Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

This thread is pretty long in the tooth, and I didn't find it anywhere in the last several pages/OP, but is there some kind of effort post/guide that could help direct me on what to do in the first 1-10 cycles or so? I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the things there are to do, but the game seems really cool so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Overdrift posted:

This thread is pretty long in the tooth, and I didn't find it anywhere in the last several pages/OP, but is there some kind of effort post/guide that could help direct me on what to do in the first 1-10 cycles or so? I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the things there are to do, but the game seems really cool so far!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1359110726

Party on my dude. Goes well beyond cycle 10.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Overdrift posted:

I don't think anyone's posted one recently, but I'll give it a shot?

Your first couple of cycles should be about securing your duplicants' most basic needs. Food, oxygen, sleep and somewhere to poop.
Sleep is the easiest to manage - you just need to build a cot for each duplicant. Check the lighting display and make sure you're not building them in the light range of the printing pod; the light will keep them awake, but other than that just slap them down anywhere to begin with. Later you'll want to build a designated room for them.

Toilets are next easiest. For these you'll want to build out a latrine room with a single entrance. Put the outhouses in the back of it, and set up wash basins between them and the door - one wash basin per outhouse. If your dupes don't wash their hands after using the toilet they'll get food poisoning everywhere, and you'll end up slowed down by disease frequently. If you put a door at the entrance, that will establish the room as an official Latrine and offer a morale bonus! Not essential at this stage but pretty nice.
The wash basins will need to be supplied with water. There are always three ponds of water in the starting biome; dig a path to the most convenient one and build a pitcher pump in it, which will let your dupes supply water to the buildings that need it.
A warning! Don't have your main water supply directly under any sort of main stairway. If duplicants fail to get to the toilet in time they'll make a mess of infected, polluted water and if that gets in your clean water cistern it'll be hell. Make your main water supply accessible from the side rather than the top.

Oxygen and food are the more vital needs overall, but you start with several cycles' worth of food and there's lots of natural oxylite providing oxygen at first. These are limited, though, and to get more you'll need power. So build a manual generator and connect it to a battery with wires. Don't worry about messing with the settings on it, by default it's good enough to keep your power topped up for now.

Now, before doing any research, your only food option is the Microbe Musher which you can use to make Mush Bars. Don't. It'll use up a surprising amount of water, and I'm fairly sure the mush bars will give your duplicants food poisoning even if all the ingredients were clean. Instead, take advantage of the buffer of food you've got between your initial rations and muckroots from around the area, and get researching farming. Build a research station and hook it up to the power. You can now go into the research screen and start researching agriculture!
While one of your duplicants researches, you can set the other two to getting your base set up nicely. Now might be a good time to start replacing your floor with tiles, as tiles can have wires and pipes run through them. Check the oxygen view of your base - if there's dark spots, it's a good place for an algae deoxydiser hooked up to the power, as the natural oxylite clearly isn't supplying enough there, or has run out.

Once the research is complete, you can build planter boxes and start growing mealwood in them. Grow as many as you can. Each duplicant requires 1000kcal of food per day, which is five mealwood plants! If you haven't found enough seeds yet, you can bulk them out in a microbe musher by producing liceloaves, which takes 1200kcal's worth of lice and turns it into 1700kcal by bulking it up with water. This isn't an ideal long-term solution, as your water supplies will dwindle, but it can stretch supplies until you've found enough mealwood seeds.

Basic Farming also comes with algae terraria, which will help clear out the carbon dioxide your duplicants exhale. CO2 sinks below O2, so build them at the bottom of the base. They don't need power but they do need to be watered, and produce polluted water.
The research also gives you compost, which lets you clean the polluted dirt from your outhouses.

By now you've probably hit the three cycle mark at least once, and been offered new duplicants from the printing pod. Always ask yourself whether you actually need one right now, as each one increases the food and oxygen demands on you - pretty significantly at this stage. Of course, it increases the pairs of hands you have available to work too, so the answer could easily by "yes".

