Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Angry Lobster posted:

The worst part of feeding is that there's always one fucker that roleplays it like creepy foreplay, oh and Larpers, gently caress Larpers forever.

Plus it's spotlight time that comes at the cost of nobody else getting to play.

Like, I don't have the time or inclination to watch a group one on one roleplay out their sexual-assault metaphors. Rules coding that into an integral part of the experience seems wasteful at best and psychologically unhealthy at worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jhet posted:

Basically, if it's not adding something to your table, don't use it. If it's fun for the people at your table, use it. Attempts to generalize to all tables are futile.

I'm not saying grind out every feeding session ever, God no - and in fact there's a post I made not too far upthread where I think it's cool and good to make feeding a hassle and when you should just assume it with a dice roll - but more which splat RAW has the hardest time topping off their tank.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

LatwPIAT posted:

Can an average ST make feeding - a situation that VTM/VTR fiction and rules often portrays as individul, sometimes even as perfunctory as having a lunch break - interesting for everyone at the table? I'd say the answer here is far more likely to be "not really", because characters acting on their own just isn't very easy to make interesting in most games, and VTM/VTR doesn't really have all that many well-written tools to help make it interesting. (There are some but from what I can recall they're somewhat situational.)

When we do individual scenes (or just scenes where part of the group is missing) I usually draft the players with absent characters to play the NPCs. It is a pretty system agnostic approach that keeps people engaged, still won't apply to every scene.

We still usually skip feeding scenes unless a) it's a slow part of the plot, so let's do character moments or b) characters needs blood fast or in another exceptional circumstance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Zereth posted:

Or just have the squad of cops come in, take a blood point off each, and remind them to come back next week for their scheduled biweekly ghoul maintenance
I'm now imagining a cop who gets ghouled by like every power player in the city because A. he likes how it tastes and B. he's like the night guy for Narcotics, and some neonate fucks up by sucking the one remaining point of human blood out of him, causing him to spontaneously auto-Embrace.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

This one cop immediately jumps up to power player status simply by virtue of knowing everyone who's bribing him and why.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

Plus it's spotlight time that comes at the cost of nobody else getting to play.

Like, I don't have the time or inclination to watch a group one on one roleplay out their sexual-assault metaphors. Rules coding that into an integral part of the experience seems wasteful at best and psychologically unhealthy at worst.

You are a selfish player who clearly has an issue with someone in your group. That's not a feeding issue!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Mors Rattus posted:

This one cop immediately jumps up to power player status simply by virtue of knowing everyone who's bribing him and why.

Blood Potency: Yes

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Metapod posted:

You are a selfish player who clearly has an issue with someone in your group. That's not a feeding issue!

Somebody who hogs the spotlight all the time for feeding is the same as the guy who insists on roleplaying his shopping list in D&D.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

Blood Potency: Yes
His theme at Elysium is "Hot Cop" by the Village People.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nessus posted:

His theme at Elysium is "Hot Cop" by the Village People.

Note to self: vampire game centered around the dark side of the WWE, Prince McMahon insists everyone has to have entrance music at Elysium.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Does flipping from ghoul to full vampire clear blood bonds, or is supercop just now even more deeply under the thumb of everybody in town?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I'm not saying grind out every feeding session ever, God no - and in fact there's a post I made not too far upthread where I think it's cool and good to make feeding a hassle and when you should just assume it with a dice roll - but more which splat RAW has the hardest time topping off their tank.

That's fair, but I think my point is useful for the rest of the conversation.

For me it was ascension, but only because it was terribly difficult trying to get anyone to play it where I grew up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Does flipping from ghoul to full vampire clear blood bonds, or is supercop just now even more deeply under the thumb of everybody in town?
That depends on how long the guy was on the take. I think you can only have one full Bond at once but you can have multiple 1 or 2-level bonds, and since in this scenario the Hot Cop is possibly getting stuffed full of blood on a semi-daily basis, he might effectively have some kind of interior vaulderie going on.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Nessus posted:

That depends on how long the guy was on the take. I think you can only have one full Bond at once but you can have multiple 1 or 2-level bonds, and since in this scenario the Hot Cop is possibly getting stuffed full of blood on a semi-daily basis, he might effectively have some kind of interior vaulderie going on.
Loyalties pictured below:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Somebody who hogs the spotlight all the time for feeding is the same as the guy who insists on roleplaying his shopping list in D&D.

Lmfao it's not even hogging the spotlight its just doing a small scene by yourself.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Metapod posted:

Lmfao it's not even hogging the spotlight its just doing a small scene by yourself.

