Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

Thrift store. The stuff they sell at camping stores is overpriced and unnecessary for car camping. You can build a complete car camping cook set for like $20 at your local thrift shop, and its cheap status will mean you don't care about dings and dents and whatever.

Seconding a thift store for car camping stuff. I outfitted and entire kitchen for <$20 at Goodwill. Stuff like pans were $3 and bowls and cups were 50 cents or a quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

if you're bringing cast iron already what else do you need :confused:

nah but thrift it like they said. get some short shorts & loud short sleeve button-ups while you're there and fit in with the $$$ crowd

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

patagonia has casual shirts @ msrp of like 80 united states dollars lol

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
fyi if anyone like me gets chafing issues pretty badly on the trail 2Toms Sport Shield is literally a miracle product. I absolutely unequivocally recommend it, it is a stellar product in every single respect. honestly it deserves its own thread.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 3, 2019

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Nthing thrifting... also cooking with pie irons— I recently picked up a set and it has absolutely leveled up my car camping cooking! Sandwiches, pizzas, desserts, breakfast sammiches, they’re just :discourse:

Also fire pit folding grates are awesome for cooking over the fire:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000P9IRKQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_CeUBDbHY9KBG1

You just build up some embers and put the grate over top of that, which is perfect for foil packets, burgers, brats, corn, cast iron, steaks, flat top cast iron (which is perfect for breakfast with pancakes and bacon and stuff). Those along with the pie pans have been my favorite bits of gear recently

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Man I scored on space by switching to hammock stuff. Considering my hammock and straps come with me regardless, I’m basically trading:

Tent
Footprint
Fly
Sleeping pad
Sleeping bag
Pillow

FOR

Under quilt
Quilt
Bug net
Fly

The quilts both fit in my sleeping bag compression bag so that’s an even trade, the rest is tiny. I can downsize to one of my smaller bags at this point.

Now all I have to do is not hate it, please don’t let me hate it.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

You don't use a pad for hammock sleeping? I've found that I need one, but I'm a side/rotisserie sleeper in general.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Nope, no pad. I’m hoping having both an under and over quilt will fix the warmth and comfort bits. I’m a side sleeper on the ground but for some reason in a hammock I’m good however.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pointsofdata posted:

I don't get why I never see americans talking about these guys:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarantula_hawk

seems terrifying to me

e: their venom is really interesting. They reproduce by laying larva in the bodies of tarantula's they have paralyzed with their venom, but it specificly does not kill them as then their bodies would start to rot too fast. Separately, their venom is extremely painful to all verterbrates to the extent that they have no known predators.

They’re intimidating to look at but pretty inoffensive from what I’ve read—If you watch coyote peterson’s vid he has to manhndle one and try pretty hard to get a sting.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rolo posted:

Nope, no pad. I’m hoping having both an under and over quilt will fix the warmth and comfort bits. I’m a side sleeper on the ground but for some reason in a hammock I’m good however.

Nice! Quilts are a great quality of life comfort for hammocks. I’ve tried using pads and never really had great results.

Inceltown posted:

Didn't Dutch get cancelled for treating a bunch of people in the industry like poo poo? I remember reading someone fairly prominent creating drama on BPL but can't find it now.

Huh, interesting! He’s still got his store and I still buy stuff from him, but I 100% believe you. For context, last year I went on a kayak outing with a local meetup group, and got to talking to another couple that came out, and turns out they’re the owners/operators of Dream Hammock and they really do not like Dutch at all, because his chameleon hammock is a ripoff of their design. Which was kinda awkward because I was talking about how much I loved Dutch’s gear to them, lol

Small world I guess, but it could be the same (or similar) issue!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I haven't read the full article yet, just posting this before work, but some guy says maybe its not worth your time to hang your food in bear country.

Valid points? Or is he a paid Schill for big bear canister?

https://www.outsideonline.com/23861...TXzze72xGKJLtaA

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I think most Bear hangs here in CO are, in effect, rodent hangs. There are a dearth of appropriate trees. But I still do it because a bear canister feels like overkill.

His point number four is well taken, however. On my last trip, I was working to get a line over one of the rare appropriate limbs near a high mountain lake. I neglected to realize that, in the course of my efforts, I had stepped on the pile of paracord laying next to me. I threw the rock, it traveled about three feet in the air toward its target, and came rocketing back into my face with what was — in retrospect — stunning accuracy and speed considering I had thrown the rock at a ~75° angle. Throwing rocks into trees is pretty dangerous when you think about it.

Anyway, yeah. He’s probably right that there are better ways.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Holy crapola the sawyer squeeze is so much faster than gravity filters.

My only issue with the thing is that the bags are incredibly annoying to fill. If you're filling from a lake/river they never get completely full, so I found. It worked a bit better when filling from a moving canoe.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dangerllama posted:

I think most Bear hangs here in CO are, in effect, rodent hangs. There are a dearth of appropriate trees. But I still do it because a bear canister feels like overkill.

I got a Bear Vault canister as a gift, which is a pretty kickass gift, but I only use it for car camping. It’s nice to just go stash it under a rock. Otherwise throwing it in my backpack is annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The vault is also a great stool and a fine place to store random poo poo in the car (spare batteries, extra first aid supplies and nalgene bottles for me)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I got a bear vault for Christmas as well. It was one of those things I really didn't want to buy and I my family was asking for christmas suggestions. My only regret is that I wish I had received the smaller size which is more usable. The big size is best for big groups but I rarely need one that big.

