Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Here’s something I’ve been messing around with off and on for the last few weeks:

Handle With Care
Course ID: F87-5YW-2FG
Difficulty: Expert
Multiplayer Friendly?: No

This features a gimmick I don’t think I’ve seen but has probably actually been done a thousand times. You have to transport a red POW block to the goal by carefully tossing it carefully. If you mess up the whole level will be destroyed. It’s pretty short and I wanted it to be fairly easy but i’m sure it will end up classified as expert anyway as usually happens to any level that requires the player to do anything out of the ordinary.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Made a few levels this weekend!

Blast Radius H3B-STN-81G
Blast Radius 1.2 106-3S7-WPF

Use the POW to destroy only some of the coins by entering the pipe while the pow detonates. These are essentially the same level; the first gives you a tiny bit of leeway while the second requires a perfectly timed pipe entry.

Power-up Pipes YV6-8B8-5KF

Use the different 3D-World powerups to collect pink coins.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

J-Spot posted:

Handle With Care
Course ID: F87-5YW-2FG

I liked it! I had to sweet spot a couple throws, but that was just user error. It was fun and I really liked the ending with the death parade.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

May Contain Nuts posted:

Made a few levels this weekend!

Blast Radius H3B-STN-81G
Blast Radius 1.2 106-3S7-WPF

Use the POW to destroy only some of the coins by entering the pipe while the pow detonates. These are essentially the same level; the first gives you a tiny bit of leeway while the second requires a perfectly timed pipe entry.

I was able to cheese both of these by tossing first pow, grabbing all coins, go pipe get second pow return through pipe, move right or left and toss pow up very quickly, didn’t realize it was supposed to be pipe entry timing.

quote:

Power-up Pipes YV6-8B8-5KF

Use the different 3D-World powerups to collect pink coins.

This was a nice introduction to the ways other levels will expect you to use the powerups. I didn’t know about builder blocks stopping thwomps, cool!

Thank you for the beautiful artwork, Phantasium!

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

I can't wait to see how this stage is accidentally broken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

There was no ulterior motive for creating this level.

At least, none levied towards goons.

Bowser 3 Fights are Terrible
Y2B-QFS-KYG

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
Piranha Poison Pond - 52X-J91-Y9G - Did you like Muddy Mountain? Great! Because this was made at the same time and has the same theme except with Mario World stuff.

tonberi
Oct 17, 2003

I made a... something. I think it's a good moon ghost house.
TG9-6FH-MTG Teresa's AirBNB
As the description says, just grab the red coin key and go to sleep in your room, don't bother checking any of the other doors or anything. They all lead to death minigames

YG2-PQT-G0G A Perfectly Normal Bridge
NSMB stage with helicopter power up and too many coins, intended to be rather easy, difficulty is right around a four year old can make it to the checkpoint sometimes and delight in all of the shinies.

Also reuploaded PJ7-GJ6-VFG Rounddog Hill v3 after someone got softlocked and pointed it out, and congrats and thank you to Phantasium for putting in the time and effort to clear it! This is still a vertical climb in ice physics with lots of really tight jumps. Check the scenery for a few hints about the type of jumps expected.

Phantasium posted:

Bowser 3 Fights are Terrible
Y2B-QFS-KYG

This was fun, I wish all bowsers would break bricks when they jump, not just smb3 bowser. I wonder what ever could have inspired this? Hard to pick a favorite out of six different great Bowser fights, maybe the second one with the claws...

OneMoreTime posted:

Bomb Dog Desert
RFF-LN9-X1H

Woof woof boom boom I guess I sort of broke it by not being fast enough for the last section, but I was able to just damage boost out anyway. So many good dogs in this stage, going to have to pet them all, very fun and satisfying stage to play through with a great little teaching moment at the start.

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Piranha Poison Pond
52X-J91-Y9G

This was fun to discover the fast route on, and very cathartic to have a lot of goombas to throw into the poison for some reason.

