Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

CaptainApathyUK posted:

There's an arc towards the end of one of the later series that was worse than anything involving Padme or Jar Jar.

The one with the little Republic general who looked like a frog, taking a team of droids (including R2) on a mission. It was plonked in the running order right when some much more interesting stuff was happening (possibly Maul?) and I just remember being really annoyed every time I reached the end of an episode and found the arc hadn't finished yet.

Still watched them all though, like a giant idiot.

What is wrong with you? That's one of the best arcs in the whole series. Astromechs in general and R2 in particular are one of the best things in the whole franchise, and the whole arc is incredibly cynical and dismissive of the myth of there being any kind of honor or dignity in being a troop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like the Warhammer 40k thing in Clone Wars where an army of genetically-engineered soldiers in space armor are led by sword-wielding religious zealots who wears armor and capes but no helmet.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Rebels is terrible and made the whole Rebel Alliance feel like a fuckin' joke.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

But enough about Roue One, let's talk about how awesome Rebels was in using Thrawn and ending Maul's story

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Maul’s story ended in Episode I and we wouldn’t be having this conversation if the marketing people at Disney didn’t dictate story ideas with the monostrategy of “Drag another dead horse out of the charnel heap for us to beat on again.”

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

High Lord Elbow posted:

Maul’s story ended in Episode I and we wouldn’t be having this conversation if the marketing people at Disney didn’t dictate story ideas with the monostrategy of “Drag another dead horse out of the charnel heap for us to beat on again.”

To be fair, Maul came back pre-Disney

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Maul fell to his death in a pit, like most star wars villains do.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Maul survived falling to his death in a pit ex post facto as nostalgia/desperate plot contrivance require, like most star wars villains do.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I never cared for Maul but it's pretty funny that they made him an unsquashable galactic cockroach with the meta motivation of getting back into the star war after being sidelined prematurely

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Rebels is amazing. The second season where the finale culminates with the reunion/duel between Ahsoka and Vader is my favorite. It's legit some of the best Star Wars content available imo. I will now take this time now to plug a faux-trailer I cut together for 'A Star Wars Story' movie that's focused on Ahsoka's arc from Rebels S2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DX2HxN_EFo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Actually putting him back in the movies in Solo kind of ruins the joke

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s telling that nearly all of Rebels’ consensus high points are when it brings back Clone Wars characters/plots.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ahsoka is the best Star Wars character. It takes a few seasons of Clone Wars to warm up to her, but past season 3—once she gets her wardrobe change—her character and story becomes 100% worth keeping up with.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

The first season was a bit "meh." The special between seasons One and Two that brought in Vader was the thing that made me go, "Okay, yeah, you know what? Disney's got this." After the three prequel movies turned Darth Vader into a whiny, emo preppy stalker, two episodes of an animated show turned him back into a legitimate, badass terrifying villain. I'll always be grateful to Rebels for doing that even beyond getting to experience Thrawn onscreen.

I admit that I'm at least mildly sad that Rise of Skywalker isn't going to bring him (and Lars Mikkelson's awesome voice acting) back. I'm half expecting that Rise of Skywalker will have Kylo Ren kill off the Resistance at the start and the rest of the movie will detail his tragic struggle with chronic priapism.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

General Dog posted:

It’s telling that nearly all of Rebels’ consensus high points are when it brings back Clone Wars characters/plots.

I think Clone Wars is the better show overall, but Rebels hits way higher highs than Clone Wars ever did at certain points, e.g., the Twin Suns Tatooine duel, the Ahsoka/Vader Malachor duel, moments of Kanan's story arc (the whole bit with the temple guards during Shroud of Darkness was amazing) and the closure to his story, the whole World Between Worlds, and Sabine with the Dark Saber, just to name a few.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Actually putting him back in the movies in Solo kind of ruins the joke

I dunno I think it's funny that he got back on screen in the last minutes of the spin off films right before they pulled the plug on spin off films

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67GI8-tyd0

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Necrotizer F posted:

The first season was a bit "meh." The special between seasons One and Two that brought in Vader was the thing that made me go, "Okay, yeah, you know what? Disney's got this."

