Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Spanish Inquisition
Oct 26, 2006
LISTEN TO THIS SHITTY SONG BY MY SHITTY BAND! used tire.mp3

harperdc posted:

Looking at actual apartment listings is going to be a bit of a misnomer because most places are 1- to 2-year leases, and that itself is going to require visas and proof of residence.

The short-term places are going to be more for expats on ridiculous contracts, for your use case AirBnb in the suburbs is likely better.

I'm finding a ton of results using the short-term rental filter on GaiginPot. I'm not sure I understand. If there are short-term rentals available, what difference does our motive for renting make? Are they going to inquire about our reason for renting? AirBnB seems pricier and less convenient for what we are looking for. FWIW my sister and I will be working remotely and will need a private space during this time, so share houses / hostels won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Spanish Inquisition posted:

I'm finding a ton of results using the short-term rental filter on GaiginPot. I'm not sure I understand. If there are short-term rentals available, what difference does our motive for renting make? Are they going to inquire about our reason for renting? AirBnB seems pricier and less convenient for what we are looking for. FWIW my sister and I will be working remotely and will need a private space during this time, so share houses / hostels won't work.

If you find something that works it works. Foreigner oriented short term rentals tend to be massively overpriced but depending on your period of time it might be the only realistic option.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Was a p decce typhoon. Messed this tree up good.

Also :rip: my rosemary.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

fuzzy_logic posted:

The notes are a good idea, thanks all for the suggestions :peanut: also looks like a few places I'm going have complexes of shrines and then one central large temple that does all of the stamps, so I'll have to figure out how to navigate that. Luckily the very first place I'm staying is Asakusa so I can easily pick up a book there!

At Sensoji the place for the goshuin is sorta in the northeast corner of the temple grounds more over by the Asakusa shrine IIRC. Probably easiest to find by looking for the area that is less packed with Chinese tourists.

I was going to recommend a small sento that's a few blocks over from Sensoji but it looks like it closed permanently in May, bummer.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

My friend's UK hair dryer was stupid underpowered here. England is a primitive, beastly country.
Hm, maybe my best bet is just to buy travel hairdyers and straighteners that can work with with a straight up plug converter.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I'd just buy one here for :10bux: and leave it on the way out.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hair dryers are provided just about everywhere, so you can pretty safely leave that behind.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don Quixote, mate

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

peanut posted:

Don Quixote, mate
The most obvious answer that I somehow missed!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m flying into Kansai International in January and staying for about 10 days (the 13th to the 24th) and planning on hitting up Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe, and Nara. Is there any goon approved things to see & do in the region? I’m looking for more off the beaten path type stuff, not a big fan of more touristy places.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Taintrunner posted:

I’m looking for more off the beaten path type stuff, not a big fan of more touristy places.

What does this mean? Are there secret goon-only places that tourists aren't allowed?

You ask for "off the beaten path" but you're in the most tourist place in Japan. Anywhere interesting is going to be full of tourists or suck. Just walk down a random road and hey look, you're off the beaten path! Surprise, there's nothing here except some people's homes and maybe a neighborhood izakaya. Go in, have a good time. Congratulations on your success.

If you want off the beaten path, go to a prefecture you've never heard of. Even then, there will still be tourists - they'll just be mostly Japanese.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That area is tourist central. You can get away pretty well from the pure tourist experience by staying out in the suburbs or going to a city that specifically isn’t tourist focused (like Nagoya).

But seriously, do the tourist stuff. It’s fine, it’s cool. Just don’t get hung up on I HAVE TO HAVE THE BEST POSSIBLE X.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
The prefectures where nobody goes rule

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

The prefectures where nobody goes rule

Oita and Kagoshima ftw

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Sorry that naked festivals seem to be in February.

All Japan list of fire festivals.
http://www.iyashibox.com/season_info/himaturi.htm

The 3 day weekend in January is a common time for bonfires but most of them are local. I like my town's bonfire, but the 5:30am ferry is a little rough.
https://niihama.mypl.net/article/stuff-news_niihama/20139

There's another one by the mountains that I heard of for the first time last year. :sax: I'm having trouble finding anything about it online.

Nara and anywhere with shrines should have something similar. Image search どんど焼き.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

The Great Autismo! posted:

Oita and Kagoshima ftw

Saga, the prefecture so dull a second-rate comedian got briefly very famous for his song about just how dull and backwards it is.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Giant Ethicist posted:

Saga, the prefecture so dull a second-rate comedian got briefly very famous for his song about just how dull and backwards it is.