Little Mac posted:

Keep Shell & Carry Goomba
52B-HY7-2KF

Oh right, it was because of this stage. That first section took a lot more time to figure out than the second section, and I also ended up keeping a galoomba from shore safe on the seesaw instead of using the dropping goombas. Frustrating to learn, but once I figure it out it was pretty fun!

tonberi fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 9, 2019

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious

tonberi posted:

I was able to cheese both of these

I was trying to cheese it but I wasn't able to. Maybe I'll try to retool it. I really want to make it so that you have to enter the pipe during the pow detonation.

tonberi posted:

builder blocks

Also if you enter the pipe late enough for the block to come back down, it will block the pipe exit and not let you exit.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Played through the BoB levels this evening, great work goons!

mektarian
Mar 21, 2005

Gizmo Lab
HPW-2JN-0YF

After a bit of a hiatus, mostly because of Fire Emblem, I've finished a level where you can pick a pipe (or door). The lab theme is twofold, one is that it's supposed to be in a lab where various experiments are carried out. I also experimented with 3d world's gizmos, since that style has more limitations than the others.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

tonberi posted:

Woof woof boom boom I guess I sort of broke it by not being fast enough for the last section, but I was able to just damage boost out anyway. So many good dogs in this stage, going to have to pet them all, very fun and satisfying stage to play through with a great little teaching moment at the start.

One thing I learned is I really should have signposted or just gave up and put an arrow because now that I've watched a few streamers I've noticed no one seems to get you can just ride those posts down. Good learning moment for me.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

Macaluso posted:

Someone design a world map image!!!!

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I gave it a go. I didn't actually make any levels for this world, so I made this instead:

I was going for a "based off of Mario 3, but not actually Mario 3" thing. I tried to abide by the NES "only 4 colors per tile" rule but didn't care about maximum numbers of palettes or unique tiles or whatever.

There was a lot of interpretations to make, so I hope I did alright. I vouched for branching paths over linear, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with the "challenge" levels, so I just folded them back in there amongst the branches.

Totally open to suggestions/corrections if anyone has any.

Anyway, enjoy!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Last Visible Dog posted:

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I gave it a go.

Let me be the first to say that this looks real freakin' good.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

As always, I'll be streaming tonight at 6 pm PDT/ 9 pm EDT, so come on down and see your level played! And if you don't see you yours, feel free to put in a level request (either by just posting in the thread here or using the !add command in twitch chat.)

Levels to be played:

https://www.twitch.tv/onemoretimegfsn

1. Boom Boom's Airship Kaboom v2
by: Tonberi MC1-X8C-MTG

2. Banzai Bill's Precarious Peak
By: Macaluso CH9-QNC-7DG

3. Knee-Deep in Dry Bones
By: Blakyoshi 1LW-7WR-MTF

4. Aunt Blooper's Flowing Forest
By: Tonberi R97-024-V9G

5. Blast Radius
By: May Contain Nuts H3B-STN-81G

6. Swingin Through the Sky
By: BlakYoshi PVD-NY7-9RF

7. Fall of the Golden Tower
By: Too Shy Guy 9ND-201-8JG

8. Switch Track Skyway
By: Blakyoshi FJ1-LV7-1PF

9. Keep Shell and Carry Goomba
By: Little Mac 52B-HY7-2KF

10. Handle With Care
By: J-Spot F87-5YW-2FG

11. Power-up Pipes
By: May Contain Nuts YV6-8B8-5KF

12. Bowser 3 Fights are Terrible
By: Phantasium Y2B-QFS-KYG

13. Piranha Poison Pond
By: Gnome Enthusiast 52X-J91-Y9G

14. Teresa's AirBNB
By: Tonberi TG9-6FH-MTG

15. Gizmo Lab
By: Mektarian HPW-2JN-0YF

Last Visible Dog posted:

I hope I'm not stepping on any toes here, but I gave it a go. I didn't actually make any levels for this world, so I made this instead:

I was going for a "based off of Mario 3, but not actually Mario 3" thing. I tried to abide by the NES "only 4 colors per tile" rule but didn't care about maximum numbers of palettes or unique tiles or whatever.

There was a lot of interpretations to make, so I hope I did alright. I vouched for branching paths over linear, and I wasn't quite sure what to do with the "challenge" levels, so I just folded them back in there amongst the branches.

Anyway, enjoy!

This looks so good. I think you nailed the NES aesthetic perfectly!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Last Visible Dog posted:

Anyway, enjoy!

