Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't say this even as a joke.

*bangs gavel down on a button that sets off a 50ft glowing billboard's sirens while it boldly displays the word "NERD" in eye-burning neon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Shut the gently caress up AOF.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

radmonger posted:

he could even adopt a defensible Brexit strategy
lmao are people seriously still doing this?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't say this even as a joke. It makes us the same as the idiots destroying the world.

I've lost count of how many times I've said literally that facts don't matter because humans are not rational beings. We can, sometimes, employ rational methods to deduce things, but this is not the primary lens of human experience, and you of all people are a testament to that. You literally live your life in eternal cringing terror of change and have constructed your entire worldview to post-hoc rationalise that impulse, you are in no position at all to tell people that facts are very important because you don't believe that yourself.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Firos posted:

Shut the gently caress up AOF.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If we're down to the wire, like there's a week until we crash out and Johnson has somehow managed to weasel out of getting an extension and there's no time to push through a VONC, what do we reckon the odds are at that stage of all the other parties just saying gently caress it and pushing through legislation to immediately revoke Article 50?

https://twitter.com/HugoGye/status/1171367362509062144?s=19

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Stephen Kinnock teaming up with Rory Stewart and a few other brain-damaged MPs to promote the Chequers deal isn't "Labour marching to remain", it's just some people desperate to have their heads in the press.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Borrovan posted:

lmao are people seriously still doing this?

It's radmonger, if he wasn't huffing these farts he'd be back on the anti-Semitism bandwagon.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Stephen Kinnock teaming up with Rory Stewart and a few other brain-damaged MPs to promote the Chequers deal isn't "Labour marching to remain", it's just some people desperate to have their heads in the press.

Stephen Kinnock needs his head pressed into a toilet and for that toilet to then be flushed.

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah there's absolutely no chance revocation gets through.

Re Labour's Brexit stance, I think it's absolutely reasonable and the best that could be hoped for in the circumstances. Unfortunately it's going to be electoral poison if the election is a straight proxy referendum on Brexit, as it is shaping up to be.

Also lol at this:

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1171360400077729792

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Are there any Jewish Labour MPs who think Corbyn is good, actually? Like a Miftan but in Parliament instead of here.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

So what happens for the next five weeks? Johnson swanning round the country in a hi-viz trying to act human? (gently caress all?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxCF65bgups

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobstar posted:

Are there any Jewish Labour MPs who think Corbyn is good, actually? Like a Miftan but in Parliament instead of here.

Ed Miliband and Alex Sobel I guess https://twitter.com/alexsobel

Unfortunately he is also one of the galaxy brains in that meeting with Rory.

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

I've lost count of how many times I've said literally that facts don't matter because humans are not rational beings. We can, sometimes, employ rational methods to deduce things, but this is not the primary lens of human experience, and you of all people are a testament to that.

Oddly enough, this is one of the core pillars of High Toryism.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If we're down to the wire, like there's a week until we crash out and Johnson has somehow managed to weasel out of getting an extension and there's no time to push through a VONC, what do we reckon the odds are at that stage of all the other parties just saying gently caress it and pushing through legislation to immediately revoke Article 50?

IIRC the Prime Minister needs to send a letter to the EU in order to revoke in the same way as for an extension, so if Johnson hasn't done the latter he definitely wouldn't do the former.

However a VONC should be able to replace the government relatively quickly providing the opposition could agree an interim PM. I don't think there's anything preventing them voting out Johnson and voting in someone else within the same day. There's also an effective VONC already scheduled, as a Johnson has to pass a Queen's Speech as soon as parliament returns. If he can't do that, he's done.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

jackhunter64 posted:

Prorogation chat aside, what's the non-poo poo landline ISP of choice these days? I'm moving in a couple of months and can't get Virgin at my new place. Bonus points if I can turn their router to modem mode so I can use my own Airport.

I use Zen. If you want fast upload as well as download you actually want one of their mid-range products which are 80 down, 20 up. Their higherspeed ones have far worse upstream capability.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bobstar posted:

Red Ed's kept fairly quiet for the past few years but he's a good lad and is probably on board with Corbynism.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Barry Foster posted:

Single issue remainers will definitely flock to the Lib Dems

Although I do accept the argument that they'd have never have voted for Labour anyway
What would concern me is if polling (yes I know) shows that the libs have a large enough bloc that neither the Labour or Tory parties can get a majority without them.

In that case we know that they're going to ally with the Tories (even if Labour is an option), but what really concerns me is Swinson saying "I'll ally with Labour if they boot Corbyn and install a right winger sensible, electable centrist." This could then be used to batter Corbyn as standing in the way of remain and a return to the golden days of the 2012 olympics, when the poor stayed in their lane and you never had to read about racism in the guardian.

