Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Ziggy Tzardust posted:

"The people of the UK are too dumb to know what this debate is about" - some Tory in parliament

Which is why it was totally cool and good to ask the people of the UK to decide the very simple matter of whether or not to stay in the EU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

So you're saying Nick Clegg... curbed the worst excesses of the Tories?

He's actually a time traveler from that timeline and knows he can never speak of the service he did humanity by doing what he did.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

the Labour right would be telling us we needed to compromise and find common ground with them on their new plan to pay off all the poonds Broon spent by selling anyone with a net worth of under a million pounds to the Chinese for slavery, organ farming and mineral content.

...thus ending poverty in the UK at a single stroke. Can Corbyn claim to have achieved that??

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just gonna wait for the televised version with Benedict Cumberbatch (the actor who plays the Sherlock smartmans - which is why he was clearly cast as braingenius Dom Cummy).

RIP Jeremy Brett, the only Sherlock Holmes I'll acknowledge, and an absolute stone cold fox

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Pesky Splinter posted:

Just gonna wait for the televised version with Benedict Cumberbatch (the actor who plays the Sherlock smartmans - which is why he was clearly cast as braingenius Dom Cummy).
Looking forward to the scene where he drunkenly yells at Corbyn.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Benedom Cummybatch

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ms Fuchi posted:

RIP Jeremy Brett, the only Sherlock Holmes I'll acknowledge, and an absolute stone cold fox

Some time after Hbomberguy posted his Sherlock video (pretty good breakdown and highly recommend BTW), I revisited the Jeremy Brett ones; it's loving night and day in just how charming and warm Brett is, while still having character flaws, compared to how cold and distant it's played by Cumberbatch.

I don't think I've ever seen a show get so far up its own arse quite as quickly as Sherlock - or when the writers clearly forgot they weren't writing Doctor Who.

Also, yeah Brett is loving amazing! His performance is so cat-like - that twinkle in his eye when he's interested - and that sheer, coiled, energy he has throwing himself into things. It's so great :allears:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 9, 2019

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Ms Fuchi posted:

RIP Jeremy Brett Here's to Vasily Livanov, the only Sherlock Holmes I'll acknowledge, and an absolute stone cold fox

There you go.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

He's actually a time traveler from that timeline and knows he can never speak of the service he did humanity by doing what he did.
+++ Humiliation for Looper Clegg +++

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Ms Fuchi posted:

Pesky Splinter posted:

Some time after Hbomberguy posted his Sherlock video (pretty good breakdown and highly recommend BTW), I revisited the Jeremy Brett ones; it's loving night and day in just how charming and warm Brett is, while still having character flaws, compared to how cold and distant it's played by Cumberbatch.

I don't think I've ever seen a show get so far up its own arse quite as quickly as Sherlock - or when the writers clearly forgot they weren't writing Doctor Who.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsiE8ABiztU

Brett everytime. This. This is an amazing scene. So much by saying nothing.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
elementary is a perfectly entertaining sherlock holmes show

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Elementary was way better than 'what if Sherlock Holmes, but American, and Lucy Liu is Watson' had any right to be.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Sherlock is real good and hbomberguy's video about it is uncharacteristically naff, logicking himself into having to argue that the racist one from the first season that no-one liked was actually the best.

Chuff McNothing
Sep 9, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jose posted:

annoyed it finished before they did a deepfake episode

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

josh04 posted:

Sherlock is real good and hbomberguy's video about it is uncharacteristically naff, logicking himself into having to argue that the racist one from the first season that no-one liked was actually the best.

Wrong, there are no good episodes

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Jose posted:

Wssn't it that the Sherlock guys tried to sell the rights to the US to make a show, then the US saw it was actually in the public domain, and told Sherlock to gently caress off and so Elementary was born?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Peterborough lass did a nice speech I thought.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Noxville posted:

Wrong, there are no good episodes

The showdown in the pool between Sherlock and Moriarty was drat good telly (and the payoff of it was utter shite).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

josh04 posted:

Sherlock is pretty feckin' awful. Even I could realise that before I started to think about entertainment critically.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Guavanaut posted:

+++ Humiliation for Looper Clegg +++

Underrated comment :lol:
---

Speaking of the piss Tories

quote:

The Liberal Democrats are set to officially back revoking article 50 in an attempt to position themselves as the most pro-EU political party.

Guardian political correspondent Kate Proctor reports that the move would effectively sever the chances of an alliance with Labour at a forthcoming general election.

“I relish the chance to take the fight to Boris Johnson in an election and I’m confident we’d make significant gains,” says Swinson.

“Whenever the election comes, our position is clear and unequivocal. A majority Liberal Democrat government would not renegotiate Brexit, we would cancel it by revoking article 50 and remaining in the European Union.”

