Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

THE SEASON HAS TO END ON A CLIFFHANGER!!! the only way they could hold on to their streaming subscribers

or so that's what the producers etc seemed to think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

THE SEASON HAS TO END ON A CLIFFHANGER!!! the only way they could hold on to their streaming subscribers

or so that's what the producers etc seemed to think

They had a good cliffhanger/stinger thing with Deadshot coming out of retirement. But they put that extra poo poo in with him at the end so...

was he just like.. living his retirement like a homeless guy in a lovely warehouse?? And begrudgingly returned to his palatial designer mansion with an arsenal room?? haha what the gently caress?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Deathstroke stuff was newly filmed as Esai Morales wasn't cast for season 1.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bring back old gbs posted:

They had a good cliffhanger/stinger thing with Deadshot coming out of retirement.

That's Deadpool, not Deadshot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

That's Deadpool, not Deadshot.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
That was a long way to get to.Titans Assemble!

Now all the origins and backstories are out of the way we can get moving on some new adventures.

Too bad my favourite character Kori had to leave, maybe she'll return to help them later.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Randomly holding back the Season finale till season 2 was the most mindblowingly stupid decision of all time. I liked the episode that ended up being the season finale just fine in isolation, but it was a poo poo way to end the season, and the whole flow of the show was just completely disrupted.

I think it's going to take a while for me to accept someone other than Manu Bennett as Slade Wilson though. I think it was a mistake to use him so soon after Arrow, particularly with the shabby way DC forced them to keep abandoning the character.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Sep 9, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
meh premiere, but given its very weird production history, I'll reserve judgment on S2 for a few more episodes. The trailers have given me some hope that the creators understand what did and didn't work in S1, at least.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Iain Glen's American accent is... not good.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Weird to premier with the end of season 1 but okay.

muscles like this! posted:

I was unprepared...

Hypocrisy fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 10, 2019

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

They can always say it's because he was raised by Alfred or something.

Thankfully being a non-native speaker my ability to notice bad accents is non-existent lol.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

It would have been perfectly serviceable as a season finale; although the actual fight between Raven and Trigon was kinda anticlimactic - that seems to be a theme with these magic/demonic style adversaries; I guess there’s only so much you can do on a tv budget with these effects heavy villains, and not everyone is going to commit to going full ham with Beebo Megazord.

It just makes no sense as a season premiere.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yeah, making that the premiere for S2 was odd. I wonder how many people greenlit that decision lmao.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

teagone posted:

Yeah, making that the premiere for S2 was odd. I wonder how many people greenlit that decision lmao.

The worst part is that it was meant to be the season 1 finale, but then they randomly decided to hold it back at the last minute. It makes absolutely no sense.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

The worst part is that it was meant to be the season 1 finale, but then they randomly decided to hold it back at the last minute. It makes absolutely no sense.

No yeah that's what I meant. Like... why make that decision. Who was responsible for that, lol.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

teagone posted:

No yeah that's what I meant. Like... why make that decision. Who was responsible for that, lol.

Story on the internet is they wanted to finish on a cliff hanger to keep people subscribed. Sounds more like a Money thing rather than a show runner thing.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Yeah, ugh. I wonder if it's something about British actors that we're used to hearing speak with a British accent. It always seems super obvious that he's doing a fake voice every time he opens his mouth. I get the same thing with Stephen Strange as played by Benedict Cumberbatch -- it was really distracting from the movie. I feel like they're pronouncing the words in an American accent, but an accent that's not actually spoken in any region of America. Like none of the words sound wrong individually, but put them all together and it sounds obviously weird.

Phenotype fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Sep 10, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, ugh. I wonder if it's something about British actors that we're used to hearing speak with a British accent. It always seems super obvious that he's doing a fake voice every time he opens his mouth. I get the same thing with Stephen Strange as played by Benedict Cumberbatch -- it was really distracting from the movie. I feel like they're pronouncing the words in an American accent, but an accent that's not actually spoken in any region of America. Like none of the words sound wrong individually, but put them all together and it sounds obviously weird.

They should have hired David Boreanaz. but he busy being badass SEAL.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Episode 2 was really drat good.

