Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wa27 posted:

My top 5 is basically just the release order. I lump Q/A together with Duty Now almost as equals though. They've both superb.

I really like Mr. B's Ballroom.

The non-singles from Freedom are really some of the best material, Snowball is probably my favorite. The whole pile of the early records, I can't really pick one over the other, they're all fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

hexwren posted:

The non-singles from Freedom are really some of the best material, Snowball is probably my favorite. The whole pile of the early records, I can't really pick one over the other, they're all fantastic.

Speaking of singles, why are the b-sides better so much of the time? The b-side of Whip It is loving Turnaround.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sporklift posted:

The deluxe edition of Black Velvet is pretty cheap right now. I could do without the velvet box but the rest of the package is pretty rad.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GVXL5CM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Somewhere Alannah Myles quivers w/rage

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of singles, why are the b-sides better so much of the time? The b-side of Whip It is loving Turnaround.

Do bands pick the singles or do the labels? I am actually wondering. Singles seem like they are usually the most accessible and catchy song, which would help sell records, and not necessarily the more interesting music a band might make. B-sides also have the benefit of, usually, being a song not released otherwise, so it’s feels fresh in comparison. I always am more interested in a B-side.

I remember when Animal Collective was on Conan or some other late night show and played #1 which surprised and confused everyone. There’s a good screen cap of the subtitles. I’m pretty sure this is it.

edit: spelling

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 10, 2019

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

I love Working in a Coal Mine too, though the entire Heavy Metal soundtrack is fuckin awesome. One of my favorite post-Budokan Cheap Trick songs too

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Toe Rag posted:

Do bands pick the singles or do the labels?

This totally depends.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Full restoration from the original tapes of Gene Clark's masterpiece helmed by 4AD:

http://geneclark.4ad.com

Can't say I'm very interested in the $150 box set version considering there doesn't seem to be a lot of extra material surrounding this record; the last time it was released we got some demos/working versions of the same album tunes, and this seems to add just more session mixes without any of the overdubs. But I will definitely pick up the LP.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
my fluance rt84 arrived yesterday!

and this is going to apparently sound BETTER in 30 hours of play?

gently caress I'm in love

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahaha, that image has been floating around forever but I didn't know it was Animal Collective until you said it, but clearly that's Animal Collective.

Also: a pretty accurate representation of #1.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

1000 umbrellas posted:

Full restoration from the original tapes of Gene Clark's masterpiece helmed by 4AD:

Can't say I'm very interested in the $150 box set version considering there doesn't seem to be a lot of extra material surrounding this record; the last time it was released we got some demos/working versions of the same album tunes, and this seems to add just more session mixes without any of the overdubs. But I will definitely pick up the LP.

Hey man, thanks so much for this heads up. I've been watching for that album on eBay for awhile now and rarely see it dip below $40.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

1000 umbrellas posted:

:same:
I don’t know the rest of the album but no other is an amazing track.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Banano posted:

1000 umbrellas posted:

If anyone buys this and doesn’t want the SACDs, please please please please please sell them to me. I love No Other to death but I already have an original pressing so I can’t justify the cost of the box.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Banano posted:

You gotta get in there- the rest of the album far surpasses the title track even.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeJSvoc2rlw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzbZQePLyBg

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

'90s Dance era-Sparks never did anything for me, but Gratuitous Sax & Senseless Violins is getting reissued along with a new three LP best-of compilation.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Time to add some Money to the vinyl collection. Eddie Money, that is.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/13/entertainment/eddie-money-cancer-death-trnd/index.html

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I will continue to happily not have any Money in my record collection, thank you

The only downside of this is having to hear yokels play “Two Tickets to Paradise” on the jukebox for the next ~year

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I feel like Eddie Money records aren't going to jump in price because only old people give a poo poo about him. It's not like Prince or David Bowie where the music has an appeal to young people and can thus be price gouged. Eddie Money is firmly in the dad rock genre.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

CPL593H posted:

I feel like Eddie Money records aren't going to jump in price because only old people give a poo poo about him. It's not like Prince or David Bowie where the music has an appeal to young people and can thus be price gouged. Eddie Money is firmly in the dad rock genre.

