Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I still like how the whole thing seems to have started just because Yama believed all the other canine people had a right to live their own lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Sindai posted:

Yama's power is like a Jojo's stand out of nowhere

I'm really curious how this is going to end without all the dog people dying.

The existing canine people aren't going to die, it's just impossible to make new ones without Doom to steal the power from.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
My guess is that Dooms heart is transferred along with the power to use his canine-creating abilities. Or maybe it becomes an item. Somehow Baam will make the canines masters of their own destiny.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Baam with reveal that as part of absorbing a hit of Doom trying to turn him into a canine person, he can now do so himself, much like getting hit by reverse flow let him suddenly know how to do it.

He will then power up all his old friends by sharing out his many power ups over the whole cast.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Panzerschwein posted:

My guess is that Dooms heart is transferred along with the power to use his canine-creating abilities.
That really is the most obvious route. I'm almost 100% sure that Deng-Deng will become the next vessel for that ability since he's going to need that a heart anyways (provided SIU doesn't go the alternate route and give him his friend's heart so they can metaphorically travel up the tower together)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

KittyEmpress posted:

He will then power up all his old friends by sharing out his many power ups over the whole cast.

I actually wouldn't be disappointed if the final fight vs Jahad is Baam pooling all his absorbed powers and one-shotting the dude.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

nimby posted:

I actually wouldn't be disappointed if the final fight vs Jahad is Baam pooling all his absorbed powers and one-shotting the dude.

That would be hell to draw though. People are already complaining that the battles look too shinsu busy. We are entering Pollock territory here..

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
They're fine when he remembers to draw them from a distance but seems to insist on it being up close to see the characters clearly which make it hard to read

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Chapter is up

Evankhell remains boss. Elder gonna get his poo poo pushed in although I have a feeling... bow dude isn't actually the elder. That girl is the elder.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Could be. Things suddenly swung real hard back in the good guys' favor this chapter and it felt too easy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the blog post is pretty ambiguous as to whether shes a guide but idk if thats just the weird translation. it does state clearly though she's the elders companion

https://www.reddit.com/r/TowerofGod/comments/d4smiw/blog_translation_season_3_chapter_28/

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

AtomikKrab posted:

No discussion at all about how Yama is BOSS and also a very cool and chill dude

Who is utterly immune to your shinsu if you have even the slightest drop of fear towards him

From a purely narrative point of view, I really love that power. Favorite in a long time as far as "weird fantasy powers" go.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Jose posted:

the blog post is pretty ambiguous as to whether shes a guide but idk if thats just the weird translation. it does state clearly though she's the elders companion

https://www.reddit.com/r/TowerofGod/comments/d4smiw/blog_translation_season_3_chapter_28/

I wonder if she isn't part of Hwa Ryun's lineage, but didn't complete whatever training they go through to be a proper Guide. Not that we know much about it, other than that they undergo a pilgrimage to the Floor of Death, and that other Guides have their own pilgrimage. There's also something of a precedent though, in that Hockney has powers similar to a Guide's, but isn't formally considered one. There's also a potential motivation, in that Red Witches foresee and are required to embrace their eventual death.

Kind of strange if she's a renegade of some sort... who also works for FUG like a proper Red Witch.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Sep 16, 2019

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Sindai posted:

Could be. Things suddenly swung real hard back in the good guys' favor this chapter and it felt too easy.

I get the feeling Elders are more powerful than most Slayers, even if that hasn't been fully conveyed to us, and that alone is kind of ramping up the stakes. This guy walked in and apparently doesn't fear Yama in the slightest.

profileusername
Mar 2, 2019

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I get the feeling Elders are more powerful than most Slayers, even if that hasn't been fully conveyed to us, and that alone is kind of ramping up the stakes. This guy walked in and apparently doesn't fear Yama in the slightest.

The power structure in FUG seems weird. Slayers are supposed to be the candidates for taking on Jahad and the families so you'd think they would be a big authority but this elder doesn't seem too concerned with picking a fight with multiple slayers and a bunch of high rankers at once. Also Ha Jinsung was regarded as one of the stronger FUG members but was not an elder or slayer, just a really strong dude. I guess titles don't mean everything in FUG.

Also regarding the elder's companion I kinda assumed she was a red witch guide based on appearance and talking about paths and stuff now. Have we seen any non-guides talk about paths in the Tower?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!
Slayers seem to be the "public face" of FUG, while the Elders seem to be the original leaders

I kind of suspect that FUG is largely inspired by SUC from The Breaker. Right down to SIU kind of admitting that the acronym FUG doesn't actually stand for anything. Apart from being itself hilarious, SUC stood for Soldiers Under Command, which is kind of awkward in English since it's entirely redundant. Soldiers are inherently under command, but calling it "Soldiers" would recall FF7 too strongly. The SUC refer to Chun-Woo/Goomoonryong as their "god," although in their case they aren't actually affiliated with their "deity" and are using his name for their own purposes. In this analogy, Goomoonryong would be the Slayer, and the Black Forest Defense Group which manipulated their actions would be the "Elders." There might also be some Noblesse influence behind the use of the term "Elders" as well, from the leadership of the villainous Union.

