Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Charles posted:

Lowtax is going to come back and see all these replies that nobody's written 1000x before, read them, realize how to fix the forum and implement it.

he will. he's good at running a forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Imagine being thousands of dollars in debt with a broken back, children depending on you, and you wonder if making your website .5 seconds faster is worth 1,500 US dollars per month

Goddamn it low tax

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

To be fair, it IS real fast :captainpop:

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
If the forums went back to their original speed, I might finally be able to get some work done. Slow it down Tax!

Aishlinn
Mar 31, 2011

This might hurt a bit..

Yes, it has been pretty drat fast, but it's really not worth it. 1500$ is bonkers.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
spines forever forums never, unless there's some left over from the spine thing you know what I mean

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Only speed it up for central prime time. Make it slower for every other timezone.

crabcakes dogg
Aug 8, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
hey wait im the ideas guy here!

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Wizzanthos posted:

It'd be really great if we could have some kind of accounting of where all the donations are going. Knowing that the $11k from patreon is going to paying off Lowtax's medical debt first and any changes to the forums won't happen for another decade would at least reduce the number of posts asking about xenforo, and it'd probably help increase the donations if we knew that every extra dollar gets SA 1 day closer to being a less-antiquated forum.
What's antiquated about SA compared to a modern forum? Specifically xenforo, because most of the other forum software doesn't scale or sucks for discussions. And xenforo doesn't scale trivially. You're going to end up with a similar situation to current SA after investing a massive amount of development and devops effort into getting xenforo SA-ready.

The current issue, if you could call it that because the forums are working fine they just aren't getting new features, seems to be a lack of documentation and no current coder. Switching to xenforo, which will take multiple coders and plenty of time, won't suddenly solve either of those issues.

I'm pretty sure everyone with experience with applications at this scale or larger are firmly in the "don't switch" camp. I don't even see any tangible gains for end users, and from the perspective of running it the server costs should be the same because the bulk of the cost should be things that are relatively static between current SA and Xenforo.

Some guy earlier in the thread volunteered to slowly document things. If Lowtax takes him up on the offer, I'd be willing to document with him. Getting a team of 2-3 people to slowly document things seems like a first step toward moving forward. But, this legitimately takes time. For large, legacy project it takes 3-12 months to get someone up to speed, and even then there's a pretty good chance they haven't been exposed to the entirety of the software. Thinking about it more I'm not even sure how practical it is for me to contribute because I have a job and stuff.

I think cost-wise it probably makes more sense to just chip away at updates to the current software. But I haven't seen behind the curtain of SA ever. So it's impossible to say. If something like 3000 templates is the problem then working on refactoring the templating engine might be worthwhile, because that's significantly less effort than migrating to an entire new forum software.

My earlier post in the thread touched on how big of a risk the migration would be. People flip out over 1px border changes and minor color changes. Heck, I flipped out when google changed the font's rendering on windows because the new one looked like garbage compared to the old one. A big migration without making it look and feel the same would likely lose tons of users along the way. I'd bet the extended down times ~5 years ago lost quite a few users, and nothing even changed there.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 9, 2019

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Trying to change software would be insane. The user attrition alone would be immense even with account migration.

And it'd probably just replace problems with different problems.

If we want to have a dedicated set amount of money go directly to fixing backend issues just hire an actually qualified person/service not related to the site to do it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

spines forever forums never, unless there's some left over from the spine thing you know what I mean

There's got to be some way to leverage buying lowtax a new spine into more server infrastructure.

Do you really need all the nerves to go to the brain? What if we used some of those lanes for a new network card?

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
We need to host SA within Lowtax's cyberspine.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Resting Lich Face posted:

We need to host SA within Lowtax's cyberspine.

No thanks, this site is gay enough without it being literally inside a man

Wizzanthos posted:

It'd be really great if we could have some kind of accounting of where all the donations are going. Knowing that the $11k from patreon is going to paying off Lowtax's medical debt first and any changes to the forums won't happen for another decade would at least reduce the number of posts asking about xenforo, and it'd probably help increase the donations if we knew that every extra dollar gets SA 1 day closer to being a less-antiquated forum.