Some nice DC name drops

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Seeing Shimmer was a surprise, that's for sure.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
S02e01 hot takes:

Anyone else loving die when Jason Todd tried to close the door on the van and couldn't?

Also what the hell was the point of gathering all the others? they all immediately got captured by Trigon and the only people who helped Rachel at all were Gar and Dick and they were already there.

Like someone mentioned above, Trigon rendered as a CGI mortal kombat character was kind of lame, they should have just given him a creepy aura and kept the dude in the suit.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Rocksicles posted:

Episode 2 was really drat good.

Some nice DC name drops
Several plotlines going on, some good character moments, plenty of action. What's not to like.

Dirk turning the conversation around and convincing Jason to behave better because 'you're Robin now, people look up to you' was clever writing and made sense for both characters.
Dawn going off to vigilante alone wasn't expected but made for interesting conflict between her and Hank.

Rose Wilson is great. Was she given the same Mirakuru drug Slade had in Arrow or did she inherit her abilities?

Jason's reaction - love at first leap.

Kory and Donna stakeout scene was fun, and their capture of Shimmer showed nice teamwork although too easy for this pair; it seemed to turn out she was just bait to lure out the queen.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Several plotlines going on, some good character moments, plenty of action. What's not to like.

Dirk turning the conversation around and convincing Jason to behave better because 'you're Robin now, people look up to you' was clever writing and made sense for both characters.
Dawn going off to vigilante alone wasn't expected but made for interesting conflict between her and Hank.

Rose Wilson is great. Was she given the same Mirakuru drug Slade had in Arrow or did she inherit her abilities?

Jason's reaction - love at first leap.

Kory and Donna stakeout scene was fun, and their capture of Shimmer showed nice teamwork although too easy for this pair; it seemed to turn out she was just bait to lure out the queen.

In the comics she's got precog powers and slade zapped her with his NotCap juice.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
If we have Shimmer her brother Mammoth should not be far behind. Then Psimon, Gizmo and Jinx should should up to complete the Fearsome Five.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Roy Harper name drop!

I would watch an hour of Donna and Kory hanging out every week.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Episode 2 was good. Didn't really care much for the Hawk/Dove angle this time around though.

Rhyno posted:

I would watch an hour of Donna and Kory hanging out every week.

Yo, same.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hawk and Dove seem like nothings - I wish they weren't really in the show anymore. I don't care for non-supers minus Batman and Robin.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Vintersorg posted:

Hawk and Dove seem like nothings - I wish they weren't really in the show anymore. I don't care for non-supers minus Batman and Robin.

You don't happen to work for Kord Industries, do you?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They both have powers in the comics, I figure Dove's brush with death will awaken hers.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hank might be the most realistic person on the whole show.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

They both have powers in the comics, I figure Dove's brush with death will awaken hers.

It does feel weird for them to not be avatars of Order and Chaos and instead just bird-themed vigilantes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I love the Hawk actor so I hope he stays around forever, but the team really is bird heavy. a Robin, a Hawk, a Dove, I bet green dude could turn into a bird if he wanted. Slade's daughter can basically fly too :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's gonna be really sad when Hank gives in and becomes Hawk again and gets addicted to the adrenaline rush.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
If you love Hawk's actor do yourself a favor and watch Blue Mountain State.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And Blood Drive.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I promise you I am 100% invested in the Thad Castle Cinematic Universe

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rocksicles posted:

Hank might be the most realistic person on the whole show.

How so? Just in terms of getting a super rush being a vigilante?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vintersorg posted:

How so? Just in terms of getting a super rush being a vigilante?

He's dealing with addiction issues from pain meds and adrenaline, he's got a lovely relationship he's trying to fix when he knows he's the problem from jealousy, anger problems, two kinds of Dick problems, some twat blew up all his steaks, his girlfriend is lying to him and he takes it on the chin just white knuckling it. Everyone else has super hero problems., Hank is just Hank atm.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I enjoyed the twist that Dove wants to engage in violent acts while the Hawk is arguing for peace and moderation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I was annoyed that Hawk and Dove looked like they were off doing their own little thing again but that was fixed at the end of the episode.