Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I still love my 3.

I’m not sure the 5 is enough of an upgrade really. I primarily use it for workout tracking and notifications.

Although there are rare times when I’m working out I’ll get a tap but can’t raise the screen enough to see what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm only a *little* annoyed I had to get a 4 early.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Trade-in values plummeted so my plan to trade in and upgrade to a series is no go. :rip:

ahah yes. My SS Series 4 44MM is worth $110. I'll just use this until it no longer receives WatchOS updates.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Was “18-hour battery life” an actual bullet point as mentioned on the Mac Rumors live blog? Cause lol if so. The battery is what is holding the watch back by far.

If it's 18 hours and the screen is always on, isn't that by default ridiculously more efficient?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Taima posted:

If it's 18 hours and the screen is always on, isn't that by default ridiculously more efficient?

Not really if you can't turn it off.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I've got a 42mm series 3. If I upgrade to a series 5 will any of my bands fit ether size?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Keep theatre mode on at all times and reap the benefits :v:

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

Not really if you can't turn it off.

I think you might be confusing battery life and efficiency, two different metrics.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've got a 42mm series 3. If I upgrade to a series 5 will any of my bands fit ether size?
38mm = 40mm
42mm = 44mm

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

38mm = 40mm
42mm = 44mm

Pants Donkey posted:

38mm = 40mm
42mm = 44mm

Sweet. Guess I'm upgrading soon as they go up on Verizon's store then.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Taima posted:

I think you might be confusing battery life and efficiency, two different metrics.

Battery life is the only one that matters to users.

Just because if efficiently drains my battery in 18 hours doesn’t mean that the battery life isn’t poo poo (or at the very least, worse than my series 4), and all of that efficiency is pretty wasted.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Last time I bought an Apple Watch, the nigh-indestructible sapphire crystal display was only on stainless steel and ceramic models. Is that still the case? Is it also on the titanium model?

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I guess Fitbit is pissed. Why on Earth would an iPhone user get a Versa 2 when the Series 3 is leagues better? Unless the battery on the Versa actually works now (my old Versa couldn’t make it three days, much less the advertised 4+) that isn’t a huge selling point!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

Last time I bought an Apple Watch, the nigh-indestructible sapphire crystal display was only on stainless steel and ceramic models. Is that still the case? Is it also on the titanium model?
Hasn’t Apple’s “sapphire” always been bullshit marketing speak and the thing is just glass?

But yes, the Stainless Steel models on the 4 had the sapphire display that for some reason scratches just like glass.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pants Donkey posted:

Hasn’t Apple’s “sapphire” always been bullshit marketing speak and the thing is just glass?

But yes, the Stainless Steel models on the 4 had the sapphire display that for some reason scratches just like glass.

Are you saying apple was lying about using sapphire?

My stainless never scratched, and I hit a lot of poo poo with it. Up/downgraded to an aluminum series 4 which also still has no scratches.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
It's an artificial sapphire. YMMV of course, but the SS versions are very very durable. I rocked a S0 until I upgraded to a 4 and it was in near mint condition.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's an artificial sapphire. YMMV of course, but the SS versions are very very durable. I rocked a S0 until I upgraded to a 4 and it was in near mint condition.

Well it's man-made of course but its still sapphire. It's not like they're telling you it's diamond and it's really zirconia.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Sweet. Guess I'm upgrading soon as they go up on Verizon's store then.

Why would you buy it from Verizon?

Violator
May 15, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Holy cow that must have been quite the upgrade for you.

Edit: I went from 0 to 3 and was super impressed, the 4 must have been amazing.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

Battery life is the only one that matters to users.

Just because if efficiently drains my battery in 18 hours doesn’t mean that the battery life isn’t poo poo (or at the very least, worse than my series 4), and all of that efficiency is pretty wasted.

I don't understand your point.

If the always on watch face matters to a user, then they appreciate the added efficiency that is allowing that to happen without any noteworthy battery downgrade from the series 4. More battery use at the same battery life = the definition of efficiency. To say that it doesn't matter to users is ridiculous.

If a user doesn't care about the always on face, then yes, the added efficiency doesn't matter to them. That makes sense, but your claim that no user cares about the always on face is strange.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pirate Jet posted:

You could just, like, look on the website. (Yes.)

I guess it's time to update the OP.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Taima posted:

I don't understand your point.

If the always on watch face matters to a user, then they appreciate the added efficiency that is allowing that to happen without any noteworthy battery downgrade from the series 4. More battery use at the same battery life = the definition of efficiency. To say that it doesn't matter to users is ridiculous.

If a user doesn't care about the always on face, then yes, the added efficiency doesn't matter to them. But you're the one saying that no one cares, not me.

My point was between battery life and efficiency. Nobody cares if their watch efficiently dies. They care that it lasts a long time, even at the cost of efficiency (but usually at the cost of bulkier batteries). It seems like we are getting to a point of trying to have our cake and eat it too with features and battery life, and someone will be mad about the decision unless new and game changing battery technology comes out.

