Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Hey guys. Mildly urgent. Anyone know anyone who does criminal law in the Pittsburgh area? Minor issue with friend. I am not licensed in PA so I can’t help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Toona its your time to shine!

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Correction:

Anyone who is not Toona

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

ActusRhesus posted:

Hey guys. Mildly urgent. Anyone know anyone who does criminal law in the Pittsburgh area? Minor issue with friend. I am not licensed in PA so I can’t help.

Yeah, I know a bunch.

Edit: :(

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ActusRhesus posted:

Correction:

Anyone who is not Toona

Toona the Cat posted:

Yeah, I know a bunch.

Add this poo poo to the front page right loving now. I'm dying.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Pook Good Mook posted:

Add this poo poo to the front page right loving now. I'm dying.

Glad I amuse.

Closest I’ve got to PA ties is the trooper who caught the amber alert in one of my cases. Awesome dude. And gave me solid gold “hero good guy cop” testimony on the stand. Even SV would have felt punched in the feels.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
UN is currently hiring law-talking-guy jobs in Baghdad and Mosul and such to prosecute ISIL. How retarded would one have to be to apply?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

ActusRhesus posted:

Correction:

Anyone who is not Toona

Toona the Cat posted:

Yeah, I know a bunch.

cackling irl

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

It isn't a real conversation in this thread until Toona gets burned.

The current question regarding billing in the question megathread is going to have an amazing ending at this rate.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

UN is currently hiring law-talking-guy jobs in Baghdad and Mosul and such to prosecute ISIL. How retarded would one have to be to apply?

Prosecutors gotta prosecute, and with Daesh, your chances of prosecuting an actually evil person are far higher - maybe even approaching double digit percentages.

On a less snarky note, what jurisdiction does the UN have to prosecute crimes in Iraq?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

joat mon posted:

Prosecutors gotta prosecute, and with Daesh, your chances of prosecuting an actually evil person are far higher - maybe even approaching double digit percentages.

On a less snarky note, what jurisdiction does the UN have to prosecute crimes in Iraq?

Valid question, and it's because they're putting together a mechanism for prosecuting them for crimes against humanity.

"This position is located within the United Nations Investigative Team for Accountability of Da'esh / ISIL (UNITAD) and will be based in Baghdad, Dohuk, or Mosul, Iraq.

UNITAD was established by the Secretary-General pursuant to Security Council resolution 2379 (2017), according to which it is mandated to support domestic efforts to hold ISIL (Da'esh) accountable by collecting, preserving and storing evidence in Iraq of acts that may amount to war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide committed by the terrorist group ISIL (Da'esh) in Iraq."

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Eminent Domain posted:

It isn't a real conversation in this thread until Toona gets burned.

The current question regarding billing in the question megathread is going to have an amazing ending at this rate.

Of the handful of plaintiff's attorneys I know in Florida that I've spoken to, most do not keep extremely detailed time records because it isn't a hard requirement. Like I just posted in the thread, I kept much more detailed records when I was working criminal defense than I have in the contingency world.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah but like, less detailed doesn't mean no. You'd want to at least throw down a vague description followed by (8) for each day.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No time sheets in the government friends

It’s bliss

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I have to keep it primarily for grant reporting purposes, so that's always fun.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Arcturas posted:

Yeah but like, less detailed doesn't mean no. You'd want to at least throw down a vague description followed by (8) for each day.

In some cases it's none. Florida courts follow a modified federal lodestar approach. The judge determines what a reasonable number of hours to complete a task and what a reasonable rate for the task is. Even if you track things meticulously, if your time is beyond the "reasonable" time determined by the court, it's reduced to whatever the reasonable time is. You are also allowed to add in your time spent calculating the hours worked. If you are granted fees, you then go back and look at the number of documents drafted, emails sent, phone calls logged, etc., and you get the standard time and hourly rate that has been used previously.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Link please.

Seriously though. Disinclined to leave my kid. But. The work I did in Iraq was some of the most rewarding stuff I’ve ever done. If I were still single, would absolutely apply.

Also. “Retarded” is not nice. Try another adjective that isn’t horribly ableist.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
spread the word to end the word!!!!

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

ActusRhesus posted:

Also. “Retarded” is not nice. Try another adjective that isn’t horribly ableist.

Isn't the pendulum swinging back now? #CancelRoger_Mudd

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

Link please.

Seriously though. Disinclined to leave my kid. But. The work I did in Iraq was some of the most rewarding stuff I’ve ever done. If I were still single, would absolutely apply.

P3: https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=123086&Lang=en-US

P4: ...gone. It must've just closed.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
you should still keep track, even if its quarter segments like most bad plaintiff attorneys. That way you know what your profit is looking like compared to work performed, where/what you are spending your time doing, and to track anyone working under you to see if they bill enough to warrant their salary, and for malpractice defense reasons

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

euphronius posted:

No time sheets in the government friends

It’s bliss

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ActusRhesus posted:

Correction:

Anyone who is not Toona

Cold, but I'm sure toona could actually refer you to people as he worked at the PDs office. Don't recommend any study partners though.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Valid question, and it's because they're putting together a mechanism for prosecuting them for crimes against humanity.

"This position is located within the United Nations Investigative Team for Accountability of Da'esh / ISIL (UNITAD) and will be based in Baghdad, Dohuk, or Mosul, Iraq.

UNITAD was established by the Secretary-General pursuant to Security Council resolution 2379 (2017), according to which it is mandated to support domestic efforts to hold ISIL (Da'esh) accountable by collecting, preserving and storing evidence in Iraq of acts that may amount to war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide committed by the terrorist group ISIL (Da'esh) in Iraq."

The current culmination of all of UNITAD's work:

quote:

It is my hope that within the next two months [of 19 July 2019] the team will have provided tangible support with respect to at least one ongoing case before national courts.

OTOH,
They're doing really good investigation/documentation/preservation work and trying to push for international due process/punishment norms in Iraqi courts, but they're not prosecuting.

I think it would be very frustrating work going there thinking you'd be prosecuting.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Roger_Mudd posted:

Isn't the pendulum swinging back now? #CancelRoger_Mudd

As the tides of social change march on, I can only lament the loss of the best word I can use to describe myself

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

If it’s anything like the stuff I did, you will absolutely not be prosecuting. Or lawyering. Still. Met a lot of amazing people and facilitated worthwhile stuff.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

blarzgh posted:

As the tides of social change march on, I can only lament the loss of the best word I can use to describe myself

I think fucktard is still ok.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

joat mon posted:

The current culmination of all of UNITAD's work:

OTOH,
They're doing really good investigation/documentation/preservation work and trying to push for international due process/punishment norms in Iraqi courts, but they're not prosecuting.

I think it would be very frustrating work going there thinking you'd be prosecuting.

Oh yeah, there won't be any courtroom work for years, if ever. But still!

There's also a posting up for actually prosecuting some war criminal shitbags out of the Hague in a retrial if that's more your bag.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
One of my PD mentors went from prosecuting in Iraq to defending at GITMO. Kind of wild.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Oh yeah, there won't be any courtroom work for years, if ever. But still!

There's also a posting up for actually prosecuting some war criminal shitbags out of the Hague in a retrial if that's more your bag.

Link?

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005

https://careers.un.org/lbw/jobdetail.aspx?id=122310&Lang=en-US

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Talking about application, apparently a computer issue mulched a slew Clerkship and Staff Attorney applications made through OSCAR:
https://www.uscourts.gov/news/2019/...mpaign=usc-news

"Only" about 3 months' worth of applications were affected...

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Waiting on hearing if Leperflesh has a house.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Can we collectively agree to stop answering legal thread questions from the would-be legal fiverr startup disruptor? Just reading their posts makes me feel like an accessory.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I’m sure you guys get similar spam, but today I got a lawyer.com spam message I felt worth sharing. “I need a divorce. He did not tell me he had HIV before we got married.”

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You could probably get an annulment for that

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Just lost my cool during a hearing, and stood up, interrupted OC during argument: "Your honor, He keeps saying 'X', and its just wrong, just flat wrong. The case law says its wrong, co-counsel has explained that its wrong, and even his own document says its wrong, and I just can't listen to him say it anymore! I can't listen to it anymore."

I didn't get in trouble tho so we're good.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

blarzgh posted:

Just lost my cool during a hearing, and stood up, interrupted OC during argument: "Your honor, He keeps saying 'X', and its just wrong, just flat wrong. The case law says its wrong, co-counsel has explained that its wrong, and even his own document says its wrong, and I just can't listen to him say it anymore! I can't listen to it anymore."

I didn't get in trouble tho so we're good.

Eviction?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

A bullshit motion for sanctions against one of the lawyers in our firm. Because its a Trespass to Try Title suit, its a blatant attempt to try and recoup attorneys fees in a type of case where they're expressly disallowed, so to loving plant your flag on an allegation that a good lawyer acted in bad faith just to try an get some fees is A#1 cocksuckery in my book, so I went in mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

I feel the same in habeas cases where they’re claiming willful prosecutorial misconduct against good and ethical people.

Had one where a murder witness was a crack whore already in jail for federal drug stuff. She had a deal for her testimony. It was disclosed.

Later on the day of her sentencing the prosecutor found out she was HIV positive and argued for time served.

Habeas counsel then accused him of having a secret deal with the witness. Witness’s lawyer testified he was totally surprised, as was his client.

But hey. Let’s try to call someone unethical for deciding to show compassion to a recovering addict with a terminal illness. :rolleyes: