Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah but have you considered the visceral experience of Rosetta Stoned being about eating Krispy Kreme and Taco Bell while high af on LSD?

If you read up on the supposed patient (Albert Hoffman) and the doctor (R Gordon Wasson) it's even better....although there's no reason the doctor would have an English accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lankster NZ
Jul 21, 2007

Chalk me up as another one who never really got into 10,000 days despite Tool being my favourite band during my teens/early twenties.

I think by then I'd moved onto a wider range of music and didn't really have the patience for an album like that. Having to work full time, instead of being able to laze around as a student, stoned, with flatmates who were also fans, probably didn't help either.

My favourite Tool moment was seeing the Lateralus tour here in New Zealand (we love them here, per capita we're their biggest market) and crowd surfing in the pit during The Grudge. Floating on top of the massive crowd right in front of the band was something else. First and only time I ever crowd surfed, but drat was it good. And yeah the body painted contortionist dancers were the poo poo.

As far as FI goes, ehhh it's alright, definitely has it's moments but like many have said, I think some tighter song structures wouldn't be a bad thing. Need to listen more though and revisit 10k.

Also, what really drew me to tool was their whole aesthetic, with the videos and visuals complimenting the music so well and to create a cohesive atmosphere. I haven't really had that feeling since Lateralus. Speaking of, any idea if there will be any Adam Jones created videos for this album?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

il_cornuto posted:

The title track is easily the best thing about 10,000 days. They might be known for playing with time signatures and being an "intellectual" band but Tool have always been at their best when some emotion comes through IMO, which is probably why I like Aenima the best. 10,000 days actually being about something personal instead of philisophical musings on the failings of mankind makes it hit a lot harder.

Very true

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Nail Rat posted:

Yeah but have you considered the visceral experience of Rosetta Stoned being about eating Krispy Kreme and Taco Bell while high af on LSD?

If you read up on the supposed patient (Albert Hoffman) and the doctor (R Gordon Wasson) it's even better....although there's no reason the doctor would have an English accent.

Australian surely

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

il_cornuto posted:

The title track is easily the best thing about 10,000 days. They might be known for playing with time signatures and being an "intellectual" band but Tool have always been at their best when some emotion comes through IMO, which is probably why I like Aenima the best. 10,000 days actually being about something personal instead of philisophical musings on the failings of mankind makes it hit a lot harder.

See I kind of think the same thing but have a different conclusion about the quality of the song. My problem with the song is that the emotion of the music doesn’t match the emotion of the lyrical and thematic content. It’s bland, repetitive, and just doesn’t deliver the visceral impact that so many of their other songs have. It should be a killer song, one of their most soaring epics, yet it’s kind of a dud musically. This might have something to do with their songwriting process, Maynard just comes along at the end and lays down lyrics on songs that were already written without any particular theme in mind. A more collaborative approach might have resulted in a more fitting song. I like every other song on the album but those two tracks were such a disappointment that it drags the whole album down. It’s below FI in my ranking.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
At least 10,000 Days has some memorable hooks.

So I finished my dork rear end fan edit of Fear Inoculum. My main beef with the album is when the progression of the songs grinds to a halt so Adam could do monotonous open D chugging for 16 measures, followed by another 16 measures of drum and bass grooves while he sustains 3 notes over and over, and this happens in a lot of the tracks. Or those moments of repeating, uninteresting plodding power chords that sound like my first garage band.

I tried to tighten all that poo poo up. I barely edited the title track, otoh l just straight up excised the last third of Culling Voices and turned it into an interlude, and chopped the hell out of Tempest. Pretty much every song has something rearranged here or there. I ran them all through a de-crackle to curb a good portion of the clipping static too.

I know it's ocd as hell, but eh, it was a fun exercise, and I do think the overall song structure/progression is improved with some liberal editing.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Upload please

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

When 10,000 Days was released there was a good contingent of the online Tool fan community who were convinced that it was a "decoy" album and the real one would surely be different! Specifically the major theory hinged around The Pot being an outtake from the Undertow days that was recorded in the 90s. Tool fans are weird.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

my bony fealty posted:

Tool fans are weird.*

*see also: fan edits of albums that are already really good

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

my bony fealty posted:

Tool fans are weird.