The characters are universally dire—outside of Ahsoka, who as stated had to be imported from a better show to give Rebels some life.

Necrotizer F posted:

After the three prequel movies turned Darth Vader into a whiny, emo preppy stalker, two episodes of an animated show turned him back into a legitimate, badass terrifying villain.

This was a bad move. A creepy, incel, alt-right, emotionally-stunted, post-Columbine teenager is a lot scarier in the modern era than Metal Frankenstein. The prequels may have whiffed the execution of the character, but they nailed the idea. As much as I think the sequels also have terrible characters, Kylo is a great refinement of the same concept.

Necrotizer F posted:

I'll always be grateful to Rebels for doing that even beyond getting to experience Thrawn onscreen.

Thrawn sucks and feels like Rebels doing Kevin J. Anderson fanfiction.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Sep 10, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Vader shows up in maybe like 8 episodes for the series run, and seems actively bored by the proceedings for most of that. (The confrontation with Asoka is good though)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

feedmyleg posted:

:colbert:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

feedmyleg posted:

The characters are universally dire—outside of Ahsoka, who as stated had to be imported from a better show to give Rebels some life.

Thrawn is why you got Ahsoka to begin with. Return of the Jedi came out in 1983. And there really wasn't a follow-up to it. Then in 1987 West End Games released "The Star Wars Roleplaying Game" which was quite popular. They developed various supplements detailing planet, races, vehicles, etc. The supplements ended up being used as references for writers doing the Star Wars Expanded Universal novels which helped keep Star Wars alive and in the public mind until the prequels came out and were followed by the movie which introduced Ahsoka and the Clone Wars series. Which I believe is also coming back now.

feedmyleg posted:

This was a bad move. A creepy, incel, alt-right, emotionally-stunted, post-Columbine teenager is a lot scarier in the modern era than Metal Frankenstein. The prequels may have whiffed the execution of the character, but they nailed the idea. As much as I think the sequels also have terrible characters, Kylo is a great refinement of the same concept.

I think Vader needed to be the Vader of the original movies, but I agree with you about Kylo Ren. One of the things I liked most about The Last Jedi was the way that Snoke was unceremoniously dispatch by Ren. Palpatine wanted an intact Empire to rule. Ren seems like someone who would happily burn the whole galaxy down to warm himself.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Kylo Ren doesn’t seem more villainous than, say, Holdo.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

feedmyleg posted:

Anakin is literally a manifestation of the old testament God. He's a New Age cultist working as a humanitarian peacekeeper for the space UN. He's 23 years old.

Kylo is an archetypal Gothic protagonist. He's a religious fundamentalist employed as an inquistor/crusader by the space pope. He's 30 years old.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's weird seeing people continually trying to spin kylo as like, a gamergater or other type of internet reactionary. it feels like the last surviving bit of the really tepid 'TFA is about star wars fandom!' take

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I didn't know that TFA being about fandom was controversial. What on earth is it about, if not that?

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Franchise meta commentaries are just the worst.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

General Dog posted:

I didn't know that TFA being about fandom was controversial. What on earth is it about, if not that?

Meme:

Rey saw the OT and Luke saw the prequels.

Truth:

Rey knows very little about the events of the OT (she's actually intimately familiar with the plot of Solo). Meanwhile, Luke's understanding of history doesn't match the narrative of the prequels except in a very rudimentary way.

The memes that Rey represents fandom and so-on are a result of a narrative failure. Rey doesn't know a lot about Star Destroyers because she's a fan of popular myths and legends. She knows a lot about Star Destroyers because she's a mechanic working in a junkyard full of scuttled boats. The story that Rey is a feudal serf inhabiting a desert hellscape for over a decade is just absolutely unconvincing, so people's minds wander elsewhere.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The story that Rey is a feudal serf inhabiting a desert hellscape for over a decade is just absolutely unconvincing, so people's minds wander elsewhere.

