Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TheFluff posted:

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles and probably never will so idk if there's anything particular about the way it treats its Christian references, but in anime in general that sort of thing tends to be mostly pop-mythology kitsch. It's harmless, but it also doesn't really matter if you replace one pop mythos with another because there's usually no meaningful depth to the references. It's not there to thrill someone familiar with Milton or Morte d'Arthur or what have you, it's just there to sound cool and pad the world building a bit.

There are exceptions to this of course - for example, when Ghost in the Shell quotes 1 Corinthians 13 it's actually thematically important - but those examples are fairly rare.

Then again you could also probably argue that the kind of people they're trying to avoid offending with this sort of thing are on about the same level of pop-religious kitsch :v:

Either way I agree with Tim Rogers that in games like Xenoblades this really isn't a big deal. It's sorta dumb but who cares - it's fine to enjoy the kitsch for what it is.
the xeno wiki has an entry for jesus christ

https://xenosaga.fandom.com/wiki/Jesus_Christ

jokes aside i just think its stupid to change it for fear of offending christian groups. by that logic they should remove all the gay stuff from every video game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

I am going to make Edelgard a dancer.

Not because it’s a good idea, but because I can.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Endorph posted:

jokes aside i just think its stupid to change it for fear of offending christian groups.

it absolutely is, no disagreement there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

TheFluff posted:

I haven't played Xenoblade Chronicles and probably never will so idk if there's anything particular about the way it treats its Christian references, but in anime in general that sort of thing tends to be mostly pop-mythology kitsch. It's harmless, but it also doesn't really matter if you replace one pop mythos with another because there's usually no meaningful depth to the references. It's not there to thrill someone familiar with Milton or Morte d'Arthur or what have you, it's just there to sound cool and pad the world building a bit.

There are exceptions to this of course - for example, when Ghost in the Shell quotes 1 Corinthians 13 it's actually thematically important - but those examples are fairly rare.

Then again you could also probably argue that the kind of people they're trying to avoid offending with this sort of thing are on about the same level of pop-religious kitsch :v:

Either way I agree with Tim Rogers that in games like Xenoblades this really isn't a big deal. It's sorta dumb but who cares - it's fine to enjoy the kitsch for what it is.

Dumb christianity references are better than references to something less known because I recognize the christianity references

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

On the other hand seeing Axe of Ukonvasara in this game was pretty funny so idk

(It's a finnish mythology thing)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

blizzardvizard posted:

I'm at the last chapter of GD and why the gently caress is there still a monastery section?? :psyduck:

Nemesis is razing villages and here I am mucking around, gobbling lunches and hosting tea parties for a month

IMO this is a fundamental design issue in all the routes and really fucks with the story, particularly in the second half. I get that the devs were afraid of taking away a core mechanic of the game from the player half-way through the game, but the story is strained to the breaking point in a few situations to accommodate it, and there's not even really all that much to do anyway since unless you went around recruiting everybody the monastery is three-quarters empty and side quests dry up in a hurry. The only thing there is to do is force feed people for support points and garden/fish.

e. Also what really bugs me is that there's a decent compromise fix that I know the devs could do, because it happens once on Edelgard's route: Instead of going back to the Monastery every time, you could have a "army camp" area or whatever that's supposed to be you on the march. It would have all your characters milling around, the merchants/blacksmith, and dining. Change the story to frame the downtime not as you loving around between missions, but instead the army on the march to the next mission. Again I know this was feasible because this exact thing more or less happens before the last Part 1 mission in BE-E.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 10, 2019

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

What's wrong w/Sylvian and does he get better :thunk:

I'm playing BL first but like I feel genuinely bad for every female member who has to interact with him.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sylvain thinks nobody will ever be straight with him and that he might as well be completely insincere.

Also he thinks he is straight.

Make him talk to Dorothea, who asks him more or less first thing why he hates women. Then send him to Mercedes for therapy.

