Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

FizFashizzle posted:

Grier is....not ready. He's currently third behind kyle allen.

As far as moving on from Cam, his contract is basically up after this year. It would only cost 2 mil to cut him after the season, and they'd free up 19 million in cap space.

but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if he just retires.

he did look a little down, he said he was fine with only having one designed run and in general just seemed a bit somber. Wonder what's going on with his health

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

FizFashizzle posted:

Grier is....not ready. He's currently third behind kyle allen.

As far as moving on from Cam, his contract is basically up after this year. It would only cost 2 mil to cut him after the season, and they'd free up 19 million in cap space.

but i honestly wouldn't be surprised if he just retires.

Cam will be a patriot

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
11 minutes left in the game Lions lead 24-6 and they blew this? My god.

Kyler Murray looks better when the Cards were in chaos catch up mode. He found Fitz a lot during it at least. Also they didn't go away from the run game even when the clock was ticking down which worked fantastic.

Now it's in OT and 1st and Goal from the 8 for the Cards and they dont win this? What is this game.

This is what madness feels like.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Athanatos posted:

Kyler Murray looks better when the Cards were in chaos catch up mode. He found Fitz a lot during it at least. Also they didn't go away from the run game even when the clock was ticking down which worked fantastic.

Now it's in OT and 1st and Goal from the 8 for the Cards and they dont win this? What is this game.

I'll just say this before you see it. The Cards absolutely should have won the game after punting in OT. Everything is ridiculous.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Grittybeard posted:

I'll just say this before you see it. The Cards absolutely should have won the game after punting in OT. Everything is ridiculous.

That drop was brutal. I’m unironically in favor of defensive players being allowed to use Stickum to increase the number of INTs.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

loving god drat it.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Vengarr posted:

That drop was brutal. I’m unironically in favor of defensive players being allowed to use Stickum to increase the number of INTs.

Nah the Cards shouldn’t be rewarded with a win after that punt. It was a 99.6th percentile punt on noted definitely-a-thing Surrender Index!

https://twitter.com/surrender_idx90/status/1170853885638057984?s=21

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Slowpoke! posted:

Nah the Cards shouldn’t be rewarded with a win after that punt. It was a 99.6th percentile punt on noted definitely-a-thing Surrender Index!

https://twitter.com/surrender_idx90/status/1170853885638057984?s=21

I'm apparently the only idiot who thinks it was a good move and the Cardinals were smart to not Cardinal themselves into a loss after the the Lions Lioned themselves into a tie

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Athanatos posted:

Welcome to Lions fandom

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

as a cardinals fan im fine with it either way. if you go for it and end up losing then you get completely eviscerated in the media. on the other hand, why should you care about that as a coach? and then on the other other hand it's proven that that stuff matters. it's a tough decision to have to make as a first time coach and i'm fine with it either way and it also might not have been his decision to make or the decision he made.

also, iirc the surrender index goes up as the time ticks down so it's like double the number if the decision took place before halftime. maybe it's that plus a modifier for going into overtime, idk. either way, it's kind of a QBR look at the decision where it's grading from a fan's perspective and not necessarily a useful predictor of a coach's cowardliness or how cowardly a decision actually is, just that if you read about it in the paper the next day that's how the storyline would go.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

1st-3rd quarter Josh Allen was absolute rear end.

I know that's the consensus even among Buffalo beat writers, too, but I actually didn't think he was THAT bad. I'm grading on a curve here, but he was accurate, made his reads, and was able to drive the ball down the field.

The recklessness still needs work but coaching that up feels far more surmountable than a lot of his college deficiencies did. Encouraging performance on balance.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
It was 100% better to punt there. A tie is literally half a win! It's not a terrible thing to take a tie, especially this early in the season. You can't guarantee a TD or even a made FG if you make the first down there and if you don't make it, the other team can give you a loss.

You gotta play the long game in week 1. And in this case you were down and looked out but ended up with half a win. That's not a bad result. And once you kick it there is very very low chance that you lose. It would be different if there wasn't a clock and the Lions could still win. Then it would make sense to keep driving.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 10, 2019

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Bengals and Colts lost but really liked what I saw from both of them.

For Indy it is the reemergence of a running game. Marlon Mack was really strong, the Oline looks improved.

