Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

For me, snacking at work has almost always a product of boredom at work. I'm not hungry hungry, just bored. If I just need something to chew on, gum is cheap as hell (though I guess British people are pretty anti-gum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Two things, and I hope at least one of them is feasible for you:

1) I bring bread, cold cut turkey, salad mix, and Swiss cheese to work, and put them in the office fridge. My job has free mustard & mayo for some reason, but I would bring those too if I had to. My laziness prevails over my urge to leave the office to get a fast food lunch.

But the bread has to come from Panera, and the cold cuts & salad from a salad bar restaurant. And also, be pregnant too maximized the listeria risk from the cold cuts.

:btroll:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I confess to sometimes going across the street to buy a coffee.

Mostly so I have an excuse to go for a walk and clear my mind.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

My office has a coffee bar inside it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My office has a convenience store/gift shop in the lobby and is connected by an understreet tunnel to a food court, a barber shop, the local bank, the gym, and the press club.

There's a coffee kiosk in the lobby too but the press club's grill does breakfast burritos and coffee way better.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

My office building connects to Montreal’s “underground city”, so I can walk a few miles without going outside.

Pro-trick: leave your winter coat on your chair back, go for a walk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
underground Montreal is great in the winter

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

FrozenVent posted:

My office building connects to Montreal’s “underground city”, so I can walk a few miles without going outside.

Pro-trick: leave your winter coat on your chair back, go for a walk.

https://www.theonion.com/health-experts-recommend-standing-up-at-desk-leaving-o-1819577456

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

My fiancee was just offered, and accepted, a position in Olympia, WA. We live in Madison, WI. She's an archaeologist with a master's degree, and it seems to be impossible to find anything in her field that has benefits, isn't seasonal, and pays a living wage unless you have a PhD and 20+ years experience, but she managed to get a well paying job with the DOT that seems to be of the "I'm not leaving until I retire" variety. I'm very happy for her, and us, and looking forward to exciting things ahead. She will be doubling her current salary, and start off making more than I currently make with the potential for a raise in 6 months.

All that being said, I'm about to find myself unemployed and looking for a job for the first time in nearly 11 years and the thought of it is giving me anxiety.

An update along with a question. My last day was on Friday, and I went out for drinks with some regional managers along with a couple other location managers. I told them I wasn't having the best of luck finding anything in our industry except for an entry level gig at one of our competitors, and one of the regional managers said, "I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but are you willing to travel? Or work in IT?" I said I was, and he got up and made some calls. He didn't get a hold of anyone, but he must have talked to someone over the weekend. This morning I was cc'd on this email to the director of IT.

quote:

Lenny-

Per our conversation Saturday, Bae of Pig’s contact info is below:
Cell: xxx.xxx.xxxx
Email: xxxx@xxxxxxxxx.xxx

He is interested in staying with the company and has around 10 years experience. I believe he started as a Donor Processor while in college or just out of college.

His latest job title was Training Coordinator at the Madison-Verona location.

I highly recommend him for any position you may have. He is also open to travel.

Let me know if you have further questions. I copied John on this email as well.

My question is if I should send any kind of follow up email to the guy? If so, what should I say? I have zero background in IT but I know the program we use at work probably better than most managers. And most of the people in the IT department don't have IT backgrounds but were trained on the job. Or is this maybe a good question for the negotiation thread? Or the resume thread?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

BAE OF PIGS posted:

An update along with a question. My last day was on Friday, and I went out for drinks with some regional managers along with a couple other location managers. I told them I wasn't having the best of luck finding anything in our industry except for an entry level gig at one of our competitors, and one of the regional managers said, "I don't know why I didn't think about this earlier, but are you willing to travel? Or work in IT?" I said I was, and he got up and made some calls. He didn't get a hold of anyone, but he must have talked to someone over the weekend. This morning I was cc'd on this email to the director of IT.

My question is if I should send any kind of follow up email to the guy? If so, what should I say? I have zero background in IT but I know the program we use at work probably better than most managers. And most of the people in the IT department don't have IT backgrounds but were trained on the job. Or is this maybe a good question for the negotiation thread? Or the resume thread?