I hang my food most of the time unless Im somewhere that mandates bear cans or the animal situation is so bad that you should use one.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

MA-Horus posted:

My only issue with the thing is that the bags are incredibly annoying to fill. If you're filling from a lake/river they never get completely full, so I found. It worked a bit better when filling from a moving canoe.

Pro tip I observed (and stole the idea for) on a recent overnighter - bring a spare gallon ziploc and dip that into standing water, then pour into your squeezebag with a minimum of fuss.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’m confused. You guys are bear canistering when car camping?

That seems…unnecessary?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Dangerllama posted:

That seems…unnecessary?

Bears will absolutely tear into your cars in some areas to get food.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I don't when car camping. Only backpacking. I usually have way too much food for a bear can.

I only bring mine when the places say I have to (national parks).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dangerllama posted:

That seems…unnecessary?

Not for bear protection, it's just convenient storage device that is also useful when backpacking in bear country. So it usually gets tossed into the car.

Everywhere I've been keeping food in the car is sufficient to satisfy local authorities.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

armorer posted:

Bears will absolutely tear into your cars in some areas to get food.

My point was that, if you live in an area where bears are going to wreck your car, I don’t think a bear canister is going to prevent them from doing that. Seems the common protocol is to put your food in a locker after dark? And if you don’t camp in such a place, then keeping your food inside your car is probably sufficient.

I’m willing to admit I may be totally wrong about this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
If a bear is going to tear into something, you'd much rather have it try to get into a canister than your car.

Also, a canister, while durable, isn't meant to stop a bear from tearing into it, the operant mechanism is to deny a bear any purchase that they could use to use their claws to pry.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Dangerllama posted:

That seems…unnecessary?

I call it car camping but the spot I use is a few minutes from the car.

Edit: wait does car camping mean literally in the car or just that your car is there?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

xzzy posted:

The vault is also a great stool and a fine place to store random poo poo in the car (spare batteries, extra first aid supplies and nalgene bottles for me)

Aren't you a bit concerned a battery could leak in your lovely food storage container?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Rolo posted:

I call it car camping but the spot I use is a few minutes from the car.

Edit: wait does car camping mean literally in the car or just that your car is there?

Car camping is just used to differentiate it from backpacking. Car camping means you use your vehicle to get to the campsite or close enough that you aren't hiking in all your gear on your back. You can bring more and heavier gear since your vehicle is doing all the lifting vs backpacking where you're packing light and hiking to your campsite.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No because I tend to take fresh batteries on my adventures. If they're old enough to leak they were gonna get me in trouble out in the woods anyways.

Or if they were cheap enough to leak when new.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Verman posted:

Car camping is just used to differentiate it from backpacking. Car camping means you use your vehicle to get to the campsite or close enough that you aren't hiking in all your gear on your back. You can bring more and heavier gear since your vehicle is doing all the lifting vs backpacking where you're packing light and hiking to your campsite.

Yeah that’s what I thought. So yeah I use the bear container when my car takes it in but I’m not sleeping that close to my car.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

If there aren't food lockers at the campsite / parking lot then some kind of bear resistant food container is the best option. For car camping, there are IGBC approved boxes / panniers / coolers which may be more convenient (many of which are outrageously overpriced, but not all).

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

i want ursacks to be good, but they are not :(

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Chard posted:

i want ursacks to be good, but they are not :(
Are they actually not bear resistant enough or is the complaint just that they aren't approved for areas that requires bear canisters?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

CopperHound posted:

Are they actually not bear resistant enough or is the complaint just that they aren't approved for areas that requires bear canisters?

This is all anecdotal, but both. They're not approved for major areas of the Sierras including Yosemite, but I've also heard that bears can pierce the bag and will crush everything inside to a fine powder regardless of if they pierce it. I've heard of a metal insert to counter piercing but overall it seems like the solution just isn't there yet.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I use an ursack with odor proof bags inside, and just tie it to a tree trunk at head height. But as mentioned earlier, my concern is rodents and other curious small critters. No idea if the ursack actually does anything, but haven't ever had any issues.

I'm also just in black bear country, so nothing especially worrisome.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Pretty sure a bear is going to do whatever the gently caress a bear wants to do.

Hang your poo poo, at least that'll give you a heads up that you're about to get mauled.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Set up a 100 meter perimeter around your camp with tripwire rigged to stadium lights. When a bear approaches you gotta turn that patch of forest into the surface of the sun.

This may require a few extra trips up and down the trail to haul in the lamps and power source.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

xzzy posted:

Set up a 100 meter perimeter around your camp with tripwire rigged to stadium lights. When a bear approaches you gotta turn that patch of forest into the surface of the sun.

This may require a few extra trips up and down the trail to haul in the lamps and power source.

What's the per gram cost of C4? I bet we could weight weenie a solution.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I like where this is going.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

MA-Horus posted:

The Cnoc Vector is the perfect bag to pair the the Sawyer Squeeze.

https://cnocoutdoors.com/

Has a big wide mouth zipper-type opening on the back to scoop up water and the threads match the Sawyer. It's super durable and you can use it as a gravity filter as well if you pair it to another bag or use an in-line adapter to a bladder.

I used it this weekend and it owns.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Random question, anyone have experience getting a harness for a dog with some carrying capacity? It’d be great if my guy could carry his own dang weight, so to speak, since his food alone probably clears 5 pounds easy, and I’d much rather he schlep it than me, if there are any recommendations I’m all ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Ruffwear seems to be the defacto around here but it's pricey. Their stuff doesn't seem to fall apart super easy though.