Eveything is starting to make sense now.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think if I were running Vampire I would have the player just make a check to feed at first, but I'd start a (visible, player-facing) clock that fills up each time they feed, and fills up faster if they fail a roll. When it fills up, I'd have them play out a scene where things get complicated in one way or another.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
A couple of my werewolf players joined the game a year after we had started, at that point in the plot, the pack was getting ready to investigate an indigenous village that had appeared in the swamp that the local history department was interested in cataloging, but kept getting chased off by some survivalists who had a nearby compound. When these three players joined up, they all took the option of being stuck in time in the abandoned village as that allowed me to give each of them some key plot information and a reason to join the pack.

One of them is "useless", which the player is just being too hard on themselves, but their character has zero combat skills. Not even my only player like that, but it doesn't bother my other non-combat woof. Right now, in our big battle at the research lab, their character ended up getting shot badly and ran away (good character development!) and now, instead of joining the rest of this army of the night assaulting this lab, they're gathering the bodies of the dead mercenaries and performing funeral rites. SPECIFICALLY SO THERE ARE NO ANGRY GHOSTS.

Of course, this means, I'm going to make their character an anchor for some NOT ANGRY GHOSTS. I've only breezed through geist and have never done ghost stuff in my games before. The rules look pretty much like spirit rules only substitute Underworld for Shadow. Anything special I can do to make ghosts feel different from spirits? The character does have the gift that allows them to see ghosts.

EDIT: The most difficult splat to refuel is Demon. If you don't have the merit, you need to assault angels or infrastructure!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The important thing is ghosts are human. Spirits aren't. Ghosts have wants and needs based on their human lives, the people they left behind, their fears of what's to come and so on. They don't give a poo poo about resonance - they "feed" on the energy generated by memorials and other recollections of the living for them (and, y'know, sacrifices to them and so on). They tend to be weaker than spirits, but they also are easier to talk to. You don't have to reframe stuff to fit their obsessive alien minds, because they don't have those. They're people and understand people things.

Also, and this is important, most ghosts are literate, and most spirits aren't outside of First Tongue. Ghosts make much better spies.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

moths posted:

It is, isn't it?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Note to self: vampire game centered around the dark side of the WWE, Prince McMahon insists everyone has to have entrance music at Elysium.

:allears: Vampire Vince has the potential to be one of the funniest, and also probably extremely terrifying characters to be thought up in this thread.

E: 3 faces of Foley as a Malkavian.

Somehow Elder Hardluck gets thrown off the top of a cell through a table because of course.

Speaking of, did anyone ever stat out Elder Hardluck? Because I kinda want to steal him for my own games.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

:allears: Vampire Vince has the potential to be one of the funniest, and also probably extremely terrifying characters to be thought up in this thread.

E: 3 faces of Foley as a Malkavian.

Somehow Elder Hardluck gets thrown off the top of a cell through a table because of course.

Speaking of, did anyone ever stat out Elder Hardluck? Because I kinda want to steal him for my own games.

Daeva Invictus, rolls hard on Majesty but turns it off frequently because he likes to be challenged. It is unclear exactly how much he's been helping the local Carthian movement on the sly to give himself an opposition to crush, and indeed no one's totally sure if he even knows how many plots are shoots or works any more.

e: he has also never seen a vampire movie.

Not even one.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Mors Rattus posted:

The important thing is ghosts are human. Spirits aren't. Ghosts have wants and needs based on their human lives, the people they left behind, their fears of what's to come and so on. They don't give a poo poo about resonance - they "feed" on the energy generated by memorials and other recollections of the living for them (and, y'know, sacrifices to them and so on). They tend to be weaker than spirits, but they also are easier to talk to. You don't have to reframe stuff to fit their obsessive alien minds, because they don't have those. They're people and understand people things.

Also, and this is important, most ghosts are literate, and most spirits aren't outside of First Tongue. Ghosts make much better spies.

Also of note: the typical ghosts you find drifting through Twilight in the material world divide between Rank 2 "lemures," fully self-aware people who recognize that they are in this awful dead state, and Rank 1 "lares," whose self-awareness is intermittent at best, and who sometimes don't even realize they are dead at all. Lares reenact behaviors from life, something like the shopping mall zombies from Dawn of the Dead, or mourn their deaths in repetitious fashions. They're the ghost stories where you can hear the dead woman weeping and looking for her child every moonless night.

