Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Resting Lich Face posted:

Jasmine tea. Mind-blowing how much like a flower it tastes. Not sure I'm a fan.

i like to get it and drink it for a few weeks and then i get tired of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm the same. The jasmine is too much most of the time and I don't feel like I'm drinking tea. What I prefer to do is to get my own tea and then add the dried flower to the pot if I'm feeling like I want it. Same thing for rose petals, orange peel, lemon peel, whatever flavoring. I find it's easier to get a beverage I'm going to enjoy when I meddle than if I were to buy a pre-mixed bag of stuff just full of pieces of stuff.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I just got 500g of jasmine oolong from Teavivre due to the mixup (where my order accidentally got shipped to Australia and the Australian person’s to me), and I’m not big on jasmine either. I also got 200g of osmanthus oolong for free in this mystery package, which is nice, and some nice high-end oolong samples. It came at the the same time as my reshipped order, which is mostly pu erh. So this Australian oolong fan accidentally got a bunch of pu erh for free as well, lol.

But what am I gonna do with this 500g of jasmine oolong? I have no idea

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
blend it with something else until the jasmine tastes good.

or if you dont like jasmine at all, toss it, no shame in that :shrug: the only tea i ever tossed out was some nasty mint stuff.

chunkles fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 10, 2019

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Take it to work and leave it in a break room, it'll be gone within the week?

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

chunkles posted:

blend it with something else until the jasmine tastes good.

or if you dont like jasmine at all, toss it, no shame in that :shrug: the only tea i ever tossed out was some nasty mint stuff.

I have had a nice blend of jasmine and lapsang souchong hmm...

I think what I’ll do is keep one 100g package to blend and turn into jasmine and lime iced tea next summer, then give away the other four bags to people who might appreciate it rather than letting it go to waste.

I’m usually loathe to throw out tea, but I also had to throw out a nasty mint tea because it tasted like they’d just soaked black tea in mint extract. And needing space on my multiple tea shelves finally drove me to throw out the crap Chinese teas I bought 15 years ago—what I had left of that cheapass jasmine in the orange tin seen in literally every asian supermarket, a gunpowder tea that tasted like dirt no matter how I brewed it (even cold), and a cheap shou pu erh that never stopped tasting entirely of fish

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Jasmine and lapsang doesn't sound like a good mix, but I'm intrigued, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Heath posted:

Jasmine and lapsang doesn't sound like a good mix, but I'm intrigued, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

It was indeed a very odd mix, but with only a hint of each it actually worked. I tried it once from here: https://www.murchies.com/store/queen-victoria-tea.html

Definitely not a daily drinker

I’m up for any other jasmine combo suggestions for sure

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Resting Lich Face posted:

Jasmine tea. Mind-blowing how much like a flower it tastes. Not sure I'm a fan.

See also, but possibly worse: lotus tea.

Don't get me wrong — a really high-quality, well-done, carefully-brewed lotus tea is a transcendent experience when consumed, say, once a year.

But that is neither affordable nor time-appropriate for everyday life in Vietnam, where the ubiquitous tea option is cheap lotus tea brewed until it's so astringent it could strip paint and so floral it's like mainlining an old lady's perfume bottle. :suicide:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Man, I love a good quality jasmine me. A very heady aroma that gives me pronounced stimulative effects at the near boiling temperature I drink at.

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

We picked some up in a random little teashop near Emeishan in Szechuan that was the best and most subtle-but:flavourful jasmine tea I've ever had.

Been on a quest to find something similar ever since we finished the bag - guess it's a good excuse to plan another trip to szechuan (if you ever go there, avoid the pandas but do climb Emeishan - the guys in the tourist crap shops at the top will make you a great green tea with freshly plucked leaves grabbed from a literal garbage bag full of them :) )

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I really wanna go. Sichuan seems like it would be my food paradise, but it also seems like a place you should bring someone who speaks at least a little of the language/dialect?

pim01
Oct 22, 2002

Chengdu is okay with just English, you can get by and normally find someone who speaks english - although my super limited mandarin came in handy when ordering stuff in smaller restaurants etc. A lot harder though than, say, Taiwan!

We went with a friend who speaks good mandarin, and we really needed her outside the major cities, especially to navigate trains, buses and taxis/didis.

Amd yeah, we went just to eat :allears: everything was amazing! If you ever go, a small local company called Chilli Cool do a really nice market tour/cookery school in chengdu - super nice people and you learn the local cheffy secrets (basically chucking some form of msg on everything all the time)

pim01 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 14, 2019

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
msg is great I don't give a gently caress :P

I'll write that down, thank you.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I got brought some of this: https://manoachocolate.com/products/chocolate-tea-4oz that I’ll be trying tomorrow.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

HelloSailorSign posted:

I got brought some of this: https://manoachocolate.com/products/chocolate-tea-4oz that I’ll be trying tomorrow.