The last of the basic tasks to set up is a septic tank. The wash basins and algae terrariums are going to be producing polluted water, and you'll want to dig out a space to store that until you have the technology to deal with it. Use an unbottler with the spout over the pit set to polluted water, and your duplicants will start decanting it in. Polluted water and dirt produce polluted oxygen, which isn't dangerous right now, but may cause problems later down the line. Better to keep it all in one place.

You've now got your basics sorted out and can start deciding for yourself what to prioritise next based on your situation. You could go for plumbing, and use pumps and pipes to get the other two water pools moved into the one you're already using. You could go for meal preparation, as the grill allows you to make usable food out of bristle blossoms. You could go for air management, as the airlocks and airflow tiles are both very important for keeping oxygen in the places you want it to be. You could go for power into Internal Combustion to automate your power supply. Most importantly, now is the time to start planning out the long-term layout of your base - the farms should be kept as far as possible from your power plants, leave plenty of rooms for barracks (and later bedrooms), and make sure there is a channel through or around the base to build heavy-watt wire as your main power spine, that is out of sight of normal operations. And once you're ready, start venturing out into the neighbouring biomes for new resources as you progress.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've got a hydrogen geyser and a cool steam geyser right next to each other.

So now I have a power producer off a cooling loop.

I made a chamber with just a thermium pump for the hydrogen chamber. On top of it it has metal tiles so the heat transfers. On top of that is the chamber with the steam geyser, the aquatuner (for the outside cooling loop and then the steam generator), the hydrogen generator and the battery.

The obvious problem is making the hydrogen chamber large enough to tide me over dormancy.

The less obvious problems are the petroleum freezing (hi aquatuners), the oxygen somehow taking up the entire top layer of the chamber and blocking the steam engine, and having to redirect half the steam engine output (and no more) back into the boil chamber to avoid running out.

Once I solved all those problems it works fine though and that thing can eat a lot of heat off aquatuners and refiners.

Overdrift
Jul 17, 2006

This is Fatherman! He fights crime to earn Sonboy's respect! Is it working?

I appreciate the tips! I'll be murdering dupes like the best of em soon enough :awesomelon:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

I made a chamber with just a thermium pump for the hydrogen chamber. On top of it it has metal tiles so the heat transfers. On top of that is the chamber with the steam geyser, the aquatuner (for the outside cooling loop and then the steam generator), the hydrogen generator and the battery.

The obvious problem is making the hydrogen chamber large enough to tide me over dormancy.

The less obvious problems are the petroleum freezing (hi aquatuners), the oxygen somehow taking up the entire top layer of the chamber and blocking the steam engine, and having to redirect half the steam engine output (and no more) back into the boil chamber to avoid running out.

Once I solved all those problems it works fine though and that thing can eat a lot of heat off aquatuners and refiners.

A more exploity way of saving hydrogen is to build a small chamber with vents on top of 2 open tiles. Put the gas input vent on the top of the 2 open tiles. Put a pump in there (A small pump might work too, not sure). Add a liquid that won't phase change to the 2 tile area until less than 1kg but more than 0kg of liquid rests over the input vent. This will let you vent gas into that chamber forever basically. Then the pump can output to your generator.

A less exploity way is either use ToolsNotIncluded to figure out how much hydrogen gets output during an entire on cycle, or use the mod that does that in game, and build a chamber that uses both gas tanks and the chamber itself to store hydrogen. You still need a pump for some of it, but you won't need a pump for the stuff in the tanks.

But this way you get double use of the space for gas storage.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, I use the second approach (if not lazy) and it works fine, and it's the obvious shortcoming.

The frozen petroleum and gases misbehaving were "huh" moments.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Use my little ploppable mid-game aquatuner design for cooling literally everything you want to cool. No vacuuming, no steel. Needs oil, polluted water, chamber water (clean or salt water work), 200kg plastic, and 1400kg of refined metal (lead is safe).