None of this would be true in reality, but I can absolutely see the media, Libs and Tories uniting behind it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Purple Prince posted:

Oddly enough, this is one of the core pillars of High Toryism.
Yeah but the rest are God, King, Country and other things that only exist so long as enough people believe in them. You can hold to methodological pluralism or even epistemological anarchism and still concede that facts matter within little boxes that we build up as a bulwark against the howling madness of the universe without concluding "therefore monarchs".

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Hey, currently in Rome eating lovely food and looking at a bunch of ruins. What am I missing?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pretty much the same but without the lovely food.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Bobstar posted:

Pretty sure Gerald Kaufman would've been on board. rip

If we work hard enough in about 10 years I can be an MP. I'll dedicate my maiden speech to assuring people that I do, in fact, have stairs in my house and that chocolate oranges should be outlawed.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Pretty much the same but without the lovely food.

I don't think BoJo will be held in the same historical reverence as the Flavian Dynasty tbh.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Tesseraction posted:

Stephen Kinnock needs his head pressed into a toilet and for that toilet to then be flushed.

I'm not sure that didn't already happen.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

:frogon:

https://twitter.com/OGMurphy1/status/1171360184817639430

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Anyone who looks at the world right now and thinks "facts actually matter and people are rational" is deranged. If they mattered we wouldn't be here.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

gently caress off “intriguingly”, I think he meant to write “ludicrously”.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

The Deleter posted:

I don't think BoJo will be held in the same historical reverence as the Flavian Dynasty tbh.

We can probably slip two more PMs in by the end of December, so maybe.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Well I mean if that leaked summary is accurate, then yes it does seem like it wouldn't play very well lmao.

And given the statements on body bags, insulin shortages, etc. have proven correct there's every indication of it.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Anyone who looks at the world right now and thinks "facts actually matter and people are rational" is deranged. If they mattered we wouldn't be here.

This sounds like a fact so it doesn't matter.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Miftan posted:

Pretty sure Gerald Kaufman would've been on board. rip

If we work hard enough in about 10 years I can be an MP. I'll dedicate my maiden speech to assuring people that I do, in fact, have stairs in my house and that chocolate oranges should be outlawed.

Shut up and take my vote!

If you outlaw mint chocolate as well I'll even volunteer to drive old people to the polling station (if they too hate incorrect chocolate).

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The Deleter posted:

Hey, currently in Rome eating lovely food and looking at a bunch of ruins. What am I missing?
The rest of Italy, Rome is an overpriced shithole.

Go see the vatican and then spend the rest of your trip in Florence or the tuscan countryside.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

This sounds like a fact so it doesn't matter.

So does this.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

AceOfFlames posted:

Don't say this even as a joke. It makes us the same as the idiots destroying the world.

My friend have you considered chilling the gently caress out and learning to laugh about things every now and again

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The test of Italy, Rome is an overpriced shithole.

Go see the vatican and then spend the rest of your trip in Florence or the tuscan countryside.

[extremely Ezio voice] that's-a Firenze

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tesseraction posted:

So does this.

I feel however that you're alright and so I choose to believe you anyway!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Didn't someone say the Welsh have them? if so, and Bojo refuses, whats to stop them from releasing something parliment has asked for.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

ThomasPaine posted:

My friend have you considered chilling the gently caress out and learning to laugh about things every now and again

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Grey Hunter posted:

Didn't someone say the Welsh have them? if so, and Bojo refuses, whats to stop them from releasing something parliment has asked for.

Me, quoting errr... Leanne Wood? Welsh lady MP wasn't actually looking at the screen.

They're under the official secrets act according to her, and parlaiment didn't ask the welsh government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Bobby Deluxe posted:

What would concern me is if polling (yes I know) shows that the libs have a large enough bloc that neither the Labour or Tory parties can get a majority without them.

In that case we know that they're going to ally with the Tories (even if Labour is an option), but what really concerns me is Swinson saying "I'll ally with Labour if they boot Corbyn and install a right winger sensible, electable centrist." This could then be used to batter Corbyn as standing in the way of remain and a return to the golden days of the 2012 olympics, when the poor stayed in their lane and you never had to read about racism in the guardian.

None of this would be true in reality, but I can absolutely see the media, Libs and Tories uniting behind it.
ikwym, but this is basically the exact same thing that actually happened a few weeks ago with the whole Gnu's Not Unity thing. The Labour response was, rightly, "gently caress off, it is not up to the LDs to decide who gets to lead the Labour Party", it was very obvious to everyone that it was the LDs and not Corbyn being obstructionist, and the Labour right stayed quiet on the fear of deselection. I think that last part's the key one: these kinds of circumstance can only come up when there's a realistic possibility of a Labour Government, which is coincidentally when the gloves come off for any Labour MP not supporting that, so none of them will stand out of line, and there's absolutely zero possibility of a coup without the PLP on board.