Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mods are asleep this year or became Linux fans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Badger posted:

Finally, it's the year of Linux!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Yo, where's today's event thread? Other than the YOSPOS one?
Start one :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Their XPS 15's are stuck in sleep mode :haw:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Here I did the needful.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898392

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Thanks pal!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

asecondduck posted:

Finally, it's the year of Linux!

I mean, I thought that was 2014 when Microsoft went all "we <3 linux" in Azure, but you might be right?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Calling it now.. the 'one more thing' is the return of the Airport Extreme Base Station, renamed to Airport Mildly Radical Grand Central

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Welp, not even a wet fart for laptops and desktops.

Phil Schiller mentions the 'new' Mac Pro for a nanosecond when he compares the iPhone 11 screens to the screens being developed for the new cheesegrater and that's it, no 16-inch rMBP or anything else.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

You could see he was struggling the entire presentation to fake the 'Pro-ness' of it all.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I mean in fits in with all their other branding, but lol at a professional phone.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

gonna dump my SE so I can finally be a pro poster

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
This happens every year like clockwork. People keep deciding this is the year Apple’s going to announce Mac stuff at the iOS event, and Apple just keeps on disappointing them.

The usual pattern is that if they want to launch a Mac in the fall, it happens in a smaller lower key event a month or so after the big iOS show. Idk why anyone expects otherwise at this point, it’s not the 00s anymore. (That being the last time when they weren’t yet sure whether they were primarily a phone or computer company and had not yet settled down to a fairly regular product launch cadence on anything, so their product launch events were all over the map.)

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Just bought a probably stolen MacBook Air 2017 for $150. Dude took out the Ssd. In the process it looks like he destroyed all the screws and damaged the case and hinge. It seems to power on fine but the logic board is missing all but 1 screw and the fan prot needs replacing. Seems fine other than that stuff.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

E2M2 posted:

Just bought a probably stolen MacBook Air 2017 for $150. Dude took out the Ssd. In the process it looks like he destroyed all the screws and damaged the case and hinge. It seems to power on fine but the logic board is missing all but 1 screw and the fan prot needs replacing. Seems fine other than that stuff.

the broken and stolen laptop is fine?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BobHoward posted:

This happens every year like clockwork. People keep deciding this is the year Apple’s going to announce Mac stuff at the iOS event, and Apple just keeps on disappointing them.

The usual pattern is that if they want to launch a Mac in the fall, it happens in a smaller lower key event a month or so after the big iOS show. Idk why anyone expects otherwise at this point, it’s not the 00s anymore. (That being the last time when they weren’t yet sure whether they were primarily a phone or computer company and had not yet settled down to a fairly regular product launch cadence on anything, so their product launch events were all over the map.)

I would think people are trolling when they complain about no mac or new hardware stuff in the september event, but my boss who's really into Apple stuff was genuinely disappointed today that they didnt announce new macbooks or their other new rumored hardware.

I think people forget that the schedule's been pretty fixed for a good while, like you said. I wonder if they'll ever consider combining the sept/oct event if they don't have big enough announcements for two and to prevent confusion.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

E2M2 posted:

Sick bro

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

E2M2 posted:

wow what a deal

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

E2M2 posted:

Can't they disable it by serial number?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Can't they disable it by serial number?

Afaik no.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
So, since there was no Apple TV set top box upgrade announced yesterday at the event, should I buy the 2 year old version right now? My house is pretty much Apple all Apple devices, and I'm sick of the issues I'm having with my Chromecast.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

BoyBlunder posted:

So, since there was no Apple TV set top box upgrade announced yesterday at the event, should I buy the 2 year old version right now? My house is pretty much Apple all Apple devices, and I'm sick of the issues I'm having with my Chromecast.

Wait till October for the next rumored event, or just buy one now and sell it later.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Apple better than new refurb has some 1080 versions right now for $129/$139

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

You'd be better off with the 4K units, they have the A10 Fusion chip, identical to what's in the latest low-end iPad they just released.

The regular HD ones have an A8, run half as fast (1.4 GHz vs 2.3 GHz) and are almost 5 years old, closer to Apple's cutoff point.

Or yeah, wait until October, but unless Apple really really wants to start offering 5K content I don't see why you'd wanna wait.

eames
May 9, 2009

I would also wait for October since they might release an updated model with an A12 or similar.
The GPU improvements between the A10 and newer SoCs are substantial and would be put to good use with Apple Arcade at 4k.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yeah on the video side of things the 4K is basically perfect but I could see with Apple Arcade coming out that they might want to beef up the GPU a little bit so I could see a new version released, which if anything would mean that you'd be able to get a 4K for cheaper.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

eames posted:

I would also wait for October since they might release an updated model with an A12 or similar.
The GPU improvements between the A10 and newer SoCs are substantial and would be put to good use with Apple Arcade at 4k.

Especially since they're halfheartedly trying to push the ATV 4K as an actual game platform.

If it were a choice for me, I'd rather just pick up a 5th gen Mini for games since it's got an A12 Bionic.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 11, 2019

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

American McGay posted:

Yeah on the video side of things the 4K is basically perfect but I could see with Apple Arcade coming out that they might want to beef up the GPU a little bit so I could see a new version released, which if anything would mean that you'd be able to get a 4K for cheaper.

Out of curiosity, what's the most graphically impressive game you can get on ATV?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Is there anyone here good at photoshop that can merge these two scanned pages into an incredibly nerdy 8K wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/mlvrmCQ

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

xarph posted:

Is there anyone here good at photoshop that can merge these two scanned pages into an incredibly nerdy 8K wallpaper?

https://imgur.com/a/mlvrmCQ

http://ge.tt/9wcZw5y2 How's that?

ArcaneMan
Nov 2, 2004
uh oh

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I love these dead comedy forums :pcgaming:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh you wanted the holes removed as well.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Here's the whole thing.
Here's another wallpaper.

In 1984 my family bought a Macintosh as a household Christmas gift. This is the manual that was in that box.

xarph fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 14, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm having an issue with my Late 203 Retina 15inch with integrated graphics. I've been noticing over the past few weeks every so often I'll get some screen flicker and artifacts. Its nothing consistent but it makes me wonder if the main board is failing or something.

I've had it happen like 5 times tonight and its super random. I really don't do anything intense with this machine just running discord safari and WhatsApp.

Is there anything I should look into or is it just one of those things if it fails it fails.

Lowering the resolution didn't do anything it still flickers on me.

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 14, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I mean, it’s 1,816 years old, issues are to be expected at some point.

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(
If you're trying to avoid artifacts I would just suggest buying a newer computer.

eames
May 9, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

I'm having an issue with my Late 203 Retina 15inch with integrated graphics. I've been noticing over the past few weeks every so often I'll get some screen flicker and artifacts. Its nothing consistent but it makes me wonder if the main board is failing or something.

I've had it happen like 5 times tonight and its super random. I really don't do anything intense with this machine just running discord safari and WhatsApp.

Is there anything I should look into or is it just one of those things if it fails it fails.

Lowering the resolution didn't do anything it still flickers on me.

I have a 2015 15" MBP that's a little over one year old and also get flickering in some hardware accelerated fullscreen apps but no artifacting. I'm quite sure that in my case it's a software or driver bug.

2013 with dGPU are more prone to failures than iGPU only models but my theory is that running the silicon at such high temps (100°C under load is quite normal for MBPs) just takes its toll on these machines over time.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

My late 2013 15” iGPU is still running like a champ. Just wish it had 16GB instead of 8GB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I get a similar effect in full screen videos on my 13-inch 2012, so the high temp toll makes sense.