Hell, Take Me Home Tonight would have been his dad's rock genre by use of Ronnie Spector.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I’m 35. More people younger than me in my office posted on Slack about Money’s death than Tom Petty’s or Prince’s and I don’t know what the hell.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Finally broke down today and upgraded from my LP60 and also preordered the Final Fantasy 7 Remake vinyl.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

His hits are pretty popular, but honestly, I doubt there's much interest in his albums. Like, if I had any Mony, it would be a greatest hits set or something like that.

And Take Me Home Tonight is an eternal song, and I will fight anyone with a chainsaw over that fact.

So if you have a chainsaw and disagree, come at me!

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
https://youtu.be/HZqPY-Zoh7o

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Asnorban posted:

I’m 35. More people younger than me in my office posted on Slack about Money’s death than Tom Petty’s or Prince’s and I don’t know what the hell.

Your coworkers are boring rear end squares.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Eddie Money isn't an album artist but Take Me Home Tonight and Baby Hold On are both great singles

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blast Fantasto posted:

Eddie Money isn't an album artist but Take Me Home Tonight and Baby Hold On are both great singles

Those are the only Eddie Money songs anyone's ever heard. The aforementioned Tom Petty is the superior dad rocker.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

CPL593H posted:

Those are the only Eddie Money songs anyone's ever heard. The aforementioned Tom Petty is the superior dad rocker.

I mean is anyone saying Eddie Money is on the same level? Tom Petty had hits in 4 decades and at least like 6 great albums.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

CPL593H posted:

Those are the only Eddie Money songs anyone's ever heard.
Shakin was in Guitar Hero. Or Rock Band? One of them.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

What about Two Tickets to Paradise.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

My Lovely Horse posted:

Shakin was in Guitar Hero. Or Rock Band? One of them.

And one of the best videos on beavis and butthead

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Cemetry Gator posted:

Or the lyrical majesty of “Shakin’”:

quote:

We started drinkin', weren't thinkin' too straight
She was doin' 80 and she slammed on the brakes
Got so high we had to pull to the side
Her tits were shakin' ‘til the middle of the night
Shakin’

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I've got a hunger, it's a hunger

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's an alright song I guess but I don't really care about it.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Money had

Baby Hold On
Two Tickets to Paradise
Walk on Water
Shakin'
Take Me Home Tonight
Think I'm in Love

which all entered eternal repeat on radio and that's five more tunes than a lot of people

The real problem is that the AV Undercover videos have all been pulled down and Coliseum had a great cover of Shakin'. Heavy riffage and the big sax line, good stuff.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hexwren posted:

Money had

Baby Hold On
Two Tickets to Paradise
Walk on Water
Shakin'
Take Me Home Tonight
Think I'm in Love

which all entered eternal repeat on radio and that's five more tunes than a lot of people

The real problem is that the AV Undercover videos have all been pulled down and Coliseum had a great cover of Shakin'. Heavy riffage and the big sax line, good stuff.

I only know Baby Hold On, Two Tickets, and Take Me Home Tonight. I don't dislike Eddie Money, I just don't care.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CPL593H posted:

I don't dislike Eddie Money, I just don't care.

This is a reasonable stance to take.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w53clUeqrk

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

hexwren posted:

Money had

Baby Hold On
Two Tickets to Paradise
Walk on Water
Shakin'
Take Me Home Tonight
Think I'm in Love

The loss of AV Undercover has been a seriously crushing blow in my life.

That they never actually published the list of songs for the final years was like your significant other treating you like an rear end in a top hat before dumping you to help you get over the heartache faster.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Boinks posted:

I've got a hunger, it's a hunger

Be my little baby

Be my little babyyyyyy

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

CPL593H posted:

If you say you haven't heard Two Tickets to Paradise or Shakin you're a loving liar.

But yes Tom Petty was the better rocker, dad or otherwise.

Asnorban posted:

Obviously they're far superior artists but basic people really love Two Tickets to Paradise. It's like Margaritaville.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

The loss of AV Undercover has been a seriously crushing blow in my life.

That they never actually published the list of songs for the final years was like your significant other treating you like an rear end in a top hat before dumping you to help you get over the heartache faster.

The last couple years did less for me than earlier on, their insistence on not bringing back artists (except when they did) really hamstrung them. There's groups and covers I dug from the last few seasons, but it genericized the sound a lot. It could still be argued it peaked with the very first episode, Ted Leo's Tears For Fears cover is loving great.

Now, in terms of whose records are going to become even more stupid expensive, Daniel Johnston.