Nice! That is a really nice recommendation. Yes, reply back with a general "thank you for the introduction, nice to meet you" email. Include how you would love an opportunity to discuss the roles open in their organization, and how you're moving to X location and expect to be settled in by Y date. (Give a buffer, moving loving sucks.) Move your old manager who did the intro to BCC: so they can both see that you thanked them, but don't have to live the hell that is an email thread they aren't related to anymore. If you get a job from this, send them a bottle of scotch or whatever it is they drink.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If you are looking to get into IT and are already living in Madison/Verona, you should throw your resume at Epic. They are always hiring and take people from all kinds of backgrounds. Training experience would be a plus here as well.

Edit: didn't re-read your original post. Epic does have remote locations/sends people out to work full time at customer locations. Still might not hurt to apply.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Sirotan posted:

If you are looking to get into IT and are already living in Madison/Verona, you should throw your resume at Epic. They are always hiring and take people from all kinds of backgrounds. Training experience would be a plus here as well.

Edit: didn't re-read your original post. Epic does have remote locations/sends people out to work full time at customer locations. Still might not hurt to apply.

My wife just completed her Epic certification while her hospital undergoes transition to Epic’s EMR. If you’re looking to work for Epic in WI, it sounds like a pretty good corporate IT gig.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Definitely follow up, congrats on doing a networking!

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

is this chat thread because i bought a car

but it was really heavily discounted, has a long warranty, and 1.9% financing for 60 mos so i'm claiming GWM status

Condolences on the purchase. Congrats on the terms.

What car u got?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Probably a stupid question. I signed a contract for windows on Saturday, but had until tomorrow to cancel. We ended up sending a signed cancellation form today because we're going to finance it differently and need more time to figure that out.

In the meantime, an account was opened with green sky credit with a limit of 34,000 and an apr of 6.99% that we no longer need.

Is it better for my credit to leave it open or close it since I'm not going to use it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DNK posted:

Condolences on the purchase. Congrats on the terms.

What car u got?

Golf Alltrack. My wife and I wanted a manual wagon as our daily driver and this appears to be the last chance to ever buy a manual wagon since it's dead in December. (Really wanted the Sportwagen as it doesn't have stupid SUV-esque looks but there weren't any left)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I'm jealous, Baeofpigs. Olympia is a great city that I would love to move to. Good luck on getting a new position!

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

H110Hawk posted:

Nice! That is a really nice recommendation. Yes, reply back with a general "thank you for the introduction, nice to meet you" email. Include how you would love an opportunity to discuss the roles open in their organization, and how you're moving to X location and expect to be settled in by Y date. (Give a buffer, moving loving sucks.) Move your old manager who did the intro to BCC: so they can both see that you thanked them, but don't have to live the hell that is an email thread they aren't related to anymore. If you get a job from this, send them a bottle of scotch or whatever it is they drink.

So I emailed the director of IT just a sort of introductory email and talked about my time with the company. He emailed me back yesterday with this:

quote:

Bae of pigs,
I look forward to discussing opportunities. I am now somewhat constrained by the fact that all job placements (even to replace existing hires) must go through an arduous process involving HR as well as [big company that just bought us] approvals. I am trying to expedite this, but until I have permission to hire, I am not even supposed to interview. Please bear with me…

While it's not a "welcome aboard!" email, I take this as still a good sign that he's willing to consider adding me once he is able. The company that bought us is having us adopt some really stupid job requisition request stuff, so to even think about hiring a person, the need to hire someone needs to be approved, even if it's replacing someone that's leaving.

I was thinking of just replying with a general "Thanks for taking the time to consider me. I've had discussions with [former manager's name] about the new job requisition procedures so I understand that it is quite a process. I look forward to speaking with you more in the future to discuss opportunities."

Does that sound reasonable?

Nocheez posted:

I'm jealous, Baeofpigs. Olympia is a great city that I would love to move to. Good luck on getting a new position!

Thanks man. I'm pretty excited. Scared, because I really have no idea if the above job opportunity is going to pan out, but I know that my fiancees job opportunity is one that doesn't come up often. Being in a new city is going to be weird, but I'm looking forward to a new chapter!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Only thing I'd add is if he'd be ok with you sending a follow-up email in a month if there's been no contact, to see how things are going. It'll help you get a sense of how long it might be, and give you an easy thing to put in a calendar reminder to re-establish contact.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I fell for an elaborate phishing scam today. Basically, I got a call from my bank's phone number. My bank has a local number and a toll free one. I missed a call from the toll free one, and then got another call from the local number. I answered, and person on the other end identified himself as a banking rep in the security and fraud department. He asked if I authorized a certain payment today, and I told him no, that that was fraudulent. He asked me to verify my phone pin to verify my identity, which I did, and then told me he was sending an email with another authentication number, which I got and then read to him. He basically said that he was going to close the account number and send another card, and that was that. He also said that he would email me a "claim number" regarding the phone call we just had. At the time, this call seemed indistinguishable from other conversations I've had with my bank when fraudulent transactions occurred.

Afterwards, I logged on to my account and saw that no activity was actually on there. No pending fraudulent transaction, no indication that the account had been closed, etc. I also hadn't received an email with the number, and I was starting to stress, debating whether to call my bank back to see if they had any record of any of this. I check my account again, and see that a massive cash advance from the credit card in question to my checking account had occurred. Now I'm freaking out, and I call my bank back and tell them what happened. I eventually get transferred to an account security guy, who shuts everything down and blocks all transactions. He also tells me that he has a record of someone calling them, from my number, representing themselves as me, two minutes after I got my call. Basically, one person was on the line with them, another was on the line with me, and the elaborate ruse was used to feed the bank rep all the info they asked for (pin number, two-factor security code). In the time period where my accounts were shut down, someone tried to make a fraudulent transaction with my credit card that was stopped.

What's weirding me out a little bit is, why the cash advance? The people obviously had my credit card info (presumably from a hack), but why not just use that to buy some poo poo and call it a day? Did they have my debit card info, as well? Was the cash advance just the pretext they used to make the call to my bank in the first place? Were they planning on making a second call to complete a wire transfer, or to try to get my online login info? I initially thought they had my user name and password, which really freaked me out, but the security guy told me he hadn't seen any login attempts, and I was able to change all my info safely.

Be careful out there, folks. If you get a call from your bank, tell them you are going to hang up and call them back, and then do just that.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 17, 2019

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

"How can I reach you from <number printed on my ATM card/published on your web site>."

This should be your immediate response. If they don't have that answer immediately they aren't from the security department.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I felt pretty dumb afterwards. Luckily I figured it out before I started really getting hosed. Seeing a known number come up on my caller ID really threw my off.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Phishing has gotten very sophisticated lately. I fell for one recently when I got a call from my own cell phone number, on my cell phone, and an incredibly convincing customer service imitation process.

Most annoying part was actually dealing with Verizon customer service, who were far less competent than the phishers. They tried to convince me that I had not been phished and that the freshly purchased iPhone was not fraudulent because whoever bought it knew my account credentials!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
"Apple" called my wife the other day (from 1-800-MY-APPLE) and told her that her iCloud was logged into in another state and that they were able to shut it down but need her to reset everything from her phone. She was caught off guard at first but got wise when they said they were going to send a code and asked if she had her iPhone or iPad nearby. She told them she didn't have either and they were incredulous "how do you not have either, are you sure?!". At this point she was hip to it and killed the called and told me.

We changed the password right away. I was real proud of her as she's not techy and not really exposed to all the social hacking and such.

Sucks to hear about your fraud and hope you didn't have any losses in the end. Get a password manager and change every single password you have to a unique one and enable 2FA. If you didn't lose anything it was a close call. If you did, my goondolences.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

il serpente cosmico posted:

I wasn't sure where else to post this, but I fell for an elaborate phishing scam today. Basically, I got a call from my bank's phone number. My bank has a local number and a toll free one. I missed a call from the toll free one, and then got another call from the local number. I answered, and person on the other end identified himself as a banking rep in the security and fraud department. He asked if I authorized a certain payment today, and I told him no, that that was fraudulent. He asked me to verify my phone pin to verify my identity, which I did, and then told me he was sending an email with another authentication number, which I got and then read to him. He basically said that he was going to close the account number and send another card, and that was that. He also said that he would email me a "claim number" regarding the phone call we just had. At the time, this call seemed indistinguishable from other conversations I've had with my bank when fraudulent transactions occurred.

