Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
The next Golf is going to have a similar interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Intersting story on the Renault City K-ZE

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/29729/the-worlds-most-important-electric-car-is-launching-now-and-its-not-a-porsche-or-tesla%5C

The Renault City K-ZE has just been announced for the Chinese market, where it offers a stunning combination of electric range and low cost. Starting at 61,800 Yuan, or about $8,700 US Dollars, and its 30kWh Tianjin Lishen battery offers a remarkable 250 km, or 155 miles of NEDC-rated range. Even though this ends up resulting in a likely EPA range closer to about 100 miles, the fact that this eminently usable amount of range is available in a useful and well-proven vehicle for under $10,000 is a remarkable achievement.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Yeah pretty weird, nothing like normal VW, maybe they tried to make it out of recycled sewer pipes like the i3 or something. And now there are 2 ipad sticking out of the dashboard. Is the center one supposed to rotate?

For this thing €30k isn't bad, the base Model 3 is like 50 but probably corresponding to the mid-range model, too bad they're not saying how much it'll be. Either way, hopefully they're like 10k used a few years down the road.

Yeah, it uses recycled materials where possible and no use of animals.

I think the car is a really good offering on a dedicated platform. Good that they are going this direction, bad that I don't see myself buying any VW for the next half decade while they work on bringing over a US model I'll buy though.

This is a pretty good look at the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti5QlrBH5Xk

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Ulf posted:

I'm always fascinated by these kind of regulatory incompatibilities, do you have an example of where they conflict? This reminds me of eggwashing.

Planet money did a great episode about it.

https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2018/12/05/673934667/episode-533-why-car-safety-is-a-trade-barrier

Neither standard is better, it just aimed at different drivers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

stevobob posted:

Tell me those aren't loving capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel.
Oh god what a loving terrible choice.

It looks like a Leaf going through i3 puberty. Not terrible, but not super distinct.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

stevobob posted:

Tell me those aren't loving capacitive touch buttons on the steering wheel.

Hmm. Not sure I would anymore.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Looks kinda boring from the outside. I think I liked the SEAT version better, though I assume you'll get the same interior.

All that high gloss black plastic looks like poo poo if you don't obsessively dust it every morning and tends to feel tacky.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Grim Up North posted:

Looks kinda boring from the outside. I think I liked the SEAT version better, though I assume you'll get the same interior.

All that high gloss black plastic looks like poo poo if you don't obsessively dust it every morning and tends to feel tacky.

Its a VW. Its supposed to look boring from the outside because thats what people who buy a VW want.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Apparently some pics of the Hyundai 45 were snagged:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ulf posted:

I'm always fascinated by these kind of regulatory incompatibilities, do you have an example of where they conflict? This reminds me of eggwashing.

I don't have the specific text at issue, but Wiki lists lighting and reflector requirements as one of the more externally obvious incompatibilities. I know the required beam patterns from the headlights are different, with the UN pattern's cutoff angling sharply up to the passenger side while the US pattern has a smaller hump and then levels off.

There are also differences in crash requirements and emissions, though obviously the latter is irrelevant in this case and the former I'm pretty sure can be worked around if one really wants to.

I'm actually somewhat surprised I can't find a single person having done a public deep dive on a "world" car model's parts list to actually determine what physically differs between seemingly identical cars.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can’t import a US Model S into Canada because of 3 differences, which since 2014 or something Tesla will no longer fix for you.

- seat belt release buttons must be red
- there can’t be an option to disable DRL
- some immobilization thing related to the alarm

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Westy543 posted:

Apparently some pics of the Hyundai 45 were snagged:

It looks like a prop from a FPS game on the og playstation

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I’m more amused by this tweet than I should be:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1171657063853973506

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

japtor posted:

I’m more amused by this tweet than I should be:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1171657063853973506

That's a weird way to spell "not the nurburgring."

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Residency Evil posted:

Looking forward to Porsche immediately blowing it away.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There are a few Teslas running drag week this year and it's awesome.

the one is running consistent 10.4s

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Looking forward to Porsche immediately blowing it away.
:bisonyes:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
im excited for the EV power wars

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

im excited for the EV power wars

They're already basically at the limit of tire technology, sooooooooo.......?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Residency Evil posted:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/porsche-taycan-tesla-model-s-nordschleife-rekord-2019/

A Google Translation posted:

Even the tires of the two Nordschleife Model S are an announcement: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R does not usually attract Tesla on its road models. In addition, a container from America arrived at the ring - its content: a large diesel engine. This generates the power to charge the Model S - since it is noisy day and night, it has already attracted the annoyance of local residents. And the residents may be annoyed for a while: Tesla is expected to stay for at least three weeks. Test and voting runs are scheduled every day, and Wednesday, September 18, 2019, is scheduled for a longer trip. On Saturday the 21st of September, all tourist and taxi taxi rides are canceled for two hours, so that Tesla has free access. On Wednesday, September 25th, the track will be reserved for Tesla from 17:00 to 17:45.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Powershift posted:

Hyundai/Kia need to get in on it.