Then marry him to Felix.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mercedes and Sylvain’s B support is :discourse:

Felix and Sylvain’s final support is :discourse:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Sylvain thinks nobody will ever be straight with him and that he might as well be completely insincere.

Also he thinks he is straight.

Make him talk to Dorothea, who asks him more or less first thing why he hates women. Then send him to Mercedes for therapy.

Then marry him to Felix.

Sorry Annette already took Felix

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Purposely staying away from discussion of this game because I've already spoiled myself enough on it, but, is "act 2 is kind of boring compared to act 1" a popular opinion?

Like (act 2 spoilers) in Act 1 it felt like there were actually things to do in Explore mode, because there were students from every house to talk to and lost items to deliver and tournaments that were actually hard to beat etc, then in Act 2 everybody is just, like, gone, and there aren't really any new characters to replace them, and I'm maxing out everybody's support with everybody else alarmingly quickly because my roster is just Golden Deer plus like three poached students plus like three recruited staff members, and the lost items mechanic is gone and replaced with nothing, and there are shockingly few quests (I really expected there to be more quests), and tournaments are boring now because they're all against redshirts rather than other students. I understand why most of this stuff happened plot-wise, but I really liked Explore mode in Act 1 because there was so much to do and now I'm just doing it so I can buy Master Seals from Anna and maintain everybody's motivation with gifts and meals which feels kind of like a chore. Rather than feeling like I don't have enough activity points, I have to think of ways to use them up.

Does this ever get better or am I gonna spend the rest of the game trying to kill time between story missions as fast as possible?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loquacius posted:

Purposely staying away from discussion of this game because I've already spoiled myself enough on it, but, is "act 2 is kind of boring compared to act 1" a popular opinion?

Like (act 2 spoilers) in Act 1 it felt like there were actually things to do in Explore mode, because there were students from every house to talk to and lost items to deliver and tournaments that were actually hard to beat etc, then in Act 2 everybody is just, like, gone, and there aren't really any new characters to replace them, and I'm maxing out everybody's support with everybody else alarmingly quickly because my roster is just Golden Deer plus like three poached students plus like three recruited staff members, and the lost items mechanic is gone and replaced with nothing, and there are shockingly few quests (I really expected there to be more quests), and tournaments are boring now because they're all against redshirts rather than other students. I understand why most of this stuff happened plot-wise, but I really liked Explore mode in Act 1 because there was so much to do and now I'm just doing it so I can buy Master Seals from Anna and maintain everybody's motivation with gifts and meals which feels kind of like a chore. Rather than feeling like I don't have enough activity points, I have to think of ways to use them up.

Does this ever get better or am I gonna spend the rest of the game trying to kill time between story missions as fast as possible?

Just do more seminars

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Perfect Potato posted:

Sylvain has so many GD supports that he may as well be an unofficial member, though none of them go beyond B. I think Ferdinand also unlocks Lysithea's part 2 paralogue though I haven't played that route myself

Makes sense, GD has 4/6 of the cutest girls.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Andrast posted:

Just do more seminars

The problem is AFAICT seminars only boost motivation for people who show up, and only by two pips

These students aren't gonna teach themselves to all ride horses

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Naoto Shirogane posted:

I am going to make Edelgard a dancer.

Not because it’s a good idea, but because I can.

I did it too. :hf:

Caper for my amusement, monkey emperor.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

loquacius posted:

The problem is AFAICT seminars only boost motivation for people who show up, and only by two pips

These students aren't gonna teach themselves to all ride horses

The total number of skill points you get from a full seminar, plus the half-teaching you can do with those 5-6 students, is greater than what you get from teaching fully motivated students.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can also game the system a bit by giving people custom goals that are in line with the seminar you want to give. It doesn't guarantee they'll show up, but it seems to increase the likelihood.

Alder posted:

What's wrong w/Sylvian and does he get better :thunk:

I'm playing BL first but like I feel genuinely bad for every female member who has to interact with him.

He's the designated character each house gets who comes off as awful in all of their C supports, but then gets fleshed out into a much more likable one in all subsequent supports. Just stick with it.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It'd just be nice if Act 2 gave you some more grownup characters from your chosen country (who actually JOIN YOUR ARMY, lookin at you Judith :mad:) and some stuff to do around the monastery, maybe you could rebuild it or something? Throwing out some solid-gold ideas for an expansion DLC here, give me a call IS

Zoran posted:

The total number of skill points you get from a full seminar, plus the half-teaching you can do with those 5-6 students, is greater than what you get from teaching fully motivated students.

Hm. My #1 most needed skill is Riding and none of the seminars teach it, but I'll switch over entirely once I finish turning all my Bishops into Holy Knights and all my Snipers and Swordmasters into Bow Knights. That should help the game go faster at least even if a more complete Explore Mode would be ideal for me :tipshat:

e: for the record btw I already have like four Gremorys and I find them boring

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's the designated character each house gets who comes off as awful in all of their C supports, but then gets fleshed out into a much more likable one in all subsequent supports. Just stick with it.

He's still a dick

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loquacius posted:

It'd just be nice if Act 2 gave you some more grownup characters from your chosen country (who actually JOIN YOUR ARMY, lookin at you Judith :mad:) and some stuff to do around the monastery, maybe you could rebuild it or something? Throwing out some solid-gold ideas for an expansion DLC here, give me a call IS

Hm. My #1 most needed skill is Riding and none of the seminars teach it, but I'll switch over entirely once I finish turning all my Bishops into Holy Knights and all my Snipers and Swordmasters into Bow Knights. That should help the game go faster at least even if a more complete Explore Mode would be ideal for me :tipshat:

e: for the record btw I already have like four Gremorys and I find them boring

Holy knights are usually worse than bishops and a Swordmaster --> Bow Knight transition seems questionable

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Im on my final playthrough (GD) and I have a ridiculous air force of Wyvern Lords. I have easily five fliers (Catherine, Hilda, Leonie, Claude, Ingrid and Seteth). Leonie is nigh unstoppable as she has gone 36 levels gaining 1 point of strength without fail. She also has 28 speed at the beginning of Act 2. Her Defense has also risen at around the same rate as strength, save for a couple missed points while leveling. It's really rude what you can do with a ton of fliers.

I'm pushing 200 hours now and kind of ready to wrap up my playthrough for now but overall I have to say the game is really well realized with some issues. Having seen nearly every part of the story now it's interestingly told but kind of a slog to have to play every path just to understand the world. I wish the different paths fit together better rather then being an either/or situation. All in all my favorite path was Blue Lions but that may change if Golden Deer really changes the game in Act 2.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Andrast posted:

Holy knights are usually worse than bishops and a Swordmaster --> Bow Knight transition seems questionable

I added the edit because I could see this post coming :v:

I like mobility (Lorenz as a dark knight with a long-range staff is a fun character to use) and I don't like leaving people in the same class forever in a game that's ostensibly half about managing the growth and progression of your army, and so far I've only played one story mission I found challenging anyway so I'm ok with slightly suboptimal stat growth

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I haven't actually used Catherine as a main yet because she's kind of awful character-wise, but she's gotten levels from being an adjutant an I don't think I've ever seen her not gain points in STR/SPD. I imagine she's a genuine monster if actually used.

Andrast posted:

He's still a dick

He's definitely the most grating of the trio because while Lorenz and Ferdinand have hosed up worldviews, they're still ultimately trying to do good. Meanwhile Sylvain's hosed up world view has lead him to go "well alright then I'll be hosed up too!" and he doesn't really get over it until his A supports.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sydin posted:

He's definitely the most grating of the trio because while Lorenz and Ferdinand have hosed up worldviews, they're still ultimately trying to do good. Meanwhile Sylvain's hosed up world view has lead him to go "well alright then I'll be hosed up too!" and he doesn't really get over it until his A supports.

