direct competitor to the iPad Pro, which it is not.

It is when they price it out and don't care about pedantic nerd poo poo.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hopefully there will be a Sept. 10th thread (gee good thing 9/11 is a Wednesday this year) going up somewhere.

Really looking forward to the 'new gen' 16-inch MacBook Pros with the return to the scissor keyboards.

Also hoping the pricing options for the New CheeseGraters aren't totally jaw-dropping, I've actually got clients looking forward to dropping big $$$ just to have multiple large screen Apple-made monitors again (otherwise known as the guys who kept their Apple 30-inch Cinema Displays until they literally fell apart around them and who bought Sharp KN-321s and held onto those until THEY started failing..)

Of course the rumor that they allegedly give off a ton of heat is about the only thing that gives them pause, though most of them will just have one of those ductless AC units installed just for this.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

Hopefully there will be a Sept. 10th thread (gee good thing 9/11 is a Wednesday this year) going up somewhere.

Really looking forward to the 'new gen' 16-inch MacBook Pros with the return to the scissor keyboards.

Also hoping the pricing options for the New CheeseGraters aren't totally jaw-dropping, I've actually got clients looking forward to dropping big $$$ just to have multiple large screen Apple-made monitors again (otherwise known as the guys who kept their Apple 30-inch Cinema Displays until they literally fell apart around them and who bought Sharp KN-321s and held onto those until THEY started failing..)

Of course the rumor that they allegedly give off a ton of heat is about the only thing that gives them pause, though most of them will just have one of those ductless AC units installed just for this.

None of this will happen Tuesday. That will be saved for October.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just wish that while they’re backtracking on the butterfly keys, they also backtrack on the arrow keys with the full-height left/right keys you can’t orient yourself on via touch.

Seriously what the gently caress Jony. It’s this era’s puck mouse and I have to live with it every day

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well Jony is off designing museums or whatever so his reign of terror is over. He or his design firm ain't coming back no matter what their press release says.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

American McGay posted:

Because it's the truth.

Yep, you can do a ton of stuff on an iPad Pro. And it's a lot nicer than using Windows in tablet mode, which is a special kind of hell.

eames
May 9, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Yep, you can do a ton of stuff on an iPad Pro. And it's a lot nicer than using Windows in tablet mode, which is a special kind of hell.

I use both and I don’t think Windows 10 in tablet mode is that terrible. Being able to switch into desktop mode with a complete file system and USB A port is super useful. The iPad is a better tablet and a MacBook is a better computer (for my purposes) but if I could only travel with one of the devices it’d be the MacBook or a Surface.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

LionArcher posted:

None of this will happen Tuesday. That will be saved for October.

We shall see..

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

We shall see..

I mean, sure. But rumors about new phones and watches are there, new iPads and new laptops are due in around October, we need more info on pros, so why not have two events .they need to announce services price(games, maybe tv) , and they don’t want to take focus away from IOS. Laptops and maybe iPads and the new cheesgrater will be October.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theyve done two fall events for who-knows-how-long now

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

What’s the consensus on the mini these days? Seems like a decent value but I haven’t looked at Macs closely since I bought my 2012 MacBook Pro which is still going strong.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Puppy Galaxy posted:

What’s the consensus on the mini these days? Seems like a decent value but I haven’t looked at Macs closely since I bought my 2012 MacBook Pro which is still going strong.

It really depends. It *is* a decent value and it *is* the cheapest new mac. But like once you start pricing out the iMacs and comparing what you get it totally makes zero sense for most home users (IMO) unless you're absolutely cash-strapped/you insist on using peripherals you already have. You take a 6-core mac mini and once you add a 4K (or, god forbid, 5K if you can still find one) display and then factor in the better graphics on the iMacs and it loses a lot of its appeal. But if you're cool throwing a cheap 1080p display next to it then go for it. I'd never spend money kitting out a "power user" Mac Mini setup, at that point I'd just jump to a 27" iMac and reap the benefit of the 5K screen.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The iMac screen is nice, but it does have some downsides compared to a traditional monitor: no height adjustability, not VESA compatible out of the box (I believe you have to buy a special version of the iMac w/ no stand if you want that, so you're SOL if you buy a normal iMac and want to VESA mount later), no additional inputs (for using the screen with other devices in addition to the Mac, e.g. maybe you also have a gaming PC or a gaming console that you want to use with the same screen) and is tied to the hardware so if you want to upgrade your computer you need a new screen too.

I wouldn't say the mini is only a good value when paired with a cheap 1080p display. If you already have a great monitor, want to invest in a monitor that can be used for more than just that 1 mac (price difference between a nice mini and nice imac is more than enough to buy a great standalone monitor), or have some sort of monitor needs that differ from the iMac's 27" 16:9 (e.g. maybe you want an ultrawide aspect ratio or a 34" 4k or something) an i7 mini can be a nice "power user" Mac option as long as you don't need lots of GPU performance.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Splinter posted:

The iMac screen is nice, but it does have some downsides compared to a traditional monitor: no height adjustability, not VESA compatible out of the box (I believe you have to buy a special version of the iMac w/ no stand if you want that, so you're SOL if you buy a normal iMac and want to VESA mount later)

Not entirely SOL if you're okay with a rube goldberg thing. I came across this bracket while searching for something else:

https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Adapter-Bracket-Computer-Stand-MACB/dp/B00RW9F336

No personal experience with it, but it ought to work okay. You just have to live with the iMac foot dangling in the air.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have a battered old first gen Surface Pro that I pulled out of retirement for a SQL class (since installing SQL on MacOS is so painful). It really kind of sucks. The aspect ratio is weird, the text is way too small, and it's just an awkward design. It looks like they've moved to a better 3:2 ratio on their 3rd generation at least.

The Surface can do more than the iPad Pro, but what the iPad Pro can do it does better than the Surface. So it all depends on what you need.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The CEO here has both a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad Pro and he keeps them both open and running side by side and I have no goddamn idea what he's doing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

The CEO here has both a Surface Pro 4 and an iPad Pro and he keeps them both open and running side by side and I have no goddamn idea what he's doing.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bzg8SETgKqm/

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That looks like someone got drunk and was having trouble trying to multitask on his laptop and iPad.

*sees who posted it*

Ah, that tracks

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
edit: think I figured it out

E2M2 fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 10, 2019

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yo, where's today's event thread? Other than the YOSPOS one?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I don't think we do event threads anymore, or at least I haven't noticed them. Times are changing. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

American McGay posted:

I don't think we do event threads anymore, or at least I haven't noticed them. Times are changing. :(

We did one during last year's iPhone event and also during the November iPad/Mac event. Also during WWDC in June, when they announced the new cheese grater.