Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

rkajdi posted:

Is that meaningful tribal hate for modern too? It might be okay, but I’m not sure if it h ate out and plague engineer.

There might be decks where one plague engineer and 1 witch's vengeance is better than two plague engineers. Its a nice card to exist even if its not immediately necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

A literal one sided wrath of God, eh?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Play.
Swamps.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vaah posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion mono black is going to be very very good come Return to Theros. I can only imagine the tears if they don't reprint Gary though.

With the way they have done return sets you aren't going to see any reprints. Just worse call backs. Gary isn't coming back.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Every sweeper is one-sided if you are doing it right.

Also, this one has very real drawbacks - not every deck with cheap creatures that you want to kill is going to be mono-tribe, and if this card becomes ubiquitous, you can bet those decks will build around it.

I do like the card a lot from a power level and design perspective. Should lead to interesting gameplay and deckbuilding decisions.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Sampatrick posted:

Nha, it’s cheaper :|

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.
There are a ton of new creature types this set. Mouse, Noble, Peasant, Warlock, am I missing anything?

Stapling Reprisal to Law-Rune Enforcer seems decent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

PEASANT

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Can't wait for my Revolutionary Europe plane coming early 2022

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I wanna make a mono black deck with the swamp guy from M20 so bad now

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

C-Euro posted:

there were definitely guns in 1848 though

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Kurieg posted:

Apparently Will/Rowan's mother is an evil witch, according to the person who read the book earlier.

Well, their birth mother is at least.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

C-Euro posted:

I am absolutely down for French Revolution plane

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

vegetables posted:

I hope this is a meta joke about how they were thinking of making “Witch” a creature type then didn’t

I think the warlock type is the Witches

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Worker type

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Finally.

https://twitter.com/scryfall/status/1171065583602827266?s=19

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Still really wish this worked with tokens. Bitterblossom + this would be amazing.

suicidesteve posted:

It's no Plague Engineer, that's for sure.
Why is it worse? -3/-3 seems like it would wipe tribal decks, and most would have decent difficulty rebuilding.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

ilmucche posted:

Still really wish this worked with tokens. Bitterblossom + this would be amazing.

Why is it worse? -3/-3 seems like it would wipe tribal decks, and most would have decent difficulty rebuilding.

It’s not necessarily worse, it’s just different. PE is cool because you can just plop it down whenever and get value from it, this card is more punishing but can be situationally less effective. The guy earlier in the thread who said that some decks will likely want one copy of both instead of two of either is right, I think.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Getting real excited about some kind of U/B grindy recursive value creature deck with this guy and Etrata The Silencer where they just keep shuffling back into your deck.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

fadam posted:

It’s not necessarily worse, it’s just different. PE is cool because you can just plop it down whenever and get value from it, this card is more punishing but can be situationally less effective. The guy earlier in the thread who said that some decks will likely want one copy of both instead of two of either is right, I think.

Ah that makes sense. Guess I'll have to look for one when the set releases

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Morophon is a peasant serf now.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Plague Engineer is a persistent effect on a creature that can also attack or trade with whatever as needed thanks to the deathtouch, and it has an easier casting cost. It’s a lot less situational and maybe even a little more powerful than a one-shot wrath effect.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Morophon is a peasant serf now.

Peasant Serf Lord.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Rag to Riches

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Plague Engineer also has the benefit of turning off 1/1 generators or strategies that rely on them, like Bitterblossom or Thopter Foundry

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

lmao you dont have to choose until resolution how miserable

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Might have to actually get back into paper standard if mono black becomes good enough, especially with Theros around the corner.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

moush posted:

Might have to actually get back into paper standard if mono black becomes good enough, especially with Theros around the corner.

Not just Theros, the Underworld specifically which is Erebos's personal domain.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have Devotion to Elspeth

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I have Devotion to Elspeth

:same:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

This is cool and interesting, but also weird. I didn't spot it's applied to both players, but not symmetricly as you get the benefits regardless of who fails to sac but you always get the benefit.

But I just realised you will be compelled to sac the enchantment itself.

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 10, 2019

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

gotta work to not have the enchantment on the board when it comes time to sac something

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Good with Gutterbones though.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You can still wait for the trigger and then sac it to something else or bounce it, and you'll get the effect.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/mtgo-standings/modern-ptq-2019-09-09#decklists

Vengevine made 10th in the PTQ

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Hogaak and Faithless Looting were good bans.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Plague Engineer is a persistent effect on a creature that can also attack or trade with whatever as needed thanks to the deathtouch, and it has an easier casting cost. It’s a lot less situational and maybe even a little more powerful than a one-shot wrath effect.

the jund players i've talked to also like it against other midrange decks, the deathtouch gives you a reliable 1-for-1 to replace all the discard spells you're looking to take out

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ban Glimpse the Unthinkable, its the only way

sorry mill brothers, gotta take one for the team

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

the jund players i've talked to also like it against other midrange decks, the deathtouch gives you a reliable 1-for-1 to replace all the discard spells you're looking to take out

They’re right, it gets boarded in a ton, even against big mana. Against valakut you can name snake and turn off some of their acceleration as an added bonus.