Ferdie is a great guy

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

loquacius posted:

I added the edit because I could see this post coming :v:

I like mobility (Lorenz as a dark knight with a long-range staff is a fun character to use) and I don't like leaving people in the same class forever in a game that's ostensibly half about managing the growth and progression of your army, and so far I've only played one story mission I found challenging anyway so I'm ok with slightly suboptimal stat growth

It's not just stat growths, holy Knight is just a way worse healer than bishop (at least for anyone with physic)

but yeah, the game isn't exactly difficult and knights are cool

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Sydin posted:

On that note, Lorentz-Sylvain is well-worth seeing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
The Battle at Gronder threw me for a loop the first time because of reinforcements and traps, but then I just replayed it and sailed right through on try #2

I was kind of in awe at Enemy Felix, he was a monster

but then on the replay he just kind of threw himself at two demonic beasts, by himself, and that was it for him

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Lorenz is complicated for me because most people hate him and I understand why, but (a) I've always had a soft spot for characters you're obviously supposed to dislike, and (b) he actually came out remarkably well-adjusted considering he was raised to be an rear end in a top hat by his rear end in a top hat dad. Like Sydin said, he thinks he's trying to do good in the world and holds himself accountable for his fuckups when people call him out on them, he's just super condescending and has no idea.

It's just hard when I see his A-level support with one character and then his C-level support with another and I'm like "goddammit Lorenz I thought we were past this by now"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lorenz is great because like half the characters dunk on him hard during their supports

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
I remember in the lead up to the games release people complaining about the idea that in the post-game you'd have less moments to do monastery stuff with the units. As it turns out most people actually would prefer if they were limited.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Sydin posted:

Wonder how the Something Awful Games forums would react to best boy Makalov if he were in Three Houses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I killed Sylvain with Ingrid on a crit using that lance relic that’s effective against cavalry and it ruled

Edit: because she calls him an rear end in a top hat before murdering him

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Ferdie is awesome and gets even better in part 2.

I just did the Battle of the Eagle and Lion for the second time and that would have been much harder if Claude hadn't sat twiddling his thumbs the whole fight. I don't think you should need to get near the other house leaders for them to go. I'm BE this time but still cheered when Raphael scored a clutch dodge against Dedue and knocked him out. :thumbsup:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I felt fine fighting most enemy-house students but Bernadette was a bit of a downer :smith:

Like, she pretty clearly doesn't want to be there and is terrified but she's sitting on the loving ballista and keeps shooting Flayn with it so what am I supposed to do, not kill her?

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

You’re a bad person if you fight against Bernadetta

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

eating only apples posted:

I just did the Battle of the Eagle and Lion for the second time and that would have been much harder if Claude hadn't sat twiddling his thumbs the whole fight. I don't think you should need to get near the other house leaders for them to go.

Extremely on-brand for Claude though

If you're playing Golden Deer in that mission Dimitri waits until you've killed a certain amount of Eagles and then bumrushes you, complete with a pegasus ambush. My second time through I was able to get him to jump early by not trying to take the center hill, and he and Edelgard wore each other down for me to a certain extent

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

loquacius posted:

I felt fine fighting most enemy-house students but Bernadette was a bit of a downer :smith:

Like, she pretty clearly doesn't want to be there and is terrified but she's sitting on the loving ballista and keeps shooting Flayn with it so what am I supposed to do, not kill her?

The best part of this is that not only is she a bait, she is also in the middle of a fire trap and will burn to death anyway if you don't kill her straight away

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Naoto Shirogane posted:

You’re a bad person if you fight against Bernadetta

Blame Edelgard for sticking her in the center of the battlefield as obvious bait.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

loquacius posted:

yes. :colbert: For the sin of not recruiting bernadetta, you have to sit a squishy character in her line of fire, and have a dedicated healer for them. That's your penance.

not a bot posted:

The best part of this is that not only is she a bait, she is also in the middle of a fire trap and will burn to death anyway if you don't kill her straight away
El only sets off the fire if you approach the mound, so, just don't do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naoto Shirogane
May 8, 2019

Edelgard was right