Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I am glad i wasn’t the only one who caught that. Mexico takes that poo poo seriously

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
To show how deeply translating this comic for ten years has warped my brain, I dreamt that this storyline took the turn where Martinez ended up training Sendo. Basically his management decides that since there are no viable contenders left, they would foster an opponent for an aging Ricardo to battle in a trumped up squash match, but Ricardo is old and bored so he takes it pretty seriously and actually trains Sendo to the point he's able to be a credible world title contender.

I don't know where this line of speculation was meant to lead because apparently dream speculation is even less coherent than the waking kind, but I think I'd prefer it over Ricardo completely no-selling another opponent

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
.....that would actually be *interesting*.

Hell, it wouldn't even need to be someone for Ricardo to fight, just to put him up against Gonzalez, saying, if you can beat this guy (after we've tuned his fighting up a bit) fine, we'll accept the challenge.

Also, thank you and Puar for doing those translations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, basically Zoro and Mihawk all over again?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If it works for Oda, why the hell not.

(don't answer that, Oda is a freak of nature, I know.)

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
New chapter's out

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

:drat:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Sendo fuckin' rules

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Make Sendo the protagonist.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider
For the love of god make the story about Sendo instead. This is so good.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
¡A huevo! :dance:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
sendo is absolutely going to be crippled vs martinez lol

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

i wish this comic were more consistently like this because this owns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tbp posted:

sendo is absolutely going to be crippled vs martinez lol

I think he is going to fight Gonzales first.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sendo becoming the hero the story desperately needed. :allears:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
SENDO!

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
If this is really his in to challenge Ricardo then he's for sure getting crippled/killed to motivate Ippo going pro again. This sacrifice, it's too much :negative:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
He's gonna kick Ricardo's rear end, become the world champion, and then the manga will end

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

CharlestonJew posted:

He's gonna kick Ricardo's rear end, become the world champion, and then the manga will end

:hai:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Takes No Damage posted:

If this is really his in to challenge Ricardo then he's for sure getting crippled/killed to motivate Ippo going pro again. This sacrifice, it's too much :negative:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alternate scenario, Sendo turns NWO, destroys Martinez and takes the belt, calls out Ippo as a "has been" in an interview, takes an expo fight against Miyata at a higher weight class, kills Miyata in the ring and pulls a Drago.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

hni takes too many beats from anj. having the explicit joe analog do anything other than get crippled/die vs the explicit jose mendoza analog (and perhaps...show his weakness in the fight!) doesn't make sense

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
looking forward to drooling vegetable sendo being taken care of by his teacher.

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

"I retired from boxing because it was too dangerous, but now that Sendo died/got crippled in the ring I have to return!"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Adnor posted:

"I retired from boxing because it was too dangerous, but now that Sendo died/got crippled in the ring I have to return!"

Did you never watch like half the Rocky movies or

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

That Works posted:

Did you never watch like half the Rocky movies or

Oh yeah I know.

I still find it funny though.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Ah gotcha

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sendo is probably gonna get a career-ending beating at the hands of Gonzales, I don't see HNI doing an outright death in the ring or even something as heavy as paralysis - Sawamura crashed his bike and got vague "career-ending" injuries. Sendo is probably gonna get Ippo's diagnosis but in certain terms (maybe he'll even say he noticed some signs), and then Ippo is gonna decide "gently caress it, I have to risk everything now or regret it forever".

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Adnor posted:

lol at this, but just my reading is that it will be more of a "as i've beaten him, his dreams are in my fists" obligation type thing

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
We can all agree that Sendo's about to get hosed up, I guess the question is whether it'll be by Alfredo or Ricardo

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I feel more it would be Alfredo. Ricardo was a sparring match. Knowing Alfredo he wants to how Sendo manage to knockdown Ricardo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i feel like alfredo beating sendo would be such a disappointment. he really doesn't have a ton making him interesting for me to watch. he's just "the less good ricardo martinez who wants to fight ricardo martinez for a third time" which now that i write it out is the exact same thing as sendo and ippo lol

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CharlestonJew posted:

We can all agree that Sendo's about to get hosed up, I guess the question is whether it'll be by Alfredo or Ricardo

Definitely gonna be a case of Ricardo offering the winner between Sendo and Gonzales a title shot, which means Gonzales is gonna destroy Sendo and i'm not sure i'm okay with that. :ohdear:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh I agree, I defintely don't want a Ippo/Alfredo 2.0. I actually would rather Sendo win, making Ippo unretire because Sendo manage to get ahead of him. I mean we all thought Wolf was gonna lose and he won, so.. maybe Sendo will win and be an inspiration for Ippo to get back in the ring.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Shindragon posted:

Oh I agree, I defintely don't want a Ippo/Alfredo 2.0. I actually would rather Sendo win, making Ippo unretire because Sendo manage to get ahead of him. I mean we all thought Wolf was gonna lose and he won, so.. maybe Sendo will win and be an inspiration for Ippo to get back in the ring.

I don't see how Sendo being successful would convince Ippo to get back into the ring when even Miyata couldn't, and Ippo is fully aware that Miyata is suffering a weight class he can no longer sustain all for the prayer of fighting him.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I got the last names mixed up, I think Sendo gets a match because Ricardo feels like that would be interesting, then punches Sendo into an early retirement but in a hard-fought match. Then he gets interested in Ippo - someone that beat Sendo too - and Ippo decides to make a comeback, but Alfredo is in the way and considerably pissed. So you get a rematch where Ippo can prove he's CROSSED THE LINE

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

TaurusOxford posted:

I don't see how Sendo being successful would convince Ippo to get back into the ring when even Miyata couldn't, and Ippo is fully aware that Miyata is suffering a weight class he can no longer sustain all for the prayer of fighting him.

I think more so because of recent developments with Mashiba also growing, Taka winning, Ippo is having second thoughts. not to mention how well this is sorta personal seeing as Sendo wants to beat the guy who beat Ippo. So far all the motivation is left jabs etc, and well if Sendo developed a left jab as well.. feels like that would be tipping point for Ippo.

It's been a while so I forgot if Sendo even has one.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 11, 2019

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe
Kamogawa being a pro wrestling fan makes so much sense. Matches can't end without dramatic turn arounds and both fighters need to have the poo poo sufficiently kicked out of them!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Kamogawa just thinks Ippo's brain damage is kayfabe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Shindragon posted:

I think more so because of recent developments with Mashiba also growing, Taka winning, Ippo is having second thoughts. not to mention how well this is sorta personal seeing as Sendo wants to beat the guy who beat Ippo. So far all the motivation is left jabs etc, and well if Sendo developed a left jab as well.. feels like that would be tipping point for Ippo.

It's been a while so I forgot if Sendo even has one.

like most fighters in the manga he started with a reasonable fighting style where he did indeed throw jabs that were noticeably very heavy (even pushing down ippos peekaboo guard off)

he then subsequently lost this for the most part and began throwing wild swings and comically outrageous moves at all times