As a Tool fan, I totally agree.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Same.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Your mommy kills animals! I bet you didn't know that.
Yeah, guys, but we're def not those Tool fans, right? Right??
poo poo.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I was there for the fake 10k days theory, I bought it entirely and was in deep. Good times.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

No you see you take both 10,000 Days track, reverse one of them, and patch in another song, and play them at the same time! That's the real track!

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

ICHIBAHN posted:

I was there for the fake 10k days theory, I bought it entirely and was in deep. Good times.

I took the edgy position that I could definitely tell Justin was using a fretless bass on some of the songs so they had to have been newly recorded. Being 15 was cool.

To be fair to everyone Tool did pull the "fake tracklist" thing before Lateralus so of course the logical next step was FAKE ALBUM

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Absolutely, it a lot of people being hopeful because I guess 10k Days appeared to be a little short on songs.

Same thing happened with King of Limbs.

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012

Totally Huge posted:

Anyway, my live Tool story is that the second time I saw them (I think it was in Dallas, and definitely just after Lateralus released) I was on the floor right up against the fence in front of the stage. It was awesome. I was so psyched when they started Parabol because I knew Parabola was next. During the latter song the pressure from all of the people behind me kind of caused me black out for a few seconds during the entire little guitar solo that I was so excited to hear. I came back to life right after that part and there was huge red glitter falling from the sky - and maybe a big red beach ball being bounced around? Maybe I'm making up the beach ball bit. It was surreal. I saved a piece of the red foil glitter. Thanks for listening.
I was at this show and don't remember glitter or beach balls but I do remember being disgusted at the guy who wanted 15 dollars a gram for mushrooms.
For whatever reason, that seemed so completely unreasonable to me at the time. Now I'm 37 and would gladly pay double that if I knew where to find them and my wife and kids were gone for the weekend.

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

dick wizard posted:

I was at this show and don't remember glitter or beach balls but I do remember being disgusted at the guy who wanted 15 dollars a gram for mushrooms.
For whatever reason, that seemed so completely unreasonable to me at the time. Now I'm 37 and would gladly pay double that if I knew where to find them and my wife and kids were gone for the weekend.

I am probably wrong about which tour it was. But the glitter thing definitely happened during Parabola one of the 2 times I saw them. It was pretty cool.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Yes I remember a rain of red glitter. I remember some rumor that sounds especially weird in retrospect that Danny Carey had somehow destroyed his drum set and turned it into confetti which they dropped on the crowd. Who knows.

Reminiscing about that Lateralus tour does make me miss those last years of monoculture where it felt like not every music or film event was transient and quickly forgotten or ignored by 99% of the population.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I haven't bought concert tickets in a long while, and it's nuts how much worse it is now. For the Lateralus tour, I got up early, logged on, refreshed a couple of times, and bam, I had GA tickets where I was on the front rail. Now, my friend had to wait in a virtual randomized line for nothing and spend over a grand on a resale site for 3 decent tickets. No way in hell I'm going to that.

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

The glitter thing was, I believe, on the second leg of the Lateralus tour. I'm pretty sure they used it when they came back around to AZ (this time Tucson) in...I wanna say 2002? And I know for sure they used it at Radio City in 2003, because I leaned over to my friend and said something like, "All that glitter's made out of the drummer's old kit." Yeah, I didn't buy the decoy thing with the 10,000 Days leak, but I've certainly bought into my fair share of silly Tool poo poo in my time. Also, did you know Danny records his drum parts in rooms pumped full of helium because it's thinner than oxygen and really captures the dynamics he's looking for?

And yeah, ticket buying sucks rear end now. The fact that Ticketmaster allows "verified resellers" to gobble up tickets and then come back in and fleece their customers for two, three, four times the original price is disgusting.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I remember the "10,000 Days is a decoy" theory too. Never bought into it but remember being a bit underwhelmed by the album regardless, probably because I'd heard half of it via leaked tracks. (I wasn't into file sharing at the time so I remember hopping around to different MySpace pages that had 1 or 2 new tracks in the pages' music player - they'd stay up for a day at most before getting taken down. Christ I'm old.) It's not my favorite album but it's got some drat good stuff on there, Wings and Rosetta in particular.