Yes!!!!!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Anyway, enjoy!

Great! It would be best if the challenge levels were optional so, I would put 6 and 7 on the same route. I also felt that 3 was thematically a lead in to 4, so they could be on the same path.

Last Visible Dog
Jul 30, 2015

DalaranJ posted:

Great! It would be best if the challenge levels were optional so, I would put 6 and 7 on the same route. I also felt that 3 was thematically a lead in to 4, so they could be on the same path.

Sure, that makes sense.
Here's a revision:

I put 3 on the bottom route with 4, and gave it another little creek to make its name thematic.
I also swapped 7 and 8. I just swapped the texts on the bottom, since it was a simple enough fix and I think that was the actual original order of the levels anyway. Now the bottom path at the end is entirely challenge levels!

(Edit: whoops, misspelled "Shuddershade"!)

Last Visible Dog fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 10, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm excited for the next one of these + more of these maps :toot:

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I'm excited for the next one of these + more of these maps :toot:

I’m trying to work out the next instruction set so I can put it up tomorrow, the anniversary, of the release of Super Mario Maker 1.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that there's a canon route too so people can speedrun the whole world if they wanted.

May Contain Nuts
Sep 12, 2007

but still delicious
Blast Radius 1.3 RP7-C7K-P3G

Definitely less cheesable. Dunno if uncheesable. If this doesn't work I'll do a completely different design with this concept, I'm not going to keep retooling this design. Also I cleared this on the first attempt!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Last Visible Dog posted:

Sure, that makes sense.
Here's a revision:

I put 3 on the bottom route with 4, and gave it another little creek to make its name thematic.
I also swapped 7 and 8. I just swapped the texts on the bottom, since it was a simple enough fix and I think that was the actual original order of the levels anyway. Now the bottom path at the end is entirely challenge levels!

I added this to the twitter thread, thanks!

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

Last Visible Dog posted:

Here's a revision:

Many hugs for you, this is beautiful and it makes me wish Nintendo would make things like this actually possible.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Going live in 15 minutes with some goon levels!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, this SMB3 world theme is based off of some courses from Super Mario Maker 1. Not just the Solar 'Jump'man courses I made, but moreso courses like Evil Eagle's Dr. Molenaut's Mean Moon Base, Facts Are Useless' grave robbers from outer space, and from SMM2 Suspicious Cook's Menacing Magikoopas from Mars.

This theme will be a lot looser.

https://twitter.com/SAMarioMaker/status/1171641017675784198
Mario Solar System
Story:
An army from outer space is kidnapping koopa troopa and turning them into dry bones. Mario needs to head into outer space and take the battle to the Space Force's home planet to rescue the Koopas.

Instructions:
When you publish you course start the name with the label "MSS:"
Submit your courses to the jam spreadsheet so they can be organized.
Post in the thread the basic course theme for your planet because we want a lot of variety.
If you want to elaborate on your course idea that would be cool, because another person could build on those story themes. (I have no idea how this would work, and take no responsibility for it's inevitable failure.)
Make a course in the SMB3 style.

Course Guidelines:
Use the underground theme to represent 'outer space'.
Usually either the main area or the subarea of the course should be 'outer space'. The other area will represent the planet Mario is visiting. (Outer Space can be used as much or as little as you want in your course.)
Each planet should be unique and unusual. Use new gizmos and night themes to mix things up.
The main enemy ground troops are monty moles, rocky wrench's and shoe goombas. Many of them with wings.
The Space Force also has a lot of weaponry, so you can include bill blasters, cannons, and even pipes that 'shoot' flying enemies. Often these will be attached to their 'ships'.
Course difficulty should be easy to moderate. (I said, immediately after encouraging you to use a bunch of the harder enemy types together.)
Mario (and friends) can fight back using all the varied powerups at their disposal, plus some pipes to generate allies like koopas and bob-ombs to kick to take out the badguys.
You can use clear conditions, but if you do make sure to make your course short enough that it isn't frustrating.