I do like the popular fan interpretation "Forgiven Under Grace" since that makes it an appropriate nod towards a widespread interpretation of Christianity and cements both of Baam's names as indicative of his story being messianic rather than simply heroic.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 17, 2019

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

profileusername posted:

The power structure in FUG seems weird. Slayers are supposed to be the candidates for taking on Jahad and the families so you'd think they would be a big authority but this elder doesn't seem too concerned with picking a fight with multiple slayers and a bunch of high rankers at once. Also Ha Jinsung was regarded as one of the stronger FUG members but was not an elder or slayer, just a really strong dude. I guess titles don't mean everything in FUG.

Also regarding the elder's companion I kinda assumed she was a red witch guide based on appearance and talking about paths and stuff now. Have we seen any non-guides talk about paths in the Tower?

I think the deal with Slayers is that they have something unique about them that could, eventually, allow them to challenge above their station.

The Elders are just folks who've been around forever, and are super powerful. I imagine Jinsung is close to that, but Jinsung's already reached his proverbial power cap so he can't be a Slayer. He can't surpass the family leaders like Karaka with his obvious Zahard ties or maybe Yama with his unique transformation. Or, obviously, Baam with his protagonist powers. I think Jinsung is left out from being an Elder because...he might not be old enough? He's super, duper old and super powerful but he is the grandson of a family leader. He might not have been born when FUG was formed after The Zahard vs V and Arlene civil war, but only later fell into it. And because of his lineage and hatred became this old, super powerful dude. Maybe the Elders are just purely the original FUG members. Being that old makes them naturally super powerful, but they predate even the idea of a slayer. Then again Luslec is the first Slayer so who even knows.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 17, 2019

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I understood the Slayers as the people who are intended to kill a specific Family head - Baam obviously is meant for Zahard as no one else can do it, and White clearly wants to kill Arie Hon and no one else. Less sure about Karaka - probably wants to kill/at least defeat Zahard as well although he/she probably can't, but ehhh.

Sorta breaks down beyond that because I'm not sure who Yama is really pointed at / wants to kill since from what we've seen he's mostly interested in keeping the canine people alive for no reason beyond letting them be alive.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Shugojin posted:

I understood the Slayers as the people who are intended to kill a specific Family head - Baam obviously is meant for Zahard as no one else can do it, and White clearly wants to kill Arie Hon and no one else. Less sure about Karaka - probably wants to kill/at least defeat Zahard as well although he/she probably can't, but ehhh.

Sorta breaks down beyond that because I'm not sure who Yama is really pointed at / wants to kill since from what we've seen he's mostly interested in keeping the canine people alive for no reason beyond letting them be alive.

I think it was stated at some point that Karaka targets Jahad, which is why he wanted to make Baam into an ignition weapon. Trusting this kid to accomplish his ultimate goal in life is a big ask even from Jinsung, but Baam, being Baam, has began to win him over.

I kind of get the impression that as far as Yama is concerned, being a Slayer is mostly just something he won along with the Cage and leadership of the canine people when he beat Doom, and, well, as the dude said, if you want to take the title from him you have to fight him for it...

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Sep 17, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The speculation I saw which makes a lot of sense is yama would be the lo po bia family head slayer and that be might be responsible for the canine people

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Shugojin posted:

That also brings up the question of who Luslec fights because his entire beef is with Zahard slaying V.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Jose posted:

The speculation I saw which makes a lot of sense is yama would be the lo po bia family head slayer and that be might be responsible for the canine people

That would make a lot of sense. A lot of emphasis has been put on Yama being a lone wolf, while his ultimate motivation is actually oriented towards caring for the community he leads. The Lo Po Bia family, on the other hand, are predominately Animas; so by definition their strength comes from getting others to fight for them. The Lo Po Bia family are also characterized as maybe the worst bootlickers towards authority in the comic and as manipulating those below them into effective slavery. (A notable exception being Kaiser, who is also heavily associated with wolf imagery). So basically, they're perfect foils for each other.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

That also brings up the question of who Luslec fights because his entire beef is with Zahard slaying V.

