Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Carbon dioxide posted:

After lunch, we always go for a walk around the block.

Recently, a coworker even bought those trash grabber thingies, so we bring a baggie and a couple of those and clean up any trash we see on the way. The residents appreciate it, and some fresh air after lunch clears the mind right up. And no, it's not causing people to throw more trash on the streets in front of us. If anything, it's becoming less.

that's a pretty cool thing to do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Not sure why but lunch/hours chat makes me think I'm not compatible with my team. (Four paragraph write-up omitted, started off with...) I like to code so I show up early.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
How early are we talking about here? 9?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

qsvui posted:

How early are we talking about here? 9?

7:30~8:00 is my preferred start time.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Keetron posted:

7:30~8:00 is my preferred start time.

I'm also a 7-3 person. Partly because the first couple of hours of the day are by far my most productive, since the office isn't full of chatter yet, but also because getting out in the afternoon makes it almost feel like you have time to do personal things in the evening.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Mornings are great since you can just sit and get poo poo done before people start crowding up the office floor with post-lunch socialization.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

8-4 100%, especially at my current place of work where people tend to roll in around 10-1030

get a lot of poo pooposting done in that first 2h

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
My weirdest adjustment to becoming a software dev is being the second person in the office when I get in at...8:30

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I start at 9. I'd prefer to start at 10 but 9 is the start of the "core hours" we are expected to be working here. On the plus side this means that unlike at my last employer no one tries to schedule things to start at 8.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Khisanth Magus posted:

I start at 9. I'd prefer to start at 10 but 9 is the start of the "core hours" we are expected to be working here. On the plus side this means that unlike at my last employer no one tries to schedule things to start at 8.

Two employers ago I was told we had 'core hours' of literally 9 to 5. This is um not what core hours is supposed to mean.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

feedmegin posted:

Two employers ago I was told we had 'core hours' of literally 9 to 5. This is um not what core hours is supposed to mean.

It is when 60 hour weeks are expected!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

At my last place there was a guy who would come in before 5 (AM). Most everyone left between 2-3. I came in at like 10-1030 and had the office to myself for 3-4 hours every afternoon it was loving great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Being awake at all before 10:00 is self-abuse.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Bongo Bill posted:

Being awake at all before 10:00 is self-abuse.

Me at 27 would have agreed. At 37, I find myself waking up earlier. Even on weekends I'm awake by 9 am most of the time. If I sleep until 10, I feel like I wasted a bunch of the day. Of course, I'm also tired at 11 pm and the thought of staying out/up past 1 or 2 am is awful. I will never pull an all-nighter again, and I'm totally fine with that.

I also don't understand the music younger people listen to and have chronic back pain. Getting old is great, isn't it?

Basically I would expect younger people to show up later and older people to show up earlier.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have a sleeping disorder that makes it pretty impossible to sleep before 2am.

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I’m glad many of you get to work during hours that work for you :)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Just wait till the chronic back pain wakes you up if you sleep too long.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm just grateful that with my 2-hour commute each way I can start from the train and have those hours mean something

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

smackfu posted:

Getting old is the worst

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

smackfu posted:

Can confirm.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Fellatio del Toro posted:

At my last place there was a guy who would come in before 5 (AM).

One of our remote workers is on the west coast and maintains an east-coast 9-4 schedule to keep up with the rest of the office. She's also got a kindergarten-age kid that she packs up in the morning, etc. It's loving nuts that's managed to keep it going for so long. She says she likes it because she ends up with afternoon, no-kid free time.

Still feel guilty when I message he early and Slack tells me "It's 5:15AM for XXXX".

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I’ve been an old man since 16 with a back injury so I had a long head start on the physical therapy, sedentary lifestyle, and seasonal back pain that awaits me in my later years. Whether my life pattern is like Benjamin Button and I regress to listening to nu metal, busting along to No Limit rappers, and breaking out Jnco jeans at my retirement party is unknown

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

945~515 for me. 8 hours is past my limit, I rarely have 8 hours of work to do anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No I’m not sorry.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You shouldn't be

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I used to work 10-5 with a solid hour for lunch. Probably my favorite schedule.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
My office is right above a train station so I arrive at around 9:05 and leave on the 5:05 and it's pretty good aside from the price of the train ticket

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Blinkz0rz posted:

My office is right above a train station so I arrive at around 9:05 and leave on the 5:05 and it's pretty good aside from the price of the train ticket

Wait, your employer doesn't cover your travel expenses? What?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

... To travel to and from home? Or is that the joke and I'm just dense

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I suspect most employers don't cover travel expenses for an employees regular commute.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

The Fool posted:

I suspect most employers don't cover travel expenses for an employees regular commute.

Some NYC employers do that as a perk for their employees who commute from New Jersey. Commuting from NJ to NYC can easily be $300 or $400 a month.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Yeah, traditionally your commute to your office isn't covered by most companies (it's a plus perk if they do). But if you do travel to other offices, you could get travel expense reimbursement. I was fortunate enough when I was consulting to live ~2 miles from my company's office, and the rule is (or was) that any additional mileage you incur by going to a different location, you could expense. So when I had clients who were 10-15 miles away, I was definitely booking the 100+ extra miles a week.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Fool posted:

It is very very unusual in my country for companies to not cover travel expenses. They can pay € 0.19 per km or all the costs for public transport tax-free and most companies do. If a company would refuse to do so they'd probably have to shut down because nobody would want to work for them anymore. Is this yet another thing USA is being stupid about?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Pretty much.

Most places in the US don't have robust public transportation and people just drive their own cars to and from work, as a result the company feels no obligation to provide any assistance.

The places that do provide transportation assistance do it as a perk as mentioned above and are in the larger cities where train/bus/subway commutes are much more common.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The Fool posted:

Pretty much.

Most places in the US don't have robust public transportation and people just drive their own cars to and from work, as a result the company feels no obligation to provide any assistance.

The places that do provide transportation assistance do it as a perk as mentioned above and are in the larger cities where train/bus/subway commutes are much more common.

I drive my own car so I get the x cents per km perk. I think people driving company cars don't get that perk, instead they get a company credit card to buy fuel or something. But I'm not certain, I never had one.

I'm just getting annoyed by daily traffic jams so I'm looking for an apartment closer to work. If I find something I'll prob get a one-time bonus to cover the costs I have moving my stuff.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

My new office is two miles from my house and a straight shot on the bus. My total commute time is a bit under twenty minutes, and than includes time spent waiting for the bus and walking to and from bus stops.

It’s an improvement over the commute at my last job, which was a bit farther away and involved either one bus and lots of walking or two busses.

I am definitely spoiled. I’d get recruiters on LinkedIn telling me about some amazing tech job opportunity, and then it turns out that the company is way out in some suburban office park that is not served by public transit. Nope.

Vulture Culture posted:

I'm just grateful that with my 2-hour commute each way I can start from the train and have those hours mean something

:stonk:

I mean, at least it’s passive and you can get stuff done during that time, but still, that’s a huge chunk out of the day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Some NYC employers do that as a perk for their employees who commute from New Jersey. Commuting from NJ to NYC can easily be $300 or $400 a month.

Curious if you're confusing this with the state run program through wage works that makes this come out pre-tax?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Some employers get subsidies from their local area governments to back public transportation use. I know DC does sometimes and is a very popular benefit for local area companies within the beltway but once you go outside Metro is in another state you would think.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
5 - 1400 is the best schedule. With an hour lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's my daily commute. Tickets are more than I want to pay but still pretty reasonable given that I walk 10 minutes, spend 20 minutes on light rail and then take an elevator up a few floors.