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

Sort of, it has a higher boiling point so it can handle the temperature spike from metal refining steel and to a lesser extent iron. It also can be used in steam rooms that are temperature controlled with turbines for heavily industrialized areas that are operating for the majority of a cycle. Similarly Supercoolant lets you handle really cold temperatures for liquidizing oxygen and hydrogen without solidifying and breaking pipes.

However, for normal cooling loops polluted water is the best due to it having the largest Specific Heat Capacity of the three, absorbing more heat per tile.

Technically naphtha is better than petroleum, but very few will go to the effort to obtain any, or even know it exists.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

insta posted:

Use my little ploppable mid-game aquatuner design for cooling literally everything you want to cool. No vacuuming, no steel. Needs oil, polluted water, chamber water (clean or salt water work), 200kg plastic, and 1400kg of refined metal (lead is safe).

Mine outputs power and water thanks to the circumstances.

You didn't read my post at all did you?

insta
Jan 28, 2009

endlessmonotony posted:

Mine outputs power and water thanks to the circumstances.

You didn't read my post at all did you?

I read it out of order :(

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Smiling Demon posted:

Technically naphtha is better than petroleum, but very few will go to the effort to obtain any, or even know it exists.

I've read about it a bit. I've just started plastic production so I might try using it for base cooling. That's if I can get the heat to melt the plastic in the first place. It may be time to tap the volcano with 1500C temps I sealed up in the cold biome.

https://oxygennotincluded.gamepedia.com/Naphtha

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I was just pointing out the problems I didn't figure were going to be problems until they were problems, like the petroleum freezing despite it being a hot mess.

Mostly I just wanted a way to harness the hydrogen geyser in a way that it would continue producing power forever with no interaction from me.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Melting plastic is not hard at all. I've had traps for slicksters melt just from being towards the bottom of the map with geyser temps.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Man, I've been having fun on Rime, but trying to get some darn Reed fiber production going has been a pain in the rear end. Just as I find a (cool) steam geyser it goes dormant on me for 50+ cycles and the darn duplicator won't give me any dreckos either.

Harumph.

No, a chlorine geyser doesn't help either!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the portal starts offering drecko eggs after cycle 75 or something. There are several items that have cycle thresholds like that. And some are triggered by events (e.g. research, discovering a specific material, etc.).

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
watching brothgar's video on using a volcano to run steam generators and I just realized that I've been doing doors all wrong.

I even closed off my volcano completely with insulated tile when I could have used three doors to create a vacuum space and prevent heat transfer through there. In fact I can do that everywhere in by base where I want to keep temperatures stable.

You could vacuum seal your farm or any other area you want to keep cool using doors and a pumped out space.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Hamelekim posted:

watching brothgar's video on using a volcano to run steam generators and I just realized that I've been doing doors all wrong.

I even closed off my volcano completely with insulated tile when I could have used three doors to create a vacuum space and prevent heat transfer through there. In fact I can do that everywhere in by base where I want to keep temperatures stable.

You could vacuum seal your farm or any other area you want to keep cool using doors and a pumped out space.

The problem with vacuuming an active space like that with materials inside is that it makes the items inside heat up dramatically faster since there is no medium to transfer any heat to. If you are feeding hot dirt/slime/water/whatever to those crops the heat has nowhere else to go but the plant. You need to carefully monitor what is going in and coming out, and anything that produces heat, aka any machinery at all, is now going to overheat itself much, much, much faster than it does in any sort of atmosphere. You can't simply vacuum seal everything and forget about it in that regard. In areas where dupes will not interact with anything though, you can use vacuum this way without any risk. You can create a vacuum seal between walls with the diagonal build trick or doors on a sensor as you note.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 11, 2019

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

i used to vacuum seal things like geysers that I didn't want impacting my base, or machinery with a cooling loop.

But then I made a new sandbox and filled a space with 2000deg magma with vacuum seal or igneous insulation and after 200 cycles there was no detectable difference.

Basically don't worry about vacuum sealing.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
One tile layer of insulated tile will transfer heat eventually because while the TC is low, it's still greater than zero. 2 layers of insulated tile will effectively stop transfer altogether because the two tiles TC interaction will effectively round down to zero. But yeah it's much easier to just plop down two layers of insulated tile anywhere you want a full temp barrier than messing with vacuum seals.

EDIT: Also WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS

I think it's from an automated dispenser with polluted dirt but I have no idea

Mazz fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 11, 2019

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I wanna know what seed you used to get two AETNs right next to each other like that. Would make a ton of my bases look a lot less like spaghetti fast-balled against a wall.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think there's a mod that lets you move them. Or build new ones.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah that’s the AETN mod, wheezes weren’t cutting it for how much heat I’m now producing in that area and I decided I only build them out of 4000 steel as a concession. I’m trying to keep it pretty limited but it’s nice to have the option tbh

Wheezes cool 12000 DTUs in hydrogen so an AETN is only equilvalent to ~7 wheezes, just fits in 4x4.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 11, 2019

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

One tile layer of insulated tile will transfer heat eventually because while the TC is low, it's still greater than zero. 2 layers of insulated tile will effectively stop transfer altogether because the two tiles TC interaction will effectively round down to zero. But yeah it's much easier to just plop down two layers of insulated tile anywhere you want a full temp barrier than messing with vacuum seals.

The only case you have to be careful of is extremely high temperatures such as volcanoes. Even if the TC is 0, materials adjacent to something hot enough to melt them will melt them.This melting is a mechanic separate from regular heat transfer and has been used to melt tiles made of the space-tier insulation material to get tungsten.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Mazz posted:

The problem with vacuuming an active space like that with materials inside is that it makes the items inside heat up dramatically faster since there is no medium to transfer any heat to. If you are feeding hot dirt/slime/water/whatever to those crops the heat has nowhere else to go but the plant. You need to carefully monitor what is going in and coming out, and anything that produces heat, aka any machinery at all, is now going to overheat itself much, much, much faster than it does in any sort of atmosphere. You can't simply vacuum seal everything and forget about it in that regard. In areas where dupes will not interact with anything though, you can use vacuum this way without any risk. You can create a vacuum seal between walls with the diagonal build trick or doors on a sensor as you note.

Not the room itself. You close and then open the middle door which removes all air creating a vacuum where heat cannot transfer. Probably most useful for super hot parts of your base.

But you mentioned that last. Vacuum seems useful when you want to control how the heat transfers in a room using liquid and metal.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

Hamelekim posted:

Not the room itself. You close and then open the middle door which removes all air creating a vacuum where heat cannot transfer. Probably most useful for super hot parts of your base.

But you mentioned that last. Vacuum seems useful when you want to control how the heat transfers in a room using liquid and metal.

Oh yeah metal tile with sensor automated doors sandwiched between is a good method for that. As mentioned though it’s really only necessary when you want to temperature control very specifically; like only letting steam get to 200C exactly via toggling the doors to let heat in from a magma chamber. For most other situations, like insulating farms as you mentioned, a couple layers of insulated tile will prevent all temperature transfer just fine. Also note that to maintain the seal you need the entrance to be 3 doors with the middle automated to open when the other 2 are closed, otherwise that entrance will be a major weak point for temps.
Anywhere dupes have to enter unfortunately suffers this problem w/o a fix like this. There’s a mod for insulated doors but I really hope Klei adds them soon instead; it’s so obvious a thing. Of course YMMV and after that initial learning curve the fun part of this game is getting creative and over engineering poo poo to see if you can.

One thing to note. Powered airlocks don’t actually need to be powered to be automated, they just operate slower as expected. Saves you some metal, especially if you have enough doors to require conductive wire.