---
[e]:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The showdown in the pool between Sherlock and Moriarty was drat good telly (and the payoff of it was utter shite).

Down to the acting, I like the scene where Moriarty pretends to be a regular actor whose just been paid to pretend to be this super genius by a third party, just to gaslight Sherlock. There's some pretty good acting in the series - it's just the writing loving blows most of the time.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 9, 2019

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The bomb belt looked like it had lots of plastic explosives.
If one of the snipers did shoot it to activate it, it would have killed the snipers too.
Its a cool show down sure, just loving stupid.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Sherlock had some excellent production values and was genuinely inventive with a lot of its camerawork and postproduction stuff (specifically, how it dealt with texts and the internet set kind of a trend that is still being developed to this day, but I don't really think has been improved on, and some of the sequences in the 'kill someone/anyone' episode were incredibly cleverly done with the set and backdrop changes) but was utter dreck from a story perspective. I'm slightly embarassed that I stuck with it as long as I did, especially given how genuinely bad season 4 was.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and the payoff of it was utter shite

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Pesky Splinter posted:

Go back to your constituencies, and prepare for government!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So is it possible that Boris Johnson will go down as never winning a single vote in his prime ministry?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Sherlock was novel and entertaining for the first season but it never got good, it got real bad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sexpig by night posted:

Elementary was way better than 'what if Sherlock Holmes, but American, and Lucy Liu is Watson' had any right to be.

There's a Japanese show called Ms Holmes that's apparently quite good as well, and the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law movies were fun enough. Basically the BBC Sherlock was the only one of the recent adaptations that went completely up its own rear end.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

AtomikKrab posted:

So is it possible that Boris Johnson will go down as never winning a single vote in his prime ministry?

Looking like it.

When is division on the early election?

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The DUP are making a resounding case for abortion being legal.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

njsykora posted:

There's a Japanese show called Ms Holmes that's apparently quite good as well, and the Robert Downey Jr/Jude Law movies were fun enough. Basically the BBC Sherlock was the only one of the recent adaptations that went completely up its own rear end.

yea basically most of the Holmes adaptations that were actually 'weird', either gender swapping or stuff like the Downey movies being more pulpy or whatever actually are good poo poo but the attempt to play it straight was a mess.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Pesky Splinter posted:

Seems like it'll be an uphill battle selling that policy to their senior coalition partner when they inevitably prop up a Tory government, but I have great faith in the Lib Dems' integrity, fortitude and commitment to their manifesto promises.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The first two Sherlock seasons had entertaining (if loving stupid) finales and the pilot was a good introduction. Otherwise awful.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I still think BoJo will manage to pull through. Tory PMs have recovered from harder places

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

njsykora posted:

Moffat acted like he was George Lucas but on British TV, and he was totally right, including the part where he needs a strong counterweight to tell him his initial ideas are poo poo and he needs to come up with better ones. Like Lucas, he got a bunch of yes men.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

njsykora posted:

Russia has a good version. They did a series in 2013, around Sherlock mania, but it was in original time Victorian era.
It's a good take on the duo, old wise Watson, young scamp Holmes.
Pity the eng subs are blocked on Youtube, would link them here.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The only good version of Holmes and Watson is Data and Geordi LaForge

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Pesky Splinter posted:

Also, yeah Brett is loving amazing! His performance is so cat-like - that twinkle in his eye when he's interested - and that sheer, coiled, energy he has throwing himself into things. It's so great :allears:

Jeremy Brett studied Sherlock Holmes in great detail and practically made it his life's work. I've been a Sherlock Holmes fan since I was a child and used to read the books avidly even as an 8/9 year old - and he personified Holmes to me.

I haven't got on with the Cumberpatch Holmes at all.

I also liked Peter Cushing as Holmes in the old Hound of the Baskervilles.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 9, 2019

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

suck my woke dick posted:

Moffat acted like he was George Lucas but on British TV, and he was totally right, including the part where he needs a strong counterweight to tell him his initial ideas are poo poo and he needs to come up with better ones. Like Lucas, he got a bunch of yes men.
Coupling was his best work, and the best thing about The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina is commenting over Father Faustus Blackwood, High Priest of the Church of Night's lines as Jeff.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

njsykora posted:

I saw the first episode of that on a plane. It’s an HBO co-production, and clearly has the money thrown at it. It’s heavily influenced by the BBC Moffat Sherlock, but has enough of its own spin that it carries it off well enough. I’d watch more, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The bit where Cumberbatch goes to his mind palace and projects designer brand logos out of his skull. When I saw that, I thought it had been altered to be as cringe-inducing as possible, but no, that was the original show.