Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean he had other moves. His version of Gangrel's DDT wasn't bad, even if it wasn't actually as slick as Gangrel's. The Edgeucution worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Edge was a very good wrestler with some very bad finishers.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

His spear was bad, but it was better than his original "Downward Spiral" finisher. Definitely not as good as Goldberg's or even Rhyno's. The DDT was fine, but by that point, everyone did a DDT, so it was kinda awkward to have one guy using it as a finisher and everyone else using it as a regular move.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm not a fan of any spear finisher. They just seem so unsatisfying in the flow of a wrestling match. To me, they're potentially awesome set-up moves for the proper finisher, like a People's Elbow.

Speaking of Edge, I've always thought Christian's Killswitch was one of the worst finishers in all of pro wrestling. The setup is so lame and often done in an awkward, almost botchlike manner. It's a relatively non-believable looking way to turn a guy around and then drive his face into the mat. It's basically a less impactful and much easier to reverse Fameasser.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I liked Kaitlyn's spear

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
you liked aj's sell of kaitlyns spear

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I liked every Kaitlyn spear, even the bad ones

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Funnily enough, and I think this is something DDP said on his website back in 1998 back when he used it like what we now think of as a blog, but when Goldberg was at the WCW Power Plant, somebody told Page "we haven't seen anybody with his drive and work ethic since Mortis."

So it's funny that Edge stole Mortis/Kanyon's finisher, but shittier, then migrated to Goldberg's finisher, but shittiest.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

When Edge first debuted in the WWF, he had blatantly stolen several moves from Mortis/Kanyon, like the Electric Drop face buster, the Flatliner, and another move that currently escapes me.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

My favourite Edge spear was at one of the TLC triple threat matches where he spears Lita in half on the outside of the ring.

I haven't seen it recently, so I dunno how well it stands up, but at the time I thought it looked phenomenal.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Moe_Rahn posted:

I might be biased, because I was a WCW kid growing up (by default, because my parents' cable package didn't carry USA) but I was watching clips of this year's Summerslam, and Goldberg's spear still looks like it actually slams a person into the ground (because when he's doing it right, he hooks the legs and makes it look sort of like a takedown), while Edge's just looks like he just puts an arm around the other guy and they fall over together.

it's because Bill would grab them around the thighs/hips and pivot them downwards to drive their back into the mat, sort of like a spinebuster. edge would just run into you and hold on, and it was up to you to take the bump.

rhyno does a similar thing to edge, but he doesn't hold on, it's almost more like a flying shoulder tackle. but he always put enough ferocity into it to make it believable. there are plenty of ways to do it and make it look good and Edge never did any of that

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Edge's spear only looked good if the person selling it jumped just before it happened. Rhyno, too.

Goldberg's almost always looked good because he was a football player and he wasn't working when he did it. He just did it.

You could playt it up and make it easy on yourself, or you could just brace yourself and let Bill run through you, but whichever you chose, it was gonna' loving happen. You were gonna' get got.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Davros1 posted:

When Edge first debuted in the WWF, he had blatantly stolen several moves from Mortis/Kanyon, like the Electric Drop face buster, the Flatliner, and another move that currently escapes me.

saying someone stole moves from Kanyon is like saying someone stole moves from Nova, it's just something that Happened in the 90s

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

the hell is happening on that uncensored poster?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Scott Steiner appears to be throwing DDP into a wormhole

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

No idea what the context for this pic is, but it's great

I remember nWo 2000 as being a reasonable enough idea which got completely wrecked by Nash & Hart getting hurt, Hall leaving, and Jeff Jarrett fitting like a square peg. Also those other pics are a great illustration of WCW being just godawful in 2000, it's no wonder they went out of business

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rujasu posted:

No idea what the context for this pic is, but it's great

I remember nWo 2000 as being a reasonable enough idea which got completely wrecked by Nash & Hart getting hurt, Hall leaving, and Jeff Jarrett fitting like a square peg. Also those other pics are a great illustration of WCW being just godawful in 2000, it's no wonder they went out of business

When they were the Insiders tag team.

Ready to Rumble, as terrible as it is, might still be better than any WWE movie

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
There's no way Douglas would ever be able to get Torrie, he's such a goober.

rujasu posted:

Also those other pics are a great illustration of WCW being just godawful in 2000, it's no wonder they went out of business

The PPV posters in particular are dreadful. Like, they've aged badly even by the low low standards of other turn-of-the-century garbage.

The one for New Blood Rising (which took place after the New Blood angle had already concluded!) features Vampiro. On the show, Vampiro was doing his ICP tribute act with The Great Muta of all people. The one for Halloween Havoc promises an "unveiling"; I've watched this show (it's horrible) and I don't remember anything about an "unveiling". Is it referring to that dreadful match between Sting and Jarrett, where alternate Stings kept coming in to do run-ins*? Awful.

* If my memory is correct, this included one Sting that the commentators claimed CAME FROM THE FUTURE.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

smikey posted:

Oh yeah, I remember lines referencing him as a shoot fighter, except for his matches didn't have any moves you would see in an actual MMA fight, vale tudo, or even pancrase (ok, not true, plenty of pancrase fights were worked and had drop kicks and showy suplexes in them.)
That's simply not true. He also did some martial arts kicks, which looked like poo poo and were incredibly unsafe, because he was a huge dude with no real martial arts training, doing spinning kicks to the head.