Afterwards, I logged on to my account and saw that no activity was actually on there. No pending fraudulent transaction, no indication that the account had been closed, etc. I also hadn't received an email with the number, and I was starting to stress, debating where to call my bank back to see if they had any record of any of this. I check my account again, and see that a massive cash advance from the credit card in question to my checking account had occurred. Now I'm freaking out, and I call my bank back and tell them what happened. I eventually get transferred to an account security guy, who shuts everything down and blocks all transactions. He also tells me that he has a record of someone calling them, from my number, representing themselves as me, two minutes after I got my call. Basically, one person was on the line with them, another was on the line with me, and the elaborate ruse was used to feed the bank rep all the info they asked for (pin number, two-factor security code). In the time period where my accounts were shut down, someone tried to make a fraudulent transaction with my credit card that was stopped.

What's weirding me out a little bit is, why the cash advance? The people obviously had my credit card info (presumably from a hack), but why not just use that to buy some poo poo and call it a day? Did they have my debit card info, as well? Was the cash advance just the pretext they used to make the call to my bank in the first place? Were they planning on making a second call to complete a wire transfer, or to try to get my online login info? I initially thought they had my user name and password, which really freaked me out, but the security guy told me he hadn't seen any login attempts, and I was able to change all my info safely.

Be careful out there, folks. If you get a call from your bank, tell them you are going to hang up and call them back, and then do just that.

You were literally minutes away from having your accounts drained to negative. Cash advance might have gotten them literal cash in hand versus buying things which you might be able to put a stop to, plus they would have to get those items in person. Once they had your 2FA they could authenticate themselves to your bank, as you said, and do a wire. Those 2FA emails all say "Do not read this to anyone on the phone" and if they don't complain. If it's in small print, complain. It should be easier to read "DO NOT READ THIS TO ANYONE ON THE PHONE/CHAT" than the actual code itself.

You probably would have gotten it back in a month or two, but you are seriously lucky.

Stay safe out there, and if anyone ever calls you who isn't a personal friend then hang up and call them back using a number printed somewhere official. If a letter comes in the mail asking you to call a number same deal. This type of confident tone in the call from a position of "authority" and "impending inconvenience" works really well psychologically. There is a reason they call it "social engineering." You happened to realize it in time, think of all of the people who do not - like your parents. Call them, they miss you, and would love to hear about this.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

You were literally minutes away from having your accounts drained to negative. Cash advance might have gotten them literal cash in hand versus buying things which you might be able to put a stop to, plus they would have to get those items in person. Once they had your 2FA they could authenticate themselves to your bank, as you said, and do a wire. Those 2FA emails all say "Do not read this to anyone on the phone" and if they don't complain. If it's in small print, complain. It should be easier to read "DO NOT READ THIS TO ANYONE ON THE PHONE/CHAT" than the actual code itself.

You probably would have gotten it back in a month or two, but you are seriously lucky.

Stay safe out there, and if anyone ever calls you who isn't a personal friend then hang up and call them back using a number printed somewhere official. If a letter comes in the mail asking you to call a number same deal. This type of confident tone in the call from a position of "authority" and "impending inconvenience" works really well psychologically. There is a reason they call it "social engineering." You happened to realize it in time, think of all of the people who do not - like your parents. Call them, they miss you, and would love to hear about this.

Yeah, I am most def going to call my mom and tell her to stay frosty out there. I'm guessing the small transaction made on my credit card that was declined because the account was closed was a quick check to make sure I hadn't caught on before they initiated stage two.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I got a legit email from PayPal saying someone new logged in to my account at a time I wasn't trying to access it, with the label "Firefox OS X". I don't have any Apple devices, so like the email recommended, I browsed separately (not through any email links) to PayPal's website, logged in, and changed my password to a new one generated buy my password manager.

