Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

just randomly shitposting in a thread that died 2 weeks ago nbd

It's kind of a measure of how well Disney is managing Star Wars that there was no active thread in GBS for like two weeks, while the Star Trek thread has hundreds of posts (though probably mostly about snowballing with Gul Dukat)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Clark Nova posted:

It's kind of a measure of how well Disney is managing Star Wars that there was no active thread in GBS for like two weeks, while the Star Trek thread has hundreds of posts (though probably mostly about snowballing with Gul Dukat)

No one is talking about discovery though.

We're all olds.

Now let me tell you about how lowbacca was so loving lovely and I'm glad they retconned her into non existence

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Wait lowbacca was a girl?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Gentlemen you are not thinking in the right direction... What star wars needs is a light-morningstar. Blackened steel orb and a handle, once activated a laser beam connects two parts and forms deadly spikes on the surface of the ball.

This is a true masterpiece that will take star wars into 2020s and beyond!

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

skasion posted:

Wait lowbacca was a girl?

I might be getting them mixed up with the other wookie Jedi cool teen

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!
Going to the wookiepedia breast article to see which wookie tits are described

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Infinite lightsaber. The blade just goes forever. Rey stabs Palp Smear from another planet. Credits roll.

Post-credit scene is just a montage of muppets on different planets getting skewered by the endless blade.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Big Beef City posted:

No, but they could have a stuffy imperial officer talking to an admiral prior to the start of 'a scene' once or twice a film saying
'Sir, we've already reduced the Butt system to cinders and...'put down' the 'workers strike'. However the empire cannot provide the fleet more support at this time... And frankly sir..." Before they get shushed

And boom you lay out how they're doing it and that there's at least some internal pressure there.

But. Star Warps

The Empire's resources during the OT never really bothered me since they were a galaxy-spanning empire with limitless resources. The First Order being able to build all this poo poo with no explanation whatsoever was maddening, since we have no idea if their defeats in the first two movies was that big a blow against them or not.

$5 says that the Star Destroyers in the new trailer are just a waiting fleet for the Emperor, and don't impact the story in the slightest. JJ is a master at introducing impressive visuals that have no bearing on the story.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I will die on the hill of "from the jump they should have skipped ahead 50-100 years and picked up with a brand new story that can allude to the original trilogy but otherwise allows the victory of Luke and the gang to stand for a while and lets you make a clean break to do your own thing"

Like you could have the droids still around, maybe Chewy, the Falcon, Luke's lightsaber, poo poo like that, but just simply have everyone be dead outside of maybe bringing back Luke and Yoda to do blue ghost duty. It'd make the story feel a lot less inbred at least

sort of like the 5th and final dune books. it would of been better but they just want to make their own take on the originals. i cant wait for the dancing porg village in the up coming movie. or the spin off porg movies.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Clark Nova posted:

I was looking for those classic Lego kits for my 2 yr old in Walmart and Toys R Us, and was surprised how Lego seems to be the only real showing when it comes to Star Wars toys. The Walmart probably had 10 Star Wars items in the toy section, and Toys R Us had like 5. Hell, even the prequels spawned entire aisles of Star Wars stuff that lasted the better part of a decade. Does the new trilogy even have a toy line that's currently in production?

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

cant wait to avoid watching the hundreds of hilarious youtube reviews by whacky jaded nerds again, saying how this new star war is a cinematic failure or whatever

probably the worst part of every new star wars movie, apart from the new star wars movie

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

if RJ was still doing it we'd 100% have an embarrassing TAKE THAT TROLLS scene to look forward to, ala ghostbusters.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

The size of a lightsaber should be directly proportional to the amount of force a Jedi has.

Some dork would have a tiny dagger and Yoda like a giant green donger

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

The size of a lightsaber should be directly proportional to the amount of force a Jedi has.

Size matters not.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Chomp8645 posted:

Size matters not.

The girth however...
*Wookie leg sized lightsaber lazily pokes out of a handle*

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Chomp8645 posted:

Size matters not.

Whores not make one great

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

toggle posted:

cant wait to avoid watching the hundreds of hilarious youtube reviews by whacky jaded nerds again, saying how this new star war is a cinematic failure or whatever

probably the worst part of every new star wars movie, apart from the new star wars movie

Personally, I found the whining videos to be the most entertaining part of the new trilogy. Then again I would rank Rogue One and Solo as the best Disney SW movies so far, so feel free to disregard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Blistex posted:

Then again I would rank Rogue One and Solo as the best Disney SW movies so far, so feel free to disregard.

Nah this is correct.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Solo is crap top to bottom and Rogue One feels like it was murdered in the edit. TFA and TLJ are both bad movies in different ways, but both are far more competently made.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Solo wasn't even that bad but making fun of striking robots was very unwoke.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Colonel Cancer posted:

Solo wasn't even that bad but making fun of striking robots was very unwoke.

Were they making fun of them?