Anyway, love the new album. Do not at all love the fact that my bank thought my attempted Ticketmaster purchase was a fraudulent charge. Gonna hit up StubHub in a month or two and see if the prices die down.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The best way for them to combat scalpers would be to play multiple nights in every city. The tickets for Chicago are a little under twice face value on stubhub right now. If they were playing two shows, the incentive to scalp would be minimal at best and you'd end up with only legit resales (I don't think I've ever made money on tickets I've resold, but sometimes poo poo comes up and you just can't go).

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Fear Inoculum debuted at #1 on the Billboard 200, beating Taylor Swift and confusing a bunch of teens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56Cqbk9CJz8

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Nail Rat posted:

The best way for them to combat scalpers would be to play multiple nights in every city. The tickets for Chicago are a little under twice face value on stubhub right now. If they were playing two shows, the incentive to scalp would be minimal at best and you'd end up with only legit resales (I don't think I've ever made money on tickets I've resold, but sometimes poo poo comes up and you just can't go).

They're playing two shows in LA and when I logged on late, the resale prices were minimum $300 per ticket for the nosebleed, worst seats in the arena. I have no idea what they started at but I thought that seemed high. Certainly higher than I would pay for anything but maybe a farewell tour, and definitely higher than I would be willing to pay for a tour supporting this record. I would have liked to see them with Killing Joke opening.

I read an article a while back that profiled a pioneer of the commercial ticket-scalping industry, and a major point that the guy made was that if these companies were successful reselling tickets for such high prices, then they weren't priced correctly in the first place. Which sucks, because that means the average fan gets priced out of the opportunity to see their favorite bands, and the only solution seems to be for bands to do multiple runs per city, which I don't think is very feasible- a lot of groups will do the 2 shows a night thing, but I don't know if goes far enough to fix the issue; I've known a lot of people willing to pay for both shows, especially when bands like Metallica have a habit of playing different setlists on those two nights.

I guess personalized, fanclub sales might help but I'm also not paying a band 50 bucks for the privilege of just getting in line. My major concert-going years were pre-internet ticket sales. I can't imagine what it's like for kids growing up today, I never would have been able to afford a show the way it is today.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I found it crazy that Ticketmaster owns the next largest ticket resale business behind stubhub. They actually profit off of ticket resales, so it's their largest area of income growth now. They're probably buying the drat tickets themselves and reselling them on their own site.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I remember the good old days of lining up at Ticketmaster outlets before they opened to make sure to get tickets. Sigh

As for seeing Tool live, I have seen them twice, once pre-10,000 Days and once to support the album. The first time I saw them I was blown away by the live show but the second time I was kind of bored. The visuals were always great but the band just...stood there. There was no energy from the band, and it was strange saying Maynard who is usually a beast on stage just refusing to move from his spot while singing the songs. As much as I like visuals at live shows, I also enjoy watching a band create energy and feed off the crowd.
I guess I got into Tool around about Lateralus but my fave album is Aenima. I don't hate 10,000 Days like others do, and a lot of songs have grown on me over the years (except the Pot which I can't really stand now), At least 10,000 Days have songs that sound rocking (Jambi) and have hooks. I haven't listened to the new album in a few days and I can say that I hardly remember what any of the new songs even sound like.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
I just looked at one of my tickets from the Aenima era and it was $17.50, which the internet tells me would be about $28 now. That was my favorite era in terms of live show.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

There are plenty of real good bands who tour for 30-40 nowadays, but you gotta really drive a money truck up to Maynard to make him put down his wine glass.

The less you need money, the more you can ask for...that's capitalism.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Listerine posted:

I just looked at one of my tickets from the Aenima era and it was $17.50, which the internet tells me would be about $28 now. That was my favorite era in terms of live show.