Eh, we barely know anything about Luslec. There's plenty of room for him (?) to have some personal beef or rivalry with one of the other family heads from the time before poo poo went down between V/Arlene and the 10 family leaders.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Sep 17, 2019

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I thought at one point it was said that Slayers have to be Irregulars since they are the only ones allowed to hurt the people in charge, but I’m not sure that any of the other Slayers we’ve met are though. That would explain why the super powerful Elders can’t really do anything.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ethiser posted:

I thought at one point it was said that Slayers have to be Irregulars since they are the only ones allowed to hurt the people in charge, but I’m not sure that any of the other Slayers we’ve met are though. That would explain why the super powerful Elders can’t really do anything.

One of the running theories is all you need is one irregular: Said irregular, like Enryu, kills the Admin on the 100th Floor and suddenly the invincibility/immortality contract the Family Heads had can be overcome and the slayers can fight their counterparts.

You need an Irregular to kill Zahard because he has a separate King contract granted to him on top of the same contract the rest of the family heads have that make them special. This is, ostensibly, the thing that allowed him to kill V even though V should've had the same immortality contract that the Family Heads had (and is why Arlene could not kill herself -- she couldn't overcome her own immortality gift like Zahard could with V).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
V was never immortal, and killed himself.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Mulva posted:

V was never immortal, and killed himself.

All of the family heads got an immortality contract for reaching the 100th floor. It's the same reason Arlene couldn't kill herself. V might've been left out of that for some reason(like Bloodmadder who had a condition put on his), but we haven't been told that. We do know they both made it to the 100th floor because part of their rebellion was about how Zahard decided to stop at 134. Thus the speculation that Zahard is special and can override that contract as king -- it'd also be a good reason for why Gustang is clearly plotting against him but didn't do so back with V and Arlene. Hard to stand up to the one guy in the world who can end your life.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 18, 2019

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i can't remember if its from the blog posts or stated in the series but arie hon who is rank 5 has apparently said he is unable to match up with jahad and that Urek was able to beat him basically at floor 100 when he reached his test

basically the top 4 are so far above everyone else that nobody can challenge them. What happened to enryu is the really weird bit since he seems capable of defeating jahad alone

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

That's blog post stuff. The reason Arie decided to follow Zahard is because he challenged him 10 times and lost 10 times.

Urek fought him evenly before even becoming a ranker, instead of just "surviving" 5 minutes with Arie (which is his usual challenge) and Arie says Urek wasn't taking him seriously -- though Arie himself doesn't try to kill people who take his challenge on. It's a bit of a wash but the inclination was that Urek was the strongest dude in the tower before he ever even made it top the top floor.

SIU said we're definitely learning more about Enryu in the future so we just have to wait and see on that one.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

but we haven't been told that.

I mean I know it's been a few years but

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-240/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=321

V was never immortal. Everyone else, including Arlene, was. Why wasn't he immortal? We don't know. We just know he wasn't, and that he killed himself.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

All of the family heads got an immortality contract for reaching the 100th floor. It's the same reason Arlene couldn't kill herself. V might've been left out of that for some reason(like Bloodmadder who had a condition put on his), but we haven't been told that. We do know they both made it to the 100th floor because part of their rebellion was about how Zahard decided to stop at 134. Thus the speculation that Zahard is special and can override that contract as king -- it'd also be a good reason for why Gustang is clearly plotting against him but didn't do so back with V and Arlene. Hard to stand up to the one guy in the world who can end your life.

It was specifically stated that V didn't get the contract for an unknown reason.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I just assumed that V rejected it but we will see.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

A drat I misremembered it. It seems weird to me that V wasn't and Arlene was when they were all going on the journey together. I guess we'll see more about that in the future.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
V thought that using cheat codes was lame and insisted on playing in hardcore mode

What really pushed Zahard over the edge was constantly being called a casual

Sindai fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 19, 2019

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 224 days!

Sindai posted:

V thought that using cheat codes was lame and insisted on playing in hardcore mode

What really pushed Zahard over the edge was constantly being called a casual

tbf he refused to leave resource management mode after reaching the floor where you have to fight an administrator and insisted that he was still the most hardcore even when the girl he liked and her bf said "lol we gotta get gud."

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

https://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-3-ep-28/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=446

can rak just get the spear already

Also we apparently got a counterpart for Evankhell over here.

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Sorry guys, I bought fast pass coins and read ahead, this chapter made me do it.

Brownieftw
Nov 23, 2011

Fluff master

Tipme posted:

Sorry guys, I bought fast pass coins and read ahead, this chapter made me do it.

Same. And now I'm not sure if I can avoid doing it repeatedly because otherwise it's almost a month for a new chapter. :negative:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evankhell? The one from hell?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

This is why taking it slow is good. I don't have to wait a month for new (to me) content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

50 cents a chapter isn’t even all that bad tho