Is it, like, just cocoa nibs and black tea mixed? It looks yummy.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Is it, like, just cocoa nibs and black tea mixed? It looks yummy.

Nah it's apparently cocoa bean hulls. As cocoa does have interesting compounds in it (namely theobromine and caffeine), the hulls likely have some in there too.

I brewed some the other day for some science.

I thought that the directions on the back of 2-3 tbsp per cup water was a bit much, so I did ~1/2 tbsp with 1.5c boiling water for 5 minutes. Aroma was excellent, lovely dark chocolate smell. Taste wasn't much... slightly bitter water? So back to the amounts!

I then did 3 tbsp in 3 cups boiling water for 10 minutes. Aroma still excellent, smells like delicious eating chocolate. This time, had a nice, subtle bitterness and mouth feel that reminded me of baker's chocolate while also losing the "tastes like hot water" error of first brewing. Did a 2nd brewing, that didn't really work (I left it for 15 and 20 minutes with tests at each). Not bad, just not much flavor.

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

HelloSailorSign posted:

Nah it's apparently cocoa bean hulls. As cocoa does have interesting compounds in it (namely theobromine and caffeine), the hulls likely have some in there too.

I brewed some the other day for some science.

I thought that the directions on the back of 2-3 tbsp per cup water was a bit much, so I did ~1/2 tbsp with 1.5c boiling water for 5 minutes. Aroma was excellent, lovely dark chocolate smell. Taste wasn't much... slightly bitter water? So back to the amounts!

I then did 3 tbsp in 3 cups boiling water for 10 minutes. Aroma still excellent, smells like delicious eating chocolate. This time, had a nice, subtle bitterness and mouth feel that reminded me of baker's chocolate while also losing the "tastes like hot water" error of first brewing. Did a 2nd brewing, that didn't really work (I left it for 15 and 20 minutes with tests at each). Not bad, just not much flavor.

Could you, theoretically, steep it in hot milk? I'm not sure if you could get the temperature high enough without scorching the milk but I imagine it'd be like a lovely rich bittersweet cocoa.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I could try getting milk in a saucepan to ~150 then add the hulls for the remainder climb to 200 and strain the liquid once it's cooled a bit.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm a tea drinker that likes dumping milk into pretty much everything. I'd also like a thermos to bring said milk-abominations everywhere. Problem is, most thermoses are pretty hard to clean, and milk build up gets :puke: pretty quick. Can anyone recommend a thermos / hot drink dealio that's VERY easy to clean?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Wide-mouth Hydro Flask? https://www.hydroflask.com/18-oz-wide-bottle/color,black,a,92,o,20

There are plenty of other size and lid configurations. Should be dead simple to clean if you get yourself a bottle brush.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

tokenbrownguy posted:

I'm a tea drinker that likes dumping milk into pretty much everything. I'd also like a thermos to bring said milk-abominations everywhere. Problem is, most thermoses are pretty hard to clean, and milk build up gets :puke: pretty quick. Can anyone recommend a thermos / hot drink dealio that's VERY easy to clean?

Aladdin makes bottles that are as easy to clean as any glass you have in your kitchen. The lid comes off, and the entire top unscrews.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

tokenbrownguy posted:

Also, look into one of these guys: https://www.amazon.com/Cleaning-Bru...-garden&sr=1-22

If you need to clean out anything with a narrow neck and a wide interior, these things worth great.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Suggestions for a good lapsang? I've tried one from Adagio and one from Upton. The Upton one was better.

Eccles
Feb 6, 2010
Mark T Wendell seems proud of their Lapsang

https://marktwendell.com/order-mark-t-wendell-teas/hu-kwa-tea

I don't drink lapsang souchong, and I haven't had this one in a very very long time, but I remember it being pretty good.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
white2tea has two pretty solid lapsangs, a well-balanced smoked lapsang with larger leaves (=more underlying tea flavor, less smoke) than you usually see, and an excellent unsmoked zhengshan which is very rare to see being offered outside of china. those are some of my personal favorites, but i find the really smoke-forward lapsangs that other people like to be kind of harsh in an acrid/chemical/did-you-smoke-this-with-ikea-particleboard sort of way.

a lot of people i know who do prefer very smoke-forward lapsangs consider yunnan sourcing's offering to be one of the most heavily smoked in the industry, so if that's your taste i might try them out.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Go figure, I just scored a ton of free tea from work and then my kettle gives up the ghost. I made one cup of tea when I got home, and when I tried to make another a few hours later it would briefly turn on/light up, then nothing. It's supposed to have a two year warranty, and I happened to buy it exactly two years minus one day ago, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle for a cheap sub-$30 kettle. Plus it's an excuse to buy the cute ceramic kettle I've been eyeing on Amazon for like.. years.