I payed something like 30 bucks to see Tool in 1998, then just under 100 dollars 50 bux? (my brain is rotting I can't remember now) to see NIN and APC in 2000, and I remember thinking 100 dollars was way too much but it was such a good show and worth it, but surely that price was not normal...now everything is 300 minimum for bad seats...I already had a ton of reasons to avoid large gatherings of people, now it's just economically impossible.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 9, 2019

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Well I would only expect a band's ticket price to go up as they get more successful, and I just looked up the original sale prices for this tour, which appear to range between about $60-140, that seems more or less ok. It's the secondary market that seems outrageous and Tool isn't making that money.

What do Maynard's side gigs go for nowadays? I think the last time I saw him was with Puscifer ten years ago, and they didn't even sell out the venue.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Listerine posted:

Well I would only expect a band's ticket price to go up as they get more successful, and I just looked up the original sale prices for this tour, which appear to range between about $60-140, that seems more or less ok. It's the secondary market that seems outrageous and Tool isn't making that money.

What do Maynard's side gigs go for nowadays? I think the last time I saw him was with Puscifer ten years ago, and they didn't even sell out the venue.

Puscifer makes its money on expensive merch, which he has a LOT of...but as for ticket prices it's never occurred to me to go to a Puscifer show.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Puscifer's got a lotta overhead on this brick and mortar

I would much rather see Volto than Puscifer.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Listerine posted:

I remember hearing that the last APC tour was terribly underperforming that tickets would eventually end up on discount through sites like Groupon.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Madkal posted:

I remember hearing that the last APC tour was terribly underperforming that tickets would eventually end up on discount through sites like Groupon.

Having saw them on the reunion tour in 2010, good. I saw both the Mer de Noms and Thirteenth Step shows in Vegas and they were pretty bad.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

LifeSunDeath posted:

Puscifer's got a lotta overhead on this brick and mortar

I would much rather see Volto than Puscifer.

I enjoyed Puscifer live more than the last Perfect Circle show I went to. I think I've seen APC three times? During the last one, which was in a gym at UNH, Maynard berated the audience for not dancing, and proceeded to lie down and sing one song on his back.

I always wondered how his shops actually do- Jerome is a tourist stop, I don't know how much traffic it gets during the year, but I imagine a good number of people passing through stop in for the wine without knowing anything about Maynard. It's not like there's a ton of other places to hang out or eat and drink, I think maybe two other places? The Puscifer store has the barber shop, the records, and other poo poo that tourists who don't know what Puscifer is might pick up. They also package mail orders there. Real estate isn't particularly pricey in Jerome, I wonder if he just owns the buildings outright.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Listerine posted:

I enjoyed Puscifer live more than the last Perfect Circle show I went to. I think I've seen APC three times? During the last one, which was in a gym at UNH, Maynard berated the audience for not dancing, and proceeded to lie down and sing one song on his back.

I always wondered how his shops actually do- Jerome is a tourist stop, I don't know how much traffic it gets during the year, but I imagine a good number of people passing through stop in for the wine without knowing anything about Maynard. It's not like there's a ton of other places to hang out or eat and drink, I think maybe two other places? The Puscifer store has the barber shop, the records, and other poo poo that tourists who don't know what Puscifer is might pick up. They also package mail orders there. Real estate isn't particularly pricey in Jerome, I wonder if he just owns the buildings outright.

It seems like a beautiful place, but very low key, I have a feeling he pays more money than he makes out of it but that's his choice.
view from the street:

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Jerome is a weird loving town and it rules.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Lots of little weird places like that in Arizona, I hope to move back in retirement. Not sure if I'd want to commit to Jerome 24/7 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skitz
Apr 11, 2003

Listerine posted:

Lots of little weird places like that in Arizona, I hope to move back in retirement. Not sure if I'd want to commit to Jerome 24/7 though.

You certainly wouldn't have to. You could go full snowbird and just chase good weather around Arizona year-round and see enough cool poo poo and neat history to last you a long, long time. People largely aside, it really is a pretty spectacular state. As you obviously know.