Dude, do you know how "donations" work? We are not entitled to audit lowtax medical bills, and why the gently caress would we be? I'm donating to keep the site alive and at a bargain loving price per month compared to the value I've gotten out of it. If you don't like the way the money is spent, don't donate.

Lowtax has kept this site alive at bargain bin prices for its users and has refused to monetize the user base and our personal info. That is so loving rare these days I trust lowtax more than I trust my own bank.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Nice piece of fish posted:

Lowtax has kept this site alive at bargain bin prices for its users and has refused to monetize the user base and our personal info. That is so loving rare these days I trust lowtax more than I trust my own bank.

This is true, I get 100% fewer emails whenever I update anything forums related compared to when I do anything bank/credit card related.

I guess what I'm really saying is, we should be sending Lowtax all our money on the assumption of a small but guaranteed rate of return, with all additional proceeds to be annually distributed between forums members.

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
slow forum speed allows us time to cultivate inner patience

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Have you considered setting up the forums as a separate legal company which liscenses something awfuls propriety software and domain name for one dollar per year, while racking up huge company debts in hosting fees before finally declaring bankruptcy, before setting up an identical company to continue the forums with, ad infinitum? I mean poo poo it worked for trump like 5 times and he’s president now so how can it possibly be illegal

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

Khorne posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone with experience with applications at this scale or larger are firmly in the "don't switch" camp. I don't even see any tangible gains for end users, and from the perspective of running it the server costs should be the same because the bulk of the cost should be things that are relatively static between current SA and Xenforo.

Some guy earlier in the thread volunteered to slowly document things. If Lowtax takes him up on the offer, I'd be willing to document with him. Getting a team of 2-3 people to slowly document things seems like a first step toward moving forward. But, this legitimately takes time. For large, legacy project it takes 3-12 months to get someone up to speed, and even then there's a pretty good chance they haven't been exposed to the entirety of the software. Thinking about it more I'm not even sure how practical it is for me to contribute because I have a job and stuff.

As a fellow computer toucher who exclusively works with legacy applications I'd also be happy to donate some time to documenting this place if there is a need for that

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

RepeatingMeme posted:

As a fellow computer toucher who exclusively works with legacy applications I'd also be happy to donate some time to documenting this place if there is a need for that
Be careful. Staring into the spaghetti has turned the minds of men into the very same.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Switch us to monthly subscriptions

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

yeah this is actually really good imo and probably the main reason why this site doesn't suck rear end compared to the rest of the loving internet

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Lowtax, just make it a subreddit. Let them foot the bill for hosting.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Are lowtax and lady A still together or did he split up with another wife?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Resting Lich Face posted:

Trying to change software would be insane. The user attrition alone would be immense even with account migration.

And it'd probably just replace problems with different problems.

If we want to have a dedicated set amount of money go directly to fixing backend issues just hire an actually qualified person/service not related to the site to do it.

I used to be a strong proponent for changing the software, but this reasoning (from Lowtax in a previous thread) changed my mind and now I agree with this. There's no easy solution, but as slow and painful as it will be, this seems to be the best way to go.

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

not worth it. ban all foreign IPs. Keep it Americans only.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Captain Yossarian posted:

Are lowtax and lady A still together or did he split up with another wife?
drat, ouch. Unlike his left arm he's gonna feel that one

the_enduser
May 1, 2006

They say the user lives outside the net.

Can't we just use IRC or just take the forums to discord guys?

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
would it be possible to migrate to Gaia Online?

Broken Bio Qlock
Mar 8, 2009
Nap Ghost

Khorne posted:

I think cost-wise it probably makes more sense to just chip away at updates to the current software. But I haven't seen behind the curtain of SA ever. So it's impossible to say. If something like 3000 templates is the problem then working on refactoring the templating engine might be worthwhile, because that's significantly less effort than migrating to an entire new forum software.

My earlier post in the thread touched on how big of a risk the migration would be. People flip out over 1px border changes and minor color changes. Heck, I flipped out when google changed the font's rendering on windows because the new one looked like garbage compared to the old one. A big migration without making it look and feel the same would likely lose tons of users along the way. I'd bet the extended down times ~5 years ago lost quite a few users, and nothing even changed there.

If changing anything in the current software is so dangerous then why bother with any kind of update? And in that case why even bother with documentation if nothing is to be changed?
Either greenfield or go the "if it aint broke dont fix it" route. The whole discussion was aimed to make it more cost efficient in the long run, but if no option is viable then just go with the "keep throwing more money at it" option and focus on the monetization.

Anyway poo poo is hosed, because it's not the hosting which will do Lowtax in, it is the lovely american healthcare system. Goons can beat the former, but not the latter.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

Broken Bio Qlock posted:

Anyway poo poo is hosed, because it's not the hosting which will do Lowtax in, it is the lovely american healthcare system. Goons can beat the former, but not the latter.

Nonsense. We just need a goon in a country with actual healthcare to marry Lowtax so he can go live there.

Doesn't even need to be a female goon. It's legal anywhere worth moving to and he already has experience with loveless marriages so any goon will work.

bubblebee
Jan 6, 2014
I'd say Canada but moving here is a bitch and a half even if you marry a citizen.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.
Are you suggesting we pimp Lowtax out for the sake for these forums?

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Shut up Meg posted:

Are you suggesting we pimp Lowtax out for the sake for these forums?

I'm suggesting we all buy Sid a pizza

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He's married to a Canadian but can't move there because he has children with an ex here in the U.S.

yello
Nov 28, 2000

Jesus Fucking Christ I posted in a stupid GBS avatar thread and some piece of shit saddled me with this spiteful nightmare fuel.
Grimey Drawer
Dial it back to 2001 speed. Let’s do this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

yello posted:

Dial it back to 2001 speed. Let’s do this.

:f5:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Close the forums between the hours of 3am and 9 so, and on holidays. Use the money saved on new spines or sex games on steam or just burn it or w/e

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

Khorne posted:

What's antiquated about SA compared to a modern forum? Specifically xenforo, because most of the other forum software doesn't scale or sucks for discussions. And xenforo doesn't scale trivially. You're going to end up with a similar situation to current SA after investing a massive amount of development and devops effort into getting xenforo SA-ready.

The current issue, if you could call it that because the forums are working fine they just aren't getting new features, seems to be a lack of documentation and no current coder. Switching to xenforo, which will take multiple coders and plenty of time, won't suddenly solve either of those issues.

^ this is my thinking as well.

The SA forums' biggest problem (other than Lowtax losing feeling in his left arm and huge medical bills) is that the infrastructure and what Lowtax is paying bills on is sort of scattered around and needs an inventory and documentation. Figure out what is attached to what, that sort of thing.

Moving to a new forum software has its own problems, and as is shown by any big migration project (eg Flickr -> Yahoo!, CDBaby, or even closer to home, Radium) there's a chance you will lose users and break the place in worse ways.

There are a lot of good incremental changes that can be done and slowly refactoring and fixing the cruft, eg, the templating engine, and that can be done over time. Thank you to the person who earlier posted Joel Spolsky's thing about discarding software to make a new version. There is also Fred Brooks and the Mythical Man Month where he talks about big projects, how much of a mess they were, and how you build one system to throw away. Don't rebuild! Just fix this one.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bubblebee posted:

I'd say Canada but moving here is a bitch and a half even if you marry a citizen.

i will trade citizenships with lowtax

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax

Dude, do you know how "donations" work? We are not entitled to audit lowtax medical bills, and why the gently caress would we be? I'm donating to keep the site alive and at a bargain loving price per month compared to the value I've gotten out of it. If you don't like the way the money is spent, don't donate.
Good points, but how do you know in what way the money is spent? I think that's what the poster you quoted was asking. And I think normally organizations that are supported by donations do have to have some accounting of where the money goes. Of course, it's different with Patreon, as you're nominally paying for Lowtax's wacky videos, not actually donating for any explicit purpose like "keeping Something Awful alive".

quote:

I mean, he has refused to monetize because he's not very good at business management stuff (see the title of this thread for an example). If he could go back to like 2005 when the site might've been worth some serious money, maybe he would make different decisions. And what do you think the user base's personal info (e-mail addresses I guess?) is worth at this point? Like five dollars maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Wizzanthos posted:

Can't anything be simple anymore? Why does everybody need to know every detail about everybody else? Stop trying to control people's lives and just enjoy the forums.