Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This schedule has me worried that 13.0 is going to be a buggy shitshow. I know I won't be able to resist though and will be installing that GM the moment it's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

enojy posted:

Nope! New phones only -- despite suggesting that the Neural Engine was leveraged for Night Mode, what they really meant was Third Generation Neural Engine.

Uggggghhh :(
Dog Mode, at least?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
So would a XS become cheaper now, the 20th or never? It's not actually available for sale on Apple's site now and I'm a dork who needs 512GB. So looks like my only options for that would be the 11 Pro or an old XS, so I'm curious as to what the price difference actually comes out to.

e: btw the capacities are 64/256/512GB for the Pros and 64/128/256 for the standard 11, per Apple's site (either I missed it or the keynote just didn't bother mentioning)

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Sep 10, 2019

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

This schedule has me worried that 13.0 is going to be a buggy shitshow. I know I won't be able to resist though and will be installing that GM the moment it's out.

Just install the beta and see. It’s been fine so far

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

13 will be fine. they ripped all the buggy poo poo out (i.e. everything cool and new other than dark mode) of that and stuck it in 13.1

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minidust posted:

So would a XS become cheaper now, the 20th or never? It's not actually available for sale on Apple's site now and I'm a dork who needs 512GB. So looks like my only options for that would be the 11 Pro or an old XS, so I'm curious as to what the price difference actually comes out to.

I'm wondering this too. How do carriers normally deal with stock of phones that Apple doesn't sell anymore?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I'm wondering this too. How do carriers normally deal with stock of phones that Apple doesn't sell anymore?

They throw them in the garbage where they belong now that the newer better phones are out.

Real talk though I imagine they try and run pretty lean leading up to this so they probably don’t have a huge stock to burn through.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I hoped we would get a 1TB model because I am a dirty digital hoarder who doesn't want to stream music. But even for the less-:spergin: peeps out there, I think all that 4K HDR 60fps slofie video is gonna add up quickly... so it's not such a crazy ask!!!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

All the phones are still too big

I guess I'll be using the SE forever

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I feel like they're deliberately making it slightly difficult to cross-shop the XR and the 11 (AKA Budget Model and Budget Model n-1) so here's a quick tech specs breakdown to see what's worth $100 more.

- $699 iPhone 11 vs. $599 iPhone XR
- Exact same dimensions, weight
- Same display
- Effectively identical video capture options (rear-facing)

11-specific upgrades (bolded are more pertinent upgrades, anything not mentioned is effectively identical or unspecified):

- A13 SoC w/ 3rd gen Neural Engine (up from A12, 2nd gen)
- 1 hour more battery life than XR
- Added ultrawide lens
- Night Mode and a host of much less exciting camera upgrades such as the new "Stage Mono" Portrait Mode effect
- 12MP 4k@60 front-facing camera (up from 7MP 1080p@60) (no mention of Slofies but Slofies)
- "Next Generation" Smart HDR for photos taken w/ rear-facing camera(s)
- Added 256GB storage capacity option (64, 128, 256)
- "Spatial Audio" with Dolby Atmos support (You can't make this poo poo up; when comparing 11 -> XR -> X, it's "Spatial Audio" vs "Wider Stereo" vs "Stereo")
- Gigabit LTE (up from "LTE Advanced")
- Ultra Wideband chip (enhances/accelerates NFC & Bluetooth operations, e.g. AirDrop)
- IP68 (up from IP67, 2m vs 1m)

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 10, 2019

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Andrast posted:

I have small hands and own a 7+ - I can't go back. The viewing space is just too good. Behaviour adapts.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

I have small hands and own a 7+ - I can't go back. The viewing space is just too good. Behaviour adapts.

Behavior is not going to adapt if I never get a larger phone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Minidust posted:

e: btw the capacities are 64/256/512GB for the Pros and 64/128/256 for the standard 11, per Apple's site (either I missed it or the keynote just didn't bother mentioning)

The iPhone X hit the Apple refurbished store 4.5 months after the XS came out (early February 2019). They might do the same next year if you can wait that long.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

The beta has been fine for me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Weedle posted:

The iPhone X hit the Apple refurbished store 4.5 months after the XS came out (early February 2019). They might do the same next year if you can wait that long.

Think I’ll go this route. I want a new phone that has 600 band support and isn’t too big but gently caress paying $1200 bucks.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Oh hey guys, better camera and battery, just like last year :effort:

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I’m not really seeing the need to go 11 Pro over 11, unless I want to start making movies on my phone?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

skooma512 posted:

Oh hey guys, better camera and battery, just like last year :effort:

What were you expecting?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

blast0rama posted:

I’m not really seeing the need to go 11 Pro over 11, unless I want to start making movies on my phone?

There's the OLED screen, and the max model if you want a bigger phone. That's about it if you dgaf about cameras

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Well gently caress. I created child accounts and the process errored out and duplicated one kid and it looks like I can't delete them until they turn 13 (in 7 loving years).