For Cinci it was honestly Andy just slingin' the pigskin and not giving an honest drat. He kept them in the game with 418 yards passing. Such a bullshit call at the end robbing him of his chance at glory.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pasaluki posted:

Bengals and Colts lost but really liked what I saw from both of them.

For Indy it is the reemergence of a running game. Marlon Mack was really strong, the Oline looks improved.

For Cinci it was honestly Andy just slingin' the pigskin and not giving an honest drat. He kept them in the game with 418 yards passing. Such a bullshit call at the end robbing him of his chance at glory.

Andy was on fire, and that may have been a bad call, but even if it was called incomplete, it's still 3rd down and 4 from their own 31 with 10 seconds and no time outs. They ain't converting that.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Finger Prince posted:

Andy was on fire, and that may have been a bad call, but even if it was called incomplete, it's still 3rd down and 4 from their own 31 with 10 seconds and no time outs. They ain't converting that.

You said it yourself Andy was on fire.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Surrender Index is totally reasonable except that Jon Bois specifically said he hates ties and designed it to treat playing for a tie basically like playing for a loss so this is exactly the situation where that’s going to show up.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Cardinals got lucky in that the very next game showed what a truly cowardly play call looks like.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Vengarr posted:

Please no.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
The Texans defense is terrible

If only they had a run stopping/pass rushing monster to line up across from JJ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

lmao three deep safeties when the saints need 6 yards

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
The Texans defense successfully prevented the win. The hell were the coaches thinking there?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Un loving believable

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
well good to know that I shouldn't care about the Texans again, they always manage to choke away the big games

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

bill obrien is such a nothing of a coach

torturemyballs
Feb 25, 2015
As a Texans fan I'm pretty happy with what I saw for the most part, except for the fact that Watson will definitely miss some games this year at some point.

Thought it would go way way worse than that tbh

Did Romeo not realize they had a time out though? Lol

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

That prevent defense was absolutely inexcusable. If they throw it deep and you make a tackle, that's game over. Just play your normal D

Un loving believable

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Why the hell do they play prevent defense. That never. GODDAMN. WORKS.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shindragon posted:

It certainly doesn't work when the other team needs less than ten yards to get in FG range and has only enough time on the clock for a very quick play

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
The refs did everything they could this game, but the Saints still won.

(that's my story and I'm sticking to it)

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

it prevents...winning :grin:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Well on the bright side Watson, Fuller, Nuk, and Duke all looked great.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Romeo should never be employed in any football capacity again after that

If a middle schooler did that in Madden I would steal the controller from him

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

The Texans defense successfully prevented the win. The hell were the coaches thinking there?

This is nothing new. BoB had done this poo poo countless times in the past and gets extended for it.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ELO Musk posted:

Well on the bright side Watson, Fuller, Nuk, and Duke all looked great.

Carlos Hyde looked good too, which means in two weeks he'll be lost for the season

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Intruder posted:

It certainly doesn't work when the other team needs less than ten yards to get in FG range and has only enough time on the clock for a very quick play

I honestly was flabbergasted when I saw them only put three on the line.. it's like Drew ain't playing for a Hail Mary ya dingus.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shindragon posted:

I honestly was flabbergasted when I saw them only put three on the line.. it's like Drew ain't playing for a Hail Mary ya dingus.

I don't even care about the pass rush, they had all the safeties deep and were playing the receivers 10-15 yards off the line. Press coverage you morons

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I would like to thank John Harbaugh again for telling Sean Payton about Wil Lutz. Thanks buddy. :thumbsup:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Intruder posted:

I don't even care about the pass rush, they had all the safeties deep and were playing the receivers 10-15 yards off the line. Press coverage you morons

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if defensive coordinators do this because of afraid of getting a PI flag, but yeah that was just terrible play calling.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Honestly, I sometimes wonder if defensive coordinators do this because of afraid of getting a PI flag, but yeah that was just terrible play calling.

It was funny when they showed Brees's face in slow motion, the utter disbelief at what the Texans were doing and the rush to take advantage of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

rjmccall posted:

The Surrender Index is totally reasonable except that Jon Bois specifically said he hates ties and designed it to treat playing for a tie basically like playing for a loss so this is exactly the situation where that’s going to show up.

I'm just going to come out and say it: hating ties makes you a bad NFL fan. Jon Bois what is wrong with you?