Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i watched that update video and now i'm kinda scratching my head that they thought coastal cities needed buffing

am i wrong? i haven't played much of the higher difficulties so i'm not like a super civ 6 expert or anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

i watched that update video and now i'm kinda scratching my head that they thought coastal cities needed buffing

am i wrong? i haven't played much of the higher difficulties so i'm not like a super civ 6 expert or anything

There are a lot of inherent problems with coastal cities (low base yields, many tiles are difficult/impossible to build improvements on, lack of land area wrecks your adjacency bonuses, vulnerability to naval units), so... maybe? :shrug: They got a lot of buffs when GS was released and definitely needed them then. I can't really speak with certainty as to how badly they still need buffs but I wouldn't be surprised.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Brother Entropy posted:

am i wrong?
Yes. For all the reasons mentioned above and because the only strategic resource you can get from water tiles is oil, and even that requires you to tech two extra levels deep to get plastics.

-a guy with 2,000 hours in civ 6.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I just played my first game as Eleanor of Aquitaine and holy poo poo did the AI boner it up. One guy just kept. settling. cities. right next to me, only for me to absorb them in like ten turns. By the end of the game, half my cities weren't originally mine, and I didn't conquer any of them.

Is it just me, or is Culture way faster/easier than the other victories? I've only played as high as Emperor but I keep running into situations where I'm close to accidentally winning a Culture victory while aiming for something else.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Straight White Shark posted:

There are a lot of inherent problems with coastal cities (low base yields, many tiles are difficult/impossible to build improvements on, lack of land area wrecks your adjacency bonuses, vulnerability to naval units), so... maybe? :shrug: They got a lot of buffs when GS was released and definitely needed them then. I can't really speak with certainty as to how badly they still need buffs but I wouldn't be surprised.

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Yes. For all the reasons mentioned above and because the only strategic resource you can get from water tiles is oil, and even that requires you to tech two extra levels deep to get plastics.

-a guy with 2,000 hours in civ 6.

fair enough, i guess my mind's still in civ 5 mode after all this time

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

showbiz_liz posted:

I just played my first game as Eleanor of Aquitaine and holy poo poo did the AI boner it up. One guy just kept. settling. cities. right next to me, only for me to absorb them in like ten turns. By the end of the game, half my cities weren't originally mine, and I didn't conquer any of them.

Is it just me, or is Culture way faster/easier than the other victories? I've only played as high as Emperor but I keep running into situations where I'm close to accidentally winning a Culture victory while aiming for something else.

Nah, it isnt just you, culture is probably the easiest victory type against the AI

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Coastal cities are bad, and they will always be bad, because this game has no intrinsic benefit to oceans. That's why every buff is: "+1 to ocean! Like oceans now." Oceans are just a "win more" feature at this point. Why am I going to invest in the ocean just to go fight a less efficient land war across the map?

Where is the mechanic that makes me care about spending 80 turns on a fleet rather than focusing on the army marching toward my territory?

The Human Crouton fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Sep 5, 2019

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

The Human Crouton posted:

Where is the mechanic that makes me care about spending 80 turns on a fleet rather than focusing on the army marching toward my territory?

It's in the map settings, called "archipelago" or "island plates".

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Don't forget about hoping your coastal cities have enough production to build the walls which makes them immune to getting flooded when the AIs coal plants max out global warming.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Pyromancer posted:

It's in the map settings, called "archipelago" or "island plates".

Cool. A map with more useless oceans.

Poil posted:

Don't forget about hoping your coastal cities have enough production to build the walls which makes them immune to getting flooded when the AIs coal plants iron clads max out global warming.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I like coastal cities because you can get a big chunk of production from docks with good adjacency bonuses, loads of food and housing, and trade routes without building commercial hubs, but you definitely want to settle them in bays or inlets to get mostly land tiles around them.

The only multiplayer game I've played was against a guy playing Rome, who had a massive land empire, while I was Indonesia and had a string of ratty-looking cities along coasts and islands. We were on opposite sides of the continent, so I goaded him into a naval fight by settling a city on an island off his coast, which he attacked because he thought he had a big and modern navy. Then I introduced him to mine, which was bolstered by the Venetian Arsenal, a frigate UU, loads of production because all my cities had harbors with 4+ adjacency and the policy doubling it, and all my campuses had double science because they had the coastal adjacency bonus and 10+ pop. Oh, and I'd just gotten the battleship admiral two eras early because I was ramping them up like mad, and had two batteship armadas that sunk his frigates in one shot.

He no longer cares for Indonesia.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I know coastal cities are inefficient, but they're also fun. For me, at least. I love exploring and settling along coasts and plonking down tiny island cities in random locations. And unleashing a navy is so freeing compared with guiding 12 units through a 2-tile mountain pass or whatever.
(I 100% understand if people feel differently, though!)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This kind of thing is one of the reasons why I have such a hard time playing any Civ except Beyond Earth. Being able to improve sea tiles (and tundra, and snow) is such a goddamn boon to convenience and making coastal cities better.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Like half of the world’s population lives on coastal areas, so perhaps they should be the ideal places to put down a city.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Even inland cities usually have access to coast via a nice big river. It's a shame Civ doesn't model that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Even inland cities usually have access to coast via a nice big river. It's a shame Civ doesn't model that.

well it did but then about halfway through 5's sales cycle they decided that rivers shouldn't provide a bonus any more, patched it out, and grandfathered that into 6

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I mean more than just a gold bonus though, I'm thinking access to Sea for naval and trade units.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I mean more than just a gold bonus though, I'm thinking access to Sea for naval and trade units.

Boost the food and production yields of trade routes, as well. All cities with sea access should get this, basically, whether they are on the coast (maybe directly adjacent to a harbour too), up a major river (you'd probably need to have both major navigable rivers and minor rivers that are like rivers in civ games) or a canal. So you can make massive cities like Athens, Rome, Chang'an, Byzantium or New York using trade routes. It could be adjusted by era with the boost being relatively small at first and increasing a lot in the industrial era, to model the growth of cities like New York or Shanghai.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
With GS late game we can build those dome things on coastal titles that are very good for food and housing. But thats very late game

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

With GS late game we can build those dome things on coastal titles that are very good for food and housing. But thats very late game
Seasteads, yeah. There's also the fishery improvement you can make much earlier in the game, but you have to invest two governor points to get it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Kassad posted:

Boost the food and production yields of trade routes, as well. All cities with sea access should get this, basically, whether they are on the coast (maybe directly adjacent to a harbour too), up a major river (you'd probably need to have both major navigable rivers and minor rivers that are like rivers in civ games) or a canal. So you can make massive cities like Athens, Rome, Chang'an, Byzantium or New York using trade routes. It could be adjusted by era with the boost being relatively small at first and increasing a lot in the industrial era, to model the growth of cities like New York or Shanghai.

i mean, internal trade routes over the sea were goddamn baller in civ 5. they produced, what, 100% over land routes, had a way longer range, and the support buildings gave you yield bonuses. assuming every city in your empire was coastal, they effectively had up to 64 free food every turn, no population investment required, all for the low low price of 6-7 useless tiles that would never produce even a fraction of that even if they were all sun god wheats

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Seasteads, yeah. There's also the fishery improvement you can make much earlier in the game, but you have to invest two governor points to get it.

At least those now give 0.5 housing

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fleetwood Crack posted:

And micro that governor around to every coastal city, and then back after the city grows some more tiles.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I just cant make peace how dumb and annoying the world congress is

In my current game, almost all nations been voting to ban dyes every loving time, which happens to be the luxury resource I most have. Im not even winning or anything, just a bit ahead on science.

Also, most nations voting for it dont even met me yet, we are still on the middle ages. So I have all these unmet civs voting to gently caress me because well, gently caress me

Because not only is the dumbest most annoying game mechanic, we have to endure it the whole game, long long before than it would make a lick of sense

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I miss being able to become the Pope like in Civ 4 and make everyone go to war with civs that aren't following your one true religion. Now that was a fun type of world congress.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The World Congress is dumb, but the effect of banning one of your luxury resources is not debilitating. You lose a couple amenities and presumably a trade sweetener.

John F Bennett posted:

I miss being able to become the Pope like in Civ 4 and make everyone go to war with civs that aren't following your one true religion. Now that was a fun type of world congress.
Same. I think my fondness for Civ 4 stems largely from how it handled religion.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my current game, almost all nations been voting to ban dyes every loving time, which happens to be the luxury resource I most have. Im not even winning or anything, just a bit ahead on science.

Also, most nations voting for it dont even met me yet, we are still on the middle ages. So I have all these unmet civs voting to gently caress me because well, gently caress me

Because not only is the dumbest most annoying game mechanic, we have to endure it the whole game, long long before than it would make a lick of sense

Don't take it personally. The vote was probably randomly set at the start of the game, and then repeated every congress because it doesn't matter.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Elias_Maluco posted:

The way I understand it, is kinda like cores in paradox games: he consider that his city and will forever be upset you have it. It makes no difference that he gave it to you when you were destroying him

Well, I, has a human player, if someone takes a city of mine, I will hate this civ for the rest of the game too, and Ill be waiting for an opportunity to get it back

To be fair, "Losing territory in a war, then using resentment over the lost territory to fuel public acceptance of more war," is practically 100% of continental European history.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

homullus posted:

The World Congress is dumb, but the effect of banning one of your luxury resources is not debilitating. You lose a couple amenities and presumably a trade sweetener.

Is not really, just a minor annoyance. But is so senseless and stupid

edit: unrelated: I like what they did to strategic resources but I think it needs some balance. If you dont happen to have the resources available in your territory or near, you might get pretty much locked out of units and buildings that depend on those, because the AI will not trade except for sometimes maybe some small quantities, which is useless since you need to maintain the units and buildings

Also if you, or anybody, wants to have a decent navy, global warming becomes unavoidable

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Sep 10, 2019

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Elias_Maluco posted:

Banning amenities should make it so you can't trade them, and that's all. I agree the world Congress is terrible.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.
Also the World Congress would be 100 times better if there was an Abstain button so you could skip a vote if you didn't care for the outcome.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
New patch is out! ...and I don't seem to be able to change my game settings (beyond the most basic stuff) any more :/

Fixed by disabling the maps pack mod... looks like I'll have to get used to raging barbs again

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marmaduke! posted:

New patch is out! ...and I don't seem to be able to change my game settings (beyond the most basic stuff) any more :/

Is that the new patch with all those new features they were announcing the other day?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiZv0TvXyM

uhhh

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

wow

Without more information, it looks like a Fallout version of the goon-made board game Meltwater, where survivable land continually diminishes.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
honestly I am impressed they added a battle royale to civ

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I thought for a sec that was the name of a new expansion pack and I'm extremely disappointed.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Negrostrike posted:

I thought for a sec that was the name of a new expansion pack and I'm extremely disappointed.

I thought I'd somehow missed six months of my life and it was April Fools :v:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I am so confused right now, but hell, I'll try it out

Glad its a free update though, not sure I'd pay for it as DLC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Neat that the win condition is to take off in the same ship which lands founding city tiles in Beyond Earth ~