Before the insufferable nerds who run Wikipedia scrubbed movelists, some slightly less insufferable nerd catalogued every move Goldberg ever did and put them on his Wikipedia page, citing specific episodes of Nitro. In case you refuse to believe that Goldberg did a few armbars, a few kneebars, and tried some weird suplex exactly once. (His submission moves look like rear end, which is a good thing. If he tried to make them look good he would have maimed half the roster.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 9, 2019

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

This has that Big 90s Pizza Hut Energy

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Low Desert Punk posted:

it's because Bill would grab them around the thighs/hips and pivot them downwards to drive their back into the mat, sort of like a spinebuster. edge would just run into you and hold on, and it was up to you to take the bump.

rhyno does a similar thing to edge, but he doesn't hold on, it's almost more like a flying shoulder tackle. but he always put enough ferocity into it to make it believable. there are plenty of ways to do it and make it look good and Edge never did any of that
Goldberg's spear is just a proper double-leg takedown done at speed, i.e. a proper rugby style tackle. He always hit his opponent good and low and hooked the thighs. Early in his career, he and his opponent would often spin a little as they went down, with the opponent landing on their hip. That's just the physics of hitting someone low and slightly to the side. Later, he started doing a straight-on dump tackle. It looks good and allows the recipient to take a straight back back bump, but all his weight is on you and you're more likely to whip your head into the mat. (He's also more likely to spike his own head into the mat.)

In WWE, he started doing a dump tackle with a release. He hits low, lifts his opponent by the thighs, and then releases so that they can take the back bump without all his weight driving them down. It's safer for both of them. Occasionally he still does a full-force dump tackle, which looks like murder when he does it on anyone smaller than him.

Rhyno was a bit different. He hit good and low, but he didn't hang onto his opponent and bear them to the ground, so it wasn't a tackle. That was okay; his intensity and fireplug build made it look good. But post-ECW, he started doing the hit and then landing nowhere near his opponent, which made it look like he was just doing a diving stomach punch. Sometimes his opponent would sell it with big bump onto their shoulders, but that just meant they landed four feet away from each other and made it look even more like it was just a diving punch. By the time he got to TNA his spears were usually lame.

Many people have tried to analyze the flaw in Edge's technique that made his Spears look like poo poo. This is folly, because there are many ways to gently caress up a Spear, and Edge experimented with all of them. First, the common factor is that he always, always hit his opponent too high, usually at the solar plexus instead of the hip. This apparently led him to try to shed the impact in various ways, which made it look even worse.

Sometimes he'd try to just go down on his knees, or even one knee, which made the move look awkward and stuffed the impact. Sometimes he'd do an imitation of Rhyno's worst Spears, but with even less impact and landing even further from his opponent. Then he started turning ninety degrees to the side as he hit, and since he wasn't doing a takedown, it looked like he just barely glanced off his opponent. (It looked like that because that's exactly what happened.)

As a consequence, nobody remembers any Edge Spear that wasn't through a table, into a cage, off a ladder, etc. The ladder spears were the best, not only because the Hardys sold it well but because it required him to actually hold his opponent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ben-K has a way better spear than Edge despite being relatively small.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I have seen 150-pound guys with better Spears than Edge.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The problem with Edge's Spears is he always stopped moving at the point of impact.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I have seen 150-pound guys with better Spears than Edge.
and 100lb gals

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Were Edge's spears a contributing factor to his injuries that led to his retirement? Because if so, that makes them even shittier.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Davros1 posted:

The problem with Edge's Spears is he always stopped moving at the point of impact.

yeah its imediately floor on touch with Edge's spear. Good spears to me, have the receiver either fly away(like a POOOOOOUNCE) or the deliverer carry the person a few steps before dropping them into side control.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

iamsosmrt posted:

Were Edge's spears a contributing factor to his injuries that led to his retirement? Because if so, that makes them even shittier.

I remember Rhyno saying he suffered a neck injury doing a spear on Kurt Angle, when Angle accidentally moved in front of him. (Rhyno always said he told guys to move to the right when he was doing it, so his shoulder with connect with their midsection, but Angle moved left, and Rhyno went headfirst into Angle's abs.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Yeah, you're supposed to hit their midsection with your shoulder, with your head tight against their hip. Going in straight-on is a great way to jam up your neck or eat a knee coming up into your jaw.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
didn't edge gently caress up a spear on the outside and jam his neck, and that was the straw that broke the camel's neck? I remember seeing a video of it but it might have been bullshit

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

I’m two pages late, but I appreciate this post. Simultaneously the best and worst closing of a wrestling show ever. Or at least up there.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BodyMassageMachine posted:

I’m two pages late, but I appreciate this post. Simultaneously the best and worst closing of a wrestling show ever. Or at least up there.

eric's face really completes the whole thing to me. like he sells that plastic hogan head so well, so much better than it deserved lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

shiksa posted:

eric's face really completes the whole thing to me. like he sells that plastic hogan head so well, so much better than it deserved lol
He sold for the bird head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was Sting originally supposed to kick Hogan from the zipline? It certainly looks like he's trying, but then loses momentum so Hogan just runs out of the ring instead.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was Sting originally supposed to kick Hogan from the zipline? It certainly looks like he's trying, but then loses momentum so Hogan just runs out of the ring instead.

It kinda seems that way. That's a really slack zipline and he's at least trying to make sure his legs clear the ring ropes.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I love how Hogan carefully takes the head out of the box and only then does he realise what it is.

It also took Sting an eternity to set the zip line up, so Hogan had to keep going :O and Bret had to keep going :/ while they waited.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I love how Hogan carefully takes the head out of the box and only then does he realise what it is.

He wasn't sure if it was his or not, that could have been anyone's head :v:

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

hello i am the guy who ramped up his wax doppelganger business in the mid to late nineties only to get burnt when wrestling inexplicably stopped doing that almost as quickly as it had inexplicably started doing that. it is me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I mean, the things the Booty Man got up to, Hogan was expecting his head in a box for a long time.