Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Nostradingus posted:

Same but Enya and Bjork

This makes me think you've never heard a Björk song. For reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNxD56p_U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Enya and Enigma are one and the same; any attempt to tell me they are actually two separate entities will be perceived as lies and heresy. Or not, I don’t really care that much as to put up a fuss over it.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

KHLAV KALASHNIKOV posted:

Enya and Enigma are one and the same; any attempt to tell me they are actually two separate entities will be perceived as lies and heresy. Or not, I don’t really care that much as to put up a fuss over it.

Enya and Enigma are actually the same person, they are Gethenian and when female-presenting they perform and record as Enya; when male-presenting they perform as Enigma.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Enya and Enigma are actually the same person, they are Gethenian and when female-presenting they perform and record as Enya; when male-presenting they perform as Enigma.

:aaaaa:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Same but Dave Matthews and Bruce Springsteen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Moon Monster posted:

What the gently caress

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

The Moon Monster posted:

Lmao

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

My god it all makes sense now

The Moon Monster posted:

Perfect sense!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I don't even know, I don't listen to the music of either of them but they play occasionally on the radio. One day one of their songs played and I was just thought "wait a minute, Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews are different people, who play different music, and are in different bands.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Baron von Eevl posted:

drat you for making me look that up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't even know, I don't listen to the music of either of them but they play occasionally on the radio. One day one of their songs played and I was just thought "wait a minute, Bruce Springsteen and Dave Matthews are different people, who play different music, and are in different bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lc6F47Z6PI4

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK
Thanks to this thread I've just thought about the "Do your ears hang low" song for the first time since childhood and reflected on how odd the lyrics are. Throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier? Ears are already over the shoulder! It's almost like the naughty parodies were written first!

A cursory google later and now I know that they sang the sanitized version of a song about droopy balls on Barney and Friends.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hardcordion posted:

Thanks to this thread I've just thought about the "Do your ears hang low" song for the first time since childhood and reflected on how odd the lyrics are. Throw them over your shoulder like a continental soldier? Ears are already over the shoulder! It's almost like the naughty parodies were written first!

A cursory google later and now I know that they sang the sanitized version of a song about droopy balls on Barney and Friends.

"Wobble" is kind of an awkward word to describe ear motion, ears are more of a floppy thing.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

My balls flop around just fine tyvm.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Hipster_Doofus posted:

drat you for making me look that up.

Left Hand Of Darkness is one of the best science fiction novels ever written and a pillar of feminist literature, fight me.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

doverhog posted:

This makes me think you've never heard a Björk song. For reference https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-QNxD56p_U

Björk rhymes with jerk! So she told us.

Kinda. But definitely not the Swedish chef sound.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Not a thing I "figured out" but a thing I just noticed for the first time ever like two minutes ago:

THERE'S A FUKEN SKULL RIGHT THERE WHTA THE gently caress?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

quote:

The most notable and famous of Holbein's symbols in the work, however, is the distorted skull which is placed in the bottom center of the composition. The skull, rendered in anamorphic perspective, another invention of the Early Renaissance, is meant to be a visual puzzle as the viewer must approach the painting from high on the right side, or low on the left side, to see the form as an accurate rendering of a human skull.

Basically the 16th century equivalent of a Magic Eye or a blacklight poster.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's... wrong though. Anyone can see it's a skull without doing any gymnastics.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I'd imagine our eyes are more used to parsing an anamorphic skew due to our exposure to video, signal loss, screwing around in Photoshop etc than possibly other people of the time were.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

I didn't believe for a minute that that wasn't photoshopped in so I looked it up and welp

There must be a lot of cool poo poo dating from way back if they were doing that then.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's... wrong though. Anyone can see it's a skull without doing any gymnastics.

The original is likely way bigger than this jpeg and that would make a lot of difference wrt the visual field of the human eye

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

purple death ray posted:

The original is likely way bigger than this jpeg and that would make a lot of difference wrt the visual field of the human eye

What, so like a .tiff?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

My balls flop around just fine tyvm.

Ears being floppy doesn't make balls not floppy, I'm not tryin to attack your balls right to be floppy.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Shifty Nipples posted:

Ears being floppy doesn't make balls not floppy, I'm not tryin to attack your balls right to be floppy.

Well... all right, then. :glomp:

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Jerry Cotton posted:

Not a thing I "figured out" but a thing I just noticed for the first time ever like two minutes ago:

THERE'S A FUKEN SKULL RIGHT THERE WHTA THE gently caress?

I've seen this in person, and you only really see the skull properly when you're standing directly under the painting. It's pretty cool.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Jerry Cotton posted:

You can easily see it's a skull. Viewing it to make it look like a skull requires the weird perspective... which makes the rest of the painting look distorted.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I didn't believe for a minute that that wasn't photoshopped in so I looked it up and welp

There must be a lot of cool poo poo dating from way back if they were doing that then.

There’s a swirly pattern table with a reflective tube that stands in the middle that shows the face of the king (Charles II?) in the surface. Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Lester Shy posted:

Basically the 16th century equivalent of a Magic Eye or a blacklight poster.

Raise your hand if you just spent a good few minutes tilting your phone back and forth trying to get the skull to line up properly.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Beck the musician is criminally underrated.

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Beck the musician is criminally underrated.

He won seven Grammies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but where's his Emmy for Futurama?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

he's a god of vaguely folkish alterna-rock

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Torquemada posted:

There’s a swirly pattern table with a reflective tube that stands in the middle that shows the face of the king (Charles II?) in the surface. Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Not the same thing, but you reminded me of this 1535 woodcut by Erhard Schön, a vertically-compressed portrait of Charles V, Ferdinand I, Pope Paul III, and Francis I:

Schön also played with anamorphosis:

And speaking of reflective tubes, here's a modern one by Kelly Houle:

Placing a reflective cylinder in the center reveals a copy of Escher's Hand with Reflecting Sphere:

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Well... all right, then. :glomp:

Cool :respek:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Organza Quiz posted:

Raise your hand if you just spent a good few minutes tilting your phone back and forth trying to get the skull to line up properly.

I was on desktop so just craning my head from side to side like a dipshit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Just pick up your desk, idiot!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

he's a god of vaguely folkish alterna-rock
He's a Scientologist.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Ahaha way to ruin a bunch of people's days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

old news