:sigh:

Maybe it's just the boil-over protection being wonky, but I'm not holding out hope.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Welp, made the mistake of making using a peach turmeric blend in my Teavana bottom dispensing maker, and now the smell and stain are there to stay. Thinking of getting a new one in that style for casual stuff; I see there's an Adagio one on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with that product, or am alternative recommendation for a bottom-dispensing unit?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

graybook posted:

Welp, made the mistake of making using a peach turmeric blend in my Teavana bottom dispensing maker, and now the smell and stain are there to stay. Thinking of getting a new one in that style for casual stuff; I see there's an Adagio one on Amazon. Anyone have any experience with that product, or am alternative recommendation for a bottom-dispensing unit?

I have the adagio one. It is fine, everything comes apart for cleaning. I do wish there were more markings on the side to know how much water to put in. I know one mug is filled to just below the logo, and the other can go up to the middle of the logo.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Guy Axlerod posted:

I have the adagio one. It is fine, everything comes apart for cleaning. I do wish there were more markings on the side to know how much water to put in. I know one mug is filled to just below the logo, and the other can go up to the middle of the logo.

I have a bunch of random mugs at work and will pull out whichever one I feel like using that day, and I probably have a record of overfilling them about 25% of the time. Also sometimes I have to walk really really really slow to my meetings with my almost overflowing mug. I get teased about this, constantly.

I am too stubborn to put the water in the mug first to measure, or add any kind of volume measurement lines on the side of it though. :colbert:

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

graybook posted:

I have the Adagio one, and it's pretty much the same as the Teavana one. It seems a little sturdier, but it's about the same size.

I just had the echinacea green tea from David's Tea's newest wellness line. It's delicious! I don't really care if it's actually boosting my (pathetic) immune system, it's elderberry green tea and is nicely sweet.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Sirotan posted:

Also sometimes I have to walk really really really slow to my meetings with my almost overflowing mug.

:same:

"Stairs or el-"
"Elevator. Definitely elevator."

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Good news everyone! My kettle didn't die, it was just the over-boil protection being wonky. Probably just splashed water on the sensor last night when I was making a cuppa.

Thankfully I held off on buying that other kettle I was looking at, but now I want to get it anyway.. :11tea:

e: no poo poo wait it's dying. Seemed to work fine when I got home, but now it's acting up again. Gonna buy that new kettle now, because even if this one does turn out to be fine I'm getting paranoid about using it.

Bees on Wheat fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 11, 2019

taters
Jun 13, 2005

Every year I order some first-flush Darjeeling. This year I went with Vadham, who seem to mostly sell on Amazon.

They ship directly from India to Amazon's fulfillment network; its definitely the freshest black I've ever had.

It was probably the best Darjeeling I've had since I started ordering them, and will likely use them for most/all of my loose black teas. I'll still get Yorkshire Gold in bags.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/14139201011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VAHDAM

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

taters posted:

Every year I order some first-flush Darjeeling. This year I went with Vadham, who seem to mostly sell on Amazon.

They ship directly from India to Amazon's fulfillment network; its definitely the freshest black I've ever had.

It was probably the best Darjeeling I've had since I started ordering them, and will likely use them for most/all of my loose black teas. I'll still get Yorkshire Gold in bags.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/14139201011?_encoding=UTF8&field-lbr_brands_browse-bin=VAHDAM

You can also order direct from their site. Though I haven’t tried them yet, I’ve been meaning to for a while.

https://www.vahdam.com/

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
Things-that-technically-aren't-tea question -- anyone have a good mint source they like? I wanted to make something the other night that was warm and tasted good, but didn't have caffeine and was all out of my usual mint from Adagio and I'm curious if there's much variation in quality from source to source with mint and would be willing to give a goon recommendation a shot.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Things-that-technically-aren't-tea question -- anyone have a good mint source they like? I wanted to make something the other night that was warm and tasted good, but didn't have caffeine and was all out of my usual mint from Adagio and I'm curious if there's much variation in quality from source to source with mint and would be willing to give a goon recommendation a shot.

Mountain Rose Herbs. They have a few varieties. Mix them up!

Might as well get a few other herbs too. I really like chamomile and mint together, or mint and lavender.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Mint is pretty easy to grow indoors. You can put a few types in the same pot and watch to see which will try to kill all the others. Fresh mint is much better than dried too.

I’ve heard good things about Mountain Rose herbs too though if you’re going the dry route.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I'm lucky enough to live in the town where Mountain Rose Herbs and J-Tea are both located :smugdog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Mountain Rose Herbs. They have a few varieties. Mix them up!

Might as well get a few other herbs too. I really like chamomile and mint together, or mint and lavender.

Jhet posted:

Mint is pretty easy to grow indoors. You can put a few types in the same pot and watch to see which will try to kill all the others. Fresh mint is much better than dried too.

I’ve heard good things about Mountain Rose herbs too though if you’re going the dry route.

Awesome, thank you. I will also only drink the superior mint plant that survives the mint battle royale.

I have a fairly local tea company, but I think they're more into weird flavor-y gimmicks and health benefits type focus than actual tea, which is a bummer. I should at least check them out sometime for kicks and giggles.