I bring this up because there's also a recognition in Geist that funerary rituals, even improvised ones performed by ordinary people with no occult familiarity, can ease the passing of the dead. Strictly speaking it's presented as a rite that can help a ghost pass on if it releases its anchors, and the default assumption is that the difference between rising as a lare, rising as a lemure, or not rising at all is associated with the deceased's Integrity at death, but it's a good opportunity to highlight that your player's funerary rites, specifically, had some effect and weren't meaningless, by having these ghosts rise as self-aware, conversational lemures, and use either other deaths in the incident or deaths elsewhere or later in your chronicle to draw the contrast with hazy, uncommunicative lares.

Additional consideration: some ghosts are going to be very interested in somebody they know can see and hear them, because if you didn't leave behind strong emotional bonds with friends and family, recovering Essence after the initial shock of death could become a much bigger hassle than for a spirit cruising for Resonance. The ghosts for whom this is an issue are already probably a handful to deal with for the same reason they drove people away from them in life.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For Elder Hardluck, I'd say Gangrel with a lot of Fortitude/Resilience. And then a lot of 1 or 2 dots Disciplines and helpful Devotions. Dude is a survivor.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

Hooray you're finally starting understand how to roleplay a vampire!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Well I've known for a while, and it's basically "..don't be afraid to :sever:" but sometimes it takes me longer than most to recognize the red flags.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Daeva Invictus, rolls hard on Majesty but turns it off frequently because he likes to be challenged. It is unclear exactly how much he's been helping the local Carthian movement on the sly to give himself an opposition to crush, and indeed no one's totally sure if he even knows how many plots are shoots or works any more.

e: he has also never seen a vampire movie.

Not even one.

:vince:

I really like the Foley Malk idea, sometimes he's the laid back Dude Love who just wants everyone to have a good time, sometimes when the poo poo goes down Cactus Jack comes to play.

Mankind you could kinda swing either early deranged or later goofy loveable doofus I suppose. I guess that could be the characters standard self with the other two taking whenever.

Undertaker is an elder Venture. Probably.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kane is some dude possessed by a fire spirit. No one has any idea why he's here, but he is.

Bray Wyatt is a Strix.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Undertaker is the only cool Giovanni, and Paul is his ghoul.

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Do you think I could use a major boon to go on a date with a baron for Elysium?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Naoto Shirogane posted:

Do you think I could use a major boon to go on a date with a baron for Elysium?

Is it to ensure the baron has safe passage in and out of the territory or something like that? That certainly does seem like a major favor so yeah, cash it in.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Firstly, I'm very hesitant to truck with the premise that the most important part of being a vampire is the blood consumption- the extended sexualized predation metaphor- when the real source of alienation is the existential fear of the sun. Urban non-fantasy culture cycles around the 9-5 hours, and there are no easy devices to play out on the beach versus the Herd background being a textual source of time-skipping the solo scenes.

Secondly, feeding is structurally similar to the story of a vampire as the commute does to the worker. Both a vampire and worker beyond the first week is going to have their schedule set, and while a biking-to-work commuter is a different person than a bus-rider or a driver is only remarkable in how it informs us of their character. The act of feeding isn't made interesting because of potential tragedies any more than the mechanics of a nightly use of a Drive skill isn't made more interesting by the chance of crashes. Bring out the rule set for your Italian Job car chase getaways and otherwise get out of the way of the story at the table.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Kane is some dude possessed by a fire spirit. No one has any idea why he's here, but he is.

Bray Wyatt is a Strix.

I couldn't for the life of me figure out what Kane would be.

Wait so is Fin Balor possessed too?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

joylessdivision posted:

Sure, why not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

joylessdivision posted:

Finn Balor is a Sin-Eater

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

Finn Balor is a Sin-Eater

Me earlier: "The gently caress is that thing from Geist called as I try to apply it to my wrasslemens?"

Thank you all, this has legit made my day. Vampire Vince so god drat funny.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I did think about running a oWoD Wrestling game back in the day. Like keep the factions and NPCs, except now they're all Wrestlers with supernatural gimmicks.

"Bah gawd this is Beckett's theme music!"

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

moths posted:

Well I've known for a while, and it's basically "..don't be afraid to :sever:" but sometimes it takes me longer than most to recognize the red flags.

*someone does a small feeding scene*
*moths bane activates*
Ah I must leave this group now

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
So what would Bray Wyatt be in the WWOD?

Metapod posted:

*someone does a small feeding scene*
*moths bane activates*
Ah I must leave this group now

*Someone posts about playing V5 in a way that is not the one correct way*
*Metapod's bane activates*
Ah, I must shitpost now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

So what would Bray Wyatt be in the WWOD?

Strix.

I mean, I could see Scelestus, but Strix for a vampire game.