Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Timby posted:

(Frank McCourt's Dodgers had to do the same one time, and Selig used that as an excuse to force him to sell the team, but he was always buddy-buddy with the Wilpons so he let them pass.)

The McCourts were on a whole other level of dysfunctional. AFAIK the Mets never hired a Rasputin wannabe to send cosmic positive vibes to help the team win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Traxis posted:

The McCourts were on a whole other level of dysfunctional. AFAIK the Mets never hired a Rasputin wannabe to send cosmic positive vibes to help the team win.

Oh, I know the McCourts were completely out of control, just saying that they did the exact same thing the Wilpons did--taking team money and using it as their personal piggy bank, then winding up under water because of it--and they didn't get the same free hall pass.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
https://twitter.com/erinleecarr/status/1170061368260775936

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

He thinks literally everything should be 15-60 minutes shorter. His attention span went to poo poo after he moved to SoCal.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

A lot of documentaries are too long but I thought that one was perfect. Heck, you could probably expand it out if you wanted to go into more detail.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Redgrendel2001 posted:

He thinks literally everything should be 15-60 minutes shorter. His attention span went to poo poo after he moved to SoCal.

Haven't seen the doc in question, but most movies should be shorter

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Oh, I know the McCourts were completely out of control, just saying that they did the exact same thing the Wilpons did--taking team money and using it as their personal piggy bank, then winding up under water because of it--and they didn't get the same free hall pass.

they got the parking lots though

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

they got the parking lots though

One of the most majestically scummy scams in history.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Ungratek posted:

The Bonilla contract was actually good from a TVM standpoint! I will die on this hill.

What the Mets did with the money available to them as they pushed into the horizon was the problem.

My issue with it is people every year are like lol Bobby Bonilla gets paid today! Even though there are a ton of other guys getting more money, and for longer. It's not that unusual!

(edit) is Molly Knight the person who defended a ballplayer who everyone hated by saying "well he was nice to ME and always blah blah blah" and then people explained "hey genius he was flirting with you"

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ElwoodCuse posted:

My issue with it is people every year are like lol Bobby Bonilla gets paid today! Even though there are a ton of other guys getting more money, and for longer. It's not that unusual!

(edit) is Molly Knight the person who defended a ballplayer who everyone hated by saying "well he was nice to ME and always blah blah blah" and then people explained "hey genius he was flirting with you"

https://bustedcoverage.com/2018/07/01/someone-listed-all-of-the-future-mlb-deferred-payments-in-honor-bobby-bonilla-day/

Wow who knew Bruce Sutter is still being paid money?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/1170386565131980802
:yikes:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Holy gently caress :gonk:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
What the gently caress is wrong with Jason Whitlock?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I never thought I'd see a worse tweet than the beto cramping calves one but here we are

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

the worst part of capitalism is that at least one person on earth needs money so badly they'd agree to have sex with Jason Whitlock.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Brown also immediately signed with the Patriots so nice work there Whitlock

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

BWV posted:

the worst part of capitalism is that at least one person on earth needs money so badly they'd agree to have sex with Jason Whitlock.

lmao

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BWV posted:

Big bitches need love too craig

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

whitlock calf cramps

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/freep/status/1170855190871838720?s=20

lmao

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

I didn't get a chance to see this tweet but it appears that Jason Whitlock deleted his twitter account.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1171045060923670529?s=20

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Uterine Lineup posted:

I didn't get a chance to see this tweet but it appears that Jason Whitlock deleted his twitter account.

https://twitter.com/lib_crusher/status/1171045060923670529?s=20

:discourse:

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

...and he's back as of four minutes ago

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Yeah he did it so you couldn't quote tweet him for awhile.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Niwrad posted:

Yeah he did it so you couldn't quote tweet him for awhile.

It's even dumber than that https://thebiglead.com/2019/09/09/jason-whitlock-twitter-deletion-explanation/

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
The Athletic's newest marketing strategy (at least, that's what I think this is) to entice more subscribers:

https://twitter.com/RussoHockey/status/1171811878970019841?s=20

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Isn't that more or less what The Daily is for the NYT?

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Niwrad posted:

Isn't that more or less what The Daily is for the NYT?

yeah

i also heard about espn starting a similar podcast soon

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Am I the only one who has been noticing a lot more clickbait around The Athletic lately

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Huh?

If you mean articles about them, then probably they are probably making a huge push for subscribers now. But also I dunno about how an article about a podcast they are starting in Bloomberg is cliclbait...

If you mean on the site then I haven't noticed it on the team pages I visit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Am I the only one who has been noticing a lot more clickbait around The Athletic lately

Their headlines definitely have gotten more clickbaity. not sure if some of that is just that the summer is a more dead period or what.

E: the articles themselves still seem to largely be solid

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Baseball pennant races and the NFL in general bring out the hot takes

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Or that they're already running low on venture capital and desperately trying to attract more

The inevitable Pivot To Video might be sooner than we think :unsmigghh:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No one is pivoting to video anymore. If anything they gave to let people go or close up shop, but I don't see a pivot to video coming. As everyone knows it was based on lies

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I wish you'd pivot...to good posting!!!

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The new thing is pivot to cuneiform

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Peanut President posted:

I wish you'd pivot...to good posting!!!

literally impossible.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

As everyone knows it was based on lies
That's putting it lightly.

The next pivot will be to dramatic readings of whatever articles people are writing. Would you like Alex Jones to read a hot take about why the Celtics need to trade everything and tank for LeBron James' son? I'm sure you would.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

That's putting it lightly.

The next pivot will be to dramatic readings of whatever articles people are writing. Would you like Alex Jones to read a hot take about why the Celtics need to trade everything and tank for LeBron James' son? I'm sure you would.

That can't be worse than Ed Kemper (of Netflix's Mindhunter, and more significantly, serial killing many women fame) narrating a shitload of Audiobooks for the blind, including Star Wars. He even won a couple of awards for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

We Got Us A Bread posted:

That can't be worse than Ed Kemper (of Netflix's Mindhunter, and more significantly, serial killing many women fame) narrating a shitload of Audiobooks for the blind, including Star Wars. He even won a couple of awards for it.

What's the difference between audiobooks for the blind and normal audiobooks?