That said, I don’t think Apple would be dumb enough to not allow people to turn off the always-on feature. And if the watch lasts 18 hours with the face always on, then it should last longer with the face off. If not, that just seems inefficient, to bring it back around.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Violator posted:

Holy cow that must have been quite the upgrade for you.

Edit: I went from 0 to 3 and was super impressed, the 4 must have been amazing.

I did the same and it was. I'm gonna keep my 4 until they have another big health related feature.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

I went from an aluminum 0 to a stainless steel 3 and the 0 had the absolute hell scratched out of it by then. Two years later and my 3 is still pristine.

Endless Mike posted:

You could just, like, look on the website. (Yes.)

I guess it's time to update the OP.

I did and I couldn’t find it anywhere. I’m sorry. :(

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

My point was between battery life and efficiency. Nobody cares if their watch efficiently dies.

They care if the efficiency improvements brought better features (always on display) at the same battery point.

Or at least, I do, and apparently Apple does.

I dunno man sorry maybe I'm missing your point.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

Taima posted:

They care if the efficiency improvements brought better features (always on display) at the same battery point.

Or at least, I do, and apparently Apple does.

I dunno man sorry maybe I'm missing your point.

I think we are just talking about two different things that involve a lot of the same words, tbh.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Definitely gonna get my first Apple Watch! Most likely GPS, but can someone briefly explain how cellular works (at lest in the U.S.)? It's hard to get a straightforward answer since carrier websites are mostly awful and don't really provide relevant info without corralling you through the entire purchase process. Like would I just be paying Verizon an extra :10bux:/month or what?

For those who have used cellular, did you find it worthwhile?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

colachute posted:

I think we are just talking about two different things that involve a lot of the same words, tbh.

I am suspecting that too, my apologies for wasting your time :)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Minidust posted:

Definitely gonna get my first Apple Watch! Most likely GPS, but can someone briefly explain how cellular works (at lest in the U.S.)? It's hard to get a straightforward answer since carrier websites are mostly awful and don't really provide relevant info without corralling you through the entire purchase process. Like would I just be paying Verizon an extra :10bux:/month or what?

Pretty much just the extra a month. Its usefulness will depend on how often you're not with your phone.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can transfer media to your watch but it's dog slow and doesn't always work. So yeah, if you're going to be without your phone a lot and still want connectivity then LTE is the way to go.

I'll try and transfer a podcast and it won't do anything for 2 days and then all of a sudden it's on the Watch. Maybe others have better luck.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I updated the OP! Let me know if I missed anything/got anything wrong!

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

XBenedict posted:

Why would you buy it from Verizon?

They are my carrier, it gets added to my phone bill on a monthly plan, and I get a discount on any devices I buy through them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I imagine carriers will have some incentives that make it more attractive than doing a BYOW.

I have a series 1 still so I’m stoked to upgrade after getting Christmas monies.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can transfer media to your watch but it's dog slow and doesn't always work. So yeah, if you're going to be without your phone a lot and still want connectivity then LTE is the way to go.

I'll try and transfer a podcast and it won't do anything for 2 days and then all of a sudden it's on the Watch. Maybe others have better luck.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Pretty much just the extra a month. Its usefulness will depend on how often you're not with your phone.
Good points, thanks. Do the various running apps work well enough without cellular? Also I'd like to be able to use Apple Pay without my phone on me. I'll be listening to music but only via local storage, so streaming isn't a concern.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Minidust posted:

It's definitely a "this is nice but absolutely not needed" thing for me. I can go running with just a watch and airpods and still being able to receive calls or text is nice. Around christmas I spend a lot of time at the beach and I just leave my phone home. 90% of the day the phone is with me so i'm genuinely only paying for every other afternoon and sometimes during the weekend. For $10/month it's an absolute ripoff but I'm an idiot so i keep paying it.

Calls over LTE murder the gently caress out of the battery. Something to keep in mind.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm on T-Mobile, if I have a spare voice like and a spare tablet line sitting in my drawer, can I use those for the watch cellular, or does it have to be the extra per month separate of those?

E: would transfer to esim so not literally putting the card in the watch, but the line associated with it

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I used cellular when I got the watch. Haven’t used it much since. Seems like one of those things that is more of an insurance policy for my phone not working/not being accessible in an emergency.

Or maybe I’m just justifying it like that so I don’t get rid of it. I never really use it.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Never had an Apple Watch. Thinking about grabbing a series 3 for swimming and general health tracking. A good buy now that they are cheap?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

LionArcher posted:

Never had an Apple Watch. Thinking about grabbing a series 3 for swimming and general health tracking. A good buy now that they are cheap?

I absolutely think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

TraderStav posted:

I'm on T-Mobile, if I have a spare voice like and a spare tablet line sitting in my drawer, can I use those for the watch cellular, or does it have to be the extra per month separate of those?

E: would transfer to esim so not literally putting the card in the watch, but the line associated with it

It may be possible if you go to a store and explain. I had an unused line and they let me use it as a line for SyncUP Drive for no additional cost.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 10, 2019