I tried looking for an airb'n'b in Saga and airb'n'b was like "maybe u mean fukuoka"

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Giant Ethicist posted:

My friend works for one of the largest Japan-tourism websites and when I asked him where to go in Saga, he had nothing for me.

When I asked a Japanese person from Saga, living in Saga now, what's good, all she could suggest was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagoya_Castle_(Hizen_Province)

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
A friend was once talking to a Japanese guy who had been living in Kobe at the time of the big earthquake. She asked him what Kobe was like just after the earthquake and he said "It was terrible, it looked like Saga"

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Zombie Land Saga just got renewed for a second season. It's a cartoon about how boring and lame Saga is and how much cooler it would be if there were zombies who did song and dance routines there.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Bloodnose posted:

Zombie Land Saga just got renewed for a second season. It's a cartoon about how boring and lame Saga is and how much cooler it would be if there were zombies who did song and dance routines there.

It's also responsible for a not-insignificant boost to tourism in Saga.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

be the dancing zombie you want to see in the world

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Saga: what we used to drive through to get to Fukuoka.

Apparently there was a Thai drama recently set in Saga so that’s creating a random tourist connection there? Kind of cruel place to send people but eh.

Only other thing I can seriously recommend is the pottery in Arita.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I got drunk at a Sagan Tosu match in 2014, that owned

totalnewbie posted:

My friend works for one of the largest Japan-tourism websites and when I asked him where to go in Saga, he had nothing for me.

When I asked a Japanese person from Saga, living in Saga now, what's good, all she could suggest was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagoya_Castle_(Hizen_Province)

when my parents came to visit we went to Karatsu castle on our way home from Oita, which they enjoyed, but tbh they would have enjoyed literally anything

(edit: we went to a different castle when my parents were here, we stopped at Karatsu castle when we were going to a weekend hotel/onsen in Nagasaki in 2016)

also I went to the saga international balloon fiesta last year which was p good, my son loved it and I guess that's all that really matters to me at this point

anyway I can't imagine even 1% of this thread gives even a tenth of a poo poo about Saga, so I'll move along

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 10, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I give a poo poo about it. I bet I could have a great time there.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

I give a poo poo about it. I bet I could have a great time there.

you sound like a glass-is-half-full type of guy, what are you doing here on SA

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Look at all these too cool for school goons pretending they don't know of last year's breakout anime hit "zombieland saga" about a man who makes zombies into pop idols to spur tourism in Saga.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
No spoilers please.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Look at all these too cool for school goons pretending they don't know of last year's breakout anime hit "zombieland saga" about a man who makes zombies into pop idols to spur tourism in Saga.

I have no idea if this is satire or not and I’m not going to look

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

LimburgLimbo posted:

I have no idea if this is satire or not and I’m not going to look

it's a good show

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

A young wannabe singer dies unexpectedly, awakens as a zombie, and learns her mysterious benefactor expects her to form a musical group with other zombies as part of a campaign to inspire the people of a culturally stagnant Japanese prefecture.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is this what SaGa Frontier is about???

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

The Great Autismo! posted:

you sound like a glass-is-half-full type of guy, what are you doing here on SA

i'm certainly not. i just like inaka.

Magna Kaser posted:

i haven't seen a second of it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

mikeycp posted:

i'm certainly not. i just like inaka.

as someone who has spent a good chunk of time in the kyushu inaka since 2014, I can indeed confirm that the it absolutely owns

there used to be a Japan GBS picture thread where I posted a bunch of pictures but I don't have plat anymore bc I got banned for shitposting so I can't find it

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 10, 2019

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i'm honestly happier farting around in inaka than i am doing Things in a city

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
pls stop talking about kyushu because it's making miss Japan thx.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Whenever everyone here says "inaka" they just mean the countryside right? Or is there some specific cultural thing I'm missing?

Please explain to me, my nakama.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Inaka means family.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Question Mark Mound posted:

Whenever everyone here says "inaka" they just mean the countryside right? Or is there some specific cultural thing I'm missing?

Please explain to me, my nakama.

yes. but i say inaka to clarify that i mean japanese countryside specifically.

you wouldn't catch me in rural america, for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
There's Tokyo-ite inaka which is like, Utsunomiya.

And then there's inaka which would just be a "small town" by western standards.

And then there's inaka inaka where there truly is nothing but already-dead towns that hasn't had a new birth since the 20th century.

Take your pick.