Then 3 days later I got the same notification, and now I'm beginning to think it's Mint.com's access that's triggering those alerts. It's so rare to get false positives like that due to Mint, but there's no way anyone else has the new password, and the email says someone else logged in, presumably successfully, and not that someone only attempted to do so. If it's not that I don't know what else it'd be. :confused:

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21

SpelledBackwards posted:

I got a legit email from PayPal saying someone new logged in to my account at a time I wasn't trying to access it, with the label "Firefox OS X". I don't have any Apple devices, so like the email recommended, I browsed separately (not through any email links) to PayPal's website, logged in, and changed my password to a new one generated buy my password manager.

Then 3 days later I got the same notification, and now I'm beginning to think it's Mint.com's access that's triggering those alerts. It's so rare to get false positives like that due to Mint, but there's no way anyone else has the new password, and the email says someone else logged in, presumably successfully, and not that someone only attempted to do so. If it's not that I don't know what else it'd be. :confused:

The exact same thing just happened to me. I also use mint, so you might be on to something with that

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

gently caress, my spidey senses were tingling the whole time during that phone call. I'm feeling pretty dumb for not trusting my gut and hanging up.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

SpelledBackwards posted:

I've had something happen similar to this with my wellsfargo retirement account a couple of times in past 6 months. I'll get an email alert or a text stating my phone pin or phone number was changed. The number they provide is the number on the website and the email appears to be from a legitimate wellsfargo source.

Every time I've called to ask what's going on and they say nothing has changed and see no odd activity on my account. I'll log in online and make sure my pin/phone has stayed to the same and it has. Not sure what is going on.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

il serpente cosmico posted:

gently caress, my spidey senses were tingling the whole time during that phone call. I'm feeling pretty dumb for not trusting my gut and hanging up.

Counterpoint:

I have had more than one legitimate call from a financial institution relating to my account that, after a brief discussion, lead to them asking me to confirm my security details in order to continue. Each time, I had to do a mental pause, assessment and then give them a hearty 'no'.

It is very easy to go down that route and difference between dumb and non-dumb is realising something is up and then making the fraud call afterwards.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

poo poo i got craigslist scammed for an apartment and generally my wife and i are fairly skeptical people

it happens, usually when you're fixated on something else (eg gently caress my bank account aint workin / gently caress my identity been stolen / gently caress i need a place to live)

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
So my car rears its ugly head again. I don’t want to have a car anymore. I want to sell this car.

This car is a 2010 Mazda 3. It has 290 000km. It has many broken and worn out things that will cost almost $7000 to fix.

It’s worth about $4500. Maybe.

What do I do with this car?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

tuyop posted:

So my car rears its ugly head again. I don’t want to have a car anymore. I want to sell this car.

This car is a 2010 Mazda 3. It has 290 000km. It has many broken and worn out things that will cost almost $7000 to fix.

Burn it down for the insurance money.

BULLETKISS
Jul 3, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

poo poo i got craigslist scammed for an apartment and generally my wife and i are fairly skeptical people

it happens, usually when you're fixated on something else (eg gently caress my bank account aint workin / gently caress my identity been stolen / gently caress i need a place to live)

I'd like to hear more about this. This sounds horrible. Goondolences.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not too much to tell. My wife and I were looking for a short term apartment on short notice in a city we didn't know well and where we weren't on the ground. We found a place advertised through a (fake) company advertising short term rental brokerage, with a legitimate looking website. The rate was somewhat under market but we figured since it was short term rental/sublease it was plausible. Long story short - it wasn't, we wired money, and when we showed up it turned out although the place was real, it was not for rent and certainly not through any of the people we talked to.

Lesson learned - use the phone, get someone to lay eyes on it, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

tuyop posted:

Let it back up into a lake, collect insurance.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Four years after applying, my friend just told me he got his free tuna voucher from that Sunkist price fixing class action lawsuit in the mail. $5.03 in free tuna.

I missed out on that LCD panel class action from years back that paid out hundreds of dollars, but it's this goddamn free tuna one that I am still mad about. WHERE'S MY FREE TUNA, SUNKIST?? I'M STILL WAITING :argh:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That's the second time I've heard of someone getting screwed in a tuna lawsuit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

:woop::woop::woop: