Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Elyv posted:

this set is remarkably wordy

Really don't like the at Random here. Needed to be a choice and to do it on ETB as well as upkeep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

How can the power hungry nobility be white

Nobility is inherently authoritarian, which is white

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Plenty of great artists out there that haven't gotten a shot to put their art on magic cards that I could give a poo poo if Rebecca Guay gets another magic card.

She's pretty much an institution in Magic illustration for anyone that's been playing the game since 2007 or earlier. People in this thread keep hoping for her to make some kind of a comeback, but anyone that's been following Guay's public-facing social media for a while knows that she moved on to teach art at Pratt Institute and that she moved on to gallery work.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Really trying to figure out how good charming prince is in mono white death and taxes. Seems playable at first glance.

The bounce effect is like half resto half flickerwisp, but it costs less and has no evasion, but it also has two other ok abilities that play nicely with the deck. See no reason to not try a couple but that 2 spot is busy with the stoneforge unban.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

"hey play arena guys"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Don't open this link at work: https://beautifulbizarre.net/2016/08/24/interview-with-rebecca-leveille-guay/

She's never coming back. The five basic lands she illustrated for Commander 2016 were just a postscript.

I totally respect that. I wondered why she changed her name, too; that's interesting.

Good on her, though. It's not everyday someone gains the ability to express themselves however they like as a career.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Elyv posted:

This seems good? Hasty tokens every turn is legit, I kept looking for the “sac at eot” clause

AngryBooch posted:

Really don't like the at Random here. Needed to be a choice and to do it on ETB as well as upkeep.

I think that would be format defining

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

lol dweebs have been pining for more Guay art for decades and she's like "pshh nerds got better poo poo to do" I love it

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Archenteron posted:

If they bring back Emperor as a format I'm gonna lol.

Also that 1 Mana threaten seems like a hilarious(ly bad) idea in modern

One of the very first Magic games I ever played in ~2005 or so was an Emperor game and I thought the format was really cool. Why'd it die out?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Good for Guay for getting to follow her bliss, but lol that pretentious artist statement on her site is more embarrassing being a mercenary illustrator for a card game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

axeil posted:

One of the very first Magic games I ever played in ~2005 or so was an Emperor game and I thought the format was really cool. Why'd it die out?

commander took over as casual multiplayer game of the choice because it didn't demand exactly 6 people

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

whydirt posted:

Good for Guay for getting to follow her bliss, but lol that pretentious artist statement on her site is more embarrassing being a mercenary illustrator for a card game.

You don't read a lot of artist statements. I speak that language and that's like baseline stuff.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Elyv posted:

Why does this card cost double white, yet among the 6 abilities on the creatures, only 1 is a white ability?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lone Goat posted:

commander took over as casual multiplayer game of the choice because it didn't demand exactly 6 people

Oh. That makes so much sense

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Why does this card cost double white, yet among the 6 abilities on the creatures, only 1 is a white ability?

Because making creature tokens every turn is white, black, green, red in that order? (Or maybe b and g flipped)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Star Man posted:

You don't read a lot of artist statements. I speak that language and that's like baseline stuff.

Yeah, this is totally normal and pretty great for that kind of thing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

So for paper it'll be "roll a six sided die" most of the time?

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
What was the "official" ruleset for Emperor back in the day anyway? My friends and I just the other day got into a long debate and none of us could remember exactly

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

whydirt posted:

I wouldn't call it pretentious at all, it's pretty well-grounded as far as those things go.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
E: Not gonna get into this

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

What was the "official" ruleset for Emperor back in the day anyway? My friends and I just the other day got into a long debate and none of us could remember exactly

Obviously just look on the rules sheet that came with your copy of the Battle Royale box set.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Because making creature tokens every turn is white, black, green, red in that order? (Or maybe b and g flipped)

This card could be monored if that Lifelink was, like, Intimidate. I don't even think the card would need to be a creature instead of an enchantment.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
how many token types are in this set

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Elyv posted:

That's going to be a nightmare at prereleases. Thankfully it's a mythic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

This seems...hard to evaluate but it also seems really easy to improve your opponent’s card quality if they sandbag lands?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

A 4/3 for four by itself doesn't seem great, so it's really depending on the hand disruption which... I dunno. Fine?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

This seems...hard to evaluate but it also seems really easy to improve your opponent’s card quality if they sandbag lands?

It seems absolutely awful, not only is it way below rate for its mana cost but it doesn't even put your opponent down a card when it connects. I don't really want to give my opponents half of a desperate ravings.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Hellsau posted:

This card could be monored if that Lifelink was, like, Intimidate. I don't even think the card would need to be a creature instead of an enchantment.

Yeah but then it wouldn't be making a friar, a littlejohn, and an archer.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

This should cost 3 mana. It would not be a very good card at 3 mana.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

random loot is largely a wash so it's limited filler, it's mostly that 4/3 vanilla yeti from tarkir

obviously it's unplayable in constructed

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Elyv posted:

Clerics in the back to keep those fighters hale and hearty

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Nobility is inherently authoritarian, which is white

But all the vampire cards are black and the aristocracy are leeches

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Gruul is the only moral guild

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

Gruul is the only moral guild

Until they sided with Bolas because Domri is a moron.

Then, he flipped after it was too late.

Then, he got his face crushed.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Gruul are the biggest dumbest losers in the setting and I won't be convinced otherwise.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sampatrick posted:

But all the vampire cards are black and the aristocracy are leeches

You need to go back and check out the Vampire Conquistadors we got 4-5 sets ago.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Elyv posted:

random loot is largely a wash so it's limited filler, it's mostly that 4/3 vanilla yeti from tarkir

obviously it's unplayable in constructed

If it was a 4 mana 4/3 that allowed you to random rummage, then it'd be a fine card. Allowing your opponent to keep bad cards in hand and turn them into good cards is a pretty huge drawback, and a 4/3 for 4 is a mediocre card so having a drawback is pretty bad.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

axeil posted:

Oh. That makes so much sense

I imagine it's also why Type 4 died off and that makes me sad. That was a fun format.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What’s the best combination of sleeves to disguise Chinese counterfeits from inquisitive opponents??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

fadam posted:

What’s the best combination of sleeves to disguise Chinese counterfeits from inquisitive opponents??

Probably these. https://www.amazon.com/Max-Pro-CHINESE-Shuffle-Tech-Sleeves-Collection/dp/B01GU55HF6