I want 3 second 0-60 in a Kia Soul.

(Not really. Well maybe a little.)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

So was that thing about them not having time reserved a bunch of BS?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Powershift posted:

duallys bro

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Powershift posted:

Formula 1 style pit stops where they hot swap the tires AND batteries.

Idea: what if the tire IS the battery :thunk:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

More like drag radials on all 4 corners for press ringers.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Powershift posted:

Fine tuning the traction control programming and make the feedback loops even faster.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I like that they brought a giant generator with them.

Probably cleaner than power off the German grid though.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Charles posted:

So was that thing about them not having time reserved a bunch of BS?

:shrug:

I don't know if you can schedule NDA'd times or if a truckload of cash was involved, but Road&Track has an updated story now too

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/amp28999141/tesla-could-set-a-nurburgring-lap-time-on-september-21st/

quote:

Our source told us that the Nurburgring issued a schedule change for September 21st, with a 30 minute private window carved out of a session that already had public laps and Ring taxi laps on the calendar.

Given the uh, mercurial nature of Elon, I'm going to guess cash truck.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Qwijib0 posted:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/elektroauto/porsche-taycan-tesla-model-s-nordschleife-rekord-2019/

Even the tires of the two Nordschleife Model S are an announcement: Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 R does not usually attract Tesla on its road models. In addition, a container from America arrived at the ring - its content: a large diesel engine. This generates the power to charge the Model S - since it is noisy day and night, it has already attracted the annoyance of local residents. And the residents may be annoyed for a while: Tesla is expected to stay for at least three weeks. Test and voting runs are scheduled every day, and Wednesday, September 18, 2019, is scheduled for a longer trip. On Saturday the 21st of September, all tourist and taxi taxi rides are canceled for two hours, so that Tesla has free access. On Wednesday, September 25th, the track will be reserved for Tesla from 17:00 to 17:45.

I'm just imagining the Germans at the track looking around confused as a big container painted in the American flag is unexpectedly dropped off by a semi truck. Out of it comes a curious diesel generator the size of a house that begins pumping acrid black smoke into the air as the United States national anthem plays.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

I don't know if you can schedule NDA'd times or if a truckload of cash was involved, but Road&Track has an updated story now too

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/amp28999141/tesla-could-set-a-nurburgring-lap-time-on-september-21st/

So basically they have 3 maybe 4 laps to put down a record? (Maybe 1-2 more if it’s 45 minutes)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Qwijib0 posted:

I like how Road and Track are pretending ringers dont exist and Tesla are doing nothing that anyone else regularly does to proclaim NEW RING RECORD!!!!!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I wonder if we will ever know the driver of these storied attempts?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a place on the forum to talk about solar?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charles posted:

Is there a place on the forum to talk about solar?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076 is about energy generation generally, which includes lots of discussion of solar.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAEuecOZqn8

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Tesla is apparently testing out a three motor configuration.
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1171965230127009793?s=21

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

I picked-up the new Model X this morning and drove it 200 miles home. Some initial thoughts after driving the Model 3 for 9 months:
  • The X feels super big, like ponderously big. It really made me appreciate the nimbleness of the 3, and makes me wonder how heavy a S feels.
  • There's some motion ghosting on the main display that isn't on the 3. The backup camera on the X is noticeably lower resolution than the 3.
  • I definitely prefer the minimalism of the 3's interior. There are buttons everywhere on the X, and the gauge cluster is crowded - it's just something else to look at that doesn't really add anything.
  • The interior materials are nicer than the 3, but I don't think they're twice the cost nicer.
  • The six seat layout is awesome. There's lots of room between the two middle row seats, and headroom is fine.
  • The X engines are louder than the 3 engines.
Overall, while it's a "nicer" and more capable vehicle than the 3, it definitely shows its age and a 3-style interior refresh would be awesome. I wonder if the Y will be a nice compromise between weight, capability, and drivability.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Deteriorata posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505076 is about energy generation generally, which includes lots of discussion of solar.

Oh, yeah, I checked that out, it's more politics discussion kind of stuff, I meant more practically, like asking if the quote I got is good :P

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Elviscat posted:

I like that they brought a giant generator with them.

Probably cleaner than power off the German grid though.

The german grid is 30% regenerative power by now.
And you can just order 100% green energy if you are willing to pay a couple of cents per kwh more.

Theres also like 5 22kw chargers at the ring so i don't get what Teslas problem is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Shai-Hulud posted:

The german grid is 30% regenerative power by now.
And you can just order 100% green energy if you are willing to pay a couple of cents per kwh more.

Theres also like 5 22kw chargers at the ring so i don't get what Teslas problem is!

Please stop trying to destroy America with your clean power. We will charge our car with electricity generated with dinosaur bones like God intended.