The entire thing was L3-37 was bizarre. I didn't know if she was supposed to be a parody of wokeness played for laughs, or an example of genuine wokeness to be admired. Maybe the people who made the movie didn't know either. I want to say the character was supposed to be taken in earnest as a hero, but who knows anymore. Probably the strangest character in Disney Star Wars.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also why did they name her Leet / 1337

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Yeah they made her a caricature of heroic revolutionaries who fought for labour laws and/or against slavery. And the robots are slaves in star wars universe, there's no defending that.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Solo is fatally misconceived. It’s no better than the lovely EU novels it paraphrases about young Han hanging out with a giant cat man, in some ways it’s even worse. Han Solo isn’t a super hero and doesn’t need an origin story. The whole point of his character is that he was never anyone special until he fell in with terrorists: just another dirty criminal hanging around in the fringes of the empire smuggling drugs and other criminals back and forth for a buck.

It’s also a weak movie on its own. Script sucks, plotting is rubbish (Darth Maul? Seriously?) and Glover is the only actor who is even trying.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

Solo is fatally misconceived. It’s no better than the lovely EU novels it paraphrases about young Han hanging out with a giant cat man, in some ways it’s even worse. Han Solo isn’t a super hero and doesn’t need an origin story. The whole point of his character is that he was never anyone special until he fell in with terrorists: just another dirty criminal hanging around in the fringes of the empire smuggling drugs and other criminals back and forth for a buck.

It’s also a weak movie on its own. Script sucks, plotting is rubbish (Darth Maul? Seriously?) and Glover is the only actor who is even trying.

All true but somehow still more enjoyable than Episodes 7 and 8.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Idk unlike some of y'all I'm not intimately familiar with Hank Solo's intricate EU backstory. He's just some forgettable dude with a ride, just a name. At least the movie was exciting to watch for the most part unlike that loving 2 hour long space chase in Last Jedi.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

The entire thing was L3-37 was bizarre. I didn't know if she was supposed to be a parody of wokeness played for laughs, or an example of genuine wokeness to be admired. Maybe the people who made the movie didn't know either. I want to say the character was supposed to be taken in earnest as a hero, but who knows anymore. Probably the strangest character in Disney Star Wars.
she feels like lots of disparate bad ideas were merged across a few drafts.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

L337 is kinda sorta inspired by another lovely old EU novel trilogy where Lando has a weirdo droid sidekick who insists on being treated as an equal and not a slave. The movie kind of even tells a deep cut joke about it by having Lando do a throwaway reference to his adventures with the Sharu.

The idea of Lando’s droid having a crush on him is pretty original though tbh. It’s definitely weird enough to work, it’s not something Star Wars has already done to death. In the event it’s not that functional but that’s because the script is a dog.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
If L3-37 and Lando were in a relationship, and L3-37 became part of the the ship, and Lando lost the ship to Han, then that means Had spent the next two decades riding Lando's girlfriend.

Really makes u think...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

If L3-37 and Lando were in a relationship, and L3-37 became part of the the ship, and Lando lost the ship to Han, then that means Had spent the next two decades riding Lando's girlfriend.

Really makes u think...

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

This is a new low.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Colonel Cancer posted:

As a kid I legit believed the lightsabers were powered by the Force until Han cut open the Tauntaun in Empire. poo poo really threw me because I'd never conceived of the lightsabers as mechanisms before.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Applewhite posted:

This is a new low.

It's going to be a 10 second vision that the emperor shows her or something equally as lame, and will have no effect on the story.

Chomp8645 posted:

All true but somehow still more enjoyable than Episodes 7 and 8.

Same.

Rogue One's first half and character development was absolutely horrible, but it ended up being more enjoyable than 7 & 8 as well.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

"Solo" was the first Star Wars movie where I thought, "that's it, I'm drawing the line. This whole thing has turned to poo poo". But I kinda hoped I was wrong, you know?

Then I heard about the scene where the imperial census taker goes "Hm, so you're a orphan with no family? I'll call you Han SOLO" and I had the horrible knowledge that I was right.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Cosmik Slop posted:

"Solo" was the first Star Wars movie where I thought, "that's it, I'm drawing the line. This whole thing has turned to poo poo". But I kinda hoped I was wrong, you know?

Then I heard about the scene where the imperial census taker goes "Hm, so you're a orphan with no family? I'll call you Han SOLO" and I had the horrible knowledge that I was right.

Apparently Corellia never had an Attaturk analog.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Going to skywalk away from the ticket office if I happen to be in area haha

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grevling posted:

Going to skywalk away from the ticket office if I happen to be in area haha

Box office turnout going to be SOLO

LMAO

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I’ll watch it when it shows up on MST3K

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
in the not too distant future
next sunday AD
there was a guy named solo
not too different from you or me
he worked at a criminal syndicate
just stealing space gas to pay his way
he did his job well with a real smug face
but proxima didn't like him and she shot him into spaaace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Applewhite posted:

Apparently Corellia never had an Attaturk analog.

I dunno, that worm lady might have been a pedophile?