Smiling Demon posted:

The only case you have to be careful of is extremely high temperatures such as volcanoes. Even if the TC is 0, materials adjacent to something hot enough to melt them will melt them.This melting is a mechanic separate from regular heat transfer and has been used to melt tiles made of the space-tier insulation material to get tungsten.

True, I’ve boxed in a iron volcano very tightly and Im slowly watching the inner wall turn to magma this map. I have more iron than I’ll ever need for Steel so I’m just waiting to see how long it takes to pop.

EDIT: VVVV I just realized I used to do that and that’s why I didn’t have any melting, thanks

Mazz fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 11, 2019

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Smiling Demon posted:

An inner lair of obsidian is good for that. The melting point of obsidian insulated tiles is generally higher than anything that comes out of volcanoes. Even if the volcano spits out something slightly hotter it's highly unlikely that the obsidian will ever get anywhere near hot enough to actually melt; this is especially true if you have some heat deletion mechanism handy. Typically I'll do an inner layer of obsidian then an outer layer of igneous. The obsidian will suck up some heat but not nearly enough to actually do anything to it. The igneous will then just kind of hang around being slightly warmer than the air around it.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 11, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I've been using steam for cooling my steel aquatuners and have been pleasantly surprised that the difference between said aquatuner and coolant temp is like 0.5C even when it's working full blast.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Is there any good way to build a heat transfer device in vacuum without flowing liquids, solids or gases? I tried to build tempshift plates in vacuum to cool down my robominers, but it doesn't look like they interact with adjacent tempshift plates, so they aren't doing anything. I guess the only alternative would be either (1) walls or (2) something goofy like open doors, right?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
What I did was build just enough drywall to encompass the robo-miner and a vent, then pump out the contents of a polluted oxygen vent so the 60C gas would eventually cool things down. It's been working so far, though with it being dormant the temps are creeping up to 200C+ levels. I might have to throw in an alternative gas (or switch to thermite!).

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
If you have extra water to do it with you can just make oxygen and use it for that, it was my go to option.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme
You really have to be careful with your O2 production when you have high pressure vents. I ended up using all my water up because I was pumping out too much O2. Need to add in some sensors to stop oxygen production when the pressure gets to high to save water.

It would almost be worth it to use atmos suits almost exclusively outside of the sleep/eat/entertainment areas of the base. That way you would drastically decrease O2 use.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Or just don't use high pressure vents.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you don't really have a reason to use high pressure vents for oxygen distribution, especially not if you're just going to regulate them down again with automation. A normal vent has a 2kg/tile cutoff built right in.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hamelekim posted:

You really have to be careful with your O2 production when you have high pressure vents. I ended up using all my water up because I was pumping out too much O2. Need to add in some sensors to stop oxygen production when the pressure gets to high to save water.

It would almost be worth it to use atmos suits almost exclusively outside of the sleep/eat/entertainment areas of the base. That way you would drastically decrease O2 use.

It *IS* worth it to use atmo suits exclusively outside of the sleep/eat/poop area. Once I get atmo suits established I lock off every other entrance/exit to my base and force everyone to use suits as much as possible. They are amazing boosts and once you get suit wearing have zero downsides.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Except for the moral tank of the skills to move faster than a snail's pace wearing one.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Eh, it's just 6 morale in a skill line that you want for your dupes anyway.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Even without that skill its still a huge improvement. If I have the chance to stick someone in a suit I will, skill or not. The time loss/stress generation from holding their breath then breaking off from what they're doing to run however far they have to, to find O2 and stand around breathing before running back are huge hits to productivity. They may get there slower without the skill but then they don't have to leave or generate stress. Just do the job.

Then you eventually get the skill anyway and it's nothing but massive bonuses.

insta
Jan 28, 2009
My dorms require suits to leave. I'm on a Volcanea map so most everything is hot oxygen and 1200-degree superboulders of obsidian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Hamelekim posted:

That way you would drastically decrease O2 use.

This isn't a thing. Dupes consume oxygen at the same rate, whether in or out of a suit.