Rey trades half of her scrap for food portions, and half of it for lotion and exfoliators.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

it's weird seeing people continually trying to spin kylo as like, a gamergater or other type of internet reactionary. it feels like the last surviving bit of the really tepid 'TFA is about star wars fandom!' take

People are so brain broken and dumb-pilled by online culture they can’t even see bad art like the ST as anything but a self-suck they derive some meager vicarious gratification from, and only with great difficulty can anything be seen as being about more than whatever ephemeral fake controversy they’ve built an identity about having an opinion on.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It’s really weird that Rey would have heard of Han from his days as a petty criminal, but have no knowledge of his record as a war hero. It would be like someone meeting Adolph Hitler in Brazil in 1970 and saying “oh, you’re that famous artist!”

How and to what extent information spreads across the galaxy is probably Star Wars’ biggest gray area.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 10, 2019

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
I'm confused by how Rey knew Luke redeemed Darth Vader. Who spread that information around the galaxy? Luke is the only living person who could have told that story, did they make a TV movie about it that the whole galaxy saw? Why would anybody believe Luke when he said it?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He burned the corpse on the forest moon of Endor . Many people must have seen that and commented etc to reporters and republican propagandists who knows it doesn’t loving matter how she knows she does.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

In one of the new books (which are canon until lucasfilm decides to contradict them), Leia is outed as Vader's daughter by a political rival while Ben is training with Luke. Presumably they had to publicize the whole redemption thing afterwards to save face, and by the time of the movies it would be common knowledge.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Robot Style posted:

In one of the new books (which are canon until lucasfilm decides to contradict them), Leia is outed as Vader's daughter by a political rival while Ben is training with Luke. Presumably they had to publicize the whole redemption thing afterwards to save face, and by the time of the movies it would be common knowledge.

Wasn't she unsure whether Luke Skywalker was even a real person when she first met Han?

To answer the original question, we can just assume Leia filled her in on everything before sending her off to retrieve Luke.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

euphronius posted:

He burned the corpse on the forest moon of Endor . Many people must have seen that and commented etc to reporters and republican propagandists who knows it doesn’t loving matter how she knows she does.

YubYub the Ewok went on to become the galaxy's greatest war correspondent

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

euphronius posted:

He burned the corpse on the forest moon of Endor .

This is a common misconception. That was just what Luke brought to the Ewok potluck barbecue. Han and Leia brought fava beans and a nice Chianti.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Sheev has bankrolled the entire first order and laundered it through the entire planet of Naboo. The gang has to break into padme’s tomb to get the jappor snippet to destroy it. It’s the one thing that is holding back ghost Hayden from fully becoming one with the force. Natalie Portman returns and gets to do a whole evil dead 2 thing as undead possessed padme. This would be a good subplot for rose and she can even run into jar jar

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Rebels is terrible

Counterpoint:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ingmar terdman posted:

I never cared for Maul but it's pretty funny that they made him an unsquashable galactic cockroach with the meta motivation of getting back into the star war after being sidelined prematurely

This is my favourite bit about Maul coming back:

In 1999 George Lucas posted:

At one point, when Obi-Wan kills Darth Maul, he just fell in the pit. I looked at it and thought this isn't going to work because, if people like him enough, they're going to want him to come back and they're going to assume somehow he gets out of it. So I had to cut him in half to say that this guy's gone, he's history, he ain't coming back.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Robot Style posted:

Hiding that development in one of their books is one of the dumbest loving things they could have done because it's something the audience should really know. The only explanation is attempting to hypermonetize the franchise by requiring fans to gobble up every lovely morsel of media in order to have even the shakiest of understandings of why the galaxy is a shitshow after the triumphant ending of ROTJ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

That would be the tail wagging the dog a bit, the real cause/effect is that creative on the movies thought that anything remotely related to space politics was too boring/unimportant/toxic for the main audience so justification got relegated to the fan fiction doled out to the turbo rubes. I would be genuinely shocked if either screenwriter on star wars 9 had any clue about this important space event