Is this really how it is.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Andrast posted:

:smith::hf::smith:

I don't even know anymore man. The smallest capacity regular 11 might win me over this year. My wife still has an iPhone 6 and has chosen to not upgrade but this has gone on for too long. She needs a new phone. I hated my 6 from the minute I got it. Too slippery. Too big. The SE was perfect and I bought one as soon as I could and I have loved it as The Most Perfect Phone TM. It is hard for me to get excited about this stuff the way I used to. I hate all cases and don't use anything on my phones. The cameras are nice, but I fear damaging the phone in some usage for videos and photos, so I have a GoPro Hero7 Black Edition that is holyshit cool that I find taking to capture videos of my kids and stuff way better than my phone ever did.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Minidust posted:

Just because Apple stops selling it in their stores doesn't mean Best Buy, et al. won't keep selling it, or that Apple won't keep manufacturing it.

There's also the Refurb Store, and the XS will be available there for a while.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

GM is out but only for devs at this moment.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Maneki Neko posted:

Well gently caress. I created child accounts and the process errored out and duplicated one kid and it looks like I can't delete them until they turn 13 (in 7 loving years).

Is this really how it is.

I mean most parents hold on for 18 years so I'd say Apple is being pretty generous, there.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
If I do care about cameras and use them for outdoorsy shots and group selfies while hiking is the pro worth it over the 11? I own a real camera but don’t take it every time, especially if I’m packing light.

I’m coming from a 6s.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rolo posted:

If I do care about cameras and use them for outdoorsy shots and group selfies while hiking is the pro worth it over the 11? I own a real camera but don’t take it every time, especially if I’m packing light.

I’m coming from a 6s.

Wait for some fuckin nerds outside of apple to get their hands on the phones and do a spergy review/comparison? :shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Rolo posted:

I’m coming from a 6s.

Probably but yeah, wait for reviews.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I have never seen an iPhone photo that looked good zoomed in. Those promo pictures were awfully nice, but there's only so much you can squeeze out of a tiny sensor.

Although in this case it's 3 tiny sensors right? Maybe they can work some magic combining images from each.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Clark Nova posted:

Wait for some fuckin nerds outside of apple to get their hands on the phones and do a spergy review/comparison? :shrug:

That makes sense.

Also what’s the deal with battery life being listed as [other phone] + X? I know it’s them telling people reasons to go from the XS to 11 but it means nothing to me. How many hours are they claiming for the pro?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

No cell phone photo looks good zoomed in, they all turn into blotchy oil paintings. It's a result of all the processing the phone does and the diminutive sensor sizes.

They make pictures that look totally fine at 8x10 though, just don't crop. :v:

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Rolo posted:

That makes sense.

Also what’s the deal with battery life being listed as [other phone] + X? I know it’s them telling people reasons to go from the XS to 11 but it means nothing to me. How many hours are they claiming for the pro?

Battery life "hours" are loving nonsense all around. It greatly varies depending on how you use your phone.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ddogflex posted:

Battery life "hours" are loving nonsense all around. It greatly varies depending on how you use your phone.

I know but at least I could use their numbers as benchmarks between phones.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm a little confused on the pricing.

People who trade in get a monthly discount, but if you're on AUP and are a year in, you still pay full monthly price?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm a little confused on the pricing.

People who trade in get a monthly discount, but if you're on AUP and are a year in, you still pay full monthly price?

Yes, because if you're a year into your AUP, you still owe them half the cost of the phone. By trading that in, they are relieving the remainder of your debt and restarting a new low.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

io_burn posted:

What were you expecting?

I guess I'm still in the mindset of updates being gigantic when I know the reality is that the smartphone is mature and all the low hanging fruit features are gone.

I'm still on the 7+. Took advantage of the battery program and I should be good for another two years.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

They throw them in the garbage where they belong now that the newer better phones are out.

Real talk though I imagine they try and run pretty lean leading up to this so they probably don’t have a huge stock to burn through.

XS and XS Max don’t sell as well as the XR, so I think there is more stock on hand than people would think.

That said, usually the carriers cut the price a bit, probably starting in a week or two.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
My last phone broke so I have to buy one of these godforsaken iPhones. Can anyone speak to the difference the phones’ LCD vs OLED displays? I’m not super keen on the PWM still used in iPhone OLED, but I also know how bad the display quality is on the LCD. And then there’s the size of course.

Anyone who’s been able to compare an X(S) and XR in person to give an indication of what 11 Pro vs non-Pro will be like?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Just go to a carrier store now and see how the XR, XS, XS Max stack up against each other. Many people don't notice the difference between the displays and think the XR is perfect, and some don't, you need to check them out for yourself.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, I want to but just don’t have any stores nearby so I almost need to go in with a playbook for testing or something at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Apple's LCDs are great but the OLEDs are definitely better. The blacks are much darker.