Course Ideas:
Starting out there could be a level that shows the initial invasion, and how Mario gets into space.
Plenty of 'planet' courses as Mario makes his way through space. Will Mario find allies in his fight against the Space Force?
Levels where Mario is traveling through space, maybe breaking into enemy ships and blowing them up. Could be room for some scrolling stages.
Do the enemies have giant battle robots? Does Mario have a giant battle robot? Why the hell not?
A potential fortress level would probably be blowing up an enemy battlecruiser or something.
The final stage will be arriving at the enemy planet to confront the mysterious leader of the invaders. Is it really just Magikoopas, or something else? (Andross?!?) Will Mario be forced to blow up the planet core? Will the surviving Koopa escape? Will they help Mario in his fight?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 12, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

When the theme is finalized, I hope the world is named something a bit more like a world. Like I hope the "Mars Needs Turtles" title is just for an overall feel of the theme and not the world name.

OneMoreTime posted:

Going live in 15 minutes with some goon levels!

Thanks for playing again! I couldn't watch live. Yeah there were some parts in that level where I sacrificed better signposting just cause I wanted to get that kind of level out. One thing that was hard was the one bullet bills where you had to wait for the block to fall, and not run through them. I probably should've just made that a wall like the first part. Hooray for you beating it! The ending gauntlet went smoother than I was expecting. The part where you have to slow down and let the Bill go forward could probably have been signposted better but I'm not sure how I could've gone about it.

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Sep 11, 2019

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Macaluso posted:

When the theme is finalized, I hope the world is named something a bit more like a world. Like I hope the "Mars Needs Turtles" title is just for an overall feel of the theme and not the world name.

Thanks for playing again! I couldn't watch live. Yeah there were some parts in that level where I sacrificed better signposting just cause I wanted to get that kind of level out. One thing that was hard was the one bullet bills where you had to wait for the block to fall, and not run through them. I probably should've just made that a wall like the first part. Hooray for you beating it! The ending gauntlet went smoother than I was expecting. The part where you have to slow down and let the Bill go forward could probably have been signposted better but I'm not sure how I could've gone about it.

What do you want me to name it?

Stardust Satellite Zone?

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 11, 2019

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Something like that. I'm sure others might have better ideas than me. Of course if everyone else is fine with Mars Needs Turtles then it's whatever :v:

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

And that's a stream! Thanks for everyone who showed up, it ended up being a strong crowd. Lot of tough non-goon levels right at the start as well.

VOD: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/479779092

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

DalaranJ posted:

What do you want me to name it?

Stardust Satellite Zone?

Super Star Wars

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mario Solar System

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Not what I'd go for as a world but I can make it work I guess. Think I'll make a course about hopping across tiny planets or something.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Koopas are from Jupiter, Goombas are from Uranus

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Control Volume posted:

Mario Solar System

I like this one.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Last Visible Dog posted:

Sure, that makes sense.
Here's a revision:

This is super cool, thanks for doing this!

I'm also very much hyped for another community world! Seems like a good excuse to experiment with sky and airship night modes for low-g and zero-g encounters.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Last Visible Dog posted:

Sure, that makes sense.
Here's a revision:

This is a really lovely map and makes sharing this world a lot easier. Thanks so much for making it.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I bought MM2 when it was released but didn’t really play it much as other games got in the way. But lately I’ve had a real MM2 itch and I’ve got to say that I am blown away by the consistently high quality of goons’ levels in comparison to pubbies’. So many great maps to play, so cheers to all of you.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Star posted:

I bought MM2 when it was released but didn’t really play it much as other games got in the way. But lately I’ve had a real MM2 itch and I’ve got to say that I am blown away by the consistently high quality of goons’ levels in comparison to pubbies’. So many great maps to play, so cheers to all of you.

I can echo this, every time I stream goon levels it's always going to be a good time, or at least an interesting one. I've learned so many weird mechanics from the various levels that it definitely inspires that creative itch.

Speaking of the itch, I'm looking forward to the second goon world, I'll be throwing my level together this Sunday. The Koopa replicators are going to be working overtime in my level...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

Blue Red Green Ravine - HH6-7HB-6XF - The idea was to take a simple pattern and repeat it endlessly. I, uh, think I did that.

The Spookysphere - 3KG-MSV-DJF - I don't know how I feel about this title. Anyway, this is another one that sat on my system forever until I tweaked it slightly so have fun!