Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

it's sad that we can't even count on late capitalism to provide us w/neuromancer-style coffins anymore

https://twitter.com/LAController/status/1171121360770199555

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Insanite posted:

it's sad that we can't even count on late capitalism to provide us w/neuromancer-style coffins anymore

Loving that 6:1 ratio there.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Fondly looking back at the diagram of a slave ship in history class for inspiration.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Insanite posted:

We can't solve homelessness but we sure as hell can bring back flophouses with some vaguely tech-themed business plan. gently caress yeah.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Woof Blitzer posted:

Fondly looking back at the diagram of a slave ship in history class for inspiration.

holy poo poo, the roof.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

Insanite posted:

Was this the same company that was trying to partner this idea with businesses looking for cheap workers a la WorryFree?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

From their marketing materials:

The future is “access not ownership” so we are establishing “access points.” [...] Millennials don’t own a gym at home, they buy a membership. We don’t subscribe to cable television, we watch Netflix. We don’t buy CDs, we stream music. American car sales are on the decline because we Lyft or Uber. We can rent a bicycle, get a degree online, have our meals delivered to us, and document our entire lives on social media.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

[me, holding a monkey's paw] "okay so imagine in the future, nobody owns anything, that's what I wish for"

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Vox Nihili posted:

The future is “access not ownership” so we are establishing “access points.” [...] Millennials don’t own a gym at home, they buy a membership. We don’t subscribe to cable television, we watch Netflix. We don’t buy CDs, we stream music. American car sales are on the decline because we Lyft or Uber. We can rent a bicycle, get a degree online, have our meals delivered to us, and document our entire lives on social media.

I'm the juxtaposition of cable and Netflix as if you're buying jackshit with a cable subscription vs access lmfao

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vox Nihili posted:

Cable isn't ownership.

An online degree, meal delivery, and social media aren't renting.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

renting my taco bell tonight

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
technically we’re just renting our existence on this planet ergo it’s the natural order of things

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

American car sales are on the decline because we buy used or take the bus or train

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

Insanite posted:

I feel like there are a lot of pointed questions about communism that can be succinctly rebutted by pointing out that this is happening

edit: Oh my God that obviously flophouse picture is their headline image https://twitter.com/PodShare they're not even ashamed of it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

https://twitter.com/MikePrysner/status/1171335785972301825

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

SpaceGoku posted:

[karl marx, holding a monkey's paw] "okay so imagine in the future, nobody owns anything, that's what I wish for"

ftfy

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
I think it's no coincidence that the last time any serious communist organizing went on in the U.S there were flophouses housing a large precariously occupied labor force. I wonder what kind of sentiments will prevail among a group of people locked out of owning property, forced to share everything among one another but also paying rent to a landlord...

The Gibson-style pod hotels always seemed much more alienating. Everything was computerized and you didn't interact with anyone. What these idiots should do is create "luxury" style pods, give the inhabitants a discount on a meal delivery service and really try to prevent people from interacting. Maybe even have the pod pour you a glass of lovely booze when you came in for the night. It would do wonders to prevent a peasant revolt.

Insanite posted:

what’s cool is that everywhere that was flipped will need thousands of dollars minimum pumped into it to correct shoddy flip work

There should be laws that prevent a house for being x% more than its previous price within a certain time frame, I'd say like 5 years. Unless of course the seller could cough up all the requisite permits and submit an argument for why the house is now worth so much more than when they bought it. During the bubble here so many lovely apartments got flipped to condos it was insane. A coat of paint and all this contemporary looking poo poo just glued all over and the wiring and plumbing were still 100 years old in some cases.

Olive Branch posted:

I moved into an apartment with an old pal as my roommate and was warned the oven heats 100 degrees more than indicated and one of the stovetop elements doesn't work. When I asked my buddy if the oven was on the lease and if the landlord was aware, he said yes, and that the landlord told him "this is how it is" for the oven. gently caress ooooooff and replace our oven, rear end in a top hat.

The oven is clearly on its way out and it would be a surprise to no one if one day it stopped working entirely.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

“I want everyone else to live like they’re in judge dredd” is one of the weirder liberal memes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

T-man posted:

renting my taco bell tonight

Teach a man to fish, you feed him for life. Give a man a delivery app, you extract rents from his every meal.

Serf
May 5, 2011

autism ZX spectrum posted:

I think it's no coincidence that the last time any serious communist organizing went on in the U.S there were flophouses housing a large precariously occupied labor force. I wonder what kind of sentiments will prevail among a group of people locked out of owning property, forced to share everything among one another but also paying rent to a landlord...

they're paying $1500/night and make nearly 100k a year working for tech companies. they think they're king poo poo

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Serf posted:

they're paying $1500/night

is this an exaggeration or the real number because if so, holy poo poo

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grand Prize Winner posted:

is this an exaggeration or the real number because if so, holy poo poo

It's more like 1500/2000 a month.

For a bunk bed in a shared space that you're not allowed to have sex in and need to have your social media info displayed on your bunk.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

gently caress

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I think marx was smart enough to not gently caress with a monkey's paw

me on the other hand?

eh

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
do these camp communes have any like, secure storage, or is everybody just going to get their laptop stolen

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
also, motherfuckers snore. especially ones that are five drinks deep when they pass out. what happens when you get posted up below jimmy chainsaw apnea

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jonny 290 posted:

also, motherfuckers snore. especially ones that are five drinks deep when they pass out. what happens when you get posted up below jimmy chainsaw apnea

snoring is considered aggression so they broke the NAP first so it's fair game.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fallom posted:

“I want everyone else to live like they’re in judge dredd” is one of the weirder liberal memes
Everyone in Judge Dredd lives in an actual apartment. The only reason there are homeless people is because they can't build mega-apartment blocks fast enough, and because America's racist tendencies have morphed into hating opposing apartment blocks.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I would loving kill for a Judge-Dredd-sized apartment.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

do these camp communes have any like, secure storage, or is everybody just going to get their laptop stolen

I've heard that sometimes hobos will wear their backpacks under their coat while they rest because they can't afford to have any important items go missing while they're traveling looking for work

the people living in these rat-packers are gonna figure out similar solutions because that's what they are: tech hobo

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Tashilicious posted:

For a bunk bed in a shared space that you're not allowed to have sex in and need to have your social media info displayed on your bunk.

lol

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bunk bed will display my prestigious WeedBonerHitler social media account

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
at least you can theoretically gently caress in a cube hotel. an open air flophouse like that is barely a step up from the street which means only the deluded or desperate will ever stay there lol. you're either such an insane person that you really think it's a Unique Maker Space Opportunity or you just dont want to get kicked awake by a cop again

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I don’t think the capitalists thought this through. how can The exploited procreate more exploitable labor and consumers when they don’t let them gently caress?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Awesome Animals posted:

I don’t think the capitalists thought this through. how can The exploited procreate more exploitable labor and consumers when they don’t let them gently caress?

The proles can rent private fuckpods from the sister app Bownr.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

Awesome Animals posted:

Implying capitalists give any thought beyond next quarter’s earnings.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah we are steadily moving towards privacy being something you pay extra for

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Awesome Animals posted:

Clones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Insanite posted:

Jfc...can we at least get these people a curtain so they can masturbate in peace? Or maybe a loving cubicle wall for $1,000 a month?